z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Girl in the Yellow Dress

by Ichthys


From the diminutive house, came an elfin girl in a bright daffodil dress; out the red door she slipped quietly to tip-toe down the steps. In her right hand she held a white woven basket, in her left bread and cheese, and she balanced on her head a blushing peach. Her hair was dark oak heartwood, and her eyes warm coconut shell. As she dawdled down the footpath around her home and leading into town, she twirled about leisurely to view the surrounding countryside, then closed her eyes to focus on the sounds of her favourite setting.

Elizabeth pirouetted off the dirt path and right into a tree. Startled, she opened her eyes. The first thing which she noticed was her downy peach on the ground at her feet, and she frowned. She knew this path almost as well as her own home, and normally had a sense of balance better than a prima ballerina.

Elizabeth scanned the area. A bubbly brook was flowing to her right and a lightning-struck fallen tree was to her left. Not a creature was visible in the plump forest and the wind just whispered through the leaves. As she pulled away from the tree she had swept into, her hair caught in the bark so that she struggled to loose it. Finally freeing herself, she attempted to sit before feeling a sharp frisson of nausea. Her sight became overcast and unsteady, appearing in waves, before finally the sun exited her vision and even the air fell silent.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 20
Reviews: 5

Donate
Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:43 pm
theshcr20 wrote a review...



Hello!

I first wanted to say that I noticed from the comments that you are 14? If yes, than I am even more impressed.

Okay, let's dig in.

I want to start by saying that I really love your writing style and I would like to see you write more. There is something about the way you write that feels...mature. And, of course, really captivatiing.

"From the diminutive house, came an elfin girl in a bright daffodil dress..." These opening lines perfectly set the stage for something enchanting and mysterious and I knew straight away I am going to like this.
Your vivid descriptions and might I say, unique, storytelling grasped and drew me in.

My only slight little complaint is that I wanted more!:) The story left me with many questions about how the story might continue (and I hope you do), and I'm dying to know what happens next. I hope you continue Elizabeth's adventure or expands on this magical world.

good job!




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:25 am
Snoink wrote a review...



Hello to my favorite 14-year-old!!!

Okay, so I was silly and I thought that when you said "elfin girl" you meant "elf" especially when you mentioned the diminutive house. And especially when you called it a daffodil dress, since I thought that this little elf was literally wearing a dress made out of daffodils. After all, you are writing a fantasy of sorts! So, I would probably adjust my language to make it clear that this is a little girl who has a little house and has a bright yellow dress.

Or! If you would prefer to use your florid description, I would probably add other descriptions to indicate that she is indeed a human and not an elf. (I think from our conversation you said that she was a little girl, right??? Though, I forget how old you said she was... about 6-7, maybe?) For instance, maybe you can add to the description of the dress and talk about the weave of the fabric or something so that she seems less fairy-like. Maybe she can be holding some sort of toy as well and getting ready to get in some sort of mischief as 6-7 year old children are wont to do. (Not that elves can't get into mischief... in fact, they probably get into quite a bit of mischief, I would imagine1)

(Also, can a 7-year-old actually balance hold those things with both hands, PLUS balance a peach on their head?? My 7-year-old wouldn't... maybe you can see if a certain 8-year-old kid you know can do it. It would be an interesting test, in any case!)

Elizabeth ran right into a tree.


Since this little girl is named Elizabeth, I would probably introduce her name a little earlier! I would also probably say that she twirled into the tree, just to have some sort of sense of continuity.

This was not her mother’s garden.


It seems odd that she goes from her mother's garden to someplace else that she doesn't recognize. When I first read this line, I thought that perhaps she twirled herself into another world, or something like that, and you were introducing a brand new world! Especially since you have kind of ominous description of the not-mother's-garden later, such as the lightning-struck fallen tree and the dropped peach, plus the fact that no creature seems to be in this lush woods and the wind whispers through the leaves. In fact, if you want to adjust your story (I am not sure of where this story is going yet?) I would probably think of heading into the direction, just because it might be a fun direction to take it in! :)

ANYWAY. Just some thoughts for you from one of your top three favorite aunts, haha. Love ya!




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 75
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:10 am
Aurora49 wrote a review...



Hey! Awesome job on this story. Is it a short story or are you planning on writing more? If so please let me know when you do!

Anyways, the lines 'Her hair was dark oak heartwood, and her eyes warm coconut shell.' is a beautiful way of describing your character, Elizabeth. I love how mysterious this story is, it defiantly catches the readers attention and gets them thinking a bit more than they thought they would have to:) It's very poetic and well thought out so awesome job!!
The way you describe her essentially getting knocked out is very creative, most of the time people would just say something like 'her world went black' or literally saying 'she fell unconscious'. But you made it different, you made it unique and special!

Although, it is slightly confusing due to the lines, 'She opened her eyes. This was not her mother’s garden.' If this is the mysterious kind of vibe you're going for then I totally get it! But it's a bit confusing there.

Great job! I really enjoyed it!

Aurora49




User avatar
4131 Reviews


Points: 261340
Reviews: 4131

Donate
Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:52 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

Anyway let's get right to it,

From the diminutive house, came an elfin girl in a bright daffodil dress; out the red door she slipped quietly to tip-toe down the steps. In her right hand she held a white woven basket, in her left bread and cheese, and she balanced on her head a blushing peach. Her hair was dark oak heartwood, and her eyes warm coconut shell. As she dawdled down the footpath around her home, she twirled around leisurely to view the surrounding countryside, then closed her eyes to focus on the sounds of her favourite setting.

Elizabeth walked straight into a tree. She opened her eyes. This was not her mother’s garden.


We have ourselves a very relaxed vibe there to get started with. We have this girl just wondering out into this place that appears to be quite peaceful and one of her favorite spots to be in. The description of the girl is also pretty nice there, we have just about enough to be able to visualize what's happening without it going into tooo much detail. All in all, a really lovely opening paragraph that just seems very relaxed and then BOOM we smack into a true and there's chaos and confusion. Together, these two make for a wonderful way to start this off here, cause it just immediately gets your attention here.

Elizabeth scanned the area. A bubbly brook was flowing to her right, a lightning-struck fallen tree to her left, and her downy peach had dropped to the ground at her feet. Not a creature was visible in the plump forest and the wind just whispered through the leaves. As she pulled away from the tree she had swept into, her hair caught in the bark so that she struggled to lose it. Finally freeing herself, she attempted to sit before feeling a sharp frisson of nausea. Her sight became overcast and unsteady, appearing in waves, before finally the sun exited her vision and even the air fell silent.


Hmm, well those last two lines were a rather poetic way of saying that she got knocked unconscious. That description took me a bit by surprise there...xD. But well, this is a lovely continuation from the earlier point here, there's the sudden impact of the tree, she starts to realize her surroundings now that she's more aware of them, she notices some strange looking things and then passes out. Its all a nice little escalation there from the main event. And of course, this sort of scene makes for a lovely ending to the start of a novel here, cause you do really want to know what happens next.

All in all, a pretty solid start here for this story. Very simple scene here, but done really well and pretty effective. It seems like something I'd certainly read :D

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry





The ink in which our lives are inscribed is indelible.
— Helena 'HG' Wells, Warehouse 13