z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Rain After a Drought

by Ichthys


Rain pattered on the roof of the house with a soft lullaby, and sloshed in the gutters like a flood. It hit the window panes with harsh noise. After impact, each minuscule droplet of water slid slowly down, some fusing with others and others dividing into multiples of themselves. Outdoors the downpour called into existence puddles and miniature oceans into which an occasional bug crawled and was never seen again alive. On the lake ripples spread as the water was replenished from a long drought.

Plants let out a collective sigh as they tasted their first drink in months, and they mourned their dead, the withered stalks still standing among their flock. Raindrops fell onto leaves, and slid this way and that, until they overweighed their hosts and plummeted to the ground. Caught on a spider web, glistening jewels clearly outlined the elegant and hazardous net. Suddenly, all movement ceased, and a cool silence fell over the scene. Aside from the occasional drop of water off a leaf or gutter, the world remained in that state until morn. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:04 am
Snoink wrote a review...



HI.

You told me to read this in order, and so I shall start at the beginning!

Rain pattered on the roof of the house with a soft lullaby,


I almost want to say "like a soft lullaby" because the pitter patter of rain is like its own music, whereas the word "with a soft lullaby" seems to indicate that it carries an additional source of music.

It hit the window panes with harsh noise.


I don't like the words "harsh noise." It doesn't seem to match the lyrical prose that you've set up so far! Maybe you can have some fun and use some other words -- maybe something made up? -- to help convey something stronger?

On the lake ripples spread as the water was replenished from a long drought.


This might just be me being overly Californian, but when lakes get replenished in California after a long drought... which is like always because we're talking about California... when the lakes do get replenished, it looks pretty cool. The lakes, for example, have these colored striations from previous water lines, which give it a certain striped appearance. And the dirt sucks in the water. Anyway, there are a bunch of cool things that happen, and I feel as if you could probably add something like this in the lyrical voice you're going for!

Caught on a spider web, glistening jewels clearly outlined the elegant and hazardous net.


YES. SPIDERWEBS!!!

Though, I admit that I am a bit sad that you didn't describe the spider, lol...

Suddenly, all movement ceased, and a cool silence fell over the scene.


I think this is the stronger ending than the current ending! :) I would delete the last sentence...

Anyway, hopefully that was helpful??? *scampers off*




User avatar
51 Reviews


Points: 222
Reviews: 51

Donate
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:02 pm
fantasies says...



I just love the description of rain!




User avatar
51 Reviews


Points: 222
Reviews: 51

Donate
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:02 pm
fantasies says...



I just love the description of rain!




User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 2211
Reviews: 93

Donate
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:59 pm
starbean wrote a review...



Hello Ichthys! @hannah0528 here for a review. Nice to see you active! Hope it is helpful.

Grows:
none! this was really really great.
Glows:
Oh wow! You have created a lyrical, poetic masterpiece! You are really good at description and getting in the details. My favorite live was this one:

]quote]Caught on a spider web, glistening jewels clearly outlined the elegant and hazardous net. [/quote]
I also really liked these two:

[/quote]Raindrops fell onto leaves, and slid this way and that, until they overweighed their hosts and plummeted to the ground. and this one: After impact, each minuscule droplet of water slid slowly down, some fusing with others and others dividing into multiples of themselves. [quote] I hope this review was helpful! Keep writing and have a great day! I hope to hear more from you.




starbean says...


messed up on both of the quotes- whoops



User avatar
78 Reviews


Points: 40
Reviews: 78

Donate
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:15 pm
NivedaJames22 wrote a review...



Hey!

I found the way you describe rain breathtakingly beautiful. Using nothing but words, you have painted a vivid picture. I really like how you use imagery to your benefit.

I especially loved this line:

Caught on a spider web, glistening jewels clearly outlined the elegant and hazardous net.

I liked how to describe water droplets as "glistening jewels".

Is this a part of something? I ask because you've marked it as novel/chapter.

Can't wait to read the rest.

Keep writing.




Ichthys says...


Thank you! I do plan to write a few more of these as I have the time.




The strongest people are not those who show their true strength in front of us but those who win battles we know nothing about.
— Unknown