z

Young Writers Society


16+

1 Too early might as well be worse than too late

by Lorelie


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

To my Dear Reviewers (feel free to to spoil the spoiler... actually, forget it): *magically turns Colour tags into Spoiler tags* This is the latest version of the earliest draft this novel had. It may seem like I pasted some bits here and there, that's because it's true. That's how I started writing it, so don't judge. On the other hand, I wish to improve, and that's why I need you yewis. So, my favourite review would be... favourite bits and things it made you think and text quotes and unicorns... and cookies (not sure about unicorns though) Finally, please, please don't change your style because of me. I want to learn from your thinking.

The ground is cold here, but there is nowhere to go. Most people walk through the rain covered by their nifty umbrellas… I wish I had brought one. I wish someone could help, but they are all too busy with their lives. Someone is coming. I will just pretend I am sleeping. The steps are coming closer, just a little more… It does not stop. I open my eyes, I look at him, then around. He’s coming, he’s coming for me. I try to run, but I slip and fall on the road. He’s calling for me. No, not now…

My alarm clock was two minutes fast — or was the alarm bell two minutes slow? This time lapse allowed me to be two minutes ahead of those who had set their clock by the bell. During that time, I was free to choose between a wide range of free time activities, but I would rather take a break — otherwise I would end up wasting it with trying to make up my mind.

Therefore, during this fluke-based time lapse, I used to pass the time looking into space. I abandoned myself to dreamlike thinking, dreams that set in the space surrounding me and whose main character was dressed just like me. I felt like letting go of my body and like I was watching myself unconscious from outside.

And then, released from the burden of my body and my mind, I dreamt I flew away from all me… I think I really do, I think I can even touch the sky! I think about it every night and day, that I spread my wings and take off into the skies.

Eh, what is this gibberish all about? Stories of time lapses and skyscraper flights? When did I eventually stop making sense?… Can we start the novel now? Yes? Let’s do it then!

My alarm clock was two minutes fast, so I went down — since I was at the room having these thoughts (also, I slept upstairs)… I went down to Edgar and raised the subject. He listened closely and waited up until I was done to calmly give his opinion.

“You need to stop worrying. Two minutes is just about half nothing.”

He shut me up even before I could say a thing. He was known for his wise views — I had no reason to fight back, no way to turn it into any fight.

“You see, time is something we humans made ours — but it was there all along! We cannot count minutes, days, seasons forever — we won’t live enough!”

I chuckled. Edgar was one of a kind when it came to embarrassing my cleverness stardom into a simple wordplay.

“Why don’t you put that mindless thinking off your head and go out for a walk with me?”

We were walking past the front . I particularly enjoyed that part of the village because the grass was sparkling green in spring. Here and there you would wind up facing an apple tree or a blackberry bush, attracted by their scent and equally-pleasant colours of their flowers — or just because it was so hard not to find them, as these held my favourite fruits later in the year.

He stopped right beside me, gazing at the mountains, and said, “Do you know how the world is across that mountain?”

“No, sir. Is it even brighter and shinier than here?”

“No! Why would you say?!”

“Sir, do you see how the sun sets every day over there? I wonder how it spends the night!”

“Well, it certainly doesn't spend it better than its day! Right here, we live joyfully, in harmony with nature, but across that mountain are humans that aren't like us.”

“How are they, then?” Intimidated, he looked in the big inquisitive eyes eagerly staring at him.

“Uh, do you remember what I told you earlier — how time is something we borrowed from nature?”

I nodded my head vigorously.

“That’s not the only thing humans control, sweetie. The humans living from across the mountain don’t respect nature. Instead they force it into their delusions.”

“Are they happy?”

“Happy? No, they think they do, but behind their fancy phones, their cosy homes, their dull friends… They’re a bunch of well-organised psychos!”

I dropped my eyes off him. The ground was sparkling with water droplets. I brought a hand to my chest, asking (more to myself than to him) what made them so different. He immediately grabbed it.

“They’re not different, we are! Can’t you see?!”

He got so angry I did not know what to do. I had never seen him like that. No sooner had he felt that than he caressed the hand he had grabbed. “I’m sorry,” he mumbled.

“It’s getting nippy. Let’s go home.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 546
Reviews: 110

Donate
Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:30 pm
Zolen wrote a review...



This shall be a reaction based review, where I express my thoughts and point out errors as I read. Hopefully this is useful to you. Note I won't spend any time complementing the work, but the fact I am reviewing this means I enjoyed the story. So sorry if I seem harsh.

The ground is cold here, but there is nowhere to go. Most people walk through the rain covered by their nifty umbrellas… I wish I had brought one. I wish someone could help, but they are all too busy with their lives. Someone is coming. I will just pretend I am sleeping. The steps are coming closer, just a little more… It does not stop. I open my eyes, I look at him, then around. He’s coming, he’s coming for me. I try to run, but I slip and fall on the road. He’s calling for me. No, not now…

My alarm clock was two minutes fast —


Ah, the traditional panic dream.

This time lapse allowed me to be two minutes ahead of those who had set their clock by the bell. During that time, I was free to choose between a wide range of free time activities, but I would rather take a break — otherwise I would end up wasting it with trying to make up my mind.


What? I thought I might have missed some context because of reviewing this one chapter out of them all, but nope, the prologue does explain this any better. This opening ramble is just confusing to me.

Eh, what is this gibberish all about? Stories of time lapses and skyscraper flights? When did I eventually stop making sense?… Can we start the novel now? Yes? Let’s do it then!


Oh it was intentional. My mistake. I would suggest you remove the word 'eventually' from this. Not because of my confusion, but because it makes the sentence a bit too wordy. Though you are free to ignore me.


He listened closely and waited up until I was done to calmly give his opinion.


Feels a bit too wordy.

just about half nothing.”


half-nothing

You're conjoining the words to create a new meaning, so I suggest a -.

“Why don’t you put that mindless thinking off your head and go out for a walk with me?”


Feels awkwardly phrased.

embarrassing my cleverness stardom into a simple wordplay.


?

“No, sir. Is it even brighter and shinier than here?”

“No! Why would you say?!”

“Sir, do you see how the sun sets every day over there? I wonder how it spends the night!”


No sense of formal respect is shown before or after this. Odd.




User avatar
383 Reviews


Points: 19607
Reviews: 383

Donate
Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:54 pm
Sujana wrote a review...



Hello, Lorelie (such a pretty name)! Since you had the kind courtesy to review one of my long, mind boggling books (a miracle in and of itself) I thought it would only be proper courtesy to review one of your books.

But firstly, some minor things that may or may not be important:

-"“No! Why would you say?!”" Why would you say what? That, you mean? Perhaps you meant "Why would you say that?"

-"“How are they, then?”" I'm not sure about this sentence, as it is talking about how odd humans are from whatever species these creature are. Perhaps Who are they would be more fitting?

-"No, they think they do" No, they think they are. Since we're talking about being happy here, you'd say "I am happy," and therefore someone else will say "They think they are happy." Therefore, "No, they think they are (happy)." Unless, of course, I misread that and you were talking about an action, in that case I apologize.

Now, onto the review:

1) One of my main gripes about this first chapter is that everything seems a bit muddled. There's two extremes to worldbuilding--the infodump and the "what in gods name is going on". I'll be honest, I'm fond of the latter approach, but even I have to admit that neither approach is particularly effective. I think it would be worth answering the basic questions a reader might ask in the beginning to follow the story, and then leaving them asking for more: if the main character is not human, what are they? Where do the main characters live? How do they know about humans? You don't have to reveal all, but it would be worth answering these questions at the very least. Let's try not to fall on the trap of vagueness.

2) I'm not a big fan of the fourth wall breaking you did, briefly. Fourth wall breaking is usually used in a comedic standpoint (it's not expected, therefore its funny), but from the looks of it you weren't aiming for that. From what I'm reading, this chapter is a little towards the dramatic side of things, so it confuses me when it goes a little comedic.

3) I find some of your word choices interesting. "Nippy", "nifty", "gibberish", they're all very cute if I have to describe it. But it does make your intentions somewhat confusing, as I'm not sure if you want to be serious (as the first paragraph might indicate) or somewhat light-hearted. I wouldn't pull them out of it, but specify them to specific characters so that the readers will know who the characters are through their dialogue or monologue.

4) I liked the illustrations for this! Very creative. Also gives the work a sense of atmosphere, you know?


I'm not entirely sure if that was helpful, but I do hope it was. I'm interested to see how this story develops, and I'll start reading more chapters tomorrow (if life doesn't get in the way). Till then, though,

Signing out,

--EM.




Lorelie says...


EM!

First of all, thank you so much for getting back to me before I did. Second of all, I'll have to see which chapters you reviewed.
Spoiler! :
Just this one. *checks*
The first two corrections are partially true, as I missed two words (true story, I ate them for the sake of my time-saving urge) which are that and like. About the third case, I think I was referring to how they (don't) respect nature, but in fact they aren't (happy). Ok, just for you, I'll give you straight answers to the issues you pointed out...
1) I don't mean to be vague, but I do want that "what in gods name is going on". I find amusing the idea that all your effort to understand the story pays off in the end (even if you have to guess lots), but that is something you will only understand as you immerse yourself within the story (I have to publish more chapters, true).
2) I want you to notice the "satire" I selected for "genre". This is not a dramatic story, nor a comedic one. I think all modern stories have their bits of drama and comedy in-between. So, when I break the fourth wall, I don't want to scare you, I just want to pull off that chair you've put next to that wall of you.
3) Those three words belong all to different characters, true. The first one is Edgar. The second is Lark, and the third is the narrator. Why do they all speak the same way, you ask? Well, the first two have been living together (as a family?) and the last two are assumed to be the same person. Something you'll find later is that they share a common trait, which translates in their vocabulary, and our narrator also tends to be a wee inventive (fun fact!)...
4) That's nice, but what atmosphere?

I'm sorry I took so long, and the things I said, but I've been having this stuck in my chest for quite a while, and I needed to let this out to someone I trust before I say goodbye...



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:47 pm
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello again! :)

I think it's cool that you included illustrations within this! Did you do them yourself?

I'm going to focus on big picture things (if you'd like me to go back and do any smaller scale things, let me know and I can do so!). I haven't read the other reviews, so my apologies in advance if I repeat anything they said!

There are three big things that I want in the start of a novel: an introduction to the main characters, an introduction to the world, and an introduction to the plot. Let's break those down a little more.

1. The main characters - you don't need to introduce me to every single person that will appear in the novel and will be important in the novel (that would be overwhelming and scary :p) and you did a good job of this. You kept it to the narrator and Edgar. Great! But I want to know them, or at least start to get a sense about who they are, and right now I don't feel like I do.

Every single character needs a personality and each personality needs to come out in the writing. I love writing in first person because it's a great way to show off the personality of one of your characters. I have some sense of the narrator's personality here - a little tangential and flighty, but smart (at least that's the vibe I'm getting). I have zero sense about Edgar's personality.

So how do you get personality across and how do you help the reader get to know your characters? There isn't one answer to that (and there are lots of lovely articles here on YWS about characters and building characters and writing characters). You can think about it like real life - how do you get to know people in the real world? By how they act around others and how they act in different situations. The same thing can be applied to your characters. beyond that, you have to show your reader. You have to describe and paint us a picture show us what's going on (there are lots of lovely articles about this, too!)

2. The world - every single story has some sort of world. It might be this time-period and this world and all of the same realities and rules of this world. It might be some far-out fantasy world that only you know about. Or anything in-between. No matter what, you have to introduce it to your reader.

What this doesn't mean is an info-dump (taking up paragraphs and space explaining details of the world). You didn't do this at all, so don't worry. But I don't have a real sense about what the world here is at all. Where are we? When are we? You don't have to (and shouldn't) flesh out all of the details right now, but you should try to give your reader a taste of where we are so we can get oriented from page one.

3. The plot - the opening chapter needs to grab me and pull me in and make me want to keep reading. I need action. That doesn't mean there needs to be a fight or an explosion or something crazy. It means that something needs to happen and that something needs to matter. That something needs to draw the reader in enough that the reader has to read on and see what happens next. It could immediately throw us into the main plot-line (in Stolen by Lucy Christopher, the MC is kidnapped at an airport. In the first chapter, the kidnapping happens). Or it could set up what's about to happen and show us what "normal" is before shit hits the fan (in Harry Potter #1 , the first chapter shows us the Dursleys and what life is like for them before Harry is brought to their doorstep). But no matter what, something has to happen and that something has to be interesting. Mystery is your friend (people will read on to figure it out). Showing is your friend.

In my opinion, not much happens in this first chapter. I'm not sure where the plot is going or why I should care about what the main characters are doing. I think it needs a little more oomph.

First chapters are hard, and I know I threw a lot at you. Please don't be discouraged!! These are things that all writers have to learn! And please let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing! :)




User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 1155
Reviews: 61

Donate
Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:29 am
hermione315 wrote a review...



Hello Lorelie! Hermione here as requested. Sorry it took me so long. I really enjoyed this first chapter of yours, and I’m excited to see where you’ll take this idea. I’ll start my review with grammatical errors I noticed in your writing and transition into thoughts I have about your characters.

He listened closely and waited up until I was done to calmly give his opinion.

The word ‘up’ is unnecessary in this sentence.
“You need to stop worrying. Two minutes is just about half nothing.”

‘Just about half nothing’ is a very confusing phrase that doesn’t make sense. You should delete it so the sentence reads, “Two minutes is nothing.”
We were walking past the front .

Here your spacing is a bit messed up, and you should go back and fix that. This part was really confusing to me. What is the ‘front’? After further reading I was able to infer that it’s part of your characters’ village. If the ‘front’ is the recognized name for that place, it should be capitalized. This is important and you should do this so readers know ahead of time that your character is talking about a certain place and so they don’t mistakenly think that she was just walking in front of something.
“Happy? No, they think they do, but behind their fancy phones, their cosy homes, their dull friends… They’re a bunch of well-organised psychos!”

I found this sentence quite funny and true, though many humans aren’t even organized, they’re just psychos (by the way, that’s how organized should be spelled). Whenever you say, ‘No, they think they do,’ I think you mean to say ‘are’ instead of ‘do’. Also, ‘cosy’ should be spelled ‘cozy’. I liked this line because it introduces how the factor of satire is going to come into play with your story. I’m excited to read about what all issues your character Edgar sees in the “other humans” and what all you address in your story. While I liked this line, I found it a bit contradictory coming from your character Edgar. In this line he is looking at the other humans negatively, but all of the sudden he jumps to saying that their kind are the ones that are different, and it seems like he’s negative and resentful towards his own kind. It seems like he wishes he could be one of “other humans”, whenever he had just stated that he thought they were a bunch of psychos. This is the part I’m talking about:
“They’re not different, we are! Can’t you see?!”

Were you getting at that Edgar thinks being different is good thing? Is that why he gets angry when your MC refers to them as different and not their own kind? That part just confused me a little bit. The relationship of mentor/mentee you have going on with your MC and Edgar is quite interesting. They seem like they have a close relationship and like they could be fascinating characters, even though you don’t reveal much about them in this chapter. I liked you how you portrayed your MC as an eager learner full of curiosity. This is where my prediction of what I think is going to happen next comes into play. I think that your MC is going to get so curious about the humans living across the mountain that she runs away and tries to discover things on her own about their world and how it is different. I think that she will see things that she’ll want to try to fix about society (poverty, war, disrespect towards nature, etc.). I also think that Edgar will try to come after her, but I’m not sure about where the story might go after that. These are just my ideas…they might be way off from what you have in mind, but I can’t wait to read what you come up with! One thing that I really liked about this is how you added pictures to go along with your writing. That’s something original that most people don’t do, and I think that’s something you should consider continuing to do in chapters to come if you aren’t already. Anyways, good job, and keep writing! :)




Lorelie says...


Thank you. I loved your review. Thoughtful and imaginative, just how I wanted it to be (: "We were walking past the front gardens" (I ate that word in the process of proofreading). I'm sorry, but "half nothing" is everything I've got left. I'm glad it has given you all sorts of ideas. I was worried most of it wouldn't make sense. I owe you one :)



User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:17 pm
Ventomology wrote a review...



Hello there! I know it's pretty belated, but welcome to YWS!

Now then... shall I get on with the review? I usually pick out one or two big ideas I think could use improvement and then go back and tell you what you did well, things that caught my interest in plot, character development, etc.

Note 1: Breaking the fourth wall is generally reserved for certain kinds of characters in certain kinds of writing.

While your MC (whose name is yet unrevealed) only broke the fourth wall (the imaginary wall which we readers use to watch your characters) once, I figured it was a big enough point that I should comment on it.

I'm sure you've read novels where a character does break this wall. Mr. Riordan's trilogy about Egyptian mythology does this. You must also note, however, that Mr. Riordan gives an express reason to address the reader; Carter and Sadie are recording themselves talking, and the novel is a transcription of their tapes. Of course they would address the audience.

Often, narrators who are generally unaffiliated with the events of a story, or who take a god-like stance within the narrative, will also use this trick. (And diaries. Diaries do this too.)

Your MC, however, should not need to reiterate where exactly her story begins. You can simply move from the surreal daydreams to the trot downstairs, and every-day action will take care of the transition. We can assume that the novel begins when she woke up.

Moving on to some nice things. (Usually, I'd say more, but I'm not familiar with your writing yet, so I'll wait until I find things that are more consistent.)

1. I notice that you label this as satire, and given the dialogue about us 'outsiders' with our phones and such, I can tell what sort of social commentary will inevitably show up. I am eager to see how you go about this, and what sort of adventure will reveal your message.

2. Edgar is a curious character. I cannot tell if he is the same age as your MC, or much older, and there is certainly some history behind his lines. He will be quite an exciting person to learn about.

3. The surrealism that washes over the tone of your novel is unique, and I like it. It could use a bit of development to help with the flow, but it's definitely a keeper.

Anyways, that's about it from me. I'll keep an eye out for your work in the future!
-Buggie




Lorelie says...


Heya,

Thanks for the wonderful review. I'm PMing you my reply.
-Lorelie




"What is a poet? An unhappy person who hides deep anguish in his heart, but whose lips are so formed that when the sigh and cry pass through them, it sounds like lovely music."
— Søren Kierkegaard, Philosopher & Theologian