z

Young Writers Society



Memory #109086

by erilea


(Note: It has forgotten its name, so we will call it a “he” for the sake of clarity.)

He wanders through a gray landscape and looks for a place where he belongs. He sees many other figures—some nameless and dull like himself, others vibrant and dancing across the ground. He watches with no reaction at all. He is only looking for one thing, and while he may not know what it is yet, he will know once he finds it.

And he keeps going. Not walking, exactly, because he doesn’t walk. No one in this dreary place does. They float more than anything, like spirits.

So he floats on, looking around at nothing in particular. There is a place where the bright, dancing creatures leap about and pay no mind to the dull, lifeless ones next to them. He thinks this is what he’s searching for—somewhere he can rest forever.

He observes this all without a word, staring at the colorful creatures celebrating in their own little place. Some of them are splashed with red, some yellow, some a brilliant purple that shines right in his eyes and very nearly blinds him. He looks down at himself and finds only a bland gray. He has never been self-conscious before—creatures like him don’t exactly have feelings—but something pitters through him and sputters to a stop.

It doesn’t feel good, so he quells the feeling and keeps going.

It is an eternity before he finds it. Well, perhaps not, because time is tricky in this place, but to him, it feels like a very long wait. Waits are always very long when you are waiting for something you want.

It is a place very much like the one for the dancing creatures—not a building, not anything marked off from the rest of the landscape—but creatures like him huddle in that area, with others slowly making their way to the space.

And he goes as well, knowing that this is what he wanted to find all along. Once he gets there, a creature just like him looks him up and down, giving him the impression that it can see into the very depths of his—

(Here, we must stop to avoid confusion. It might be thought that the word soul would be used, but he does not have a soul, he is a part of a soul.)

So, it gives him the impression that it can see everything he is, and everything he is made of, and again something like a feeling but not quite a feeling put-puts through him. The other creature talks to him, making a sound not that much different from a human voice. “You are Memory #109086. Please take a seat.”

And he looks past the creature, at all the other creatures waiting in the area, and he takes a seat.

But if he had only looked a little closer, he would’ve seen a bit of blue right over where his heart would be.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
485 Reviews


Points: 21027
Reviews: 485

Donate
Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:41 pm
View Likes
Elijah wrote a review...



Hey there, Eli here for a review of your wonderful work!

I did not expect such an outcome. To be honest, I expected you to be telling us about someone, something even maybe, that has gone through a lot and now they are dead or in some kind of a parallel universe where they can finally find the place they needed to be their whole life and stay peacefully there. But it turned out that our character was actually part of one's soul, a memory that is unique to its own kind. Each memory is unique and stores so many emotions, past events and maybe things we do not want to even remember. I did not expect such a turn into this work. Still, I am thrilled by its concept. I do not know if the concept of the dancing happy ones were that some memories were of emotional and positive events or something that is totally out of this road that I am currently walking on but this is how I understood it and it also gives them a special meaning. I love your little remarks in between the work to specify for us what is going on because the reader would get confused. And it was like a little sneak peek towards the real meaning of the work. It was very touching in the end to give the memory a reason, giving the gray something light of hope. A heart.


He sees many other figures—some nameless and dull like himself, others -/, vibrant and dancing across the ground.

They float more than anything, like spirits. (great sentence, it caught my eye the most and it gives enough information for the creatures)

So, it gives him the impression that it can see everything he is, and everything he is made of, and again, something like a feeling but not quite a feeling put-puts through him.



Keep on writing!




erilea says...


Thanks for the review! :D



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:41 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Hey there,

Only the one nit-pick, so well done on that!

looks for a place he belongs in

That's a little bit clunky. Something like "place where he belongs" or even "place he belongs" might work.

Overall:

Character: You do this really well. You convey the little bits of information about him in really interesting, quite sweet ways. The only problem with him is that he's mostly bland grey, then the twist is that he's also blue. This suggests he's boring, and the twist is that he's sad. This doesn't cause a whole lot of conflict, because boring and sad aren't too far apart, especially when you describe the grey as "bland" (also ignore all the british spellings in this review). Unless blue means something better than I think it does? It wouldn't make too much of a difference to your core concept I don't think, to have him be more oppositional categories of memory.

Setting: This is a really interesting image of well, a soul. I like the image of him floating, but it may be a little too cliché to need to be picked out to be described. It's fine, but it's not quite as interesting as your idea of all the colours dancing about.

Plot: This is adorable. I love this concept. I literally have no more to say here.

Flow: This is a really nice way to tell the story as well. It's sort of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy like, with this bit:

(Here, we must stop to avoid confusion. It might be thought that the word soul would be used, but he does not have a soul, he is a part of a soul.)

It's like I'm reading about this in a book, which is very immersive. Good job!

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




erilea says...


Thanks for the review! :)



User avatar
265 Reviews


Points: 16
Reviews: 265

Donate
Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:19 pm
View Likes
myjaspercat wrote a review...



(Note: It has forgotten its name, so we will call it a “he” for the sake of clarity.)

He wanders through a gray landscape and looks for a place he belongs in. He sees many other figures—some nameless and dull like himself, others vibrant and dancing across the ground.Mmm, I love this. He watches with no reaction at all.I like this, but feel like it could be more He is only looking for one thing, and while he may not know what it is yet, he will know once he finds it.

And he keeps going. He’s You don't really need the he here not walking, exactly, because he doesn’t walk. No one in this dreary place does. They float more than anything, like spirits. I want to know why this place is dreary if possible

So he floats on, looking around at nothing in particular. There is a place where the bright, dancing creatures stay. They laugh and jump and pay no mind to the lifeless figures hovering next to them. He thinks this is what he’s searching for—somewhere he can rest forever. While I love this paragraph, it confused me a little bit.

He observes this all without a word, staring at the colorful creatures celebrating in their own little place. Some of them are splashed with red, some yellow, some a brilliant purple that shines right in his eyes and very nearly blinds him. He looks down at himself and finds only a bland gray. He has never been self-conscious before—creatures like him don’t exactly have feelings—but something pitters through him and sputters to a stop.The ending of this paragraph feels like the strongest to me as well it feels like it could be foreshadowing something [but maybe not]

-----

But if he had only looked a little closer, he would've seen a bit of blue right over where his heart would be. Ok, I lied, this is perhaps the strongest line of the entire piece.


Wow. I love that. For it being as abstract and simple as it was, it was beautiful. The descriptions were spot on and the idea was super clear. I loved the parts in the parenthesis I thought that was a nice touch. Other then that, good job. Continue writing.




erilea says...


Thanks for the review!




Every time someone steps up and says who they are, the world becomes a better, more interesting place.
— Captain Raymond Holt