z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Prologue

by MapleWay


It’s been a week since we moved in and things are going as they usually do. Mom is finishing up unpacking, Dad’s already begun attempting to fix up the house, and Josie’s been trying to figure out the best place to put all her stuff. I don’t know why she bothers. It’s not like we stay in any house we move into for long.

I used the same formula, as always. My brown bed with light blue sheets in the right corner with my equally brown nightstand to its left, my gray desk with black legs in the left corner with my tin trash can under it, and my navy dresser wherever I have room. I actually wrote this down on my hand the other day so I wouldn’t forget.

Usually, we move into at least a semi-nice house. But this time around we ended up moving into this doghouse. The outside used to be a chestnut brown but since then has faded into a tan covered in green moss. On the inside, there is not a single place in it that doesn’t have a crack in the floorboard, a rip in the wallpaper, or a hole in the ceiling. Dad says he will fix it up soon but I’m not so sure. This might be a bit childish of me but sometimes I feel like there is something there waiting for me to let my guard down, so I don’t.

The only thing this house really has going for it is the property. There are twenty acres of it with a pine forest, a little pond with fish and ducks, and a small barn that Dad wants to turn into a game room. I like every part of it besides the forest. I don't know what it is about it but I feel it's haunted. I keep hearing all kinds of sounds coming from inside of it. It's probably just frogs and turkeys but it still gives me the creeps. At least I have school tomorrow.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 18
Reviews: 93

Donate
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:13 pm
MapleWay says...



Hey yall I have changed the last paragraph a little bit due to a change in plot.




User avatar
26 Reviews


Points: 185
Reviews: 26

Donate
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:26 pm
TheOffBroadwayAuthor wrote a review...



Good job! I'm definitely interested to see what happens next. I like that your narrator is detailed and precise, trying to create some sort of routine in his chaotic and constantly changing life. I like the foreshadowing of "Usually, we move into at least a semi-nice house. But this time around we ended up moving into this doghouse." Something's going to be different this time. My critique for you is that the last paragraph doesn't have the same character voice as the rest of the story, you might want to take that one around the block one more time. Thank you for your story, and good luck with the next chapter!




MapleWay says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:11 pm
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi MapleWay,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

For a first chapter or prologue, it's very solid. In the first paragraph, you introduce the narrator's family and you can get a good idea of the situation right away because you connect the individual members with an activity.

It's not like we stay in any house we move into for long.


A good introduction has to have something like that. It raises the question of what exactly is the reason for it and whether it will be mentioned in the plot of the story.

I used the same formula, as always. My brown bed with light blue sheets in the right corner with my equally brown nightstand to its left, my grey desk with black legs in the left corner with my tin trash can under it, and my navy dresser wherever I have room. I actually wrote this down on my hand the other day so I wouldn't forget.


A very good insight into the narrator's personality. He doesn't always seem to be open to new things, but refers back more to permanence. The last sentence is an interesting piece of info and also reveals more about the narrator's mind. Is he really just forgetful or does he like to plan things so as not to make mistakes later?

What still needs a little work are the descriptions. The last section in particular seems a little rushed and hastily written. It seems a bit like a list. You could expand a bit more and maybe mention a few things that could help the reader visualise the places better. You have already used this style in the second paragraph, when the narrator tells about his room. I still think it's okay then, because it's part of his own room.
Your few descriptions are good, though, and you try to include the family members with them again.

Nevertheless, I think it's a good introduction for a novel. It's just that you don't know yet what exactly is going to happen, but that gives me a reason to keep reading. :D

Mailice.




MapleWay says...


Thanks for the review! I think I will add a little description to the end. And ya, I did;t want to reveal too much yet but I will talk more about the narrator and his family more in the next chapter!



User avatar
4095 Reviews


Points: 253238
Reviews: 4095

Donate
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:19 pm
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

First Impression: Hmm..this was a pretty good first chapter. Feels like its maybe missing just a couple...of things but for the most part it's not all that bad and I think it would make for a pretty interesting story.

Anyway let's get right to it,

It’s been a week since we moved in and things are going as they usually do. Mom is finishing up packing, Dad’s already begun attempting to fix up the house, and Josie’s been trying to figure out the best place to put all her stuff. I don’t know why she bothers. It’s not like we stay in any house we move into for long.


Hmm...well that's an interesting paragraph to start things off...very interesting indeed. Not exactly the flashiest of opening paragraphs but it isn't boring in any sense and umm...I do think its got a certain catchiness to it...let's see where this ends up going.

I use the same formula, as always. Bed in the right corner with a nightstand to its left, desk in the left corner with a trashcan under it, and my dresser wherever I have room. I actually wrote this down on my hand the other day so I wouldn’t forget.


Hmm...well having a dynamic and easy to remove room arrangement sounds like a great plan to have if you do move around a lot. That's all conveyed pretty nicely there, this is looking pretty good so far for a first chapter.

Usually, we move into at least a semi-nice house. But this time around we ended up moving into this doghouse. There is not a single place in it that doesn’t have a crack in the floorboard, a rip in the wallpaper, or a hole in the ceiling. Dad says he will fix it up soon but I’m not so sure. This might be a bit childish of me but sometimes I feel like there is something there waiting for me to let my guard down, so I don’t.


Oh dear...well that's not a great situation to be moving into...oh well at least this one isn't complaining too much but taking it in stride. Should be quite an interesting protagonist here going forward.

The only thing this house really has going for it is the property. There is a little forest, a little pond, and a barn that Dad wants to turn into a game room. It is pretty cool but I have always been a bit more of an inside guy. Though I doubt it will be long before Mom kicks me out to get some fresh air. At least I have school tomorrow.


Hmm...okay nice bit of description there to establish the surroundings. It sounds a tad on the rushed side but I think it still gets the point across decently well. Now the one thing I do think might be a slightly pressing issue here is there isn't too much of a hook here. It seems like a fairly normal move, to a bit of a terrible house but even that doesn't seem to have affected them all that much I would maybe think if you included something a little bit more that would get people asking questions it might be better. Anyway that's what I think...xD

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall I think this is a pretty interesting story that you have right here. I did enjoy reading this quite a bit and despite me pointing out a couple of things I really think this could be a pretty good story. Anyway that's all I've gotta say.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




MapleWay says...


Thanks for the review! Also, have you read the new version? I added more description and changed it into a prologue.



User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 18
Reviews: 93

Donate
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:33 pm
View Likes
MapleWay says...



I took a lot of your ideas and changed it up a tiny bit. Also since it was pretty short I decided to change it into a prologue.




User avatar
70 Reviews


Points: 415
Reviews: 70

Donate
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:50 pm
View Likes
BEASTtheHUN wrote a review...



This story has a very nice flow to it. The way that you described the room was simply splendid. I find myself looking for more, I feel like I am missing something. The first line doesn't really suck you in as much as it makes me feel like I am coming in missing something. I can't wait for what you come up with. Also side note, I really don't get a fantasy vibe, and I don't really get humor, but otherwise nice story.




MapleWay says...


Thanks for the review! And fantasy and humor will come more later!



User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 10714
Reviews: 122

Donate
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:29 pm
View Likes
LUNARGIRL wrote a review...



Hello, LUNARGIRL here with a review!
Let's get straight to it!

It’s been a week since we moved in and things are going as they usually do. Mom is finishing up packing, Dad’s already begun attempting to fix up the house, and Josie’s been trying to figure out the best place to put all her stuff. I don’t know why she bothers. It’s not like we stay in any house we move into for long.


Good start, in the first chapter you have already been able to introduce some of the characters to the story and give a brief description of what they are doing. You have also already told us something about the main character and her family, that they never stay in one place for long.

I use the same formula, as always. Bed in the right corner with a nightstand to its left, desk in the left corner with a trashcan under it, and my dresser wherever I have room. I actually wrote this down on my hand the other day so I wouldn’t forget.


I don't know why, but to me using the word formula in the first sentence just doesn't sound right, but that's totally up to you if you want to change it or not. The word trash can is two words, easy mistake. Also, if the character moves around so much, would they really need to write down where everything would go? Wouldn't they already know the layout of how they want everything to be because they have already done it so many times?

Usually, we move into at least a semi-nice house. But this time around we ended up moving into this doghouse. There is not a single place in it that doesn’t have a crack in the floorboard, a rip in the wallpaper, or a hole in the ceiling. Dad says he will fix it up soon but I’m not so sure. This might be a bit childish of me but sometimes I feel like there is something there waiting for me to let my guard down, so I don’t.


Nice description of how run down the house is, I think you could have gone a little more into depth and have told us more about the house. For example, what color the house is or how many floors or rooms.

The only thing this house really has going for it is the property. There is a little forest, a little pond, and a barn that Dad wants to turn into a game room. It is pretty cool but I have always been a bit more of an inside guy. Though I doubt it will be long before Mom kicks me out to get some fresh air. At least I have school tomorrow.


[bold]There is a little forest, a little pond[/bold] In this sentence part you use the word 'little' twice so you might want to work on your word choice.

Overall, this was a very short chapter and I think you might want to work on making it longer because there is so much you could add to it. I think you should work on character description too, because so far I know almost nothing about the main character. I think this was a good start to your story, and I can't wait to read what you write next!




MapleWay says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 49988
Reviews: 701

Donate
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:54 am
View Likes
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...



Hello, ForeverYoung299 here for a review.

This was a great start. The description of the house was good. I think the house is nearby(at least not so far) to the earlier house because you stated that you have school tomorrow. And it takes time for admission in a school.
Glows:
This was a great start. I liked the way you introduced the characters and a bit about their personality. And I genuinely liked writing in 1st person, although it is hard to find such in my works. .

Grows:
You could provide some more descriptions of the characters. In the second line there was a part called mom is finishing up packing

That line is vague. Why was your mom packing after coming to a new house? You could use arranging each and everything in proper places instead of packing. I don't know what you intended to say. If you tell me I can suggest a better replacement.
I don't think dog house is a good word there. I understood you used it as a metaphor but then also it's not that suitable. You can search for any other word to describe. Umm.. You can use the word dilapidated. You have to flesh out the characters at any cost.

Suggestions–
The first line isn't that catchy. If a reader has thousands of works to read, the reader might not choose your work. I can't suggest any first line because I don't know what the novel is about. You can describe your relationship with Josie. I wanna know what your novel is about.

Overall, a very good work. Can you pls tag me in the next chapter?




MapleWay says...


Thanks for the review!



MapleWay says...


And yes I'll tag you!





Welcome and thanks




Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
— Holden Caulfield