12+

Chapter Eight: Lace 1.2

by LadyMysterio

Verena stared at the balcony doors that James had disappeared though, then tapped her wine glass absentmindedly, looking for a refill.

A servant passed and she swapped the glasses. James didn't know what he was talking about. He wasn't the one who couldn't fail a mission, they had to succeed. Not succeeding wasn't an option.

She caught a flash of colour out of the corner of her eye, her head turned voluntarily, the Princess and Ladies were waving her over.

She inhaled and smiled brightly, striding over as if it made her day, as if this was the exact thing she’d been waiting for.

Verena was welcomed merrily into the group, all of whom either were sipping a drink out of a delicate glass, or politely nibbling on a small snack.

The Princess moved to stand by her,”how is your evening so far.”

“Oh” Verena pulled herself out of the autopilot she'd sunken into,”it's very nice, I've never been to an opera before, or a ball for that fact.”

“A ball? Did you not have a debutante ball once you reached a suitable age? Or maybe it's a smaller number of ladies. I often wondered if my mother went over the top.”

Verena cringed inwardly, she needed to study this time better,” oh I simply meant never a ball this grand. You certainly know how to impress. The decorations are wonderful.``

Princess Aliah smiled,”thank you, this ball is an annual occurrence, and I make it my goal to make each ball better than the last. You could also call it my hobby.”

She couldn't imagine the amount of organization that went into this,”calling it a hobby, almost sounds like an understatement.”

The princess shrugged,as if it was truly simply a hobby. The tone of the music changed, and she tilted her head,”ah it's time for me to find my husband, we have to open the dance floor. Would you mind taking my wine?” It was more of a statement rather than a question. She handed Verena her wine and strode off through the crow, skirt flowing behind her.

Verena watched her, making a beeline for her husband, they reunited, seemingly a picture of a happy couple. She’d seen far too many facades to wonder how much of those smiling faces and lovey dovey attention was true. But it pleased the public eye, they were the royals, their job was to play for the public, as an innocent higher power chosen for the good of the people. Of pure bloodline. Uphold a picture of peace and wellness, to keep the hearts of the people at ease.

Lies, always and forever lies, no one was truly ever good, the world ran rampant in sin, want overpowering need and love warping into something far more selfish than it was ever made to be.

The Royal couple clasped hands, the crowd parted and the orchestra played a soundtrack to the mood. Following them as they glided to the middle of the floor, then faced each other, and elegantly embracing in a waltz stance.

The music lulled and then sparked lighting up the room in a shiver of anticipation. Verenas eyes followed as they swayed, eyes locked, in a practiced perfect dance, spinning and stepping. As if no one else was in teh room, it was only them. It was almost magical, in a sort of trance like way.

The dance was finished before Verena realized, a cheer circled the room, and the royals disappeared into the crowd, as the empty spot they had danced in was filled with couples, swirling in a mix of colors as they performed the same symmetrical dance. Never leaveingtime with teh music, never bumping ito anyone else.

Verena stood still, holding her glass lighting as the room moved around her, all drawn towards the center of the floor. Eager for their chance.

These people, this room, this energy. This was a life, a community, whether it be formulated around lies, social standing and power tactics. It was a clock, working with all its gears and chains, each interconnection, one piece out and it all fell apart.

It was her job to find that piece and destroy it. Whatever it be and by whatever means, to make this society crumble off the face of the planet and out of history.

Verena lifted her glass high, downed it, and set it down on the nearest available spot, a planter pot. Then wove through the cheery crowd to find the princess and the ladies in waiting. She was under three . Three weeks to blend in so well and maintain an alibi so clean, no one would ever suspect her. Even if once the deed was done, she would disappear out of this time for eternity. A lone survivor.

The rest of the night blurred together, she spent the reminder by the Princess. flocking around with the other ladies, chatting with the Princess, establishing conversations with fellow foreign ladies, and taking mental notes. Until finally, in the early hours of the next day, when the final few guests had trickled out, drunkenly laughing and trying to not fall on the stairs, Verena flopped into bed.

She hadn't seen James since he left, but she trusted him enough to know he wouldn't leave. Not that he had anywhere to go, he had to stay here to return to home. He’d come to this senses and help her.

The next morning she pulled out the file she’d tuked away in some lone drawer, locked the doors, and set it down on the table. She set some stationary she’d been provided with, under the guse of wishing to write those at her supposed homeland, and started studying the file.

It was outlined that the target was indeed the child of the royal couple, who would then grow up to age, and be crowned, however they wer to stop that from happening far before that happened To vanquish all hopes of another heir and throw them into such grief they barely kept their duties, and so the country would fall. Quicker and far more quietly. Allowing the surrounding countries to invade and conquer without much, if any resistance.

That means that Benedict was the sole heir to the throne and only child of the Prince and Princess of Belacruv.

The next week passed with out much occurrence. Verena got the hang of her lady in waiting duties, and managed to keep a healthy conversation with anyone who asked of her past. She got along well with the ladies, and the princess. She even had a few conversations with the Prince. Verena avoided the crown Prince as much as she could without suspicion. Number one rule of assisiantion. Don't get to know your targets, it bred empathy and sympathy.

Verena learned the Princess loved routine, which was both a weakness and a strength. It was easy to learn her habits. However, keeping a routine meant commitment. Commitment meant that when the Princess set her mind on something, she meant to accomplish it, no matter the stakes.

Her routine was simple: Wake, breakfast, dress, wish her son good morning, a walk in the garden, luncheon, then, either a council meeting or an outing, after which was high tea.

Following high tea was a trip to the library to research topics from the council meeting, or it was managing paperwork. While she was the Princess, she loved managing the finances. Verena presumed this was why she loved planning the best ball every year. After the paperwork, she’d dine with the prince and crown prince, then spend an evening by the faire in the parlor with more tea, and finally retire for a bath and bed for the night. Only to repeat the next day.

Verena ran into James every now and then, they held late night meetings to discuss various plans or information. He still seemed reluctant to carry out the mission, but he still inquired as to her progress and volunteered any intel he had gathered. She often found him in her room,s claimingher was bored, and her room had many things to look at. She gave him small tasks, to keep up his appearance as her butler. Sending him out for a thing here or a trinket there, letting im explore the ton and markets. He’d find all sorts of interesting victorian books or small toys. He had started packing a suitcase of things to bring home for further research and examination.

She assured him that Doctor Theodore would be thrilled, to which he stared collecting items he thought the doctor would like. Once or twice she caught him smuggling things to the small Prince, who’d seemingly taken a liking to James. Verena figured she’d have to talk about him severing any emotional attachments.

Verena watched James fiddle with a small clockwork device. It appeared to be some sort of music box, with a expsoed mechanism. He flipped it this way and that, mumbeling.

"You certainly seem fascinated," She ran her finger over the gilded edge of a porcelain cup, long forgotten by some deceased family member.

The music box tinkled as James set it down, finished his examination,"Music boxes are fascinatingly simple yet they produce such an coplet little melody."

"mhm," Verena rubbed the dust from the cup in between her thumb and forefinger, thinking as her eye wandered. They finally fell on a small oil painting, in a dark corner beside the tall wooden cabinet filled with antique porcelain dinnerware sets.

It featured three poeple, a young woman, a young man, and a small child. They were standing, the portrait cutting them off at the waist. It wasn't a typical position by families for a portrait. The woman held the child by her bosom, arms wrapped around him in an effort to contain the child's gleeful antis.The man stood behind them both, hugging the woman from behind, his arms also embracing the child. Both their faces were turned towards the small boy, expressions lit up in the happiness that only a mother and father share for their child.

Verena stared at it, the woman seemed vaguely familiar, like de ja vu, you had a sense you'd seen her before, but couldn't place where or when, or even who she was. James stepped over, his shoes hiding under her large skirts, as he tried to get a better look at the painting.

She watched his in her preifieal vision, his forehead creased as he studied it. He turned and leaned on the waist high cabinet they both stood in front of. She watched him study her eyes, his switching bath and fourth, unsure what one to focus on. She pinned her gaze on his forehead,"what James."

He sighed,"I dont even know how to start this. We can't" he paused again, clearly stuck. Then he sighed heavily again, giving up," We can't murder a child Verena."

She rasied her eyebrows, "this is not the time. Chadwick,"she stressed his false name.

"I don't feel comfortable with this. Its not, It's not right. This is, different from our other missions."

She leaned towards him, whispering rapidly,"It is no different, We have a mission to complete, we must complete it. Not for ourselves, but for the sake of the world."

James choked a laugh down," Yeah for the world eh. The last time someone thought that child murder would save the world, it didn't. I think we do have a choice. Everyone had a choice. I can't do this without more information. A mere child cannot be a threat to us.``

Verena leaned back," and it will not.I've never questioned the organization's tactics and reasons and I won't start now. I've built my entire life in this. I'm not quitting."

She casually scanned the store, it was crowded with various objects, easy for them to be eaves dropped on,"Dont mention this or our names in public. Again."

James started to open his mouth, but closed it half way though, folding his arms, and giving the painting a final glance, before turning and leaving the store. Verena not far from him.

A week passed quickly, a simple routine that she completed without second thought, rounding out her supposed character and cementing her place in the nobles. Once or twice she found small golden wrappers in her room, accursed evidence of her loyal butler with nothing better to do at times but delight himself with 18th century chocolates. She presumed he found a shop at the market with them, although how he acquired the money was another question. However it was only a risk if he was plundering any of the royals. Anyone else, she couldn't care less.

Finally the week stumped upon a rather sunny and warm sunday, the sunlight cheerily bursting its ways into her chambers without remorse. As it turned out it was the first ay of spring. Not that she’d even noticed winter had gone. Apparently this forsaken country was far more prone to rain then it was to ever snow. If they were lucky they got a downpouring of hail.

Given the joyous occasions of weather and turning of the season, the Princess had dropped Verena of her duties for the day, as she was determined to spend it with her son and husband. Some plans about picnics and lakeside croquette were briefly heard before she was gleefully shooed from the Princess chambers, to where she found herself, standing in the middle of her very bright and golden cast bedchamber.

After about five minutes of standing, basking in the sun. She was so thrown out of routine she didn't know how to manage herself. But she was getting very hot and stuffy very quickly. She stripped herself of her dark auburn gown, leaving them in a pile on the floor, and tore open her wardrobe, feeling a slightly ridiculous lobster in her cage-like bustle. Tugging through heavy drapes of dark to mid toned fabric yield nothing that would be cooler than her auburn dress. Verena frowned, there must be something these women wore to brave even the summer heat.

She hadn't gotten a chance to see the Princess dressed in something other than her dressing gown before she’d been dismissed in the morning. But maybe she was still on the grounds.

Verena skittered over to the window drapes, peeking around through the window. She really had nothing to be ashamed of, she was by all means fully dressed and covered. Maybe she’d already spend too much time in this era.

Something pricked her ears and she swiveled, James was rather slowly and carefully closing the door, a hand clapped over his mouth and one pressed to his chest. His eyes lit up in pure amusement as he shook in silent laughter. The door finally closed and he collapsed, laughing so hard he couldn't manage to do anything but wither on the floor.

Verena launched a pillow at him,”James!,” She clenched her teeth in a cautious yell.

James lifted his arms in protest to the pillow,” you look like a,” he let out a school boy giggle,” Like a,” he attempted a breath to sooth his unbridled laugh. Which backfired and Verena threw another plush pillow. He pressed it to his face and breathlessly finally got out his sentence," A lobster getting married.”

He pulled the pillow down from his face, revealing his usually olive skin tained by red cheeks, and tear steraks. Hh stifled another giggle and rearranged his tousled dark brown hair,”ahh new nickname. Lobster Lady.” the giggled trickled out of his lips.

Verena raised another pillow, her hand halting as she studied James crumpled from leaning against her closed door. His suit jacket was wrinkled, his hair tousled in clumps, eyes rimmed with red.

She hadn't seen him laugh so hard he’d cried since he found out that being a clown was a profession.

She stalked towards him and grabbed his chin tilted his head towards hers,” your drunk,” she spat,” Why”

James winced,”ah not so hard, lobster lady,”

She tore the pillows away from his clutches, throwing them back on the bed.

“Dont let this happen again. Your a sloppy drunk. Dont let anyone see you. And get out.”

He staired blearly at her,” do you still intend on going through with this.”

She studied his ludicrous eyes

“stop acting like some school boy, your MY partner, act like it. Get it together James.”

He remained silent while she returned to her window post, to where she finally spotted the Princess, who was too far away to fully determine what she was wearing, but it appeared to be something rilly, light and flouncy. A muffled groan came from the floor beside the door, Verena stared out the window, waiting until the door clicked closed.

Verena tore into her wardrobe, the air was too suffocating in here. In her fury she heard a hanger clatter against the back of the wardrobe, and something fell with a swoosh. A slip of lace spilled out on the bottom of the wardrobe. Verena tugged it out. A wrinkled, airly but modest dress hung limpy from her hands. Finally.

After a struggled attempt at a million small buttons, Verena stepped out into the courtyard. A breeze tugged at the lace flowers nestled on straw sunhat she pinned into her dark hair. She laid a gentle hand on it, and set off, heels clicking, onto the cobble drive.

The castle lay far enough from town to be a separated entitled entity, but close enough to see the simple buildings coloured lanterns. And in Verena's case, a brisk enough walk to get your lungs working.

It seemed that when the sun came out, everything and everyone came out. It was almost like she's traveled to yet another different world. The wind rusled the budding leaves on the trees, and tickled her skirts as they swished around her ankles. The fields bordering the roads were busy, workers tilling the fields in frenzied seize of the day. Noone else travers on her lone walk along the road.

The cobblestones grew smaller, dirt scattering over the protective hem of her lacey skirts, as two buildings grew up on her sides. Casting her in a coolshade. Voices echo off of the stone walls,a cacophony of arguments, laughter and children's joyful screams. Verena stood absorbing it all, such a simple hardworking life.But it felt so alive. As if life itself possessed this town.

Clouds shifted and the sun blinded her for a split second, before she slated her head down and continued along the road, balancing along the uneven stones. Everything seemed like it’d be copied and pasted as she strode through the buildings.brick and stone framed by lines of wooden beams, varying in sizes for both decorative touch and structural integrity.

But everything had a small personal touch. A skillfully crafted lantered swaying from a varnished beam above a doorway, a scattering of colourfilled scarved weaved around widow frames, carts and barrels neatly arranged in a narrow alley, and dark refreshing garden boxed, with small buds and vines peeping out of fresh dirt adoring a wall.

The town centered around a large square, which was framed by the taller buildings. Whos purposes where revealed with a quick scanning of brightly pained signs hanging above doorrames or posted to the lower walls f the buildings. A pub, a townhall, some sort of schoolhouse, a bank and a small library.

Within the townsquare, multiple stalls and carts lined it, some bleeding out in staggared lines into the streets leding out of it. Most of them where in various states of set up. Some merchants were sitting, counting their wears, or stock, and some where aragig their craft in an appesaing way. Far above the stalls weaved ropes hung with coloured squares of fabric or tassels adding a festive touch to the bright blue sky.

Verena felt the atmosphe change, she was gathering attention. Not that she should have expected any less. A noble woman dressed in bright cream adorned with a hat, simply admiring the square which in comparison to the castle was far superior.

She smiled at the first one who caught her eye, morphing back into her character. His stall held many eye-catching trinkets. Some appeared silver, some brass, some copper. Verena carefully wandered over, appearing more amused than enthralled. The people of this time were a mystery to her, the social norms of the nobles were the only thing she really knew. She’d have to be cautions, feel her way through the conversation.

The man behind the tables watched her, he had a ruddy appearance, stains of black in the crevices of his hands. Rubbed away stains of coal smeared his simple brown shirt, with sleeves cuffed by his elbows. THe whole outtire was finished by a thick leather apron wrapped around his sturdy body.

When she finally arrived at his stall, he was leaning, arms spread wide on the table, looking up at her with curious expectation.

She dropped hand, gliding along the table and tracing her finger over the raised design on a silver mirror.

“Anythin I can help you with miss?”

Verena turned her attention upwards, meeting the surprising inviting brown eyes of the blacksmith,”I’m not looking for anything in particular”

He smiled, revealing an uneven row of teeth,”enjoying the sun eh?’ He swept a hand over the cluttered array of sparkling metal,”I've been cooped up in my shop so much with the rain and gray clouds. I almost don’t have enough table space.” They both chuckled, and he extend his hand, then retraced it at the sight of her pale gloves,” ah you’d think after days of being aorund in the rain id be ceaner, better not soil your fancy gloves.

He nodded his head in greeting instead,’me names Nickolas Barney. Barney the black smith they cll me. ‘

Verena watched hs eyes glaze over her attire once agin, til they met hers. A commoner who could hold a gaze with a noble. Interesting.” I’m Lady Vanessa Parker, I’m-” Nick beat her to the rest of her sentence,”The Princess's newest lady in waiting! I was wondering why I hadn't seen you before. Figured you were passin through.”

Of course word would have spread quickly that a new mysterious noble women had come to town. Usually she knew more about people then they knew about themselves, and they knew nothing of her. Now, people knew more about her, whereas there was no file on every single townsperson. They were numbers on a page. Simple variables in the larger game.

Her attention was sagged back down to the table as the clouds shited, light bouncing off of the shining silver into her face, she stepped aside, out of its path swiftly. And her hand knocked against a slim brass pocket watch.”It would seem, I had no need to introduce myself then.”

Nickolas tilted his head in understanding,”we’re a nosey bunch. NOt much new happens otherwise anyway.” His voice traveled around her like a cloud. The pocket watch was ticking quietly, the brass engraving on the lid quivering with it slightly. Verena traced her finger on it. It was a large tree, brankes and roots both sprawled out and entangled in a weaved border that then encircled the tree itself.

A rough finger tapped the watch, her eyes quickly followed it back up its tanned arm, o where nick was staring curiously at her,”beautiful in’t it? Its got a muse.”

Verena frowned” a muse?”

Nickolas stood up and spread a hand out, looking down on of the streets,”there a lake, n this big oak tree. Probably been there since the start of time. Legend says its got magic in it. Have ye seen it before?”

The spy reached a hand up and adjusted her hat as the clouds continued on their way yet again,”I haven't. It reminded me of a tree I'd play under as a child.” a joyful smile lifted the corners of the other mouth,”I'd pretend to be saving the world with my friend.”

Her gaze returned to the watch,”How much for the-” She faltered, she was a Lady in waiting. Her pay was the mere honor and opportunity that came with simply being in the princess welcome preset,”would you be willing to trade?” she barterned planety of times, black markets were a slinky place, but they had their ways and were of many uses.

Nickolas crossed his arms and leaned back, studying her thoroughly, his eyes narrowed in thought.” You seem to have a connection to this watch. Take it, I will not charge you, nor force ye to part with those memories. They seem dear”

Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:14 pm

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the mutated S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - Verena scolds James for doubting their mission, she also takes a stroll in town and befriends the blacksmith, Nickolas Barney. She even receives a curious pocket watch and an interesting story about a magical lake…

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - I think at one part you meant to say “into”, but that’s just one little thing.

Chocolate Bar - I love how Verena seems cynical, whereas James is more on the empathetic side. James is understandably reluctant to kill a child, but Verena sees it as yet another mission. I wonder what happened to make her think this way, to trust wholly in the organization she works for.

Closing Graham Cracker - I’m wondering if what the blacksmith said about the lake was true. A magical lake seems impossible, but then again, time travel happened. I wonder what she’s going to do…I have a feeling that Verena and James might go their separate ways.

I wish you a lovely day/night! ^v^

Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:12 pm
goodolnoah wrote a review...

Hello there, one of King Koopa’s loyal henchmen, here!

Hello again! ~ Writing Commentary

Gotta say, you really took your character descriptions to the next level here! The world is much more vivid, as well as the characters here! I could probably say that this chapter is my favorite thus far! Between the drama, events, and writing!

I love how you go into the rampant lies that have to be kept up to keep the image of royalty in check. Since this is supposed to be from Verena’s perspective, I can also imagine some of the things expressed here are her thoughts. Especially the “no one was truly ever good”.

It’s cool, between this quote and the following about the princesses’ routine are cool to see. It helps to characterize her and the world she lives in.

I LOVE how we are really getting into the meat of the story here. I wonder if these different perspectives will cause a rift to be formed between James and Verena. Due to this argument, and them spending a bit less time together, I can kind of feel this.

Some recommendations…

No big recommendations, here! There are some grammar mistakes here and there but it’s nothing too detrimental.

Love and…The Poor ~ Story Commentary

Nickolas’ appearance at the end of this chapter was also a nice little moment to have. I really liked when you wrote about Verena’s alleged past where she played under a tree and saved the world with a friend. Whether or not it’s true, it’s quite cute to imagine.

I add this quote here because while I think the writing has MASSIVELY improved, there is one caveat here. If this chapter looks good, the other chapters would also have to (more or less) look the same. I think comparing the two, your earlier chapters lack the deeper descriptions that these newer ones do. It makes the pacing a bit disjointed because there are suddenly multiple timeskips in one chapter, while there are none in others. It doesn’t mean you have to add timeskips to earlier chapters, and it’s likely fine if this is just a one-chapter thing.

Royal Lies ~ Closer

Love to see the improvement!

Spearmint wrote a review...

Hi Lady! It's mint, back with a review! :] And oh boy, this is a longer one. XD It was great to see more of the setting as Verena explored, though, and interesting to see them continue to grapple with the question of murdering a child. You would think they'd be briefed on the fact that their target is only a child... >.< Well. I'm still holding out hope that something will happen before they actually have to kill the child, especially since James seems to be getting along well with him ;-;

Anyways, on to specifics...

James didn't know what he was talking about. He wasn't the one who couldn't fail a mission, they had to succeed. Not succeeding wasn't an option.

Verena and James are opposites in many ways, and I think that's part of why they work so well together. Verena's like the brain (or possibly the muscle) and James is the heart.

...Did you mean "involuntarily" instead of "voluntarily"? xD If you did mean voluntarily, I don't think it's necessary to specify that since it'd be implied that she turned her head of her own volition.

Loved everything about this section. It's so poetic and useful to the reader to zoom out for a moment and get the bigger picture of this community, and the clock metaphor is fantastic. And then the connection to Verena's mission !!
I'm very curious why this society needs to crumble out of history >.>

It was outlined that the target was indeed the child of the royal couple, who would then grow up to age, and be crowned,

Huh. So it was mentioned in the file? Then why did James sound surprised? Was the age of the child not specified?

To vanquish all hopes of another heir and throw them into such grief they barely kept their duties, and so the country would fall. Quicker and far more quietly. Allowing the surrounding countries to invade and conquer without much, if any resistance.

So the grief part makes sense, but I don't understand why killing the child would vanquish all hopes of another heir. Are the princess and prince past the childbearing age already?

Ooh interesting. I bet that routine would be interrupted by the death of her son, though >.<

Here, it was kind of a jolt to be thrown from Verena's thoughts into the present without knowing the setting. Are they in her room? Or some other place? (Later it seems like they're in a store. I think it'd be good to mention that earlier.) I struggle a lot with setting description myself, but it can really help ground your reader in the novel. :]

Both their faces were turned towards the small boy, expressions lit up in the happiness that only a mother and father share for their child.

Verena stared at it, the woman seemed vaguely familiar, like de ja vu, you had a sense you'd seen her before, but couldn't place where or when, or even who she was.

The portrait seems so sweet :') And hmm very curious about that woman as well... Could she be a distant family member of Verena's, possibly??

A mere child cannot be a threat to us.``

Not saying I agree with their mission, but... everyone was a child once, even the most horrible dictators ;-;

A week passed quickly, a simple routine that she completed without second thought, rounding out her supposed character and cementing her place in the nobles.

Despite Verena saying she trusts the agency, she's taking an awfully long time to complete the mission. A part of it could be blending in more, but somehow I suspect she isn't entirely comfortable carrying out the mission either. >.>

Once or twice she found small golden wrappers in her room, accursed evidence of her loyal butler with nothing better to do at times but delight himself with 18th century chocolates.

LOL now I'm just imagining James eating chocolates then gazing at the wrappers and saying, "Hm, yes, seems like the perfect decoration for Verena's room." XD

A lobster getting married.”

Ahahahah ToT XD
And LOL Lobster Lady !!!

Hm. Was the guilt at having to murder a child eating away at him, maybe? :'[

Ah. Well, that was rather cold of Verena, even if she did speak truth. ;-; Now to wait for the inevitable confrontation they'll have,,,

A wrinkled, airly but modest dress hung limpy from her hands. Finally.

Interesting focus on the clothing of the time period! I often forget to describe what my characters are wearing, so I appreciate the attention to detail here.

Beautiful <3

Whos purposes where revealed with a quick scanning of brightly pained signs hanging above doorrames or posted to the lower walls f the buildings.

Nice description! Just a couple of grammar and spelling things here. Grammar: this is an incomplete sentence fragment. You can edit it to be something like this to be a proper sentence (spelling has also been fixed):

"Their purposes were revealed with a quick scanning of brightly painted signs hanging above doorframes or posted to the lower walls of the buildings."

He seems friendly :] I really hope he doesn't end up being a traitor of any sort.

They were numbers on a page. Simple variables in the larger game.

Ah this really illustrates Verena's rational perspective and focus on the mission. Hopefully James or Nickolas or other townspeople can change her perspective on the common folk being only numbers </3

Its got a muse.”

:eyes: Now what could a muse be... My thoughts so far are that a muse could be some kind of spirit, like maybe a fairy-like being.

”I haven't. It reminded me of a tree I'd play under as a child.” a joyful smile lifted the corners of the other mouth,”I'd pretend to be saving the world with my friend.”

Oh? A rare moment of Verena opening up? Wonder who the friend was >.>

” You seem to have a connection to this watch. Take it, I will not charge you, nor force ye to part with those memories. They seem dear”

Aww, that's sweet.
Also, I like how you're hinting at all these mysteries in this chapter, first with the painting and then the watch! Way to keep the reader's attention.

Keep writing, and I hope you have a wonderful day/night! =D

In short, Mrs. Pontellier was beginning to realize her position in the universe as a human being, and to recognize her relations as an individual to the world within and about her.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening