z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Brown Eyes

by Nightshade27


Brown eyes, Brown eyes I cant forget.

They were burned into my mind that January,

Orbs of a deep, rich chocolate brown.

I could swear I saw your soul through them

So sweet and soft compared to mine,

That was the moment I fell in love,

Just with you, so pure and strong.

I remember it like a photograph in my head.

But somehow I could not see,

That I loved you when you couldn’t love me 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:19 am
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi there Nightshade27! Niteowl here to review this poem.

Overall, I think this starts out strong, but could have more to it.

Brown eyes, brown eyes I can't forget.


Just a few typos there.

Orbs of a deep, rich chocolate brown.


I don't think this line is necessary. The eyes as orbs comparison is pretty common, and you already said the subject's eyes are brown. I would instead flip the next two lines to improve the flow.

That was the moment I fell in love,

Just with you, so pure and strong.


1) You don't need a comma after love
2) I don't think you need the word "just" in there. "Just" belittles what it's talking about, and you're trying to describe a "pure and strong" emotion, not a diluted one.
3) Speaking of "pure and strong", it's unclear what it's supposed to be describing--the subject, or the speaker's love for the subject?

I remember it like a photograph in my head.


This line seems odd given the relative lack of imagery in this piece. There's hints of it in the beginning, with brown eyes and January, but I feel like there could be a lot more. Think about other senses, other traits of this person.

Was the rhyming in the last two lines intentional? It seems odd given that the rest of the poem does not rhyme. I would rework it so there isn't a rhyme.

A note about punctuation: It seems a little strange here, with commas at the end of nearly every line when sometimes a period or no punctuation would be more appropriate. If you're having trouble with this, I usually suggest punctuating like you would for prose (paragraph) form, unless you have a reason to do otherwise.

Overall, this has potential and some good lines, but I feel like it could flow better and have more imagery. Keep writing! :D




User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 238
Reviews: 28

Donate
Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:33 pm
Ivywater wrote a review...



Hello, Ivywater here for another review. Let me just start of saying... "It short of seems like of love poem to me..."

Anyways on to the REAL review.
This was really amazing, and I absolutely love it. It's happy, yet at the same time sad. This is so well written there isn't much I can change...
Wait...correction, there isn't anything I can change.

I just can't even express.... *squeal* I love when I see people as talented as you...

I. Loved. It. All.





The strongest people are not those who show their true strength in front of us but those who win battles we know nothing about.
— Unknown