12+

Survival: The Escape, Chapter 23.2

by KateHardy

Aria began to carefully lift herself from the floor. Harry started to do the same, but she held up a hand. He stopped and raised his eyebrows questioningly. She gestured to the door and then towards the window. He nodded. She was probably going to stand closer to the door just in case that was the point where it was going to get locked. They certainly had to jam something in there if they wanted to get the door open. 

While blasting their way out of the transport with their guns and taking out the drivers would be relatively easy once they were out of the camp, they’d rather slip out quietly. Avoiding conflict unless absolutely necessary would was the only way for them to remain undetected long enough to complete the mission their parents had come up with. Or they would be hunted down with the entire alien army that was probably still present on Earth in some capacity. Of course those were all assumptions, they would not know the magnitude of what was going on till they were actually outside.

The transport soon came to a halt. From what Harry could make out they were a few feet away from the wall itself. The door that controlled traffic in and out was visible even from where he sat. It had to be massive if he could spot it even with his currently very limited field of view. 

They waited with bated breath as the familiar chirping sound of the alien’s talking could be heard from where Harry assumed the driver was. So far no one had walked out to check the back yet but there was absolutely no way to figure what the aliens were saying. It could have been a routine hello and a joke or they might have been gearing up to storm the back.

It appeared no one would actually be checking the back, because it wasn’t a minute later before he heard the sound of something being quickly opened. It was then closed as soon as it was opened and then the transport was moving once again. Harry watched as they passed by the frame of the door. And then suddenly he could no longer see the doorframe. For a second Harry couldn’t even process what was happening. The outer wall was slowly shrinking and vanishing in the distance. He turned, looking back now rather than forward. As the outer wall got smaller, his smile got wider. They were out. They had escaped.

Harry was almost ready to jump and down and celebrate, but that would probably ensure they got spotted by the drivers and it would still be a very bad thing as long as they were within eyesight of the door to the outer wall. They had to get a lot further away before it was safe to escape the transport and be actually free.

Aria snuck back to her hiding place, and Harry settled down. He could see the smile on her face too. And although he couldn’t see everyone else in their hiding places, he was sure they were sporting identical grins.

With that, he managed to convince himself to lie still in the transport for a bit longer. It was a delicate balance, he did have to make sure he didn’t get himself too comfortable or the exhaustion of everything they had pulled off that one night would end up with him falling asleep. Aria seemed to have the same idea on the other side as she took to silently tapping on her knee.

Aria seemed to be angling herself a little as well, probably trying to get a better view of what was behind them. Clearly she was looking for the best time for them to get out at long last.

Harry took a moment to reflect on what they'd pretty much pulled off at this point. It was something that had been ingrained into the mind of every human for the past century as being something totally impossible, the numerous failed escape attempts all confirming this. Now, however, it was going to give everyone else hope, and hopefully not more trouble. 

The aliens had been quite fair in their treatment of family members and friends in previous escape attempts, and in most cases, the whole family tried to escape together anyway, but those were all failed attempts in which the aliens had won. There was no telling how they would now react to their first loss. It was a depressing thought among the general euphoria of successfully escaping. Way to dampen the mood Harry. You're turning into Aria today.

Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:20 am
RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey Harry!

RandomTalks here with a shot review!

I liked the fact that we continued with the slow reflective pace that you introduced in the previous part. It seems very fitting for the conclusion of this story and I am glad you chose Harry to narrate this chapter. He has the kind of optimistic and light outlook that is very much appreciated for an ending like this that really isn't an ending at all. I think that Aria or even Daisy couldn't capture the emotions at this stage as well as Harry, the eternal optimist would. Also, the story started with him, o it might as well close with him.

I really liked listening to Harry's reflections in this part. Its like the end of a train journey when you look outside the window at the changing scenery and realize how far you have come. I could feel this sense of pride in his thoughts at succeeding in the mission and achieving something none of them had ever dreamt of achieving. I can feel his relief and joy and pride, but I could also feel his lingering sense of fear for their families. It is there, at the back of all of their minds and I liked how you delivered it here.

I was even more excited in this part than I was in the previous one. Maybe its because we are almost at the end now, and the escape feels more real than it did before. I am so excited to find out what you have planned for them next, but I am equally as excited to read the ending.

I will be back with a review for it by tonight!

Keep writing and have a great day!

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!!

Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:10 pm

Hi Harry,

Mailice back with a short review! :D

We go back to that narrative style of a documentary and I like how we see Harry here again as he briefly imagines something, (where at the beginning I thought they were actually doing it). I will also deal with the last part in this review, as I want to write a basic critique in the conclusion. :D

In general, it's a good chapter for the conclusion. It's a mild balance after we fought so much with the protagonists and played so much hide and seek. It's like a glimmer of hope, how you had silence between the group for so long and now at the end they were finally talking again. It seemed like a relief. It came across a bit short, where I think you could certainly put some more joy and bounce across there, but it was a solid ending to the chapter, especially how you managed to create a nice cliffhanger with the ending, where I don't know if the italic of "Free at last" is a thought from Harry, or a special note from the writer to witness a better ending.

Aria began to carefully lift herself from the floor. Harry started to do the same, but she held up a hand. He stopped and raised his eyebrows questioningly.

Here's actually the only point where I thought it felt a bit odd in contrast to the rest of the story, the way you started. I would just try to paraphrase something like: "Carefully Aria began to lift herself from the floor. Harry did the same but before he was standing, she held up a hand. He raised his eyebrows questioningly.” In your current form it seems very direct.

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!! :D

Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:02 pm
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

This was quite an exciting part we had here. Thanks to the aliens that they have made the humans' way a lot easier than it would have been without them. So, this is actually going to end leaving a lot of questions unanswered. That would definitely intrigue the readers to read the next book. You are literally doing this since the very first chapter.

Next, the escape. Well, it's been successful, we know that very well but do the aliens know? I don't think they do. Like in the earlier one, it was never clearly specified if the humans were found dead in the forest. So, I assumed that they assumed them to be dead and if that's the case, the aliens will be free to assume that this particular team too has died in the forest. That's a plus for the humans and a negative as well because... They have done quite some murders before escaping. The aliens do not appear to be too kind to take revenge.

And now the outer world, I mean the world outside the outer wall. I have never ever succeeded at knowing how it's safe. To me, it appears to be a dangerous place full of aliens roaming around and not to mention can contain other things that are way too dangerous for humans. At least this is what I imagine when I think about it. And yes, I guess I noticed this in the previous part too- the use of italics for the sake of emphasis. I don't think it would be very great to do as you have not done it before in the book. One more part to go!!

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!! :D

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind