z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Dear Diary

by erilea


1-1-14

Dear Diary,

Happy New Year! Today, we were off school, and Daddy brought home a horde of fireworks. My favorite were the sparklers, since they lasted so long that you could run around the house and make it back without them running out. We burned a candle so that we could light the sparklers. We had to keep relighting it, since it burned out every five minutes randomly.

I couldn't say our driveway was clean afterwards. We had streak marks from the vivid smoke bombs, scattered here and there. A few fireworks littered the sidewalk, the ones that whizzed all over the place. A bag from the millions of snapdragons was right beside a driveway crack, and wax from the candle was collected around the grass. Tomorrow, my eighth birthday is occurring, and I will definitely see to your update!

Love,

Lindsey

1-2-14

Dear Diary,

Oh my gosh! It was great! So, I invited two friends over, Alexandra and Kayla. We had the most fun ever, playing the whole time with American Girl dolls. My favorite was Saige, and Kayla liked Kit. Alexandra liked Rebecca. We talked about teachers and school and how it was going to end, and how we would act.

I had cheesecake for dinner, and we put whipped cream on it to see the taste. I got a Saige doll and book from Kayla, a book making kit from Alexandra, and a kitten from my mom and dad. I named it Pepper. My grandparents sent their best regards, and I hope you do too!

Love,

Lindsey (age eight) 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4237 Reviews


Points: 293881
Reviews: 4237

Donate
Fri May 28, 2021 10:34 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

First Impression: Well...this was a really wholesome little story this one...ahh its just so cute...and I just love how simple and very eight year oldish the writing is here...its just a nice little story to read here.

Anyway let's get right to it,

Happy New Year! Today, we were off school, and Daddy brought home a horde of fireworks. My favorite were the sparklers, since they lasted so long that you could run around the house and make it back without them running out. We burned a candle so that we could light the sparklers. We had to keep relighting it, since it burned out every five minutes randomly.


Oooh, well that sounds like the start like a pretty wholesome diary entry so far. It definitely seems like a nice and typical fun new years day celebration there with that candle acting quite strange there...oh dear...well it was probably just the wind there...so yeah all in all sounds like a very typical start to a diary entry probably by someone that's fairy young and well its just a really wholesome little passage to read here...let's see where this goes I suppose.

I couldn't say our driveway was clean afterwards. We had streak marks from the vivid smoke bombs, scattered here and there. A few fireworks littered the sidewalk, the ones that whizzed all over the place. A bag from the millions of snapdragons was right beside a driveway crack, and wax from the candle was collected around the grass. Tomorrow, my eighth birthday is occurring, and I will definitely see to your update!


Oooh...well my theory about this being from a really young person is definitely right if they're only eight years old. I'm no expert on writing children that age but this definitely feels like something a girl that age would write. And well the description of their garage there and how its a mess is also really nicely done. ALso that last line about the birthday being almost shoved in there as an afterthought without being given a proper separate paragraph also adds to it and makes it seem like something an eight year old would write which is another awesome detail to have. Hmm, well let's see how this birthday goes. :D

Oh my gosh! It was great! So, I invited two friends over, Alexandra and Kayla. We had the most fun ever, playing the whole time with American Girl dolls. My favorite was Saige, and Kayla liked Kit. Alexandra liked Rebecca. We talked about teachers and school and how it was going to end, and how we would act.


Oooh....well that certainly sounds like she had a lot of fun there...I'm loving the way that these diary entries are constructed so far, its very accurate for someone that age and its just suuper wholesome to read about a young girl just having a lot of fun celebrating her birthday with her friends...just the kind of story to leave you smiling after reading it, a rarity for YWS...xD

I had cheesecake for dinner, and we put whipped cream on it to see the taste. I got a Saige doll and book from Kayla, a book making kit from Alexandra, and a kitten from my mom and dad. I named it Pepper. My grandparents sent their best regards, and I hope you do too!


Hmm...well that's certainly a lovely ending to what must have been a wonderful day and this wholesome little story comes to an end then I see. :D

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Well...this story definitely has the vibe of something that's come right out of the diary of a little girl here...and its just such a wholesome little story to read...and well honestly, that's about all I've gotta say here.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




erilea says...


oh my goodness i wrote this seven years ago T^T i was quite literally eight at the time so it's a relief to know that i nailed the voice
thanks for commenting!



KateHardy says...


xD...you're welcome...I'm trawling through these old stories here and there...I never realized you were actually eight :D...well this is an awesome story for an eight year old.



erilea says...


thanks!! it's always interesting to through the archive of old stories lol



KateHardy says...


Np
Yup...'tis a lot of fun...xD



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 512
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:49 am
Pinkieishere1345 wrote a review...



Hi, wisegirl22. This is Pinkieishere1345 here. I like to review your work as I tried to do my best on it.

This is a very good. You made a great diary of someone writing a letter to a person called Lindsey. You made it seems like a real letter from someone else which it is good. Also, I got to agree with SarahJo. I know that I am two years older than you and I can see some errors in this diary, but on here...this seems like you did some big words that adults know to learn. I think you are smart little girl, wisegirl22. You did a great job on this one. I love to read more from you. Well, have a great night.

Good Job!

Love,

Pinkieishere1345




erilea says...


Thx!



User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 1511
Reviews: 47

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:03 pm
View Likes
SARAHJO wrote a review...



Hello there, Sarah here to review for ya!

First, let me just say that I love how real you made this feel. It's as if you literally just ripped a page from a little girl's diary. It reminds me of the times I used to write stuff like this when I was little and it just made me smile the whole way through.

As for my nitpicks, I think 'writer88' already listed most of them below, but I'm still gonna nag you on just one (don't kill me, please)! I think your writing style was great and your use of words really stood out... Except for the fact that this was an eight year old little girl speaking. What kind of took away from the real feel of the entry was how... Big of words she used (well, big for an eight year old). There are some words in there that aren't usually learned in the third grade and I found it odd coming from a little girl. But other than that, grammar, spelling, etc. is on point!

Overall, I love this! It's cute and innocent just like a regular girl's diary should be. I think you did a wonderful job portraying the story, it was great. Hope you continue to do more and happy writing!




erilea says...


Actually, I used the words I learned in third grade and before...



SARAHJO says...


I said usually aren't used. I didn't mean to offend you, just giving my critique!



erilea says...


Oh, okay.



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 862
Reviews: 9

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:26 pm
View Likes
writer88 wrote a review...



Hey! Writer88 here to review!

It was pretty good! Just a couple critiques.

In this phrase,"Tomorrow, my eighth birthday is occurring...," I think the "is" should be a "will be."

Also in the sentence "My favorite was Saige, and Kayla liked Kit. Alexandra liked Rebecca.," I think you could use a different word other than liked. Here you used "liked" twice, and it got a bit repetitive. Change it up a little.

Maybe a little typo: "...and we put whipped cream on it to see the taste." See the taste?

Here I think you could combine this into one sentence: "...and a kitten from my mom and dad. I named it Pepper."

Maybe you can reword this sentence: "My grandparents sent their best regards, and I hope you do too!"

Now for praise. It was pretty good, I especially liked the vivid vocabulary in the first entry. Good work, particularly since you are so young-only 8 years old! Amazing!!! Keep writing and nurturing your talent!





Always do what you are afraid to do.
— E. Lockhart, We Were Liars