The Tiger

by KittyCatMeow

A tiger lurks in the forest,
its eyes emerald green,
it hunts its prey until its rest,
a body lithe and lean.

A tiger is actually kind,
it’s kind in a way we can’t explain,
there isn't a reason to find.

A tiger almost never fights,
a wise decision indeed,
a tiger just fights for his rights,
which is often to feed.

A tiger looks surprisingly strong,
a tiger is actually kind,
a tiger will never fight very long,
a tiger has feelings and a mind.

tgirly wrote a review...

The ending of the second stanza felt a bit abrupt, probably because all of the other stanzas have four lines while that one only has one.
I love the mild repetition in this poem; it creates a lovely effect.
I don't know why, but I felt like there were too many commas at the ends of lines. I'm not even sure if that's a thing that can be a problem, over-use of commas, but it just stuck out to me for some reason. I'd suggest changing one into a ;. It probably wouldn't make any difference if you did or not; it's just a random suggestion.
I might change the last line in stanza three to "which is often the right to feed." I feel like that line needs a few more syllables, and the repetition of the long i sound again wouldn't be a bad thing.
Sorry if this review was nit-picky and unhelpful; I tried. Happy Review Day!!!!!
From the Flaming Keys,
-Tgirly

buddy886551 wrote a review...

GREAT! I love animals and your right. Tigers are to misunderstood! Its a very good poem in my opinion. Your a great poet I certainly couldn't write as good as this! I really liked when you wrote 'A tiger has feelings and a mind' because its true. Most people think of tigers as bloodthirsty animals when really there sweet. I mean look at a tigers cubs cute right? Think Who feeds these cubs? Who makes sure the cubs survive? Tigers are a great species and everyone loves them! Keep writing!

From,
Buddy886551

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:34 pm
Hanorah wrote a review...

Hey kittyCatmeow!
I'm hanorah and i'll be reviewing your poem today!

Ok, stanza number 2: I found it a bit confusing. I can see you're looking for a word to rhyme with kind, but it makes no sense. I did the exact same thing in one of my poems, but I never changed it and it kind of ruined my poem :L

I think every third line in each stanza should be a new sentence, capitalise the first letter and put a full stop at the end of the second line in each stanza.

Overall, it was a good smart poem, I liked the way you looked at things ;)
~keep writing

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:13 pm
InfinityAndBeyond wrote a review...

Hi there Infinity here to review!

Well, I like the simplicity of your poem, it's focused on the tiger and is short and sweet. You've described characteristics of a tiger well and your theme is clear and easy to understand.

However there is always room for improvement so I have some suggestions that may improve your poem further.

"A tiger lurks in the forest,
its eyes emerald green,
it hunts its prey until its rest,
a body lithe and lean."

This stanza is good and engaging, but you need a capital letter in the beginning of your third line because it's a new sentence, you should add a capital each time since you've written every new sentence in lower-case throughout your poem, unless that is intended, however is not correct grammatically.
I would have liked you to continue on the body a tiger has, you could have created beautiful imagery and ironically you never mentioned the beauty of the stripes a tiger possesses...

" A tiger is actually kind,
it’s kind in a way we can’t explain,
there isn't a reason to find."

Stanza 2.
Fell very flat, it's confusing and you're very vague about how a tiger is actually kind, it would be helpful if you did explain and show, again using some imagery how a tiger is exactly kind. You repeated in another stanza how a tiger is kind, so I think you should
add another line to this stanza, or just get rid of it completely.

"A tiger almost never fights,
a wise decision indeed,
a tiger just fights for his rights,
which is often to feed."

Stanza 3.
I think you should have said a tiger does fight, as that would make it seem more heroic that a tiger just fights for his rights. But the only reason a tiger fights is to feed? You didn't mention what other things make an animal fight in wildlife, e.g. protecting cubs, family, respect.

"A tiger looks surprisingly strong,
a tiger is actually kind,
a tiger will never fight very long,
a tiger has feelings and a mind."

Stanza 4.
Elaborate on the sight of strength in a tiger, the claws on his paws, the fiery eyes, the sharp teeth, the heavy weight etc.. this would have created an image so that when you say a tiger is actually kind we take the tiger's strong image aside to see the kindness. But I'm still confused as of how a tiger is kind? What kind of feelings does a tiger have in his mind? You should state it. Perhaps also try a stronger ending to your poem as it still feels unfinished.

Overall a great poem, with plenty of potential, you could still keep it sweet, short and simple just edit it a bit. Keep writing!

Hope I was of help to you!

-Infinity x

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:52 am
NightWolf wrote a review...

This poem is so beautiful. I love nature and animals so I was automatically drew in by the title. Short, simple and sweet, perfect! I must say, I am very pleased to have clicked on this little beauty.

Now, firstly, the flow. The poem does carry itself out to the end, and this is helped by the nice little repeatibg line: A tiger

My only issue with flow is the fact that the second stanza has only three lines. It's like a large rock in a river. Couldn't you possibly add another line?

The rhyming is excellent, I can see no problem here, so well done!

The spelling is all good, as is the grammar. Nothing wrong here, congratulations!

I can see that this poem is heartfelt and thoughtful, I look forward to reading more.

Find wonder in the everyday, find everyday language to articulate it.
— Maurice Manning