12+

Camp Enemy Ch.2

by KatGirl

The Girl With the Golden Wings

Ash covered the landscape, withering black roots pushed up from the dirt. Columns were burned and broken, littering the ground. The sky was a charcoal sullen grey, it looked like the place slowly had crippled up in the last couple of centuries. The first thought that came to my mind was Who the heck set this place on fire? I glanced at the cat; thinking that maybe it'd tell me why it brought me here. The cat flicked it's tail at the ruins, almost like it was saying, follow me. Gnarled branches of sooty trees reached towards the cat, brushing it's fur longingly. Mystically, wisps of emerald-green swirled around the branches, returning them to their original brown.

I gazed at the wisps in awe as they repaired the branches-it was obviously the its work. The cat disappeared into a underbrush of foliage. I winced slightly as thorns brushed my legs, unsuccessfully trying to catch up with  it. The cat glanced back at me, flicking its tail impatiently. The cat was perched on a body, forlornly grieving in silent words. I cautiously approached the body, fearful of what I'd find. Laying on the ground under a burnt, collapsed column was a girl with golden wings. Her wings were glistening in the peeking sun, her stunning wings absorbing its radiating rays.

I gasped; admiring the way the sun reflected off her wings and gave off a beam of brilliant light. The girl lay in an awkward position-her leg was twisted under her, and her face was white as a sheet. Leaves littered her brunette hair, soot was streaked across her face. I understood the urgency of the situation, but it was likely the girl had passed on. The cat stared at me with mournful puppy-eyes as it nestled under the girl's neck.

A wave of anxiety and stress washed over me; I abruptly sat down on a pile of leaves. I tucked my head between my legs, breathing slowly and softly, taking in the realization that my life was slowly changing. A tree-hugging cat, a girl with golden wings.. now what?! I was still a nobody though, just a lowly-life criminal. I was a nobody.. that had no one. Tears slipped out of my eyes and rolled down my face. A wet nose touched mine; I was eye-to-eye with the cat. I pet the cat softly with care, it's worried and crestfallen eyes bored into mine. All I had was a odd cat, my family gone.

It was my punishment though, Rage churned in me like a savage, wild animal. "I HATE YOU, COUNCIL OF LIGHT!" I shrieked. The cat mewed softly, craning its ears back, looking at me reluctantly. "I wasn't yelling at you, I promise. You're my only friend." I murmured. They'd taken my family from me. They forced me to watch, and instructed me to be hidden in the crowd, telling them that I never cared. That I'd never show up. I watched my sister die.

Many times I'd vowed to get my revenge. Their name was a lie. They were twisted, cruel people. Yes, I'd stolen a couple relics at the time, but I was young then; and not knowledgeable and cunning enough not to become caught.

A soft wince interrupted my thoughts. One of her wings were crooked, bent at an abnormal angle. "Are you awake?" I asked awkwardly. The girl shifted slightly under the column, opening her azure eyes. "Who are you?" she whispered. I didn't even have an answer to that. Who was I? I ignored her question on purpose, trying to think of a brisk solution of freeing her. Perhaps I could cut off a tree branch with my pocket knife.... but would it be able to fit under such a wide column? I stood up reluctantly, my eyes were begging me to sleep.

I scanned the wide clearing for thick branches. Something in the forest shifted-a quick flash of yellow, hungry eyes. I stood frozen in place; breathing shallowly with fear. No, no, no.... a deadly scratching noise came from the heart of the forest. Shivers ran up my arms. I slowly backed away; my heart thumping in my chest. Everything was silent, except for the eerie wind that sounded like howling. A mundane-looking shadowy form approached from the forest. Adrenaline rushed through me; forcing me to go on. I sprinted in the other direction, hopping over rubble like a madman.

I glanced back; and saw that it was right behind me. I panted, going into a full-on sprint again, wishing I could just stop and rest. My legs were sore to the point I felt like I was about to collapse. The shadowy form was a couple feet from me now. I stopped, and gave up. What was the point anymore? In the blink of an eye,  the shadow was inches from my face. It had hair.. lips.. eyes. I gasped; stumbling back, a silent scream trying to burst out of me.

The world was getting black.. dimming at the edges. The world was in slow motion... I closed my eyes-and passed out.

Wed May 24, 2017 6:52 am
Aleta wrote a review...

'Ello!

Aurora here for a review day review!

Alright, nitpicks first:

Ash covered the landscape, withering black roots pushed up from the ground.
There should be an 'and' in here somewhere; right now, all you have is a comma splice ;).

The sky was a ashy sullen grey, it looked like the place slowly crippled up the last couple centuries.
Two things; comma splice again, and you also use the word 'ash' to describe this place not two sentences before. I'd suggest switching it up a bit.

The first thought that came to my mind was: Who the heck set this place on fire?
No colon, and italicize the thought.

The cat flicked it's tail at the ruins, almost like saying, follow me.
'Almost like it was saying', not almost like saying.

Wisps of emerald-green swirled around the branches, returning them to their original brown.
Put a transition before this sentence to make it read better: 'suddenly', 'mystically', 'slowly', etc. I'm also wondering what she thinks of a cat being able to do this...

In your second paragraph, you overuse the words 'the cat' to describe the cat. It's okay to call it an 'it' once in a while :). Other than that, though, your 2nd paragraph is fine.

Her wings were glistening in the peeking sun, its radiating rays giving me assurance.
You can call the wings a 'they'- after all you state that in the previous sentence.

I pet the cat softly with care, it's worried and crestfallen eyes bore into mine
Hmmm... you switched to present tense...

Many times I'd vowed after that to get my revenge.
No need for the 'after that'.

I watched her die.
I had watched her die :)

In you final paragraph, you can replace 'the shadow' with 'it' after a few times mentioning it.

End of nitpicks.

Great chapter you have here; I confess I haven't read the first, but I find myself wanting to. The pacing was perfect, and the only thing I'd suggest you change is your repetitive sentence structure.

Your description of the place- wherever it is- is amazing I was right there along with your MC the entire time. You build the suspense very well; this would be I book I'd read!

Cheers.

babymagic18 wrote a review...

The first two sentences were a strong well written opening.

When the main characters attention shifts to the cat it would have been nice to add in when they had crossed paths.

"The cat looked back at me impatiently, flicked its tail again." This needs revising. I personally would have worded it, "Looking back at me its tail flicked in impatience."

"The cat looked forlornly at something laying on the ground." This needs revising. Again personally I would have worded it, "Its attention was hooked by an object on the ground."

"Timidly, I approached the cat." Omit this.

"Laying on the ground" Omit. This small bit following previous sentence.

"its radiating rays giving me assurance." I felt this wording was a bit weak. I'd word it, "its radiating rays making my breath catch."

"I was still a nobody though, just a lowly-life criminal." This should be omitted as it doesn't flow with the previous sentence.

"I was a mine." Omit, it doesn't work or make sense.

"I watched her die." Who is "she"?

When the girl awakens it would have been nice to have a description of her voice . Why didn't she immediatly wince in pain?

"chalkboard scratching against sandpaper." This is a bad description. Omit.

Why did the main character not contemplate leaving the girl and staying to fight?

"closed my eyes in luxury." Omit, it doesn't work.

Dracula wrote a review...

Happy September Review Day!!! I love the cover picture you have, not many people choose to do that and it looks great!

Ash covered the landscape, withering black roots pushed up from the ground. Columns were burned and broken, littering the ground.

The first nitpick I have is the little bit of repetition with the word 'ground'. Brainstorm other words you could use. I also noticed that you used repetition a few other times. Read through and check if you've used the same words too often.

...it looked like the place had slowly crippled up in the last couple of centuries.

I understood the urgency of the situation, but it was likely the girl was gone.

Gone where? Perished or dead would be better words to use.

Perhaps I could cut off a tree branch with my pocket knife.... but would it be able to fit under such a wide column? I stood up reluctantly, my eyes were begging me to sleep.

You need to explain what she could cut the branch for.

There you go! Hopefully I helped. You've got a lovely story coming along, so do keep writing. :D

TheCrimsonLady wrote a review...

Hello, darling!

Aurora here for a review day review!

Alright, nitpicks first:

No colon, and italicize the thought.

No need for the 'after that'.

I watched her die.
I had watched her die :)

End of nitpicks.

Keep writing.
~Aurora

KatGirl says...

Yay! Thank you ^_^

Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
— Pablo Picasso