12+

The Rogue Ch.1

by KatGirl

ECHO

The moonlit sky was a void of pitch black, except for the crescent that was peeking out of the clouds and the stars that dotted the sky. Wisps of wind blew in the air in a calm, serene way. The Rogue was the opposite.

She banged the goblet on the table, its contents sloshing all over the table, her fang-like teeth drawn in a snarl. "AT WHAT PRICE?" the wolf-like girl growled. "You couldn't imagine," the spy said with complete ease, leaning back in the chair.

The Rogue's midnight cape was billowing in the wind like a flag, showing off it's crescent moon painted on the back. The spy grinned stealthily, and raised three fingers to the sky. "You'd better keep your deal or else-" her threat was blown away in the wind as she realized it was a trap. The Rogue snarled, outraged.

"I will get my revenge-and you won't like it when I do," she threatened under her breath.

The spy's face masked her real emotion-fear of The Rogue. She quickly conjured up a couple of comebacks. "I will be awaiting you, she-wolf. I suggest you turn tail and flee,"

She tilted her head, making full-eye contact with the wolf.

The she-wolf was doing exactly what the spy had expected-shape shifting. If everything happened as planned, her ambush would be able to trap the she-wolf's entire pack. It was turning into a colossal, matted wolf that almost seemed to resemble the sky itself.

She was petrified; she could no longer shroud her inner emotion.

The Rogue leaped onto the table in a single bound, staring at the spy with bared teeth and it's jagged claws flexing. The wolf vaulted onto the spy, knocking over the chair. The spy's breath were coming in shallow gasps as she stared up into the eyes of the rogue.

She reacted as the she-wolf was distracted. She briskly kicked the wolf's underbelly, halting The Rogue's call. The she-wolf snarled, whipping out her claws inches from her face, almost taunting her.

The she-wolf advanced, teeth bared like the ferocious beast she was. Her gaping jaws revealed a set of jagged, bared teeth. The wolf's midnight fur stuck up at the nape of it's neck like a frightened cat.

She whipped out a silver blade just as the she-wolf was about to strike. The wolf withdrew, staring nervously at the silver that was deadly to her kind. The spy thrust it closer, pointing it's tip at The Rogue's neck. The she-wolf whimpered slightly, leaning her head up and glared into the spy's defiant eyes.

The she-wolf had her tail between her legs, her paws were shaking from fear and rage. A cold smile was tugging at the spy's lips as she stared back at the wolf. Howls echoed in the distance, piercing the air like a war call. The sound was eerie and distant, sending shivers over the spy's arms. The wolf made a noise similar to a laugh-but it sounded awfully a lot like a horse dying.

A clan of wolves burst into the clearing, golden gear covering their fur. The spy retreated into the shadows, her confidence dissipating every second. "Come out, Echo!" snarled a vicious wolf. A crimson-colored wolf sauntered into where Echo was hiding, the wolf leered, baring it's teeth in a grinning yet hateful way; if that made any sense.

The valiant wolf looked ready to strike, flexing it's claws in a show-off manner. Echo held the silver blade outward, her hand shaking uncontrollably. "If you dare take a step closer..." she warned. The bold wolf tilted it's head; making full-eye contact.

"You threatened the Alpha. Nobody...nobody will threaten her," the wolf growled, foam dripping down it's muzzle. Where are my warriors? Echo thought desperately. "Aye, Rogue! I've caught her!" the crimson-wolf barked.

Echo tensed in fear, gripping the blade in her hand so tightly that her knuckles turned white. The alpha bounded into the shadows, snarling in delight. Her silver teeth shone like molten silver daggers in the moonlight. Her crescent-painted cape was still wrapped around her neck, dragging behind her as she padded forward.

"It's finally has come to an end. All these years of hiding and chasing.. and now you're the one trapped. Do you know what it feels like-to be trapped for millennia? It's your turn now.." the wolf snarled menacingly. The she-wolf threw her head up to the full-moon, howling an ancient verse Echo had heard before. She could pick out some words like "curse", "exile", and "betrayal". Echo tackled the she-wolf, pinning her to the ground.

"GET HER!" the she-wolf howled with rage. Echo lied the tip of the silver blade to the Rogue's chin.

"Take a step closer, and you'll be leaderless," Echo declared.

The she-wolf growled in protest and anger. "Your so-called warriors have betrayed you. They've been on our side all along," the she-wolf retorted. The spy feigned surprise, her hands flying to her cheeks. Echo grinned like a Chesire cat.

"That doesn't surprise me. It was obvious they weren't loyal-I have back-up, anyway," Echo said coolly. The first part was a lie; but she did have back-up. The she-wolf stayed silent. Clop, clop, clop, a rhythmic noise of hooves interrupted their stare-off. Lumi, thought Echo immediately.

At least my stallion is loyal, Echo thought with a sly smile. She leaped off the wolf and took off in a sprint to the sound of hooves beating across the ground. She saw a silhouette bolting towards her in the distance from the dark, gloomy forests ahead. The wolves were gaining quicker than she thought. Lumi approached Echo and neighed, almost like saying: Where have you been?

Echo leaped onto her chocolate stallion, and bolted into the brooding forests ahead, howls of shame and anger echoing behind her.

Wed May 24, 2017 6:14 am
Aleta wrote a review...

I'll review as I read.

The moonlit sky was a void of pitch black, except for the crescent that was peeking out of the clouds and the stars that dotted the sky. Wisps of wind blew in the air in a calm, serene way. The Rogue was the complete opposite.

See those words in bold? It is always good to use adverbs sparingly. It makes the writing cleaner and much lighter. You can often use a stronger verb or just omit the adverb. As it is your beginning line, you don't want it to become too heavy. My suggestion would be to get rid of one or two of those adjectives/adverbs.

She banged the goblet on the table; it's contents sloshing all over the table, her fang-like teeth drawn in a snarl.

Get rid of the semi-colon and replace it with a comma.

Attack has already pointed out the difference between it's and it is.
It is = It's
Everything else = its.

Is "The Rogue" a sort of title or name? The constant repetition of "The Rogue" is jarring the flow.
For instance -
The spy's face masked her real emotion-fear of the Rogue. The spy quickly conjured up a couple of comebacks. "I will be awaiting you, she-wolf. I suggest you turn tail and flee," the spy retorted, tilting her head, looking directly into the Rogue's eyes. The Rogue was doing exactly what the spy had expected-shape shifting. If everything happened as planned, her ambush would be able to trap the she-wolf's entire pack. The Rogue was turning into a colossal, matted wolf that almost seemed to resemble the sky itself. The spy was petrified; she could no longer shroud her inner emotion.

"The Rogue" has been repeated in this single paragraph four times. That is like saying -
Paul has a big house. Paul has two daughter and Paul is a lawyer. Paul has a dog too.

The same in the case of "the spy". Try finding pronouns for them. Can you refer to Rogue as 'she" or 'it" ? Then use that.

The spy's face masked her real emotion-fear of the Rogue. The spy She quickly conjured up a couple of comebacks. "I will be awaiting you, she-wolf. I suggest you turn tail and flee," the spy she retorted.
Something like that ^

Also, three sentences in the same paragraph start the same way. "The Spy". And other two with "The Rogue".
This points towards weak writing. Try avoiding starting sentences that start the same way more than once or (in unavoidable situations) twice in the same paragraph. You can do that and compare the two and see which sounds better. It will prove my point.

You are shifting from "The Rogue" to "the Rogue" to "the rogue" here and there. Stick with one.

A cold smile was tugging at the spy's lips as she glared back at the wolf.

I find it hard to imagine a smile when someone is glaring.
Try this -
A cold smile was tugging at the spy's lips as she stared back at the wolf.

"If you dare take a step closer.."

An ellipse has three dots. "..."

Clop, clop, clop, a rhythmic noise of hooves interrupted their "staring contest"
Try replacing staring contest with stare off or stare down.

Overall, I am intrigued by your characters. I want to know what is going on. So the purpose of a prologue is met. Well done.
Except for a few grammatical errors, your writing is great. You describe only the necessary without missing out the needed details. I look forward to reading more on this story!

Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:49 pm
artemis15sc wrote a review...

Hey there! First of all I loved the way you started it. You started all nice and pretty and then jumped right into the action, which caught me by surprise and definitely peaked my interest.

I do have a few little grammar nitpicks:

If I understood this correctly, there are two different people speaking in this paragraph, the rogue and the spy. If that's the case remember new dialogue always gets a new paragraph, so the new paragraph should start with, "You couldn't imagine."

The Rogue's midnight cape was billowing in the wind like a flag, showing off it's crescent moon painted on the back. The spy grinned stealthily, and raised three fingers to the sky. "You'd better keep your deal or else-" her threat was blown away in the wind as she realized it was a trap. The rogue snarled, outraged.
Technically, you should start a new paragraph with "The spy grinned stealthily..." However, that leaves the cape sentence all by it's lonesome, which raises a new question. Do you need that first sentence, it's well written, but it doesn't really fit in the story and interrupts the flow of their conversation. I would recommend deleting it, but it's up to you.

The spy's face masked her real emotion-fear of The Rogue. She quickly conjured up a couple of comebacks. "I will be awaiting you, she-wolf. I suggest you turn tail and flee," the spy retorted, tilting her head, looking directly into The Rogue's eyes.
Since we already know the spy is speaking, you can delete, "The spy retorted" and put a period after flee. Then you can start the next sentence "The spy(or she) titled her head back... get's to the point a little faster which amps up the tension.

The she-wolf was doing exactly what the spy had expected-shape shifting. If everything happened as planned, her ambush would be able to trap the she-wolf's entire pack. It was turning into a colossal, matted wolf that almost seemed to resemble the sky itself. She was petrified; she could no longer shroud her inner emotion.
I got a little confused here, mostly because you were talking about two things that were kind of connected, but not really. We know that the spy has a plan, appearently the she-wolf shifting is part of that plan, but it also freaks the spy out? Either find a way to connect these thoughts together better or make them too separate paragraphs. For the first one, it could be something, The she-wolf is doing exactly what she expected, her ambush would destroy her entire pack, but as the she-wolf turned into a matted wolf she got really scared(obviously this is poorly written, and you could rewrite it much better, but maybe it helps you get what I mean?)

"Take a step closer, and you'll be leaderless," Echo declared. The she-wolf growled in protest and anger. "Your so-called warriors have betrayed you. They've been on our side all along," the she-wolf retorted. The spy feigned surprise, her hands flying to her cheeks. Echo grinned like a Chesire cat.

Again, remember new dialogue gets a new paragraph.

overall, this worked really well. We got enough information to know what was happening, but not enough that it bogged down the story. Also, I loved the way you wrote it. Your writing was crisp, clear and vivid, I could imagine everything that was happening, especially the fight scene. And the piece had a really nice feel to it.

Right, that's what I got. let me know if you have any questions and happy writing!

Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:37 am
Markontheworld wrote a review...

Quite interesting, I must admit. I'm glad I read this after you can out with chapters 2 and 3. This way I can just go strait (not sure if that's the write way of writing it for this situation) to reading the next two. I kind of feel like the characters emotions were all over the place in the beggining, though it sort of fits. I wish there was more background information on them as well. Of course it's what's keeping me reading so....yeah I don't know where I was going with that. But it all seriousness I truly do love this story. It caught my attention almost instantaneously, I have a thing for mysteries. Keep calm and write on! =^_^=

KatGirl says...

Yay c:

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:47 pm
KatGirl says...

Ch.2 is done! c:

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:49 pm
manisha wrote a review...

Hi there!
Manisha here to review. I'm reviewing after a really long time!

I'll review as I read.

It is = It's
Everything else = its.

For instance -

Something like that ^

Try this -

"If you dare take a step closer.."

An ellipse has three dots. "..."

I hope I helped!

Manisha

KatGirl says...

Thank you so much!

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:11 am
AttackOfTheFlash wrote a review...

Overall, the story is really interesting! I've never seen a horse riding shape shifter. XD
However, there were some grammar mistakes. "It's" is a contraction of "it is." The possessive form of "it" is "its." When a new character speaks it starts a new paragraph (so two different paragraphs shouldn't have two separate characters speaking.) Also, after dialogue, there should not be a period. For example: "'Take a step closer, and you'll be leaderless.' Echo declared." Should be: "'Take a step closer, and you'll be leaderless," Echo declared." See the comma instead of the period? (Does not apply to interrogative and interjection sentences.)
Besides the grammar, this is a really cool story!

KatGirl says...

In the winter months, snowstorms and rainfall in the Patagonian Ice Fields can drastically affect the landscape. Worsened by heavy winds, such storms can reduce visibility and lead to glacial calving, ice collapses, and avalanches. During these conditions, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian