by MapleWay

"Time to get up!" Noah's mom shouted while walking by his door. "You don't want to be late for your first day of seventh-grade!" His eyes fluttered open, not comprehending the command he had just been given. He turned on his side and took a look at the clock. His eyes grew wide with fear as he sprung out of bed. "8:15," it said in bold neon red font. The bus would be here in fifteen minutes and he hadn't done squat.

He quickly got dressed, brushed his teeth, packed his lunch, and put his favorite cap on. It was his favorite not because of how it looked, but because of the memories it brought him. He had gotten it before what he had decided to call, "The Great Move." He had a minute or so until the bus arrived so he decided to sit outside and eat a breakfast bar while he waited for it to arrive.

While waiting, he thought about his ideal school day. He decided his ideal school day would consist of three things. One, he had at least one nice, comfortable seat in the very back of one of his classes. Two, he was able to somewhat understand the curriculum. And three, he wouldn’t make any new friends. He was abruptly awakened from his little fantasy when the bus came. He got up from the rock he was sitting on and climbed aboard.

The bus driver gave him a faint smile that was obviously fake, and gestured with her hand to take a seat. He did so and took an empty window seat in the third row. It looked as if no one was going to take the seat next to him, until a boy with baggy jeans, black sneakers, and a navy V-neck t-shirt got on. He looked at Noah and smiled, but it wasn't a fake smile like the one the bus driver had given him. It was a pure, genuine smile. Noah knew this meant he would be coming over and plopping his blackish-grey bag right next to him. He was right.

"Hey!" he said, still holding the same smile he had before, "I'm Jack. What's your name?" Noah looked over at him responded in his best, "Oh, I just noticed you were there" smile.

"Um, my name is Noah."

"That's a cool name! Are you new here?" Noah, wanting to end this conversation as soon as possible, gave a simple nod.

"That's cool. Where do you live?" Oh gosh! It was the dreaded question! He would have to tell him in hopes of not being rude. He only wished Jack wouldn't put this information to any use, considering he only lives a couple of houses down.

"Um, just a bit down that way." He pointed back in the direction of his house.

"Do you mean that small house with the big forest, pond, and barn?" Oh man, he knew.

"Um, ya."

"That house has been abandoned for years!"

"Really?" he asked. Pretending he hadn't known.

"Ya! I've always thought that place was so cool!"

"Seriously?"

"Ya! The house its self isn't the best but I don't tend to do much inside besides eat, sleep, and do my homework." Suddenly, the bus pulled up to the school.

"Oh, I guess I'll see you later." Jack sighed.

"See you," Noah replied. For the rest of the day, he was thinking about what Jack had said. "Is it really that nice? Have I been overreacting?" These thoughts brought back a feeling he direly hated. The feeling of uncertainty. When it came to the rest of the day, he ended up having six seats in the front of the class and one in the middle, all of which were very uncomfortable. He also had a hard time understanding each classes curriculum due to the fact he couldn’t get his mind off what Jack had said. He got home, spent a couple of hours on homework, and fell asleep.

Hi MapleWay,

To compare with the prologue, I can tell you've improved. I noticed it in your descriptions and also in your structure. What I liked was that you got a better look into Noah's personality and what he thinks of school.

What I think could be improved are the short thoughts Noah has. To make them stand out more from the text, I would write them in a tilted font so that you can now distinguish whether they are his thoughts or the narrator's text.

I also found that the second half of the chapter ended very quickly and fast. I initially thought there was more to come. I don't know what advice I can give you to make your chapters work in the second half as well as the first half (because you did it very well there; Noah getting up, his routine in the morning and his thoughts all the way to the bus ride.) but my advice would be to make a little list of bullet points of what to include.
You can also do this after you've finished a chapter and where you think the text could be expanded a bit.

Otherwise, I thought it was a good chapter. You get to see more of Noah's character. But what remains a mystery is the title of the story and what is going to happen. I am curious!

Mailice.

MapleWay says...

Thanks for the review! I'm not sure how I could make it longer but I liked the idea for the tilted font! I'll definitely do that! Also at the new of the next chapter, there will be a little teaser for what happens!

BEASTtheHUN wrote a review...

I like the beginning of this story, the end seems a little rushed though, which doesn't really help with the flow. I like how you highlighted the character of Noah. Classe's, should be classes. "each classe’s curriculum." I like how your dialogue flows, I find that that's the one most people struggle with. So far it really is a nice story.

MapleWay says...

Thanks for the review! I changed classe's to classes.

Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:18 am
TheOffBroadwayAuthor wrote a review...

Nice job! You established Noah's character very well. I have two critiques: "'Where do you live?' Oh no! It was the dreaded question! He would have to tell him in hopes of not being rude." is a little clunky. The "Oh no!" comes across as sarcastic, since that's normally how people use it. Aside from that, Jack and Noah's conversation is hard to follow, you might want to put in a few dialogue tags. Other than that, you did well! Good luck with the next chapter.

MapleWay says...

Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:38 pm

First Impression: Hmm...as far as first chapters go, I think this one does a pretty good job. I actually liked it a quite a bit, for a storyline like what you've got here, this is a pretty decent introduction to the characters that will be playing the big roles, a little thing on general setting but that's okay. And interesting enough to hook readers I think.

"Time to get up!" Noah's mom shouted while walking by his door. His eyes fluttered open, not comprehending the command he had just been given. He turned on his side and took a look at the clock. His eyes grew wide with fear as he sprung out of bed. "8:15," it said in bold neon red font. The bus would be here in fifteen minutes and he hadn't done squat.

Ooof...very relatable passage opening this story up...oh dear...getting up late is always the worst and also a great way to draw readers into the story...this is off to a great start so far.

Hmm...naming things...I like this already...and the great move has a nice ring to it. Also love little details like that. It makes the whole story feel just that bit more realistic when stuff like that's woven in there.

Oh dear...well strangely familiar wishes that are eerily similar to my own ones when going to school...but yeah okay...let's see. I'm loving our protagonist so far. Seems like a very relatable person at any rate.

I think that might have been slightly too much detail on the smiles. It was a slight bit of overkill I think at least it felt like it dragged on just a word or two too long for me. Otherwise going good so far.

"Um, my name is Noah."

Typical enough introductions....nicely done.

"That's cool. Where do you live?" Oh no! It was the dreaded question! He would have to tell him in hopes of not being rude. He only wished Jack wouldn't put this information to any use, considering he only lives a couple of houses down.

Well that seems like a generic friendly person so far...at least judging from what I can see so far. I sense no ulterior motives...although why I'm looking for ulterior motives is an entirely different conversation.

"Do you mean that small house with the big forest, pond, and barn?" Oh gosh, he knew.

"Um, ya."

Well...that was busted really fast.

Predictable twist in the conversation but I do like it...

Hmm...that sigh was...interesting.

"See you," Noah replied. For the rest of the day, he was thinking about what Jack had said. "Is it really that nice? Have I been overreacting?" These thoughts brought back a feeling he direly hated. The feeling of uncertainty. When it came to the rest of the day, he ended up having six seats in the front of the class and one in the middle, all of which were very uncomfortable. He also had a hard time understanding each classe’s curriculum due to the fact he couldn’t get his mind off what Jack had said. He got home, spent a couple of hours on homework, and fell asleep.

Poor guy didn't manage get any of his wishes did he...oh dear...well...it can't get any worse can it?

Overall: Overall this was a pretty cool story and I did enjoy it. I will definitely read on if you post more chapters of it and thanks for the tag.

MapleWay says...

Thanks for the review! I might take some of your advice on the smile as well!

Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:37 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hello! Forever young for a short review.

Why did you change the perspective??? In the prologue, you wrote in first person, which was very cool but you changed the person- here you wrote in third person. I think you should not change it. Write in first person or third person- whichever suits you the best.

The beginning was rather common. You can get an other beginning. The rest of the story, I was hooked throughout. I enjoyed the story. Waiting for the next chapter. Well done with it.
Enjoyed reading!!!
Bye!!!!

MapleWay says...

Thanks for the review! And I posted a comment on my wall talking about the first and third-person change on my wall.

Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:59 am
cidrianwritersguild wrote a review...

*Irish accent*

Hello there, Sir/Lady Maple! We're here to give you our totally objective and necessary opinion on your work of literature.

It's an interesting premise to be sure, although we're not entirely certain yet why it's classified as a fantasy, seeing as how it seems to be set in the modern era.

Noah intrigues us. He seems to be...rather paranoid. We understand the mentality of introversion, being scholarly we get our fair share of criticism, but Noah seems to be overly suspicious when it comes to people in general. Although this could be Noah being very meta and knowing that as he is the protagonist of a story, one of his friends must betray him.

We do have a question about the setting though. It seems odd (to us) that Noah would live in an area with a barn, in what we assume is his backyard, but still live near enough people to warrant a bus route. Perhaps this is meant to be a shed? Don't listen to us if we're off base. Quite often we don't give enough description as we can picture the scene perfectly in our minds.

Turning to the more positive, you've written Jack's character extremely well. As he's coming from Noah's point of view (an extreme introvert we assume) he's meant to be almost unbearably friendly and affable and that's exactly what he comes off as.

We also appreciate your style of writing. It's succinct. A while back we tried to write a murder mystery, realized we didn't have the patience for it, and the story suffered for it. Because of this, we realized we appreciate a snappy story. Yours delivers, it gets the point across. However, that's not to say it's too quick. You do a good job of crossing that divide between details and moving the plot forward.

All in all, we wish you well on this story, it seems to be going well so far!

Sláinte,

The Cidrian Writer's Guild

MapleWay says...

Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:35 am
Spearmint wrote a review...

Hi MapleWay, Spearmint here for a review! Overall, I really enjoyed this first chapter and I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen next c: On to some feedback...

"Time to get up!" Noah's mom shouted while walking by his door.

Beginning with a line of dialogue is often a nice way to grab the reader's attention, but I sort of feel like this entire first paragraph might be a bit cliché. (I've read quite a few stories before that start with the main character waking up and being late for something.) Of course, this might all just be me, but I believe you're definitely capable of starting with something more original! For example, instead of including all the mundane details like brushing teeth and packing lunch, perhaps you could just start at the part where Noah thinks about his ideal school day? Here's one way to do it:

What would my ideal school day be like? Noah pondered this question as he munched on a breakfast bar. As the soon-to-be middle schooler waited for the bus, he decided upon three criteria. Well, firstly, I would have at least...

Sorry, this might not be the best example (I'm not sure if Noah's even a middle schooler XD) but I guess my point is that you don't really need the stuff at the beginning. Most of your readers know what a typical getting-ready-for-school routine would be like. Although, as always, this is just my opinion and you definitely don't have to change anything! I think your story's great as it is ^^ Moving on...

And three, he wouldn’t make any new friends.

Okay, I'm super intrigued by this part. Why doesn't Noah want to make new friends? Is he just extremely shy? Or perhaps... is he hiding something? :eyes: Whatever it is, I can't wait to find out! :]

Oh no! It was the dreaded question! He would have to tell him in hopes of not being rude.

Haha I can totally sympathize with Noah here! He doesn't want to continue the conversation, but he still tries to be polite about it XD
I think you've done a great job building up Noah's character so far; the reader gets the sense that he's generally a nice person, but there's also something unusual about his idea of a perfect school day...

"Seriously?"

"Ya! The house its self isn't the best but I don't tend to do much inside besides eat, sleep, and do my homework."

Hmm I'm a little confused about who's saying what here. It seems like Jack says the first line, and then Noah asks, "Seriously?" but then who says the part about the house itself not being the best? If it's Jack, how does he know what the house is like? And if it's Noah, why is the dialogue on a separate line? Or am I just missing something here? (Which is entirely possible as well :p) But either way I'd appreciate it if you could clarify this! ^-^

When it came to the rest of the day, he ended up having six seats in the front of the class and one in the middle, all of which were very uncomfortable. He also had a hard time understanding each classe’s curriculum due to the fact he couldn’t get his mind off what Jack had said.

Interesting... it appears as if Noah's first criterion for a perfect school day has not been met (the seats one), and neither has the second (understanding his classes). But the third criterion (not making friends) hasn't been mentioned... *suspicious* (in a really good way XD)
I like that you make the reader think here-- right now I'm wondering if the third criterion also hasn't been met (because of Jack). But I guess I'll have to wait for the next chapter to find out for sure if Jack and Noah become friends...

In summary, I had fun reading this chapter and I'm super excited to read the next one-- keep writing! ^_^

MapleWay says...

Thank you so much for the review! I'll clarify a couple of the points you mentioned real quick! First of all I liked the example you used, in the beginning, could I tweak that around and use that? I assumed I probably could but wanted to make sure. Second, in the third line, it is Jack. And he knows because he lives a couple of houses down and has seen the outside. I was also thinking that the house could be somewhat "famous" on the street. Anyways thanks for the thoughtful review! I'll tag you in the next chapter!

MapleWay says...

Wow. I wrote a review for your review! xD

Spearmint says...

haha thanks for the review for my review XDD
You can definitely use my example, and thank you so much for asking first! ^_^
And I see now, it's cool that the house is rather famous :]
Please do tag me when you post the next chapter, and I hope you have a great weekend! :D

MapleWay says...

Thanks! You too!

Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:01 am
Ilium417 wrote a review...

Hey hey! I'm here for a review! :D
The first thing I noticed was the use of dialogue as the first line. It's one of my personal favorite ways to open a story (especially because I'm not always the best with opening lines XD) but because it also shows the reader that this is actually a story, not just a retelling of events.
During that conversation between Jack and Noah, I really liked how you added little tidbits of what Noah was thinking. "Oh gosh he knew" and "pretending he didn't know"- nice touches! It helped us get to know Noah a bit better.

At the beginning, you write that he was in a really big hurry then suddenly he had a minute to spare. It's a little inconsistent and I think that it might be better if he was running a little bit late to foreshadow the rest of the day going poorly and not as he had planned.

The other thing I have to say is that for most of the first chapter, we don't know that it's Noah's first day at school and we have to infer that he's antisocial. The inferring is awesome but it might be a good idea to include a little more context about the new school and stuff and that the move was recent?

Besides that, I think this can be a great story! :D
Peace and Tacos be with you!

MapleWay says...

Thanks! I'll take a look at a couple of these suggestions!

Ilium417 says...

No problem!
Also, I just published the first chapter of my book! Would you be willing to read it if ya get a chance?
(It's called the Wolf)

MapleWay says...

Definitely! I'll read it and review it tomorrow!

Ilium417 says...

Thank you! Peace and Tacos be with you! :D

MapleWay says...

Peace and tacos be with you too!

You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote