z

Young Writers Society


12+

Heart of the Hotel

by Kingofnate


The air was cold, and the desert was dark.

Seldom a living shop or gas station along this endless winding road through the shallow dunes of sand at this ungodly hour of the night.

The headlights of a speeding deep red convertible split the darkness as it’s weary driver followed the highway deeper and deeper into the barren southwest.

Cool and dry.

Cool and dry was the desert wind that ran its fingers through the driver’s hair. With it came the fragrance of a flower, thick in the air that ran from the sand to the sky where the eagles soared.

Far in the distance, a yellow light played against the sand in an alluring way. The traveller decided it was time to finally stop when the sleep in his eyes could no longer be blinked away.

He saw her, standing there, as he approached the enormous homestead, perhaps it once served as the manor to a wealthy family many long decades ago.

In the doorway lingered the most enticing and irresistibly ravishing woman he had ever seen. Perhaps that any man had ever seen. The pure and white dress that clung to her tanned skin flowed the length of her height like a waterfall of silk, caught in the wind at her feet. She was a siren; Her eyes were the song.

“Hello,” he spoke as he walked to the steps and looked up at her. “My name is Don.”

She simply said; “Allow me to show you to your room.”

She lit a candle, and he followed without question or thought. The maze of hallways twisted and turned, every inch flooded with darkness that the wandering candle failed to reveal. The shadows chased one another across the cracked walls that watched the maiden and her guest.

An endlessly dark corridor passed, however, the newest guest could hear the faintest of singing. A weak chorus of voices that drifted from the dark, trying to hear the words but failing to put meaning to their whispers.

“Welcome to this lovely place… Ready room any time of the year.”

Yet the guest spared his doubt and found himself in his room minutes later.

“My name is Colitas.” whispered the white-clad woman. “Enjoy your stay.”

🌕🌗🌑

The Hotel’s new patron slept soundly in a beautiful bed and awoke to a beautiful sky that had been forever blackened by the night. The sun was not here, and never will be.

He found his way to a sandy courtyard where men danced to a sad tune. Colitas stood nearby with her eyes in the fire. She wore a sad smile.

The wine captain called the newest guest to the bar. “Can I get you a refreshment, my friend?”

“Bring me your finest wine, Captain.”

The smile on his face faded and his eyes focuses on nothing in particular. “Wine…” then his smile returned. “I remember this spirit… from many years ago.”

The wine captain recalled the memory for a few seconds more, before he spoke again, “We do not serve this ‘wine’ here, I’m afraid. I’ll bring you a glass of our finest scotch.”

The traveller sighed in agreement, and turned to watch the dancers. Their bodies were sculpted like statues of ancient gods.

“Captain,” The guest said over his shoulder. “Why is it they dance?”

The air was silent for the moment, besides the soft strum of the guitar. “Perhaps it’s for a reason beyond the music.” He wondered as he handed the guest his drink. “Perhaps it’s the only thing they can remember to do… Or perhaps they do it to burn away memories that haunt them.”

The Guest considered this while he sipped his drink. The strength of its taste brought a memory that had been barricaded in his mind by sleep.

He could remember now… He could remember sleeping in his hotel room, as dark as his own heart. From the labyrinth of lightless walls beyond his door, the whispers returned.

“Welcome to this lovely place… plan your excuses, and shift the blame of your sins.”

The guest sipped his scotch. The dinner bell rang, and then the courtyard was empty and the fire was gone. Only Colitas and her patron remained.

“Colitas… I understand now.”

She simply shook her head. “I’m afraid you don’t.”

His head waved around him. To the desert, to the courtyard, to the sky.

To the Hotel. “This place, Colitas. This place is no Hotel, and I’m no guest. This place, it’s a facility, and her guests are in rehab.”

Again, her head shook. “You don’t understand this place. It’s not rehab, and it’s not a hotel either. It’s a prison. It’s the place we put ourselves in, telling ourselves how beautiful it is. Everyone here has believed that once, and they will pile excuses atop one another to continue to believe. Their lies will stop at nothing to maintain the illusion.”

For the first time, the traveller questioned her sanity. Her lonely mind had been contorted beyond logic, undoubtedly. His gaze met the stars, which held paintings of confusion etched against the universe. His own reflection stared back at him from far beyond this world, high above, in the sector of the sky where the stars ended and the deception of his own imagination began.

“You’ve checked in to this hotel, Don. What have you told yourself to truly believe that this place is beautiful?”

The woman vanished behind a door, but her words remained like smoke from a dead fire. So he asked himself, but not only to himself.

“What have you checked yourself into?” and more importantly, he asked, “What’s your alibi?”

The dining chamber was vast and impressive. A feast lined the length of the elegant table, and at it sat the patrons of the beautiful hotel. Empty stares rose to his eyes, waiting for him to be seated.

But every seat was taken, every spot full, besides the ornately carved throne at the head of the table.

The Guest took his seat, where he could see the scene laid out before him. Each of their faces brimmed with an tangible measure of blank regret. What lies have they cursed themselves with? What mistakes to they reject to acknowledge when they come stalking in the night, plaguing their pitiful minds and stealing their sleep?

Why have they checked into the Hotel?

At that moment the chorus of whispers returned.

Not in a chorus, but in a single voice.

And not in a whisper, but in a roar.

The Beast leapt upon the table, with a dark mane like a desert night and red eyes like daggers thirsty for murder. Rows of vicious teeth it unsheathed with a vicious roar that shattered the room.

They stabbed, but it did not die. They cut, but it’s strength did not waver. And all the while, it’s eyes never broke its stare with the newest guest.

He did not stay, and he did not fight. Running, turning, fleeing, dark corridor after dark corridor faded away in black flashed with the beast close behind.

At last, he saw it. The door.

Amber streaks of light spilled in from the dawn sky of the real world. The only exit from this cursed place.

In the door, the Beast was already there, waiting.

“Relax…” It spoke in a growl. “You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
494 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 494

Donate
Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:07 pm
Holysocks wrote a review...



Alrighty. Took a bit of a break from reviewing- sorry for taking so long to get to your piece!

I love abstract pieces, works based on songs/poems, thought provoking stories! So yours is off to a great start I think, because it has a lot of elements that make it very interesting, because the song is very interesting and it has a distinct feel to it.

However, I found myself very confused while reading this, and this isn't just because it's an abstract or bizarre concept- we're not really brought along with the story. It's told so far away from us that we have to use binoculars to see it. I think this will be an easy fix however, if you're willing to put the effort in. Basically why I feel it's very confusing and far away is because A) the MC simply sees, and doesn't really think- what's going on in his head? How does this make him feel? I feel like he's just there to give us a peek into the hotel, but we can't really relate if he doesn't express himself. B) Things happen very quickly. You could have written a whole Novella out of this, believe it or not! There's so much information and so many details to touch upon, and so it made it very confusing not getting enough time to really comprehend what was happening. So my advice: give your character character- let him express himself. And slow down to explain and just let things sink in for us.

Cool and dry was the desert wind that ran its fingers through the driver’s hair.


At the beginning, I was going to say that you needed to paint a better picture for us, when you started out with "the air was cold" ;) But then you wrote this line and I was shocked by the sudden use of imagery that hadn't been exploited previously. Some of your imagery can be a little confusing, and I think it's because you're trying to push it a little too much- let it come. Sometimes you'll have to really work you get great imagery but my advice to you is just let it happen if it's going to happen, and then let the rest just be how it is. Sometimes telling is a brilliant thing, over showing (I know, I'm a horrible person!). There needs to be a balance. Not enough imagery will make the work feel dull and blank, but too much imagery that's being forced into places where it just doesn't want to work, will just make the work confusing. Some of your imagery was really great though, like the above line! ^-^

I think over all this piece followed the theme/feel of the song quite well. It was very subdued, and almost mournful, for sure. The ending was interesting- not exactly what I wanted to happen, but it was interesting.

Anyway, I hope this was somewhat helpful! Keep it up!!!

-Socks



Random avatar
Kingofnate says...


Thanks so much! be sure to shoot me a message anytime you want an extra review on a piece or two!



User avatar
79 Reviews


Points: 627
Reviews: 79

Donate
Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:55 am
CateRose17 wrote a review...



This was a really interesting piece. Though unfortunately, I didn't know as to what work you based this off of. I fell in love with the way you piece together the plot and the imagery and the characters. It felt like I was actually at the hotel. The grammar was pretty much all correct, it had a good flow to it. You can see you confidence in your writing. You were comfortable with this type of writing. The title is spot on. It gives a beginning to the story, but not enough to give everything away for the reader. It's a tease- which every good title should be.

I have nothing bad to say about this piece. It was expertly written and profound. Keep up the good work, my writing friend!



Random avatar
Kingofnate says...


It's Hotel california, by the Eagles! Thanks for the review!



User avatar
277 Reviews


Points: 1335
Reviews: 277

Donate
Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:36 pm
Charm wrote a review...



Hey! I'm here to review your short story :D I hope my review is helpful and sorry in advance if it ends up being short.

"The air was cold, and the desert was dark."
I would love to see you go in more detail because this being the first sentence, it doesn't pull me in to read more. The air was cold like...? the desert was dark creating...?

"Seldom a living shop or gas station along this endless winding road through the shallow dunes of sand at this ungodly hour of the night."
This sentence really confused me. I just think you worded it in a weird way. I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

I also feel like you broke up your paragraphs too often which created a rather awkward flow and look. For example, the sentence above ^^ and the sentence below, didn't need to be put into different paragraphs.

"The headlights of a speeding deep red convertible split the darkness, as it’s weary driver followed the highway deeper and deeper into the barren southwest."
you forgot a comma ^^

"Cool and dry."[/b]
I felt like the repetition was awkward and unnecessary. It just didn't seem right. It felt like you were trying to make it suspenseful when it's not something that is supposed to be suspenseful.

[i]"He saw her, standing there, as he approached the enormous homestead, perhaps it once served as the manor to a wealthy family many long decades ago."

Her felt weird. The manor isn't a car or a ship, and I immediately thought of a person. It was confusing and just weird.

I felt like you need to be more descriptive here:
"In the doorway lingered the most enticing and irresistibly ravishing woman he had ever seen. Perhaps that any man had ever seen. The pure and white dress that clung to her tanned skin flowed the length of her height like a waterfall of silk, caught in the wind at her feet. She was a siren; Her eyes were the song."
If she was the most beautiful woman perhaps any man has ever seen, there should be more to talk about, right?

"Colitas stood nearby with her eyes in the fire."
What do you mean by 'eyes in the fire"? Sounds painful...

The dialogue between the wine captain and the main character felt awkward. I don't really know what to say other than it needs to be more natural.

Finally I felt extremely confused when Colitas was talking about how the hotel isn't a hotel but a prison. And then this monster appeared? I feel like you were trying to make this super deep and meaningful somehow but I was just left confused...

Anyway, I hope this review helped,
Alice



Random avatar
Kingofnate says...


Go listen to hotel california, by the eagles. Maybe it will makemore sense:P



Charm says...


I still think it should made more sense and be more clear. Even if I had listened to the song I'd probably be confused. I believe it's the writer's job to explain everything so that the reader doesn't need let's say a 'prologue'. I'm going to think of the song as a prologue which is a small story before the main story that is there to create excitement and foreshadowing to the climax of the main story. Prologue have to be written in a way that the reader doesn't have to read it. It does not inform the reader of anything that he will not here in the main story itself. That's my problem with this, if this song is the prologue to your story, it is explaining information that is not explained in the main story. Do you see my point? Not every reader reads the prologue which makes it imperative that the main story covers everything important that was said in the prologue. Not doing this adds confusion and weakens the effect of the climax and partially the rest of the story. If I confused you, I'm sorry. Do you have any questions or disagreements?




Gravity was a mistake.
— Till Nowak