z

Young Writers Society



Why Does My Name Start With an M and end with an R?

by KittyCatMeow


I have my thoughts,
you have your own,
so why do we have to be
so alone?

They shun us,
hate us,
bicker at us,
and they make such a fuss.

What if we’re different?
Or so strange anyway?
As long as we’re us,
we’re fine either way.

We are the same.
Very, very the same.
Even if we’re so “unnatural”,
the world is still glad we came.

But I don’t know who you are,
or wherever you are,
though I sense you…
only being you.

Do you remember?
The day I killed you
with my knife in September?
That day had been so blue.

Now the world is painted red.
War has stained this land.
I cannot be who I am anymore.
I throw my life down now.

I killed you on the first day.
The start of the war,
that would go on until May.
It didn't even last an year.

Yet I still regret
plunging the sharp object
into your fragile body -
It's only formal for me to say,

R.I.P.

Little May Gale

And that is why, I am a murderer.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 2
Reviews: 47

Donate
Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:13 pm
View Likes
TinyJarStoredDreams wrote a review...



Hellooo Tiny here!

First off, I'm really creeped out now, but in a good way. This poem made a shiver go down my back. Who would have guessed that you scared the fearless. I really enjoyed your poem, also nice rhyming... wish I could rhyme.

Keep writing 8)




User avatar


Points: 240
Reviews: 2

Donate
Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:37 pm
View Likes



I wish i could be a murderer,it sounds like fun.Just a little...




User avatar
159 Reviews


Points: 2117
Reviews: 159

Donate

User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:33 am
View Likes
Snoink wrote a review...



When I first read the title, I was like, "Oh, this is a poem about a mother!" Then I saw that it was in "Horror" and I was like, "Oh, it's a monster!" Then I clicked on it, and I was like, "WAIT A SECOND."

...okay, so I'm a bit slow! :P

As for the poem? I shall show you my thoughts, stanza by stanza!

I have my thoughts,
you have your own,
so why do we have to be
so alone?


I know, I know... this is poetry, etc. But still, starting off with a punch can be a good thing, since it can help hook a reader! So... this first stanza, you're talking about thoughts and how they make you alone. But, I was like, "What is the nature of these thoughts, and why do they make this person so alone?" Besides, the first couple of lines seemed a bit to be a no-brainer. Of course people have different thoughts! This is the beauty of individuality. It seemed a bit too vague to be particularly catchy. So, I was kind of hoping you would go into these thoughts...

They shun us,
hate us,
bicker at us,
and they make such a fuss.


...which you absolutely don't do at all in the next stanza. Instead, we are aware that the narrator and the narrator's companion are somehow shunned. But still, there are a lot of unanswered questions here. What are these thoughts? And, because I am annoying and judgmental, I think, "Perhaps these thoughts are what caused this hatred? And maybe this hatred is legitimate?" After all, if the thoughts aren't even discussed at all, then maybe this whole whining is a kind of an excuse!

What if we’re different?
Or so strange anyway?
As long as we’re us,
we’re fine either way.


I am becoming even more and suspicious of the narrator. I mean. Now the narrator is trying to justify these thoughts which apparently have aroused all this hatred. It sounds like some people that I know who do terrible things and then try to blame the world for their problems. Nope! The world is not to blame. You just did something stupid. So... what is this thing?

We are the same.
Very, very the same.
Even if we’re so “unnatural”,
the world is still glad we came.


Yay. Contradictions in the poem. The world hates you, and yet the world is glad? Eh... I don't think that necessarily works that way. It's a bit odd. And, in any case, I am getting impatient. What are these thoughts?

But I don’t know who you are,
or wherever you are,
though I sense you…
only being you.


More contradictions. Bleh. So, first the narrator is like, "We're the same!" and now the narrator is like, "I don't know who you are!" UH HUH. Yeah. Sure. And it's in that abstract way like, "I want to be as obscure and as vague as possible!" I mean, we STILL don't know what the narrator is thinking (which is how this poem started in the first place), other than the fact that there seem to be looooots of contradictions. Which makes me wonder if the narrator is thinking at all...

Do you remember?
The day I killed you
with my knife in September?
That day had been so blue.


Hmmmm... I think the answer to this question is no, the murder victim doesn't remember the day, seeing as said murder victim is dead. Or at least, I would think that the details are a bit fuzzy. Nor do I think that the description "that day had been so blue" is a particularly good way of reminding said deceased person's of that day, were this person able to remember it at all. In any case, you go from vague, contradictory ramblings to something that is actually interesting... but it feels disjointed now. But, at least it has some action now?

Now the world is painted red.
War has stained this land.
I cannot be who I am anymore.
I throw my life down now.


>.>

<.<

We don't really know who the narrator is in the first place? So, the whole, "I cannot be who I am anymore!" really doesn't have the impact that it should. I mean. Think about what we have in your poem. Some vague, rambling stanzas about how the narrator and the victim are the same, but the narrator doesn't know the victim, but they are hated by the world, but the world loved them, but the narrator killed the victim.

...I mean. What exactly are we supposed to glean from this so far? Emotional context is really not there for the poem.

I killed you on the first day.
The start of the war,
that would go on until May.
It didn't even last an year.


Ah... so it sounds like there is actually a war? And maybe this is a soldier that killed another soldier or... something like that? I am confused. :?

Yet I still regret
plunging the sharp object
into your fragile body -
It's only formal for me to say,

R.I.P.

Little May Gale

And that is why, I am a murderer.


...so maybe not a soldier, seeing as it's Little May Gale?

I AM SO CONFUSED.

Anyway, I see that you have tons of good reviews, so I am probably missing something big here! But, to me, the poem seems very contradictory, it kind of rambles on aimlessly, and I'm really not sure of the point. One of the readers said it was about someone that back-stabbed a friend or something, but... I mean. If you're going to back-stab a friend, this friend has probably wronged you in some way, so you're probably not going to regret it so much...

Or maybe I can't understand this poem because I am not a teenager anymore. >.>

Anyway! Hopefully you found this review helpful? If you have any questions, feel free to ask! And, keep writing. :)




KittyCatMeow says...


YES! SOMEONE NOTICED MY TERRIBLENESS. (<- Not even a word)



Snoink says...


Eh... try not to put yourself down too much and consider it terribleness, etc. I think every writer goes through this phase of attempting to write depressing stuff, except sometimes it comes off as a disaster. Or... at least that is what happened to me, lol. Your stuff is actually better than some of my old stuff. >.>

Anyway, what happens is that we get better at expressing ourselves and we start to learn how to say things directly, without having to resort to vague imagery. It just takes a while, and it can be frustrating to not really be able to "speak."

In any case, don't be afraid of speaking up and being bold and daring in your writing. You picked a bold subject, it seems, but you didn't attack it boldly. So, next time, be brave and say what you want to say. It'll make the poem that much better. :)



KittyCatMeow says...


I noticed the mistakes after it was published.

>.<



Snoink says...


Haha, it's okay! I've seen typos in my own published work. It happens! ;)



KittyCatMeow says...


Editing also often makes others confused.



Snoink says...


Just put a note. "This thing was edited, because I say so." It helps! ;)



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 357
Reviews: 9

Donate
Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:52 am
Mindfang wrote a review...



I thought this was going to be funny. I thought this was going to be someone asking their parents why they gave them such a name as the one they have. But it was not a funny or happy poem. It was sad. It hurt my poor heart. Why must you do this to me? I came for happiness and got heart break.




KittyCatMeow says...


o.o Sorry, >.> genre, horror. I tried warning you. >.<



User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 728
Reviews: 56

Donate
Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:26 am
View Likes
methrirr123 says...



My name is Methrirr... um... don't tell nobody.




KittyCatMeow says...


o.o; What if I do?



User avatar
66 Reviews


Points: 94
Reviews: 66

Donate

User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 440
Reviews: 18

Donate
Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:31 am
View Likes
SoundsOfLife wrote a review...



Okay. First of all. If I was walking thru a book store, and saw a book with the tittle "Why Does My Name Start With an M and end with an R?" On it's cover, I would think to myself, Humm... What does this mean? What name starts with M and ends with a R? I must find out what it means! Why would this be? Because it makes you think, it makes the reader extremely curious as to what this story has instore for the person. Just wanted to point that out. Vary good tittle name.

The story itself is vary well done, it always makes you think of what going on even though the story is vary short, and I like how it turns so dark so fast that it takes you by surprise. The beginning made me think that this was turning out to become a love story of some guy who's depressed or something. But I was wrong.

And the ending is the best, THE BEST part. The knowing of what M and R means. Vary cool! Well done! Excellent! Two thumbs up!




User avatar
191 Reviews


Points: 7136
Reviews: 191

Donate
Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:50 am
View Likes
Nargles wrote a review...



Wow!
This is really good, I really enjoyed it.

It is dark, macarbe, twisted and sad. Your use of rhyme really helps to juxtapose the darkness of the lyrics with the actual rhyme and flow of the poem.

The way that the poem turns really quickly, from the two people being together, them against the world to the persona turning on the other is really good and it helps to give the reader more of an understanding.

I honestly don't have any thing else to say because it is so good. I particularly love the last lines and how you finally understand the meaning of the title.

Good job and keep writing
Nargles xxx




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 268
Reviews: 14

Donate
Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:34 pm
View Likes
modernzombie wrote a review...



i personally love this, its dark but it has great emotion , my favorite part is this

Now the world is painted red.
War has stained this land.

its simple but has a great meaning, and the last few lines are very powerful. I love your description and the suspense throughout the whole stories, you did a great job! We have very similar writing styles so check out my poems when you get the chance and keep writing(:




User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 634
Reviews: 11

Donate
Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:55 am
View Likes
Usero wrote a review...



Very different and thoughtful. Could feel the indifference initially which changed more into guilt at the later stages. Had a good rhyme scheme to it. Liked the way how you kept the lines short and simple.
My favourite line was the way you ended it.
It's only formal for me to say , R.I.P.
Emotionally very sound. Overall a great work. Cheers.
- Usero.





We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
— William Shakespeare