Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Literature

Rain After a Drought

by Ichthys

Rain pattered on the roof of the house with a soft lullaby, and sloshed in the gutters like a flood. It hit the window panes with harsh noise. After impact, each minuscule droplet of water slid slowly down, some fusing with others and others dividing into multiples of themselves. Outdoors the downpour called into existence puddles and miniature oceans into which an occasional bug crawled and was never seen again alive. On the lake ripples spread as the water was replenished from a long drought.

Plants let out a collective sigh as they tasted their first drink in months, and they mourned their dead, the withered stalks still standing among their flock. Raindrops fell onto leaves, and slid this way and that, until they overweighed their hosts and plummeted to the ground. Caught on a spider web, glistening jewels clearly outlined the elegant and hazardous net. Suddenly, all movement ceased, and a cool silence fell over the scene. Aside from the occasional drop of water off a leaf or gutter, the world remained in that state until morn. 

PaigeFantasy says...

I just love the description of rain!

PaigeFantasy says...

I just love the description of rain!

hannah0528 wrote a review...

Hello Ichthys! @hannah0528 here for a review. Nice to see you active! Hope it is helpful.

Grows:
none! this was really really great.
Glows:
Oh wow! You have created a lyrical, poetic masterpiece! You are really good at description and getting in the details. My favorite live was this one:

]quote]Caught on a spider web, glistening jewels clearly outlined the elegant and hazardous net. [/quote]
I also really liked these two:

[/quote]Raindrops fell onto leaves, and slid this way and that, until they overweighed their hosts and plummeted to the ground. and this one: After impact, each minuscule droplet of water slid slowly down, some fusing with others and others dividing into multiples of themselves. [quote] I hope this review was helpful! Keep writing and have a great day! I hope to hear more from you.

hannah0528 says...

messed up on both of the quotes- whoops

NivedaJames22 wrote a review...

Hey!

I found the way you describe rain breathtakingly beautiful. Using nothing but words, you have painted a vivid picture. I really like how you use imagery to your benefit.

I especially loved this line:

Caught on a spider web, glistening jewels clearly outlined the elegant and hazardous net.

I liked how to describe water droplets as "glistening jewels".

Is this a part of something? I ask because you've marked it as novel/chapter.

Can't wait to read the rest.

Keep writing.

Ichthys says...

Thank you! I do plan to write a few more of these as I have the time.

Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.
— Joseph Campbell