z

Young Writers Society



Born A Harami

by InfiniteRectangles


**Author's Note: This is a prequel to my other story "The Beggar Boy". This is part of a bigger story that I am planning on continuing so if anything seems missing or unexplained they will be explained in later works (that's the plan, anyway.) Enjoy, and if you can give me some tips on how to improve my writing, I would greatly appreciate it.

It was a blisteringly hot day as the young couple wandered through the desert in search of a doctor. The woman's stomach was bulging underneath her burqa and as she walked, a liquid trailed in the sand behind her. Her water had broken and she was gripping her husband's arm with one white-knuckled hand and holding her stomach with the other. There were a few people milling about in the streets, but no one seemed to notice the couple. “Help us!” the man cried. “Her water just broke. She needs a doctor!”

Desperately, he made his way through the streets, the girl dragging behind him. The people whispered among themselves, snickering as they stole glances at them. “I don't see rings!” “They're not married!” “That child is a harami!” “And they're Hazaras!”

The woman gasped for breath and told the man she needed to stop. “I can't,” she breathed. “The baby is coming!”

Panicked, the man led the woman to an abandoned bench and sat her down gently. He lifted her burqa just enough to get his hands underneath. “Take a few deep breaths and then push, okay?”

The woman nodded as she took in shaky, slow breaths through clenched teeth. She did this a few times and then began to push. A wave of fresh agony poured over her as her body contracted, causing her to scream in pain. The man, poised between the woman's legs, began saying words of encouragement in a simultaneously calm and excited voice. “I see it's head!” he told her as she continued to push. “Come on, you can do this! Keep pushing!”

The woman's contractions continued and her screams faded to moans and, at last, the baby was born. Her body was drenched in sweat and her dark hair clung to her face as she breathed more easily now. She lifted her head just enough to see the man holding the crying baby in his arms. “It's a boy,” he whispered, a tear rolling down his cheek.

He took off his tattered, sweaty shirt and wrapped the baby in it. “What should we name him, Delara?

“Akhtar Sharif,” she replied, her voice cracking. “It was my father's name, and he was an honorable man.”

The man sat next to Delara on the bench and held the baby out to her. Delara took the baby in her arms and began to weep. “Sahib, is this a disgraceful thing we have done? Will Allah forgive us for our sin?”

Sahib leaned in and kissed Delara on the cheek, his scruffy beard scratching at her skin. “Look at our beautiful baby. He is Allah's gift to us. His forgiveness is in this boy's eyes.”

Delara looked down at Sharif's innocent milk chocolate colored eyes and as she smiled, she began sobbing again. “Yes,” she agreed. “Allah has been kind to us, even after we have sinned.”

“We will take good care of Sharif,” Sahib assured her. “I will find a job and a place for us to live and we will raise him right.”

Just then a Hazara woman approached them. She was wearing a burqa (as the law required of all women in public), but from the cane in her hand and the severe slouch in her spine, it was clear that she was elderly. Delara instinctively held Sharif closer to her chest as she looked up at the old woman. “What are you two doing out here with a baby in this heat?” the woman asked, her voice cracking with nearly every syllable.

“He was just born, and we have nowhere to take him,” Sahib explained.

The elderly woman replied, “there is an orphanage not far from here. They can care for your child until you come back for him. I know it isn't ideal, but sometimes it is necessary.”

Sahib and Delara both looked at the woman in disbelief.

“We can't take our son to an orphanage!” Delara cried. “Sharif deserves better than that!”

The woman took on a sympathetic tone as she said, “Indeed he does. But look where you are. He deserves better than this as well. At least at the orphanage he will have a place to sleep and food to eat. And you can come back for him any time you'd like.”

Sahib was the one to speak next. Tears welled up in his eyes as he looked down at Sharif. “Perhaps it is best,” he admitted.

“No! How could you agree with her?” Delara wailed. “He's our precious baby! Our only son!”

The woman sat next to Delara and took her hand. “There is no shame in this, you know. Lots of mothers do it. Sometimes there is just no other option.” She waited a moment before repeating, softer this time, “there is no shame.”

***

Delara protested the whole way to the orphanage. Sahib had decided to place Sharif in better hands, despite Delara's desperate pleas. The elderly woman led the way while Sahib and Delara trailed sulkily behind. Delara was still in an extraordinary amount of pain from giving birth, but she seemed numb to it as she clung tightly to Sharif, who was sleeping in her arms. She felt her panic rise as they neared the place where she would leave her son.

The building was not much bigger than a kolba, and there were children running around barefoot in torn, dirty clothes and the lawn was littered with cracks, holes, and cigarette butts. Delara stopped dead in her tracks. “We can't send Sharif here!” she cried, dread causing her voice to rise. “Look at how filthy they are!”

“But look how well fed they are, as well,” Sahib assured her. “We can't give him that right now.”

Before Delara could say anything, a man came outside and greeted them. “Salaam. I am Ali. I run the orphanage.”

Ali was also quite old by the looks of his cracked skin and gray beard. He wore a gray turban on his head and his clothes were worn, just like the childrens'. “Come with me,” he said. “I will show you around.”

As they entered the orphanage, they were greeted by a frenzy of hyper, excited children. As they made their way through, they noticed that most of the children were Hazaras, like them. Such a shame, Sahib thought, then quickly pushed the thought away.

The interior of the building didn't look much better than the exterior. Bunks were lined against nearly every wall and at each of them was a single pillow and a worn blanket. At the end of each row of beds was a row of cribs. Dust and grime coated the walls and the kitchen was a mess of pots and dishes. Ali explained that the orphanage didn't get much funding, so they had to prioritize. The children got plenty to eat, but as a result, they didn't get new clothes very often. As they followed Ali into his office, Sahib and Delara noticed that the old woman had disappeared. Once they got into his office and sat in the chairs facing his desk, Sahib asked, “where did the woman go?”

Ali raised an eyebrow and cocked his head slightly in confusion. “What woman?”

“The woman who led us here,” Delara explained. “She was very old, and had a cane.”

Ali chuckled. “When I saw you outside, it was just you two.”

“She told us to come here. She said you would take care of Sharif.”

“I never saw a woman,” Ali insisted. “Maybe it was a sign from Allah.”

Delara and Sahib were bewildered. They were so shocked they couldn't find any words to say.

“Anyway,” Ali continued. “So, you want me to look after your son for you, correct?”

Sahib nodded, still not able to speak.

“And his name is Sharif, right?”

Sahib nodded again.

“Okay, well I will provide the best care available for him and you can come visit him any time you'd like. I've gotten newborns before so don't worry about me not being able to provide for him.”

Tears welled up in Delara's eyes, but didn't start to flow until right after she handed over Sharif. Then, the tears came and wouldn't stop. They flowed as they left the orphanage and their son behind. They flowed as they made their way back to town to find a place to sleep. They flowed when they found a cheap inn to stay the night. They flowed as she laid her head down to sleep, and when she awoke the next morning, her pillow was still wet with tears. She turned to face Sahib and saw that he, too had awoken to a pillow drenched in sorrow.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:41 pm
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there! Noelle here to review finally as requested.

I did read The Beggar Boy first so I would understand the ultimate story.

I'm afraid that some of what I want to say can't be said because this is only part of a larger story. I guess I'll mention them anyway just in case. I'll put them back in the spoiler so it doesn't take over the entire review.

Spoiler! :
I don't see the reason to tell this part of the story. Or at least in this much detail. Why is it that we should care so much about Sharif's parents? Reading through The Beggar Boy I found it worked that we didn't know who this beggar boy was. But now that we know his parents and that he was "abandoned" after birth, it makes sense. There's not much mystery about this boy anymore.


There's a lot of information we're given in this piece, which I will get to later on, but there's barely any setting. At the beginning it's said that they're in a desert, but no other details are given. I was imagining a plain desert with nothing around. Then there were suddenly people and streets. Slow down the story line just a bit to describe the setting. As of now, reading through this I imagined them walking through a literal desert, no buildings, no people, no anything. Obviously that's not it. However I have nothing to convince me otherwise.

The other reviewers have mentioned the birth scene already and I'm going to elaborate a bit. It's not immediately important that you give us every detail of the birth and what happened afterwards. A break in the story though would be nice. Delara wouldn't be able to just get right up after having the baby and walk to an orphanage. She'd have to rest and get her bearings about her. I can understand the want to move the story along. Starting before the birth set you up to take a while to reach the orphanage. My suggestion is to either cut out that scene all together or start a time after she gave birth. That would eliminate a lot of time from the story line and save you the decision of what details of the birth to include.

While your development of Delara and Sahib is good, it could be even better. I understand their relationship and the pain they feel in sending their son to an orphanage. What doesn't make as much sense to me is why they had to do that. Sahib does mention that they have nowhere to take the boy, but I want to know why. It's mentioned at the end that they went into town to find somewhere to sleep. I want to see that part of their life explored more. There's not much indication that they are poor or out of town or homeless. It'll also add to the emotion that Delara feels having to give up her son.

I'd love to see the larger story all together. Reviewing this as a prologue to The Beggar Boy I'm not impressed. I don't think it's effective at all. We learn all about how Sharif became a beggar boy and why he has no parents looking after him.

This piece and The Beggar Boy are both very well written. I just don't see them working together well as a larger piece.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 6670
Reviews: 60

Donate
Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:09 pm
Meerkat wrote a review...



Hello, InfiniteRectangles!

This was a good story, and improved from The Beggar Boy. You mentioned there would be more to this tale, and I am eager to see where it is headed.

I'd like to start off with just a few logistical things I noticed, mainly concerning medical aspects of Delara's labor. While it may be possible, it is highly unlikely that a pregnant woman could walk through "blisteringly hot" desert sands while wearing a heavy burqa, as well as being on the verge of giving birth. Labor typically lasts five hours or so, but can reach up to ten or twelve in some cases, and even longer in others. It's probable that Delara would be physically unable to continue traveling, but, like I said, not impossible. I believe hyperview mentioned also that the umbilical cord was never cut. As one more note, a woman's water usually breaks before labor begins, and it may take a while (hours, generally) until the baby is actually born. However, your story is not necessarily inaccurate, as Delara may simply have had an unusual pregnancy experience.

Some nitpicky grammar and general stuff:
-You mention Delara's water breaking in the exposition, but later Sahib says it in dialogue. Maybe remove the expositional part to reduce repetition.
-You say that "no one seemed to notice the couple," but in the following paragraph it says "The people whispered among themselves, snickering as they stole glances at them," so obviously they took note of the two characters.
-The phrase "saying words of encouragement in a simultaneously calm and excited voice," seems a bit odd and contradictory.
-"I can see it's head!" The "it's" does not need an apostrophe.
-"Look at our beautiful baby. He is Allah's gift to us. His forgiveness is in this boy's eyes." No criticism here, I just really liked this phrase. It felt emotional and sweet.
-"milk chocolate colored eyes" feels like a strange description, but this may just be opinion.
-I wondered why Sahib and Delara gave up their child. The couple's baby was "Allah's gift," and Sahib promised that he would "find a job and a place for us to live and we will raise him right." Even though it would be difficult, they both seemed quite willing to raise Sharif themselves.
-"hyper, excited children" is a redundancy.
-This is not an edit, but is the old woman superhuman in some way? An angel sent from Allah? I hope to find out in continuing stories.
-I liked the final paragraph, but is there a way to shorten the repetition of "they flowed?" I know this was likely an stylistic choice, but it does feel repetitive. The final phrase, "awoken to a pillow drenched in sorrow," was great, but would have more impact if you removed "pillow still wet with tears," as written in an earlier sentence.

Plot Points: (if you address these in later stories, feel free to ignore this)
-Why is Sharif in "The Beggar Boy" out on the street instead of in the orphanage?
-Did his parents never return for him? If not, why?

Last thing: "Sahib" is an Arabic term of courteous address, like "mister." Is Sahib meant to be the man's actual name, or just his title?

Please don't take these criticisms to mean that the story was not good. It was written very well, so nitpicks are all I had to work with! I enjoyed "Born A Harami" very much; you captured the setting, tone, and character emotions really well. I am interested to see where Sharif's story leads, and what more is in store for his tale.

I hope you found this review at least somewhat helpful, and eagerly await the continuation of this story. Have a great day, and thank you for writing!






Thank you for your feedback! A note about the logistical errors of the birth scene: I don't know much about pregnancy and I was trying to move the story along. I didn't want to spend too much time on it trying to explain everything. I will probably add in the part about the umbilical cord though, and maybe add that they had canteens of water or something for hydration. Just something to make the story a little more realistic. Also the Sahib name: She calls him Sahib because they aren't married and it also has relevance to something you'll find out later if you keep reading, but it isn't his actual name. That has yet to be revealed.



Meerkat says...


That makes sense. Anyway, great story!



User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 2775
Reviews: 41

Donate
Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:13 pm
hyperview wrote a review...



Hello again, Infinite!

Wow, this prequel was considerably better than the Beggar Boy. Not saying that the last was bad, because they're both well written, but I can see here that you've started showing things instead of telling and it made the story much more rich. Great job on that! I'm so happy I finally know what happened to Sharif and why he was abandoned. I don't blame his parents at all for leaving him--if I were in their shoes, I probably would've done the same thing. It's must be a heartbreaking thing to leave a child behind, especially a fresh newborn, and I think you grasped this feeling perfectly throughout, especially in the last paragraph.

This gets me thinking if his parents are still looking for Sharif now that he's a little older (I'm referring to the Beggar Boy here), and but they can't find him since he's off the streets and out of the orphanage. Oh man, now I'm really excited for this. :D

I only have one criticisms for this, but it's very minor, really. The first would be the childbirth scene. I'm not sure if you did this purposefully or if you forgot, but why didn't they cut the umbilical cord? Did they walk all the way to the orphanage with it just there? :P Now you might already know this but skipped it for the story's sake, but I think it'd be a good idea to mention the cutting and cleaning the baby before handing him to Delara.

Other than that, I think you did a wonderful job with this! I look forward to the next chapter. I hope you have a great day/night, and happy new year!






Thank you for your feedback! I left out some things in the birth scene because I didn't want to spend too much time on it and make it drag. But, I am still new to prose writing so I'm still working out which details need to be added and which don't. Thank you for pointing that out, though. I will either fix it in this story or explain what happened in another.



User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 3092
Reviews: 110

Donate
Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:07 am
TahaT11n wrote a review...



Here's a review for you, Infinite, but this is finite.

I am so glad to read this story. Very impressed. The Islamic cultures were well expressed. I know, it's difficult to write a story on a different religion's culture. But, dude, you nailed it.

The story is well written as well. I didn't find anything "not-so-good" or "not-working" in it. It was well balanced- the points of emotions, actions, characters. As the first chapter of any novel, it's a good starting.

The ending was good,too. It was really heart touching.

I like this sort of story, really, I do. So, I am hoping to read the other chapters soon. There is nothing that I will criticize. I find your writing cool and good. So, keep it up.

( I know I am not a good reviewer. This is all I have to say)





I don't care what the miserable excuse is for showing the death of books, live, on screen. Men, I could understand; but books! -
— Edwin Morgan, From the Video Box 2