12+

3 In proper english love means heart sickness

by Lorelie

Previously on Share and Cherish:

You need to stop worrying. Two minutes is nearly half nothing Do you know how the world is beyond that mountain? … Edgar had given me everything — education, family, leisure … I asked them … They were dumbstruck … Edgar was the only one who knew… One day he brought me to the basement. There was a telly … I will kill youunless you switch to Zotran mobile … During that month of May, Edgar kept bringing me to the basement … He wanted me to see how humans were beyond the mountains … who was the meaner — the assassin or the people who created his story? This pill will keep you from sneezing hard … I already know what I want for my birthday … What?! You don’t even have a phone.

The first time I spoke of crossing the mountain was on the last Friday of June. I was eating some of my favourite berries Edgar picked for me.

“What are you talking about?”

“The world beyond that mountain. I want to learn…”

“You can learn here the fields’ social studies, the fruit science, the farming education… But if you want to know more, you’ve got school.

At school I learned letters, numbers, the study of… but that didn’t mean anything new (at least for me). Knowing from Becket to Byron backwards wouldn’t make me more interesting (or less reckless). X and Y didn’t appear on the book of nature. Nor were there formulae to calculate the watering times of vegetables, or how deep a hole should be to sow in it. The only thing I had learned was to envy my playmates.

“Not school. I want to see it. Well, close enough…”

Indeed, at school they talked about the city, but then all I could think of were the fields. The fields and Roger, course! I just stood there staring at him during school break — my favourite subject. Him with his friends, him having lunch, him at the stationer’s… Until one day I noticed him sitting alone. He reminded me one hero cut out of one of those films — sleeveless shirt, arrowed hair, ever willing to save his country — business suitcase or machine gun, both would inevitably slip into his hands. But I’m speaking of things still not at hand for him — well, my desperate soul was, and so in peril!

“Hey!”

It was undoubtedly an interesting one. We talked about me tired of school, his contending with food at the canteen, our excruciating lives, how interesting they can become…

“I gotta go…”

The talk had grown on me, I had even felt… a connection? He asked my number, but then we came to the conclusion that landlines aren’t the same anymore. And so we arranged to meet at the bus stop.

“See ya.”

The bus stop — in my humble opinion, is a fabulous setting. It is a waypoint. People come and go, but between a place and another, both patiently wait. The look on their faces — that is alluring! It is the look of one who knows not what is next (only before) and still eagerly awaits. It is the look of one who still has not arrived (only departed) and is already missing. It is the look that is guiding and the course that is waiting. People come and go, but the process is fulfilling. It is a journey to a better world, perhaps the one I can find only in my dream. Do they travel to the city, do they return home, or both?

People come and go, but they never stay — I stood. I had even gone earlier. Who knows, maybe he’d arrive first and not wait. I had gone earlier and took one of those little books. You can take one of those and pretend you’re reading. So I had gone earlier, even tried to read a bit, gave up. I stood up, I sat down. Voices could be heard. It was just some classmates leaving school (just for the day). Buses were coming, my classmates were passing by. One by one I am back alone. I could have had a conversation with that one, but — oh everyone’s gone now. I wait and wait. That’s my bus, I need to go. I look behind, but no sign of him.

The next day I look for him, but where is he? I wait another day, nothing. Third day, same. Fourth, fifth, a whole week goes by, till I get to see him again. I try to come closer, but he walks away.

Used, betrayed, stranded, I feel the world falling on my shoulders. School, books, buses. I’d had something for all eternity. One day — just one day — and it is lost!

“Help me pick your things.”

He picks up a doll. I’m too old for dolls.

He picks up a book. I don’t believe those stories anymore.

He picks up a scribble pad. I’ve got nothing to tell…

“But you will. Here, take it.”

Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:21 pm
Pretzelstick wrote a review...

Heya Lorelie, I am so sorry that I haven't reviewed this, since you have specifically requested this from my thread. Let's jump right in though, shall we??

To start off a positive note in this review, I love the little pictures that you embedded into this story. I, as a reader really appreciate the time that you placed in these drawings to make it work; I also think that it adds a cool little feature.

First of all, it is key to establish a clear setting. Where is the mountain, and why in the world is it significant enough to atempt to want to cross over it? Now, I know that I am coming into this on the third chapter of this series, but if you would like to be a good writer you have to establish the setting more than just saying: "Here is the mountain." if you see what I mean...
I would like to introduce and link you to a very short article that is about how to describe scenery. The key here is visualization and seeing how it looks like in your head an on a page/screen before starting to write. You'll see more on that in the article though.

At school I learned letters, numbers,

Honestly, judging by your very simplistic view on what you should be learning in school, I think that this student/ MC is in the elementary school grades. I didn't get the impression that they are older, although if they want to cross a mountain alone, then it must seem that they are older... Anyways, it's not a good thing to have a contradictory view on the MC from two perspectives. The reader should be able to inference directly from the text.

It is the look of one who knows not what is next (only before) and still eagerly awaits. It is the look of one who still has not arrived (only departed) and is already missing.

I could not understand anything that you were actually trying to convey here. I go to my bus stop everyday, and so my experience is pretty monotonous there. Generally in writing, you want to make your reader relate in some way, anyway, but here it was not the case.

I wait another day, nothing. Third day, same. Fourth, fifth, a whole week goes by, till I get to see him again.

This sense of repetition that you were using here, generally isn't acceptable. You don't really write third,fourth, etc. because the reader gets what you are talking about. A whole week goes by would have been enough, because everyone obviously knows that there are 5 days in a school week and 7 days in a full week. I don't observe a need to elaborate on that, do you see what I mean??

Used, betrayed, stranded, I feel the world falling on my shoulders.

I feel zero emotion here. Did you ever wonder why just amazing Bestseller books are so damn good? Because they make you laugh and cry, weep and mourn, smile and grin. Because the books and characters that are playing in them can evoke authentic emotions inside a readers soul and mind. Here I feel no emotion toward the MC, because I feel absolutely no connection to her in anyway.
There is another aritcle that I highly reccomend with a lot of readers that are struggling with this very same problem like you(and believe me, I even sometimes struggle with it too) and so I personally always refer and go make to This informative article and it always refreshes me and helps me choose better words.

Also, all of that dialogue at the end felt like small-talk, meaningless and everyday mundane. I think that we hear this so much in the world around us, that there is no way that I actually wanted to see this in a work, because it doesn't really add anything to the plot. Here is a quick tip from an article that I once read: "As a writer, if you want to improve in how your dialogue is written, there is one very simple thing that you can do. Listen to the way that people speak."

I'm going to leave you there with that.

~Pretzel

Lorelie says...

Pretzels, it's alright. I really thank your review and your links, but there's some questions I'd like to pose to you.

1) Is it possible to relate to a character that thinks differently from us?

2) Do you read the book to relate to the character, or do you relate to the character to read the book?

3) Do people really talk in everyday life like in books? Is the purpose of talking informally the same as the one you write dialogue?

(You can put these questions in the negative form too)

Do share your thoughts :)

Pretzelstick says...

Sure. your welcome, it was no problem. So here are my thoughts.

1). Yes, you absolutely can relate to a character that thinks differently than you, if you have experienced the same situation or know of on. The thing is, in this situation, I personally couldn't relate to the bus stop being a "fabulous place" because my bus stop is at the end of my street and I always stand there alone on cold winter mornings.

2. In a series, if I find a character that I am wild about, I will read the rest of the series in a book, just to see what happens and spend time with them in my reading world. There are many variables, you know??

3. Actually, yes. You can have real life conversation in books, and that's kinda what I experience all of the times. As a writer, I talk out loud to my character all of the time, and have conversations with them, I dream about my character like I really know it, and in a lot of real life situations that happen to me daily I imagine what my character would say/do. Just a perk of being a writer, y'know?

I hope that this answers your questions about my review. You are one of the first people that has asked me a question after my review, because mostly other people just say thanks.

Ty.

Lorelie says...

I asked you, since everyone is questioning what I wrote.
I asked you, because I respect you within all the critiquing I had,
and I seriously hope that, though we disagree on some facts,
you or anyone else have a different opinion about my work.

I want to thank you for your attention,
and I promise this will influence my next work.
These have been hard times, but I will keep working on it.

I really believe in this novel, it's just a shame
there will be no one there making these same questions
by the time I publish the last chapter of it.

I know how big is the effort you're making,
and so I promise
I will keep it as hard as it is now.

You won't be deceived (:

Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:16 am

Okay, question:

Who is Roger? Is she meeting him for the first time here at school? Because after reading further, it sounded like that was the case, but when he was first introduced it sounded like he was someone the narrator had know for quite some time.

On that note, this:

It was undoubtedly an interesting one.

First of all, I'm confused about "one." One what? Conversation? I assume that's what you meant, but all we see of it is "hey" and "I gotta go" and then a short bit of summary. But if it's such an interesting conversation and they're just getting to know each other, show us some of it!

I'm not saying you have to write out the whole thing. I don't know if you know what the entire conversation is, and you might not feel like writing all of it anyway. But at least give us some highlights! What were the most important parts? Which parts meant the most to the narrator? Which parts can best characterize Roger? This is a great opportunity to characterize both of these people, but by skipping it you're not letting us get to know them!

BlueAfrica

Lorelie says...

Why should I justify this?

It was undoubtedly an interesting one. We talked about me tired of school, his contending with food at the canteen, our excruciating lives, how interesting they can become%u2026

I'd say you should put yourself in her shoes and try to remember the exact words yourself! Please note the irony in the adverb that precedes *interesting*. And these aren't summaries, there is someone on the other side.

Why would you come here to tell me more of the same?

(I'm sorry for language. I know it's not your fault.)

Pretzelstick says...

I have to agree with Blue's review completely!

BluesClues says...

Thanks, Pretzel.

Lorelie says...

Okay, I'll try to be nice.

1) Have you ever had that person you see everyday, that you know in your heart even though you never spoke to him? That is Roger.

2) Why should I construct out a dialogue of words out of context. I mean, there is dialogue, in a indirect way. But truth is that in real life you rarely remember what you said or heard, but what your thoughts then. She thought it was interesting, simply because it was the first words she exchanged with that person, and all she was thinking was "Wow, this person is talking to me". This annoys me so much...

3) This annoys me too. You come here and almost repeat what you said in the other reviews. This isn't judging for me, it seems you're just throwing this out of the window because it's different. But in fact I know this story, I know this character, I know what she feels. Yet, I can only write what she wants to say, and if you payed some attention, you'd know why. This is frustating for me as the one who publishes it, but also as the one who reviews. I myself feel I don't want to do this, but what if I do the type of review. Will I be able to live with it?

Yours sincerely
- Lore

erilea wrote a review...

Hey, Lorelie! Artemis here for a review from Team Tardis! :D

First off. I don't know what the red text is all about. It's just a string of random phrases I don't understand. Either you delete it, or you keep it and make it a little less confusing. I'm not trying to be mean, but I can't make sense of it.

So... the wording at the beginning of this sentence is kind of weird. I suggest you change it to: "You can learn here, the field's social studies, the fruit science, the farming education..." and so on. You should also put a period after "school".

"You can learn here the fields’ social studies, the fruit science, the farming education… But if you want to know more, you’ve got school"

This piece was kind of confusing to me. What did it mean? It kind of went by in a blur. I think you should make the main idea a little bit more clear, if you know what I mean. Not so obvious that people can look at the beginning and say what it is, but just a little less foggy. I liked the pictures that you put in. Did you draw them yourself? They're really good, I have to say. Good job on this work and keep writing!

-Artemis28 :D

Lorelie says...

Yay, go Team Tardis!

Um the text in red is like a summary from previous chapters (read first review) and there is a period after *school* (but I missed the quotation mark, oops). I think you should try to read it again and think of some school subjects (I won't elaborate on that).

On a side note, it's good to have younger teens reviewing this.

Thanks for the review, fellow Tardis!
-Lore

erilea says...

You're welcome!

sinistercutlass wrote a review...

I liked this. I think you (or your character) have a really original point of view, and an honest, genuine way of expressing it on paper. It really felt like a relate-able character, and the adorable notebook sketches only enhanced this perception. Great choice, using those sketches. Did you make them yourself?

Lorelie says...

YES! Thank you. Great avvie, by the way ;)

Dracula wrote a review...

Your. Illustrations. Are. So. Cool! I hardly ever see illustrations on YWS, and these one really help to tell the story. I love the zooming out technique you used as well. I'm just interested to see how significant this doodle is to the story. And it is pretty cool how you had 'previously' like on television shows.

Indeed, at school they talked about the city, but then all I could think of were the fields.
You show you character's feelings brilliantly. I can tell that she really wants to just ditch school and learn how to live with nature. She's sick of hearing about the city and irrelevant information like X and Y. I can definitely relate to her in those ways.

The paragraph about bus-stops was well written, like a poetry lesson hidden away in the story. :P The picture above it was a nice transition from a scene to the character's thoughts. My one suggestion is that you expand on the final part- when he finally makes contact with her. She had been waiting so long, and I feel that the moment could be expanded with a little more description. Apart from that, it's great, especially the pictures!

Lorelie says...

Oh, I'm so happy. This is my favourite review now. And you were the first Review Day reviewer. Thank you so much for choosing me!

The last part is usually shorter, but I agree with you. I kinda felt something was missing...

Dracula says...

Hehe you're welcome@

Be the annoying goose you want to see in the world.
— Welcome to Night Vale