z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Devourer -- Horror Poem

by JellyfishMaxk


Little preface - I wrote a trilogy of horror poems, and this is the first. It was for a writing class, and each of them are different styles of poem. The Devourer is personification! Try and see if you can guess what it's about before the end of the poem!

Calm and pleasant, he lures you in,
He is unassuming, quiet and dark.
The more you get to know him, the safer you feel,
He could never be dangerous, for you are prepared.
You know more about him than anyone else.
But slowly, surely, his anger swells, and you realize he has been tricking you.
He is ravenous, and all consuming.
As he grows impatient, you realize there is nothing you can do to protect yourself.
He is vengeful, and you do not know what you have done to warrant his wrath.
He bites the tips of your fingers, and slowly beings consuming the rest of you.
The more desperate you become, the hungrier he gets.
With every passing minute, you are driven further into his arms,
And finally, Winter devours you.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
968 Reviews


Points: 2
Reviews: 968

Donate
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:12 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



When I first read this poem, I thought that it was about a demon. It is, except that the demon is Winter. Now that I think about it, it makes sense. Winter snow just blankets everything, it feels like all of life is being is devoured. That and the cold gives off disconnected vibes. When the holidays and celebrations are over, what else is left but biting cold?

I wish you a lovely day/night.






OOOO I like the last line of your review, I was actually kind of inspired by the period of time around January and February, yk where there's nothing else to do other than be cold. I hope you have an amazing day/night as well, and thank you so much!





You%u2019re welcome!



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 138
Reviews: 20

Donate
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:09 pm
View Likes
RavenNaal wrote a review...



The personification of Winter was very well handled in this poem! It was a very enjoyable read and really kept interest. Starting off with the thought of luring in and appearing as something that means no harm, then leading to the true face of winter was very smooth and chilling. I liked the comparison of winter being an all consuming entity with a wrathful spirit. At first I thought this poem was a personification of gluttony because of the talk of consuming and ravenous, but I’m delightfully surprised for it to be a personification of winter! The only issue I have is a few of the lines don’t flow as good as the rest do. For instance consuming, to then the rest of you. As well as you have done, then warrant his wrath. I would suggest breaking it up into two lines instead of one long one. Of course take what you find useful and continue writing. It was a really good poem and you did a great job personifying winter!






Thank you for your suggestions and honesty! I'll definitely keep them in mind!



User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 6841
Reviews: 235

Donate
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:40 pm
View Likes
4revgreen wrote a review...



Your poem offers a powerful and evocative portrayal of the gradual and inevitable arrival of winter; the harsh and unforgiving season that consumes everything in its path. The poem is structured around a gradual shift in tone and mood, from a calm and pleasant beginning to a dark and ominous conclusion. As I read it, I thought you were describing some horrible monster and was surprised to read the last line! It was a nice twist and makes a lot of sense.

The use of personification in your poem is very effective in creating a sense of foreboding. Winter is depicted as an unassuming and quiet presence that slowly reveals its true nature as a destructive and insatiable force. The descriptions of Winter as "ravenous" and "all-consuming" give the impression of an unstoppable and overwhelming force that gradually wears down the narrator's resistance. I really love this aspect of the poem as you really brought the concept of Winter alive, albeit in a terrifying way!

The metaphor of Winter as this consuming force is also reflected in the physical imagery of the poem. The biting of the fingers and the gradual consumption of the narrator's body create a sense of physical pain and suffering that mirrors the emotional turmoil of the poem.

Overall, I love this poem! It is a haunting and evocative portrayal of the arrival of winter, and the inevitable and destructive force it brings. It captures the emotional and physical impact of the season, and the powerlessness of those who are caught in its grip.






Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It was quite fun for me to write!



Random avatar

Points: 27
Reviews: 52

Donate
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:38 am
View Likes
Abcdefg1 wrote a review...








Thank you so much for reading!! I quite like your interpretation, and in writing this poem I was hoping to acknowledge/bring awareness to the dangers of winter.




Monster is a relative term. To a canary, a cat is a monster. We're just used to being the cat.
— Henry Wu, "Jurassic World"