z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Non-Fiction or Fiction?

by Lib


Author's Note: This is just a fun story I thought I'd post. Half of this is real, and it actually happened to me. And half of this is fake. Enjoy!

 

I'm sitting on my parents' bed reading a fictional book called: Tuesday in the Castle. Papa is on his chair studying on his wooden study table making a PowerPoint presentation for work. Papa turns his chair so he faces me. I didn't notice until he said:

"Dear, what are you reading?" 

"Tuesday in the Castle by Jessica Day George." I reply. Saying the authors name with the title of the book is a habit of mine. 

"What's it about?" he asks, even though he knows what's coming.

"It's about five people who live in a magical castle that adds new rooms every Tuesday," I say as he nods along. "But then, an evil wizard-" he stops me at "wizard".

"You know, when I was your age I-" he starts.

"-would read many non-fictional books." I finish for him. This sentence has been repeated by him every single time I read a fictional book.

"Have you ever tried to read any educational or non-fictional books?" he questions me.

"PAPA!! Mama made juice!!" my little sister bursts into the room and hands both of us a cup of red juice.

"What's in it?" I ask.

"Apple, carrots and some weird looking red fruits." my sister replies smoothly. I cringe at the sound of carrots and 'some weird looking red fruits', every thing else was fine, though.

Papa is already done with his juice. Woah! That was SUPER fast! Once my sister leaves the room, Papa asks me to remind him what we were talking about.

"You asked me if I ever tried to read educational or non-fictional books." I say.

"Have you?"

"No."

"Why?" 

"Because the last time I read them, I fell asleep on the first page."

"So that's good!" Papa exclaims.

I look at him, stunned. "How is that GOOD?"

"Since you don't sleep much, you could read a non-fictional book right there and then! That way, you'll have a longer sleep!" he says, proud of his prediction.

"You have a point." I mumble.

(I guess non-fiction wins!)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
232 Reviews


Points: 1578
Reviews: 232

Donate
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:19 am
View Likes
LadyBug wrote a review...



Hello Libby! Jade here to leave you a quick review. I loved this short little book, it had a good, unique hook to it. I love fiction, and I believe it is 100 times better. I loved this short story, it's simple, sweet, and has a nice little concept. There were a few grammatical errors, but everyone has pointed them out. I loved it!




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 309
Reviews: 17

Donate
Mon May 18, 2020 3:52 pm
View Likes
madisonperkins59 wrote a review...



This was a very interesting piece to read! If you ask me I would say non-fiction only because I like reading about things that is real but I do read some fiction books. "Saying the author's name with the title of the book is a habit of mine." I thought this line didn't really need to be added you could just say the name of the book and the author and just move on to the next line.

There were also a few commas that didn't need to be added that were there. And make sure that you keep the tense of the story the same throughout the story. Nice work and I am looking forward to reviewing more of your work.




Lib says...


Ahh this is a pretty old work so this made me giggle. But thanks for the review! :)





oh wow! I just looked at the date of it! Before I do reviews I don't look at the dates.



Lib says...


That's completely okay! Don't worry about it. =)



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 311
Reviews: 43

Donate
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:27 pm
View Likes
Miraculor77 wrote a review...



Hi!
This is a good story, very relatable. I read a variety of genres, but most of them fall under the category of fiction, so I totally agree. :)
Now for the review part:
I only have two nitpicks, but otherwise, the story is good.

"Apple, carrots and some weird looking red fruits." my sister replies smoothly. I cringe at the sound of carrots and 'some weird looking red fruits', every thing else was fine, though.

The first bolded words should be one word: "everything," not "every thing." The other bolded word, "was," doesn't agree with the tense. You wrote the story in present tense, and "was" is past tense. I suggest changing it to "is."

Overall though, the story is really good. I still haven't figured out how to properly write short stories, mainly because I suck at planning it out, don't know when to stop, and have read too many chapter books (that are fiction :)). So congrats on that!

Anyways, just know that you don't have to take my suggestions and that I am really sorry if I offended you in any way.

- Mira




Lib says...


Thanks for the review, Mira! It all helped. (:



User avatar
51 Reviews


Points: 161
Reviews: 51

Donate
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:34 pm
View Likes
Ishan212 says...



liberty500
Hi I am Ishan212 and I am here to review your work.
Well cool story ... fiction non fiction.
You ask me fiction wins, if inspired by reality.
Great Work!!!
Keep Writing!!!
Ishan212




Lib says...


Thanks!



Random avatar

Points: 739
Reviews: 14

Donate
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:49 pm
View Likes
Etteim wrote a review...



Hi, Liberty500.

I really like the topic that you wrote about; I've always wondered how a discussion between which is better would go. I enjoyed the simplicity of this story, but I kind of just wanted a little more, because I didn't feel the title was addressed that much.

-

Me and my dad are both work addicts.


I kind of found this sentence a bit pointless. It doesn't really add to anything that's related to the story, but I guess it does give information on you and your dad, so this is probably just a preference of mine.

"No,"


A period should replaced the comma, since there is nothing following what's spoken.

"Because the last time I read them, I fell asleep on the first page."


Personally, I find fiction way more interesting than non-fiction, so I instantly resonated with this statement haha.

-

Really all of my criticism are just nitpicks, so you can take them or leave them. Good work!

-Etteim




Lib says...


Thank you for that wonderful review! Most people said the same thing about this sentence: "Me and my dad are both work addicts." So I guess I'll just cut it. :D
Thanks again.


Random avatar
Etteim says...


Ah, okay. And you're welcome!



User avatar
276 Reviews


Points: 16802
Reviews: 276

Donate
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:57 pm
View Likes
rosette wrote a review...



Hey there, Liberty! :D

I hope you're doing well today, and I hope those Fairy Dairy entries are moving along smoothly. ;) I saw you had this story sitting in the Green Room, so I thought I'd drop in and review. Let's get to it, then, shall we?

Specifics

My dad, who I call Papa, is on his chair studying on his wooden study table making a PowerPoint presentation for work.

I find it awkward that she has to explain what she calls her father. It might read more smoothly if you simply had "Papa is in his chair studying..."

Me and my dad are both work addicts.

This statement puzzled me. The narrator sounds childish, in a way - a pre-teen, perhaps - so sticking this label of "work addict" on didn't sound quite right. Is she even old enough to legally have a job? Or does this type of work mean as in school and chores around the house?

Papa is already done with his juice. Woah! That was SUPER fast!

Those last two exclamations threw me off a bit. For one, because it's the only instance in which we read about the narrator's thoughts. I like the fact we read her thoughts, but I think if you're going to have it in this instance, you should include it in others. On another note, the super is a bit intimidating... might be better to italicize it. :P

"Because the last time I read them, I fell asleep on the first page."

Me three years ago lolll


Not-So-Specific
The general idea behind this amuses me because it's something I've actually been thinking about recently. Not many young people read non-fiction, which I don't think is necessarily wrong, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with reading it! I've been reading a few non-fictional/educational books lately that I thoroughly enjoyed!
I'll admit I did find this story kind of amusing, though. My own father would definitely side with the argument of your father in here, seeing as he's always telling us we need to read more non-fiction. :p

You mentioned this is just a fun little story you wanted to post, which makes me unsure of how thorough of a review you wanted... but I'll say I did think you could make this more of a story, anyhow. This was a cute dialogue to follow but there wasn't that meat of a story in it. For example, why is she (or is this even a she? I don't see a gender mentioned...) reading on her parent's bed in the first place? Seems like an odd place to enjoy a novel. Why did the sister interrupt with the juice? That didn't seem significant, but it could be! Why did the mother even make juice? What time of day is it, anyway?
Maybe it would do well to mention how the narrator doesn't sleep often or has insomnia or something along those lines. That would make the ending more impactful and provide more of a storyline to follow.

Aaaand that's all I got for now! Have a good one, Liberty, and keep up the writing! :D
cheers!

~rosette <3




User avatar
162 Reviews


Points: 1865
Reviews: 162

Donate
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:23 pm
View Likes
FireSpyGirl wrote a review...



Hi there!
This is definitely a good story! I sorry, but this won't be much of a review. The two things I'm going to point out are just nitpicks, really. Feel free to ignore them! Okay, the first one is when you are talking about your dad at the desk. You say he is working on his desk. There is nothing wrong with that, it's just that in some cases, it could make the reader think he is literally "on" his desk. Like on top of it. :).

Second:
"Papa is already done his juice." All you need to do with this sentence is put in the word "with" between "done" and "his."

Also, I love Jessica day George! Have you read Princess of the midnight ball? I've read that one and Princess of the silver wood. They are really, really good! The first is my favorite though. :)




Lib says...


Thank you! I'm obsessed with Jessica's books!!!



FireSpyGirl says...


I am dying to read more of them!! but our library is so small....:(



Lib says...


Your local or school library? If the school library then get one from the local library.



FireSpyGirl says...


My town has one library that serves as a school library and local library.



Lib says...


Ooooh. I understand!



User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 8

Donate
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:04 pm
View Likes
MaybeInk says...



Haha, I really liked this, it seems like something my dad would say to me. Keep up the good work! :D




Lib says...


Thank you!




When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
— Abraham Heschel