z

Young Writers Society


18+ Mature Content

Blurb for my novel

by Ikrantsyip


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

Blurb

In a land not far away, in a time that wasn’t quite that long ago, there was a knight, a lady in waiting and a milk maid.

The knight was a well-known chivalrous, brave warrior, with a heart that longed for the companionship of another person.

The lady in waiting was that companion imagined by the knight, but who – unfortunately – had loved him in the past as well, and no longer saw him in the same light.

And then, there was the milk-maid.

but that's another story altogether.

Surrounded by danger, involved in plots to overthrow the king and assassinate his family, with almost no hope for survival in an oncoming war, one young woman looks for love in a world that has only ever shown her hate.

This is a fiction story based off of true events about a young woman, an older young man, her love for him, his love for another, bad decisions, worse reults and an impossible unrequited love doomed to fail.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 154
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:33 am
Ducklinstories wrote a review...



hey hey, Ducklin here for a review! Let's get started, shall we?

"In a land not far away, in a time that wasn’t quite that long ago, there was a knight, a lady in waiting and a milk maid."

I'm gonna be honest here if this Is the first line of a blurb for a book I pick up I think it would be a children's book or a bedtime story to try to make it more intriguing.

"The knight was a well-known chivalrous, brave warrior, with a heart that longed for the companionship of another person.

The lady in waiting was that companion imagined by the knight, but who – unfortunately – had loved him in the past as well, and no longer saw him in the same light."

This part does grab my attention it's a good description for both characters and makes you want to find out what their past love life was or what they have together.

Overall this is a pretty good book blurb so well done! That's all for this review.

Keep safe and keep on writing,
Greetings
-D.




User avatar
4102 Reviews


Points: 254163
Reviews: 4102

Donate
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:58 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

First Impression: Okay...well, as far as blurbs go, this is definitely one that would get my attention right away and it doesn't look like there's too much off with it save for a couple of tiny nitpicks I had but uhh...more details on all that down below.

Anyway let's get right to it,

In a land not far away, in a time that wasn’t quite that long ago, there was a knight, a lady in waiting and a milk maid.


Okay...that kind of sounds more like the beginning to a terrible joke rather than the start of a blurb, but well..at any rate, it is quite intriguing to try and figure out exactly what people of those three professions would ever have to do with each other soo...that's a pretty eye catching detail there.

The knight was a well-known chivalrous, brave warrior, with a heart that longed for the companionship of another person.

The lady in waiting was that companion imagined by the knight, but who – unfortunately – had loved him in the past as well, and no longer saw him in the same light.


Hmm, well those two appear to be your relative standard knight and lady with perhaps a more complicated romantic history than you'd expect to find in most stories, but at any rate, those two appear to be pretty normal so far, I have a feeling the place where the maid factors in is where this story starts to get a bit more intriguing here.

And then, there was the milk-maid.

but that's another story altogether.


Ah yes...that definitely has to mean the milk maid is somehow the one that manages to make things very interesting in this story...the fact there isn't a description for that one which can be summed up inside just this blurb....well, that definitely would manage to get my attention.

Surrounded by danger, involved in plots to overthrow the king and assassinate his family, with almost no hope for survival in an oncoming war, one young woman looks for love in a world that has only ever shown her hate.


Oh wow, that went from 0 to a 100 very, very quickly there, oh dear...wow, well after seeing that one on the back of a book, I would definitely pick that one up there...wow, that certainly sounds like a lot is happening there, especially with assassinations along with love stories.

This is a fiction story based off of true events about a young woman, an older young man, her love for him, his love for another, bad decisions, worse reults and an impossible unrequited love doomed to fail.


Hmm, not sure if specifying the fiction based off of true events is exactly a good idea to squeeze in there, but that tiny summary of what this plot is going to be about certainly is pretty neatly done there. :D

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall, this is a pretty solid looking blurb here...I'd definitely love to read this story. Anyway that's about all I've gotta say here for now. :D

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
175 Reviews


Points: 15167
Reviews: 175

Donate
Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:15 pm
Harker wrote a review...



Hey there, Ikrantsyip!

First off, this sounds quite exciting. You should definitely post the chapters on here. Lots of YWSers add them in installments as they write--you'll find we're an excellent community of beta readers.

I think this is a quite interesting blurb. There's the misplaced comma here or there, but overall it's intriguing. I'd love to hear more about it--which is your intended reaction, of course. The plot arc is also nice, as it follows both the personal lives and the larger plot of the story at once and equally--often, personal conflict is put off to the side as a subplot, which I find extremely off-putting. When the main character isn't fighting for his/her life, what is he/she thinking about?

Anyhow, I quickly want to mention one thing to stay away from: these blatant mentions of personality traits, for example, "the knight was a well-known chivalrous, brave warrior". This may be true, but leave that to your readers. Stating this outright is almost like a challenge--like, 'I may or may not be lying, just read it and tell me if I am'. Some of this plot, I must say, seems a bit cliched, but I haven't read the actual story, and I'm assuming (hoping) you present it in a novel manner, one that I would enjoy reading. I'm sure you will, as you seem a gifted writer. When this comes out, please PM me. I'd be glad to take a look.

I think you'll find YWS just the kind of community you need right now. We're more than happy to assist you in these kinds of long-term endeavors, and many of us are engaged in them ourselves.

Keep writing and don't forget to be awesome,
IronSpark




User avatar
214 Reviews


Points: 14468
Reviews: 214

Donate
Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:18 pm
artybirdy wrote a review...



I’ve never been a fan of Historical Fiction because the abundance of descriptions in those books bore me. However, your blurb pulled me in. It’s simple and, yet, has captured my interest. Though it sounds like any other classical book, it’s still original because you have added your own twist to it, e.g. in that quirky opening sentence. I like that you chose three contrasting characters in terms of their statuses, and it seems as if I’d really like your story. Let me know when you post the first chapter.




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 418
Reviews: 5

Donate
Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:36 pm
eppotts says...



This sounds really good! Sounds sort of Princess Bride-ish to me which is so cool




User avatar


Points: 508
Reviews: 4

Donate
Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 am
SabrinaO wrote a review...



Hello!

I find it rather difficult to review just the blurb from your novel but I'm going to try anyway.
I adore fiction writing so your story instantly caught my intention just by the first sentence.
"In a land not far away, in a time that wasn’t quite that long ago, there was a knight, a lady in waiting and a milk maid."
It has the classic beginning but with a bit of a twist.
You also successfully introduced your characters. You kept them simple yet interesting which made me want to read more.
You also gave us a bit of the plot. There's a hint of adventure mixed in with love combined with a true story! I can't wait you start to the post the story.

Keep writing!
-Sabrina





The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices; to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicions can destroy. A thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own.
— Rod Serling, Twilight Zone