Bang

by InfiniteRectangles

She awoke in the middle of the night to the sound of tapping. Frightened, she grabbed a pistol out of her nightstand and went to investigate. She searched the entire house, but couldn't find the source of it. It was a light tapping, like a fingernail softly tapping on a glass pitcher. And no matter where she went, it followed her. With each room she entered, it persisted. Tap. Tap. Tap. A steady, constant rhythm that drove itself deep within the recesses of her mind, until it overwhelmed and drove out every other sound. Tap. Tap. Tap. The noise grew louder inside her mind.

Driven mad by the incessant sound, she did all she could to block it out. She put on a record and turned the volume up as loud as it would go, but the noise only grew with the music. Tap. Tap. Tap. It was too much for her to bear. She found a pair of earplugs and jammed them in her ears, but it was no use. The tapping continued to grow louder. And louder. And louder, until she felt her head would explode.

The sound had evolved from tapping on glass to whacking a desk with a meter stick. Over. And over. And over. Whack. Whack. Whack. She was desperate for relief. She tried to concentrate on something else, but the noise interrupted her thoughts, scattering them before they could even properly form. She yanked out the earplugs and cupped her hands over her ears and felt a pop as her eardrums burst. Blood pooled in her hands, but she felt no pain. Whack. Whack. Whack. The noise was still there. Her throat felt raw and she realized that she'd been screaming. She felt something heavy in her hand and looked down. The pistol. She had neither remembered putting it down nor picking it back up. Terrified and desperate for silence, she held the gun to her head. The noise persisted.

Whack. Whack. Whack.

BANG!

And then silence. Silence at last.

Regretnothing wrote a review...

Well... Oh. I was not expecting that. I was reading and thinking oh it could lead to something and then that. I think you did a good job, but you are right you could add more. I have a question that might seem kind of dumb. Why would she just pick up a gun after hearing a sound? I don't think I would, but I guess curiosity killed the cat haha. Anyways I want more, I really really do. More back ground. I want to know if the sound was real, or maybe just in her head? I need to know. I think you did a good job though, you got me hooked and that's not easy. Keep up the good work. I really hope to see more of this.

*hugs*

Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:43 am
Noelle wrote a review...

Short works are always fun to write. At least I think so. There's so much you can pack into so little words to create a lasting impression. You've definitely got the right pieces to make this successful. You've narrowed down the field so you're only focusing on this one moment, you have a character that's not worth taking the time to name, making us really focus on the surroundings and the narration in order to figure her out. You rationed the words well so we get the story in its most concise form. The story works. And by the end I realized it's a tale worth telling. That's something I always look for by the end of a short story, particularly the ones on the shorter side.

I only have two things I want to mention about this piece. One is more of a personal preference while the other is constructive. I think I'll start with the preference one.

The onomatopoeia gives the story that something extra. Personally I'm not much of a fan for it, but when I read it through the second time I realized the story wouldn't work without it. The sound is being described sure, but seeing the sounds spelled out adds to what we envision it to be. Or sound like. Whatever. Anyway. If the noises were separate from the narration I think they'd have more of an effect on the reader. For example:

It was a light tapping, like a fingernail softly tapping on a glass pitcher. And no matter where she went, it followed her. With each room she entered, it persisted.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

A steady, constant rhythm that drove itself deep within the recesses of her mind, until it overwhelmed and drove out every other sound.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The noise grew louder inside her mind.

When the sounds are mixed into the narration it falls a bit to the wayside. I ended up rolling right over it and almost not recognizing it. It flowed a bit too well. And if you want this to be suspenseful you'll have to focus on those simple things that mean so much.

Feel free to ignore that advice (of course because this is your piece, not mine) since it's basically just my opinion. Okay, onto constructive thing!

I'm really missing the emotions here. There are a lot of emotion words such as: frightened, driven mad, desperate, then terrified and desperate again. As of now your character is a bit flat. We know how she's feeling, but we don't get to see her reactions. I'd love to see her reactions in the beginning, maybe debating whether or not to get up, maybe trying to go back to sleep. Then what about when she's desperate for relief? Does she claw at her ears, scream at the noise, trip over chords as she tries to make sure everything is turned off, sink to the ground crying when the radio doesn't cover up the noise.

In short fiction the emotions are really where it's at. You've already gone through and chosen the few words you want to use. Now build upon them. That's what makes the story come alive. It won't take more than, possibly six extra sentences. So it won't change the length drastically. It's that old show vs. tell topic. Sometimes it helps to really force it during the first draft and then cut back in the next draft. It helps you really get the feel for it.

As I said in the beginning, I enjoy this story. The length works well. If it had been longer you probably would've lost me halfway through. Also with the character not having a name/identity it's nice that we only see this part of her. The ending is great. I love the ambiguous ending. Although you've given us enough clues to know what really happens, there's so much left for us to think about. It keeps me thinking about the story even after I've read it. I love that feeling after I read something.

**Noelle**

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:27 am
seeminglymeaningless wrote a review...

Heya Infinite,

Thanks for requesting a review! Critique sandwich time! Hope you find it tasty ^^

1. What did I like about this piece?
> You conveyed the sense of panic and desperation well in the three paragraphs written and it was an interesting exploration of sound.

> The description of the sound and what she likened it to was nicely written and helped the reader connect to the sounds.

2. What specific points need improvement?
> If you want to extend this piece (not sure if you were limiting yourself to a word count?), you could omit "middle of the night" and describe the hour through inferences. Like "her eyes adjusted to the darkness" etc.

> The pistol out of her nightstand at the sound of a noise is a little extreme. Obviously the pistol is necessary to advance the plot/end the story, but I feel as if resorting to a pistol straight away as soon as she awoke is too much.

> Searching the whole house in one sentence leaves a lot of build-up out. For example:

Tap. In the bathroom. Tap. In the kitchen. Tap. In the garage. The gentle tapping haunted her from room to room.

> "recesses of her mind" - "inside her mind" ... The repetition of "mind" here is a little jarring, perhaps you can think of something else.

> Think of how you can add even more description/feeling/vividness by replacing mundane words or actions. Instead of "drove out", what about "banished"? Instead of noise/sound, what about cacophony?

> "Driven mad" - this is obviously hyperbole here, but could you you heighten or lessen it to make it more impactful?

> Where did she find the earplugs? Was she fumbling in a drawer for them? Were they near some power tools?

> "until she felt her head would explode" ... how so? Like a pressure building up? Like a kettle whistling to boil? Show us, don't tell us!

> Try getting rid of "she" and "the" as sentence starters. You'll find the sentences will be more creative.

> Does she feel any pain at all during this?

3. What are my concluding thoughts?
> I thought this was a solid piece of work. I find it so difficult to write short stories and I want to elaborate, elaborate, elaborate! I liked the variation of sentence structure and length and overall, this was a good short read. It sort of seems too extreme to commit suicide over a sound, so I guess I wasn't given enough of an impression of how overpowering/terrifying/awful the sound was. Chinese water torture can render a person insane - I imagine this is much the same. But Chinese water torture occurs over a very extended period of time, whereas the build-up here was too short to realistically drive someone insane.

Hope this review helped somewhat! Please don't hesitate to request a rereview if you happen to update the piece :)

All the best,
Jai

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:18 am
RubyRed wrote a review...

Wow, gruesome! Keepwriting here. I liked this actually! It was a bit dark... maybe really dark but I liked it... don't ask me why. I'm not sure. Anyway, review time!

The tapping continued to grow louder. And louder. And louder, until she felt her head would explode.

"The tapping continued to grow louder, and louder, and louder, until she felt her head would explode."

The sound had evolved from tapping on glass to whacking a desk with a meter stick. Over. And over. And over.

"The sound had evolved from tapping on glass to whacking a desk with a meter stick over, and over, and over."

And then silence. Silence at last.

I'd change it to: "And then silence--silence at last." I know I just added a dash... but it looks better. Hahaha, anyway, keep writing so I can keep reviewing!

~Keepwriting

Thanks for the review! I added periods instead of commas after those places you mentioned because I was trying to match the rhythm of the tapping, but it might have just made it choppy instead. Whoops xD

RubyRed says...

Haha it's fine I just point out anything that's a grammatical error.

BlueJayWalker10 wrote a review...

Huh. Well, that wasn't dark at all. *Obvious sarcasm is obvious*
So, I saw that you said that this could use some improvement--but I feel that this is just fine as it is.
I myself have had an odd problem like this at night--I hear an incessant beeping. Though I haven't committed suicide over it--you can tell because I'm writing this review, happy, healthy and eating a cinnamon roll--but I will admit, it does terrify me at night. (I'm actually gaining a sense of paranoia.)
If you want to bulk it up, you could try making her find a source of the tapping during a second sweep of the house or show us more attempts at making the tapping stop.
You could also add another sound, a "thump thump thump" that she could realize is her frantic heartbeat.
Other than that? I can't really think of many things to improve this, as it's great the way it is. You don't really have grammatical errors, this isn't the kind of story where you need to describe her surroundings and it would ruin the feeling if you gave our protagonist a name. Good job!

Thank you so much for the review! And I understand how you feel about the beeping. My ears tend to ring quite loudly at night, and the quieter my environment, the louder the ringing gets. That was actually my inspiration for writing this (although I'm certainly not going to commit suicide over it like my protagonist did here.)

I know! It varies between beeping and ringing--I actually have to have music playing at night to drown out the noise, lest I stay awake all night in terror.
I remember one time it actually sounded like dripping--oh jeez, that night was horrifying for me. Reminded me of the horror story "Drip Drip Drop" I heard when I was five.

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown