A Postcard for Pearson

by Lavvie

A/N: This piece is inspired by Vincent Scarpa's "I Go Back to Berryman's" , which you can read here. This piece is intentionally meant to be one sentence, and belongs to my developing anthology Saturn. 

Chances are you got here not by car, but by the grace of goodness, diligence, and determination, and you got up the hill thanks to this one tall guy with a red beard and this one short girl who looks like a wood nymph, which makes sense really since Pearson is tucked away on the bay, between a detention centre and a DND base, this inconspicuous little place with a whole lot of mystery, so it makes sense that this guy and this girl look like an elf and a wood nymph, and when you walk up they stop at a sloping building, wrinkled and waterlogged by the West coast weather, and say Here you are, Japan House and you think that it’s hard to tell the trees from the buildings, but it’s home already because three people are carrying your two bags up one flight of stairs and your room is lofty and light, and you think I will never leave here because you are surrounded by the world in teacups, which brew discussion and love which you discover is the most painful feeling in the world and gets at the heart, aching and yawning like a sailboat stuck in the Juan de Fuca Strait, and you barely have time to ponder this even if you were to circle around campus, from Japan to Victoria to East to McLaughlin, not forgetting the Max Bell (which is much too far, let’s be honest) and you don’t even have time to contemplate Ondaatje, that odd little building that should house English literature and not visual art and has the windowless room that only locks from the inside and you two have to breathe softly, a whispering type of intimacy that is always awkward but never secret – but you don’t have time for this because you can’t help but run into one, two, countless people who hug you, lift you up, and put behind them your differences and their judgments because we are so far from home and only have each other, and you think this is why there are so many tears that pool at the bottom of the bay, rising up and meeting us in the spiritual centre where Christians gain strength from Muslims who gain strength from Buddhists who gain strength from Jews who gain strength from agnostics and atheists, and you realize that the spiritual centre is sacred not for faith but for strength to understand why you feel unloved in a place full of love or why people create meaning out of meaningless things, and then you begin to understand it for what it really is: that you are loved in a place full of love and mistakenly interpreting imitations of love for love, but you don’t know it yet – you won’t know it until years later, when you reread your love letters from people you didn’t know you loved or had loved you and the tears stream down your face, but not into the bay because the bay is too far or too full from years since, and all you wish you could do is go back to hug the people you didn’t love enough or loved too much, but they’re all gone now, in every different direction like the post of arrows in the centre of campus that point to seventeen different places, and you would only be able to get to them if you could stretch your arms around the planet like a rubber band that never breaks or never ricochets back with a stinging snap, so instead you pin up their postcards like hearts on sleeves and wait until twenty-twenty-four, when at last you’ll be back home and it’ll be like you never left. 

SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hi, Lavvie!

I certainly don't feel qualified enough to review this, but I'll do my best to give my thoughts anyway.

I loved this. Even though it was just one enormously long sentence, I think you do a wonderful job of stringing the flow along and giving it enough breaks and pauses that is isn't overwhelming and it feels natural to just keep going. If anything, I love the creative decision to make it a single sentence, since it mimics a really genuine, intimate process of thought that opens the mind of the narrator up to the reader in a deep, impactful way.

Speaking of which, I absolutely loved how poignant this piece was. The word choice was beautiful and obviously intentional in a lot of places, and I really loved lines such as he one about spirituality and as well as this line:

... you are loved in a place full of love and mistakenly interpreting imitations of love for love, ...

That and the thoughts that follow were the parts of the piece that spoke deepest to me because, as Lava said, it really develops a sense of longing and also of growth. I just really loved the emotions that this piece evoked in me.

I do admit though that I don't feel like I have a concrete sense for what this piece could mean or what exactly it is talking about. I get these strong emotions and these vague senses/ideas but I don't feel like I could summarize to someone else what this piece was meant to be about or what the overall take away from it should be? I don't know if that's a problem or something that needs to be fixed, but it did make it kind of difficult to read, but encouraged me to re-read it more to try to understand it better.

Overall, I think you're a beautiful writer and I'm glad you're coming back to the site ^^

Best wishes ~
-Wolfe

Lava wrote a review...

Hi Lav! :)

I just stopped by YWS, and saw this. I know you really value your times during your Pearson years, and that significance is easily felt across what your wrote. I am getting a sense of nostalgia, reverence and hope coming across from what you wrote, as well as the imagery you're giving me, the reader, gives it a sort of whimsical charm and people with warmth and love.

"world in teacups, which brew discussion and love which you discover is the most painful feeling in the world and gets at the heart, aching and yawning like a sailboat stuck in the Juan de Fuca Strait, " This bit is probably my favourite, because of how you use the scenes to describe the multi-cultural atmosphere, that has shaped ideas.

"(which is much too far, let’s be honest) " This bit feels like a necessary addition, an inside joke, but while the rest of the writing doesn't seem to offer much support to this bit in terms of "feel" of the text?

"for this because you can’t help but run into one, two, countless people who hug you, lift you up, "
This stuck me as you could avoid the one,two counting, because we just recently read through the three people/two bags/ one flight of stairs? I think just countless works just as effective in voice and getting the message across.

In the last bit, I understand how you want to show us about the love surrounding you, and defining things, but personally, I feel like there is too much usage of the word "love" in forms, which sort of threw me off when I was reading it. I thinki you can work on that section to convey to us,the love, and the love for the love you had in a way in which the text didn't look very same.

"or never ricochets back with a stinging snap, so instead you pin up their postcards like hearts on sleeves "
Also like the imagery, especially of the ricochetting.

Thanks for posting this! I truly enjoyed it, and hope you're enjoying more college time. <3 <3

Lavvie says...

Hi Lavtwin! Thanks so much for your feedback. It's all very useful since you actually brought up some of the points in the piece I wasn't so sure about anyway. I'm thinking about building off of this for my final big work this semester, so it's nice to have some direction on the weaker links.

The "world in teacups" part is also one of my favourites <3

I hope you get a chance to read Vincent Scarpa's piece - it's fantastic and leaves you totally breathless.

Lava says...

I plan to read it! I didn't want that biasing my thoughts on this, but I've bookmarked. :)

Are you planning on still keeping it as a one sentence narration? Feel free to throw more chunks at me, if you want!

Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe.
— John Milton (Poet)