z

Young Writers Society



Sunflowers & Treaties

by Kylan


A/N: Two short shorts that I wrote on a whim. I wanted to explore a couple different characters and a couple different situations. Enjoy.

--

Sunflowers

[spoiler]Darkeyed Phoebe runs through the slouching sunflowers singing some nonsense rhyme and skipping. It's sunday evening. She's still in her best church clothes – the blue flowerprint dress that falls around her like moonlight and her hair is all done up in knotty, black braids that flounce behind her. I sit in the old porch chair and I watch the child pick heavytongued bluebells growing in the planter boxes and put them in her pocket. That old minister's voice is still ringing in my head and I can still feel the pew fossilizing my back. Jesus and Damnation and Salvation buzzing in my head like a whole boxful of honeybees. I sit back and I let the whole day empty out through my skin – some kind of nasty perfume that rises through my pores and exhales into the evening like nicotine.

The sun is red and sullen on the shoulders of the horizon, like an incubating egg. Pollen and spores hanging in the air, all lit up and slow falling. Sulley's old black-nosed tractor complains up the dirt road from the fields and the dust rises up in the sky and then falls back down and covers the leaves and the scowling mailboxes in fine, summer dust. Sulley hunches over and chews tobacco and his black face is sweaty and gritty. I see him wink and smile at me across the yard. Phoebe runs up back through the garden towards me carrying a fistful of bluebells and puckered, loveless buttercups.

“Lord, girl! Not in that beautiful dress!” I say. “Slow down and walk easy for a change. There we go. Like a perfect lady.”

She smiles her white, babytoothed smile and walks nicely up the porchsteps and offers the flower bunch to me and I take it graciously and smile real nice and say, Thank you, Miss Phoebe. What lovely flowers! and she runs back down the steps and disappears into the garden. The sunflowers take custody of her like longnecked wardens. I fold my hands in my lap – they rest there: papery, sunspotted. The veins loop up through the skin like blue latitude lines on an atlas. I close my eyes as the sun dips further behind the horizon and I feel real heavy and warm and out of breath all the sudden. Phoebe laughs and I smile and I think about the potatoes on the boil in the kitchen, hopping in the pot like cold feet. Sulley has gotten off his tractor and his playing with Phoebe, slow, hingejawed old man hunkering in the sunflowers. Eyes wide and wild and wet with childishness. The day rests on my belly. This breathlessness is making me lightheaded. I feel everything emptying. The laughing and the preacher disclosing his roadmap to heaven and the bumbling potatoes knocking, knocking.

I smell things from a long time ago.

I smell the grass and the dust and old paint. The heady manure and the fresh picked flowers crippled in my hand and the sun lighting up the hayfields.

The flowers in my hands fall to the porch one by one.

And I leave Sulley and Phoebe among the sunflowers.[/spoiler]

--

Treaties

Yellow foam stuck out from the ripped passenger seat of the old ford truck like sick tongues. And at every bump and pothole the car jumped, shivered, riding low and slurring on its axle. Soft radio. Fruitfly static. Some rich white balladeer drawled about the road and the scrubby country to a fingerpicked guitar. The whole cab smelled of cigarettes and oil. She sat on the passenger seat and stared at her hands, looking up at the moon, wide-eyed and white as an orderly, and the broken desert spread out and even. Mile markers stood up like reflective prairie dogs. The rancher driving the truck was wearing a sheepskin jacket and chewing sunflower seeds. His hands were shaking. This was his third day without cigarettes. He had loose, roostercomb jowels and his the lines in the skin around his eyes spread out like tributaries. She scooted as far away from him as possible. He hummed to the radio.

She could still feel his hands on her.

Thick fingers and scars and oil and tractor. She hurt. She had been crying a little, but she kept it inside now. The rancher didn't like it when she cried. Her lip was bleeding a little still.

Along the road there were gas and service stations with hard, probing light and dumpy motels with drowsy neon strips and the night buzzed with trip-lipped cicadas and electricity. Trailer parks sat low and pondering like a malpais with the flat, moon-seared trailers hunkering like plateaus. The road clicked and hummed. The balladeer warbled and crooned. Rancher spat sunflower seeds out the window and chewed aimlessly at his lip and glanced sideways at her.

Now that wasn't too bad, was it?

The truck jostled her. No sir, she said.

That's right. There's a girl. Respectful and gracious. At least you people know your place.

Yes sir.

He looked at the road again. Telephone poles leaned in monastic and black as druids of the night. Potholes gaped and the truck shuddered, tools skittering from side to side in the back.

Cold and clean and respectful.

She didn't say anything.

The rancher turned the truck up and narrow, tucked-in road, grinding the gearshift, headlights bobbing and swinging like dancing partners.

He spat again.

You can tell your father he can come pick on my land. Starting tomorrow. Three dollars a crate. Full crate. Not too full, though. And no bruised fruit. Hell, I swear if I see a single brown spot on any one of my pears, I'll throw the whole godawful lot of you out on your sorry ears. You got it?

He looked at her. She nodded.

Good.

She wondered when she would stop hurting.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1272 Reviews


Points: 89625
Reviews: 1272

Donate
Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:40 am
Rosendorn wrote a review...



Hiya Kylan! Figured it was about time I took the hint. ;)

Sunflowers:

There was only one line in this one that I found slightly odd to read:

Sulley's old black-nosed tractor complains up the dirt road from the fields and the dust rises up in the sky and then falls back down and covers the leaves and the scowling mailboxes in fine, summer dust.


This line is pretty hard to slug through with all the "and"s. I am aware it's stylistic, but I would consider breaking this up into two sentences so we don't have to struggle so much to read it.

When it comes to this work as a whole, I found that I didn't have to analyze it, quiet the opposite, actually. The more I took my analytical mind out of the equation the more I found myself understanding this. I still didn't feel completely satisfied with the story, however. I'll try to explain why:

After Phoebe gives her mother (I believe it's mother. I'm unsure of their relationship, however) the flowers, they aren't mentioned again until she stands up and goes inside. It's a minor thing but I'd really like to see them mentioned before that.

I think you're trying to do too much with this story. There's a very choppy feel which is absent in your usual work. I can see the underlying theme in this, (the service introducing the themes of humanity, the potatoes being humans, the wanting to run away from it all) but they don't really tie in together that well, I find.

Remember when I told you about the "predictable descriptions" in 'Absalom, my son'? In that story it was a little over the top, but in here I think some more predictable descriptions need to be put in. That, or the metaphors need to have a more coherent thread to them. They just feel very detached when it should be possible to tie things in together a bit more.

I find that Phoebe and Sully could be woven in a bit more. At the moment, Phoebe seems to play such a bit-part it's hard to see why you put her on. Sully has even more of a bit part. I can see why you would put them in (to show carefreeness, correct? To contrast the mother's?) but I find they could use some time on them to compare the relationship.

Hmm. The sunflowers, despite being the title, hardly play a role. The one line, "the sunflowers take custody of her like longnecked wardens" does hint at something but, again, it doesn't tie into the rest of the work. I would have expected more on this line, and I would have also expected a bit more sunflowers in general from the title.

The ending was probably one of the few reasons I understood this. Had you given Phoebe more of a part it would have been better. At the moment, she seems annoyed by the potatoes. But when I read the story over again, she seemed to have more of a contempt or something similar to Phoebe. She's jealous of Phoebe's childlike innocence, perhaps? I am not sure.

Overall, I found this needed a lot more cohesiveness to truly stand out as a story.

Treaties

She sat on the passenger seat and stared at her hands, looking up at the moon,


I find you're contradicting yourself here. If she's looking at her hands, one automatically assumes she's looking down. If she's looking down it would be very hard to look at the moon.

She could still feel his hands on her.


I like how sudden this is.

She had been crying a little, [...] Her lip was bleeding a little still.


"A little" is repetitive here.

*

I considered this one better than the first story. Some segments were confusing, but as the story unfolded the plot became clearer.

One thing about this story that doesn't sit well with me is the situation. It would be nice to get more of a time-frame or more on what happened. Although I would think that's the point...?

I'm not sure on my feelings with this piece. It's both wonderfully written and set up yet it feels like there's something missing. The first read I got slightly confused, but as I stepped back I saw more of what was going on. I also took the title into consideration. Once I read it again things made sense, but now I'm left with the question, "what happened?"

I'm not sure if that question should be answered though. What sticks to you about this work is how vague it is. Hrm. I think a pinch more situation would do well, but leave the big "what happened" questions there. (Those questions being: What did he do to the girl and what caused the rancher to hurt her to fix the affair. The question I would like to see answered is if her family are slaves or not)

Overall, it was better than the first story on several counts. I'm just a tad confused about the situation to really get this story.

PM me with questions.

~Rosey




User avatar
2058 Reviews


Points: 32885
Reviews: 2058

Donate
Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:30 am
Emerson wrote a review...



I have to admit I'm kind of bothered by the fact that there are two stories in one thread, only because my brain gets upset about mental organization like this, haha... Nothing wrong with it, though. I just have to take one at a time.

Sunflowers

The veins loop up through the skin like blue latitude lines on an atlas.
This metaphor caught me off guard because I don't think it associates well with the rest of the story. Due to the voice, the accents, the settings... I felt the narrator would never make a comparison like that, to an atlas. I had no reason to think he would spend a lot of time, so much as any of it, looking at an atlas, so this jumped out at me. It just seemed.. strange. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Minimal complaint: I felt like you used too many "blank and blank" phrases in the first and second paragraph.

I smell the grass and the dust and old paint.
Your parallelism here is missing. ;-) Either remove the "the"s before grass and dust, or add one before "old paint".

I could pull apart a vague and abstract section that I didn't particularly like... but I don't feel like it? Haha. I found something larger. Uhm, but give me a moment!

I adored the beginning and the setting and most of the descriptions. It made me think of As I Lay Dying which is a great comparison. When I go into my next rant, don't think I didn't enjoy this. I just wasn't satisfied. I liked reading it actually, because I felt, "Wow, something of Kylan's I finally don't have to completely shred!" because the voice made me really, really happy. Points for that.

However the ending left me confused and unsatisfied. I think the narrator died? I'm so lost, darling. And I realized what the problem is. Your voice is great, but he narrates about everyone else, and only his thoughts, so it feels like the story is being told from... a trees point of view or something. There and not there. So I knew nothing about this person. I assumed he was young. So, death? Completely doesn't make sense. I was given no cues as to his age, physical condition, relationship to the other characters... Perhaps I misinterpreted some things, which made me think he was young. I'm not certain. However I think it would be to your benefit if you told us more about him. Give us some characterization! Your narration is stunning. But I feel if you just gave us an inch, even, of characterization, this would be that much better.

Treaties

Yellow foam stuck out from the ripped passenger seat of the old ford truck like sick tongues.
Ford is a brand, so capitalize it. :)

and his the lines in the skin around his eyes spread out like tributaries.
Typo somewhere here?

like a malpais with the flat
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place - I can't figure out what malpais is?

I'll throw the whole godawful lot of you out on your sorry ears.
For some reason, I don't think he would say ears.

I really love your descriptions. They give the pace and atmosphere a great, realistic feel. You seem to have either spent a lot of time in these types of places, read a lot about them, or have an awful good imagination. (Which doesn't matter.) It made me really, really happy. The problem is though, I like to have my attention grabbed. Especially when I'm reading. I tend to think, "I'm wasting time," if I'm not interested soon enough. I loved your details - but your second paragraph had more grab than anything in the first. The first set the scene, but in my opinion, you should put the single sentence paragraph first. Maybe that's just me because it is something I would do. I like the conflict to be there, ASAP. So, if you think it's a horrible idea, don't do it. This is my thought. I zone out easily in lots of description if I don't care about the people. Other readers are... other readers. ^_~

I love you lack of quotation marks or any real form of quotation signaling in this piece. It gave it a silence - which sounds strange - but I do mean it like that. As if we were in the girls head, and given what happened, she'd be closed like that. Quotation marks would interrupt the contemplation.

The balladeer sang about the night.
I'm sorry but I did not like this sentence and I think you should cut it. The line after it: perfect. End on that, and just that. This line appeared weak next to it and I drew no great symbolism from it. The stories focus is not on the singer, though he may be symbolic, I really wasn't paying attention for that. Our focus and attention should be on the girl, and your second sentence displays that - and punches us with it. This sentence, to me, did nothing.

Overall, I liked the second more than the first. I really hope this helped, darling! I was pleased, and I hope to read more soon.




User avatar
74 Reviews


Points: 1226
Reviews: 74

Donate
Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:45 am
bElL3 says...



I agree with scribblingquill, I loved this! I can tell you love to write. I admire your imagery here, too, I could picture everything in my head! Wow. All I can say is keep writing and rock on, bro! \m/(>.<)\m/ bElL3




User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 62

Donate
Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:36 pm
scribblingquill wrote a review...



Wow!

So much great imagery here, really your word choice is great, the image of the girl in the sunflower fields was lovely- could really picture her.

Dialogue was real good too, just from the elder characters dialogue alone you get a great sense of setting, tone and a good feel for the character too.


(= well done!

i could witter on, but i don't really have anything to criticize, and im sure you know which bits you like and think you did well anyway so...


have a nice day!





Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.
— Henry David Thoreau