Home » Literary works » Other » Other

The Teenage Mind. Part 3

by Morgan

There are two types of people. The ones easily manipulated and the ones who are not your type of person to mess with. I mean, have you met Cardi B? 

Cardi B is someone who is not afraid about what comes out of her mouth. She’ll say what she want anytime she wants, and she doesn’t care  if it hurts you or not. So yeah, if I were a bully at school, I would not recommend stealing her lunch money. Unless, you want to be the next Nicki Minaj and have a shoe thrown at you. 

Wait, then what about the other people? 

Oh, are you talking about the ones who can easily be pushed around? Everyone has a weakness and cares about something, but there are some people who just care to much about what the world thinks of them. Often, this can make them change who they really are, and  that can open a portal for the opinions of others to slip in. 

Being manipulated can mean when someone has attempted to influence your behavior or emotions of others for one’s purpose. Technically meaning, someone tries to MAKE you do things or feels things for that person’s wants or needs. This isn’t always the best situation to be in. 

So why do they do that? 

Let’s not say why do THEY do that, but why do you let THEM do it to you?  One reason is that you might hunger for attention and being liked by other people. Maybe you didn’t receive much attention at home or from someone that you had hoped to get that positive attention from. Maybe your parents or from a current relationship.  When you don’t receive the right kind of attention, this might lead you to a situation where you will actually search for it. 

This is most common in teenagers, and it can be very dangerous. Sounds like you? Then read carefully.

When you get manipulated, you meet someone that adores you or admires you in some way. You won’t always see it, but you actually love it. So you gravitate to that person who gives you what you like, and it’s the attention from that person. This can lead you to feeling as if you owe that person something or guilty when you disappoint them. 

Another HUGE and more DEEPER reason is that  you don’t know what it’s like to be truly wanted or valued for who you are. Therefore, you try and find a way to get people to actually want you, and you think that in order to do that is by giving them what they want. 

Why is this dangerous?

Simple, you might go looking for the wrong attention from the wrong person. That’s where you get these teenagers sneaking out late and getting themselves into huge trouble. For girls, it could even risk their lives. It’s not just about you, though. Think of the other people that will be affected as well. Your parents. Your friends. People who really care for you. 

How do you put an end to it?

Teachers, parents, and adults would tell you to say “No.” Especially, if that person is asking you to do something. Then if they were to ask “Why not?” Then you say, “Because I don’t want to.” If the interrogation starts to escalate or (worse) they start to threaten you, then don’t be afraid to do whatever you can to stop it. Don’t do it if you don’t want to. 

I totally agree with that, but sometimes it’s not always easey. That’s what adults always don’t get. Sometimes the obvious awnser isn’t always the easey one. As a teenager myself, I would trouble-shoot the problem before it becomes something bad. First, learn to know when someone is a manipulator, and stay far away from that person. Be careful and watch where the conversation is going. If you feel like it’s going to a point that could make you feel uncomfortable, then change the subject or find a good excuse to leave. 

Secondly, and most importantly, don’t be paranoid. Have you ever heard when someone says to someone who has fallen in love, “Don’t be easily manipulated.” Well, it’s true, and this can be very hard. If you start to have feelings for someone, I would suggest not going all out when you first meet that person. Get a chance to know him/her. 

For example, if you have ever watched the movie Frozen, Anna falls madly in love with Prince Hans, and we all know how that turned out. In the movie, Anna asks Elsa if she and Hans could get married, and Anna has only know the guy for ONE DAY. Turns out, Hans was just using Anna so he could be king of Arendelle. See? Anna had been manipulated. 

Finally, the third way to avoid being manipulated, is to have confidence in yourself. Have positive feelings about who you are. Sometimes, teenagers don’t have high values about themselves, but that doesn’t mean you should allow yourself to be hurt and pushed around by someone because honestly, the person you’re trying to get attention from is not in charge of your own happiness. How do you know for sure that that person has everything you need?

So here are my questions

Think of the hardest situation you would find yourself in when being manipulated. What would they ask of you? Would you have the strength to say “no”? What do you think is the hardest question someone might manipulate you to say or do? 

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:14 am
tinybookfarie says...

Oh my gosh. YAS QUEEN!!!! I have been trying so hard to find your stuff. Girl, this is lit!
okay, okay. I know I’m being so weird rn, but now let’s get into the review.

First off, I love the Cardi B thing. Kulture is gonna have a really protective mom, and the Frozen thing was a good example. I mean, this is deep. Good job! To awnser your question, they would probably ask me to do something terrible for them. Although, most teenagers use others for something they want. Mostly referring to like getting a guy or a girl. They act like they like you, but instead, they’re just manipulating you to use you to make someone else Jealous, and this what I see other teenagers do a lot.

I think I would have the strength to say “no”, but it would depend on what it is. I mean, awnsering your other question, the hardest thing someone would try and do to me is manipulate me to murder someone important to me or hurt myself. Then they would try to threaten me saying things like, “If you don’t we’ll hurt your family or friends.” And sometimes, saying “no” won’t be easey.

So yeah..Anyway, I like what you’re trying to do here. Make the reader think and all and then they’re answer is part of the review and stuff. Nice!
I can’t wait to see what else you come up with.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:13 am
tinybookfarie wrote a review...

Morgan says...

Oh my gosh! At last! I have been dying for you to review Some of my work. I know you asked when I would be writing some poems and stories, and I promise you that I will. Just hold on! Also, I%u2019m glad you that you mentioned about someone making you do something that drastic. I mean, I hope no one will ever have to go through that. Soo uncool!

Anyway, thank you for the review. I hope you review some of my next work. MAybe even my poems and stories!

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:11 am
JadeLotus wrote a review...

I liked this. If I said no to someone and they said 'why not,' I would tell them: No is a complete sentence. It needs no justification or explanation. If they are trying to manipulate me then why do I have to give them an answer? They should be on their knees begging me for forgiveness XD. I know I would say no to them and I hope I can see it before it's too late. I've known toxic people before. It sucks. I don't know why they would want to manipulate me. Maybe they want me to be mean to an ex-friend or maybe they just want to be my so-called friend so they can steal from me. Who knows? I enjoyed part three and I can't wait to see what you make for part 4, if you make one :)

Your friend,
Jade :)

Morgan says...

Hello again. Thank you for reviewing.. I know I can always count on you to review The Teenage Mind. I%u2019m not sure why people would want to manipulate others either. I guess it%u2019s because they just want something so bad that they%u2019ll use someone they think they can just push around to get it. And I%u2019m sorry if anyone has ever tried to manipulate you. It%u2019s not right and I%u2019m gald that would try and say %u201Cno%u201D to them.

Also, yes. I would be making a Part 4. I mean, how can I not? I%u2019m dizzy right now trying to figure out what the next one would be. Lol %uD83D%uDE06

JadeLotus says...

Maybe: Anxiety, depression, PTSD, traumatic childhood?

You maybe want to use one of the above if you have writer's block, I hope you don't mind me making suggestions. You don't have to use any if you don't want

Morgan says...

No, it%u2019s totally okay. Remember, I%u2019m not the champion at coming up with ideas...

There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.
— Bram Stoker