z

Young Writers Society



Absalom, my son

by Kylan


The charcoal turns her feet black.

She walks in the ruins of the old church, scattering the probing flies, the slinktailed coyotes with their pink tongues and their yellow, casted eyes moving away like deserters. The sky is thirsty. The land is a parched tongue. It laps up the spilled blood like a mother's milk. The scalped bodies lie in attitudes of repose, prayer, worship. The darkeyed, capless mexican women have their dresses torn open, revealing pale breasts, eyes upturned. The robed, pious men with their red headtops, their bodies curled. The place smells of tar and smoke and hair. She walks carefully; the supports and the broken lengths of wood snarl skyward, still redhearted with coals and embers from the fire.

Blackened crucifixes with the lily-wristed corpus are ripped off the walls, desecrated. Only the old belltower stands, with its churchbell swaying and mournful, like a friar pulling a cart full of dead.

She looks for him.

She looks for him among the indiscernible faces. Under the prostrate, ruined bodies. She just wants to look at him one last time. A good, last look. Feel the shape of his face. The flesh of his lower lip, the slope and rise of cheekbones. Close his eyelids. Sit with him. See him off as best she could.

**

Brother Abel closed the door to the stable, thrilled and terrified, licking his lips, massaging his rosary a single bead at a time, like the toes of a baby. Maria stood in the middle of the slumped room. The air was full of dust motes, the smell of hay, sweat, grease. The horses with their long, indignant faces. Flipswitch tails. Viewing them. She was just as nervous. Breath condensing, bloodsound in her ears, palms sweating. She could almost feel God watching. Through the knotholes, the openings in the clapboard.

Cobwebs in the corners lifted and fell like the veils of new brides.

Abel turned. Smiled. Stepped toward her and took her hands in his. Good, strong hands. Accustomed to work, a plow, a hammer. But also accustomed to prayer. He had held many. They dwelt in lines of his palms, under his fingernails. His face scrapped, scrubbed. Tired, weak eyes. He regarded her. Bent his head, kissed her ear.

The horses turned away.

**

The mission leader is stripped down and gutted, naked body white and florescent, eyelids peeled back like blisters. He rests on the alter. Blood staining the communion cloth, rorschach blots in the weave. His face is at peace, strangely. His features ordered, arranged. The bell sings breathlessly in the wind. The slightest nodding, nodding, like a mother weeping over her dead children. Their blessed, stricken bodies. Leads them away. She can feel their shivering, bodiless souls in the doorways, on the fallen beams, among the dead. They watch her.

The sky is red, watery – a placenta. The dark shuffles, beggarly. Rattling and ringing away the sickly light like an approaching leper. The coyotes circle in the mesquite and the chaparral, restless, jealous. She has covered every square inch of the burned church. She starts moving the bodies. They are heavy, groaning, moving reluctantly, like heavy sleepers. Their blood is still wet. It comes away on her hands. A robbed honey.

She does not cry. She will not cry.

She tells herself that there is no reason to.

**

The moon turned the desert white, withdrawn – a barren woman. It turned her skin white, too. They rested in the hay. Maria was very conscious of his skin on hers, her undone hair. She was very conscious of his fingertips moving down her face. They looked at each other for a long time. Concentrated, knowledgeable. Frogs croaking like patients in a hospital. Their mindless complaints. Rublegged crickets. The undressed moon. Hand behind her head. The hot, even breath.

What have you done? She asks. Not angrily. Honestly, quietly.

He looks at her. I have tasted an afterlife, he says.

Is there an afterlife for a man like you?

It does not feel wrong. It could not be wrong. God doesn't work that way.

What if they find out?

Let's talk about something else.

They laid there for a little while longer. His eyes traveling all over her face, like nomads. She closed her eyes. Listened. She opened them again. The stars scavenged the dark through the gaps in the ceiling.

He looked down.

Besides. This is worth the hell, don't you think?

Yes, she says.

**

She finds him under a priest in a bloodstained cassock. He has no scalp. His skull is revealed, white and secret, like a pregnant belly. Flies dance at his head, rubbing their legs like fastidious, handwashing doctors before a surgery. His eyelids flicker. She moves the priest and feels for Abel's pulse – an unmistakable, bloodless toll. She bends down to his face and feels his breath against her cheek. He is alive. Maria takes the news without sound. Cups her hand under his jaw. Whispers,

Abel.

Abel.

The dark folds around her, the horizon a red hourglass on the abdomen of a starless sky. The lantern-eyed coyotes. Grey, palsy dusk. The cold takes her like an arthritis. Settles over her shoulders, her blue digits. His eyelids flutter again. Tired candleflames.

Abel, Abel.

He opens his eyes. He looks at her and she holds her gaze. Smiles. They both smile. And she cries a little. He raises his hand and touches her elbow. A loveless sigh of wind sways the bell and its clapper rings against its bronze waist like a dead hand.

They look at each other for a while.

He opens his mouth. Licks parched lips.

Don't try to save me, Maria.

She tries to smile again. You have time. You're just fine, just fine. Tell yourself you'll make and you'll make it.

I'm just so...sleepy. Tired.

Stay awake.

I don't think so.

I'll stay awake with you.

I don't think so.

Abel.

Go home, Maria.

Go home. Go home? Just like that? Like I'm some kind of pesky neighbor child? Abel. You've got to. You've got to live. I can't do this alone. Do it for me. For me, Abel. Don't you love me?

He sighs. Closes his eyes. The coyotes move into the ruins, picking around the dim shrouded cadavers. The sky smells of rain. The clouds hang low and weary, like housewives. Abel opens his mouth again, but keeps his eyes closed.

Of course I love you.

Then stay with me.

Tears from the corners of his eyes. Silent and slow to form, like beads of candlewax.

He whispers, Let me go, Maria.

She looks at him. Nods. Lifts his hand, spreads the fingers, touching each one, kissing each one and then places the hand on her belly. It is cold through the fabric. He looks at her. She nods. There is great meaning in the dark. The snuffling coyotes. Pious, chaste bellnoises. Swollen-cheeked sky line, rolls of purple clouds, shaded like eyelids.

What will I name it?

Opens his mouth, coughs. Blood on his lips. Prayers on his lips. He looks up.

Name him Absalom, he says.

Maria lets go of his hand. She bends down and kisses him. His lips are already cold. The burned church weeps. The rain begins.

She sits with him through the night.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1272 Reviews


Points: 89625
Reviews: 1272

Donate
Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:17 pm
Rosendorn wrote a review...



Hiya!

I was going to critique this via PM, since I discovered this when it was the random work and it was already on page three. But, since June was so kind to pull it up, I shall critique it here. ^_^

Blackened crucifixes with the lily-wristed corpus are ripped off the walls


The fragments are really the only emphasis you need. With "corpus" in italics, I find it makes it stand out unnecessarly. After looking up the definition I realize the whole plot ties into this, but it's so subtle that you have to know the word to understand why it's in italics.

Brother Abel closed the door to the stable, thrilled and terrified, licking his lips, massaging his rosary a single bead at a time, like the toes of a baby. Maria stood in the middle of the slumped room. The air was full of dust motes, the smell of hay, sweat, grease. The horses with their long, indignant faces. Flipswitch tails. Viewing them. She was just as nervous. Breath condensing, bloodsound in her ears, palms sweating. She could almost feel God watching. Through the knotholes, the openings in the clapboard.


Subtle, here. Not only is there a hard-to-spot viewpoint shift, it took me a minute to realize what this whole scene meant. (This was originally the issue I had)

The first three times I read this, I thought he had come upon her accidentally. The way she's described makes it seem like she's done something else wrong, other then being with a priest, and he takes an interest in making her feel better. I now realize that's not the case, but I had to read the work and the comments to completely understand this passage.

And, just because I'm nit-picky, the first part of this paragraph reads as Brother Abel's viewpoint while the second part, after the horses, reads as Maria's viewpoint. That's sort-of the reason I misunderstood this paragraph the first time. The viewpoint shift seems to split the issue that they're connected in to issues, plural, that are personal.

Tell yourself you'll make and you'll make it.


Shouldn't there be an "it" after the first "make"?

*

So, what to ramble about first? :lol:

The fragments here work wonderfully. As usual. Describing outside objects to describe your characters is a wonderful trick I want to pick up. ^_^ It's such a distant third person, almost omniscient, but I don't find myself wanting to get inside the character's head more.

I like the way the romance is set up. It might be nice to find out how they met, but there isn't much room for that in the story and it's not really relevant. Although now that I think about it the tone is a bit fast on the romance part. Not so much the scenes you have, but, as I mentioned before, we don't really have any preamble or mentions of how long they've been together. Put a bit more information about the seasons in so it doesn't feel too fast.

I mostly liked this. It felt a bit predictable with the descriptions, which doesn't detract from the work but I don't feel like it enhances it. There is also the issue with how quickly the romance progresses.

Very nice work Kylan. ^_^

~Rosey




User avatar
387 Reviews


Points: 27175
Reviews: 387

Donate
Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:37 am
Kylan says...



Thank you all so much! I'm really glad that you all enjoyed it.

Just to clear up any questions: the reason for all the blood and carnage is that this mission fell to an indian scalphunting party. I've been reading Blood Meridian, which deals a lot with that topic. It caught my interest...

Thanks again,

-Kylan




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 15394
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:05 am
Juniper wrote a review...



Hi Kylan!


I love, love, love how this story begins in fragmented pieces of information (which consists of sentence fragments as well), but as we read on, everything becomes clearer, smoother, leading us to the climax.

I love your style-- it's so wonderful to read, heavy with similes and beautiful language, but every time I read something of yours, it's different; unique and refreshing.

I am a little confused about what happened here. I am pretty sure that's just me, missing the whole point of it. I see a lot of coyotes and blood (which truly sounds scary, let me tell you) and I'm wondering if this is all a punishment brought down? Nevertheless, without telling us plainly what happened here, you're leaving the audience something to think about which is wonderful.

Another thing I loved is your lack of dialogue marks-- this gave it a rather distanced feel, not as if we're so distanced, we can't relate to the characters anymore, but distanced in a strange way-- almost as if we can feel the distance growing between Maria and Abel, though she's still at his side.

The ending was wonderful, dear. I'm not a giant fan of cliffhangers that leave me wanting more of the story, but I think that this was the most perfect way to end this.

Also. I pretty much fail [[epically]] at critiquing your stories. I'm hopeless. :P

... or rather, you're just too good, or something. ;)

A beautiful story, Kylan.

Now! Before I go, one thing! :P I've just finished reading Josephsdotter [[for the thousandth time]] and I got to thinking: has your theme changed? I mean, is this like a transition piece? Your last previous works were all about pregnant women (including this) and this lies heavily on religion, as does Josephsdotter. Are you going to keep writing a bunch of religious pieces? :P

Beautiful work here, Kylan. Wonderful imagery... although, I would have loved if you made the coyotes less menacing-seeming and more cute. :P


Juniper ;)




User avatar
137 Reviews


Points: 3214
Reviews: 137

Donate
Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 pm
Bittersweet wrote a review...



I felt like there should be some kind of meaning, rather than "Name him Juan."


I lol'd at that. I just imagined that long pause, his hand on her belly, and then "... Juan".

Anyway. I think this is my first time reviewing anything of yours, so I hope the critique is to your liking. Feel free to curse my name if it is not. ;)

I commend you for the way everything tied together. The stories of how Maria and Abel came to be together all fell into place at the end. I loved the way the piece started in fragments, no real chronological order and, at first, no strong relation to each other. But then they build on each other and it all makes sense.

Even so, I wanted to know a little bit more as to why all these dead bodies were lying about. I felt a little like a was missing something. How come Maria lived through it, where as many were lying dead? I don't want to see a long-winded explanation about what happened, though. That would ruin the story. Just a small sentence could sum it up nicely.

I liked the use of sentence fragments here. The story became a little more... abstract along with it. But there was a point when it became a little too much. It's like eating a whole cake. The first few pieces are delicious, but the more you eat, the less you like it. I would weed out some of the fragments and make the story flow a little more smoothly, if I were you.

One thing I really enjoyed was the romance of the story in itself. There's not too much of it, which is often a problem with romantic literature. We don't want to know every minute, second, and millisecond of the lover's lives, and you made sure that we didn't. The reader gets a brief taste of their relationship before and understands how close the two are. Not the whole cake, as I mentioned before. What I didn't like about the romance here was:

Besides. This is worth the hell, don't you think?


The 'forbidden' love thing works with this piece, but this line sort of ruined it for me. It's so cliche, the whole "I'll love you even if it means I'm going to rot in hell" kind of thing. I'm not sure how to suggest you fix it, but I really think you should change something about this, without changing the whole plot line. I trust your writing abilities can do that well.

As for the overall story, I really did enjoy it. It all fell together with a dash of mystery and a dash of love. And I love how you tied in the David and Bathsheba story along with this one. Classy. ;) Though, I wonder. Not that I have a problem with it, but why do you choose not to use quotation marks?

Hoping you have not already cursed my name (:P),
-Holly




User avatar
369 Reviews


Points: 15698
Reviews: 369

Donate
Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:28 am
Conrad Rice wrote a review...



Hey Kylan! Been a long time since i sat down to review some of your stuff. I'll get right down to it.

I really liked this story. It reminded me a lot of Blood Meridian, for some reason. I don't know why though, it's not like you're reading it at the moment. ;)

But in all seriousness, I did like it. I finally saw here just how character driven your stories are. It's a strength you should expand on, to enhance its versatility and allow you to craft better stories.

Once again, I see your similes and metaphors are in great abundance. I don't mind it too much this time around. I thought you compared someone to a placenta for a moment, but that was just me not paying attention, so it's all good. All in all, not too bad in that department. Not too excessive at all.

I hate not being able to find things to critique in your stories. It makes me feel inadequate. The only thing I can point out is that this is once again about a pregnant woman, though knowing you you already know that, so me pointing it out looks like me being a jerk. So I'll stop that. :P

PM me if you have any questions or comments, or just PM me anyway, cause I'm a lonely hermit. Good job, and good luck.




User avatar
695 Reviews


Points: 2242
Reviews: 695

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:35 pm
Angel of Death wrote a review...



o.O This is what my face looked like when I saw that you posted in Romantic Fiction! Not that I don't think you pull a story about love off, it's just really rare to see you round these parts, is all. But welcome to this forum!

Sorry, if I repeat anything the above reviewer pointed out.

The charcoal turns her feet black.


Great opening sentence.

Overall, I love this! Really, it's refreshing to see you write something mellow and I've been seeing a pattern of pregnant women.

Absalon, fili mi or in English, is Absalom, my son. It's a song that illustrates David's grief of losing the only son he had left. I'm thinking that this was loosely based off of that because the father died and the son didn't.

I liked all of the imagery and the fragments. The way you wrote the dialogue fit, to me. I especially liked the dialogue here:
What have you done? She asks. Not angrily. Honestly, quietly.
He looks at her. I have tasted an afterlife, he says.
Is there an afterlife for a man like you?
It does not feel wrong. It could not be wrong. God doesn't work that way.
What if they find out?
Let's talk about something else.
They laid there for a little while longer. His eyes traveling all over her face, like nomads. She closed her eyes. Listened. She opened them again. The stars scavenged the dark through the gaps in the ceiling.
He looked down.
Besides. This is worth the hell, don't you think?
Yes, she says.


Beautiful.

Keep writing, my friend

~ Angel

*gold star*




User avatar
387 Reviews


Points: 27175
Reviews: 387

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:20 pm
Kylan says...



Thank you lilymoore! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

An explanation of the meaning of the name Absalom:

Absalom was the son of the old testament King David. Therefore Abel is meant to represent David, who fell from grace after he commits adultery with Bathsheba. Abel is a priest in a mexican mission outpost, and is forbidden to have sexual intercourse at all, but falls from grace, like David, when he makes love with Maria. Absalom is David's most well-known son.

I know that that all is kind of a stretch. The parallelism was something that came to me after the fact. But in that tense moment where Maria asks Abel what they should name their child, I felt like there should be some kind of meaning, rather than "Name him Juan." You know? If you guys think this would be better without all the bible references, let me know.

I don't know why everybody is such a stickler for quotation marks... :roll:

:wink:

-Kylan




User avatar
675 Reviews


Points: 28467
Reviews: 675

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:34 am
lilymoore wrote a review...



Hey Kylan. First off, I want to say that I always enjoy reading your stuff, even if I don’t always review it but I’m feeling ambitious tonight so here goes.

First off, I want to say that the opening line grabbed me in right away because it’s so obscure but tempting at the same time and it makes me want to continue reading on.

See him off as best she could.


I’m not always the best when it comes to judging tenses but I think that ‘could’ should be ‘can’ along with adding an ‘as’ after ‘best.’

She could almost feel God watching. Through the knotholes, the openings in the clapboard.


I would make this into one sentence if I were you. All together, the meaning is powerful but too many sentence fragments start to seem tedious. Something like: “She could almost feel God watching them through the knotholes and the openings in the clapboard.” Or something along that line anyway. You’ll get it right.

They dwelt in the lines of his palms…


I think you meant for a “the” in here.

The moon turned the desert white, withdrawn – a barren woman. It turned her skin white, too. They rested in the hay. Maria was very conscious of his skin on hers, her undone hair. She was very conscious of his fingertips moving down her face. They looked at each other for a long time. Concentrated, knowledgeable. Frogs croaking like patients in a hospital. Their mindless complaints. Rublegged crickets. The undressed moon. Hand behind her head. The hot, even breath.


All of this is so powerful. It creates a breathtaking scene full of dark, haunting poetics.

Name him Absalom, he says.


Maybe I’m just out of the loop but I don’t get the meaning behind the name. Did I miss a page in my history book? I’m not sure. If it has some significance that I missed, please clue me in.

Overall, the only major issue I had with this story is the lack of quotation marks around the dialogue. I think it would have definitely been nice to have more dialogue punctuation but then again, I’m rather OCD about that.

Also, and this isn’t so much of a complaint as a warning…don’t go too overboard on the fragments. They are beautiful to a point such as the long paragraphs that you make very vivid but when one is just scattered into the story randomly, the effect can be lost.

If you have any questions, just PM me.

~lilymoore





No one achieves anything alone.
— Leslie Knope