12+

Survival: The Escape, Chapter 11.3

by KateHardy

"Harris Kane"

The name echoed out to a momentary silence as everyone tried to process the sheer coincidence of the team that had been selected but it was quickly drowned out by applause once everyone realized that the full team was now chosen.

Harry was feeling happiness like he'd never felt before. Somehow defying what probability would have you believe, the three of them had been chosen to go on this crazy adventure and Harry wouldn't have it any other way. Escaping from the hell hole that was called a camp would be one thing but if he was going to do that with anybody it would have to be the team that he'd been a part of since he was old enough to hold a broom.

Harry shakily stood up, still not a hundred percent convinced that all of this was real. After pinching himself more than a few times to confirm that he wasn’t dreaming in bed, he began to make his way towards the stage. Somehow that simple task seemed daunting now that he realized what was going to happen. Mrs. Kane started to talk about how the last person was from the general category again. Harry barely heard it with the blood currently rushing past his eyes. All that he could think of now was that today they were going to start a plan that would see him out of this camp. They were going to make it this time.

He made his way onto the stage and then jumped up, landing on it in one smooth motion rather than walking up the small ramp they had set up using stool. His entrance got the most cheers so far. Harry gave them all a bow as he walked towards his waiting mother. He didn’t know where his sudden bravado was coming from but he rode it out as he smiled at his mother.

One look at her expression however and it all collapsed right back to wherever it had come from. Mrs. Kane looked close to tears as she pulled Harry into a hug and clutched him tightly.

"This is going to be much harder for me than I expected," she whispered into his ear. Harry could only hug her tighter.

"Me too mom. Me too. I can't imagine how horrible it is going to be for you when the two of us leave but one thing I can promise you is that if we get out, no matter what, we’re all going to come back safe."

"Not if Harry," she said," when. Now go take a seat next to your sister. I think I have some announcing that I need to wrap up."

Harry gave his mother one last squeeze before jumping off the stage the same way he had gotten on, still ignoring the staircase. He made his way over to where the other four were seated.

Kathryn gave him a small smile. Ryan only gave the barest of nods, his facial muscles refusing to show any emotion whatsoever. Harry gave an equally imperceptible nod back to him and smiled. Then his eyes moved on to Daisy. Her usual cheery smile greeted him, the fake one that had been plastered on for the stage was long gone.

He returned with a beaming smile of his own. The last person in line was Aria. His sister just proceeded to tilt her head towards Daisy and then wink. Of course that's what she is going to bring up even in a situation like this.

He chose to take the higher route on that occasion and simply rolled his eyes at his sister before he sat down on the fifth and final spot that was there in the first row. It was now official. For better or for worse they were going to be humanity's hope in this particular escape attempt. Hopefully this one goes better than the last few did.

Harry looked towards the stage in front of them, listening to what his mother wrap up the choosing. Next up would be the actual plan.

Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:00 pm
RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey Harry!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

I really liked the way you started this chapter. I had seen this coming of course, but still there was a certain kind of satisfaction to see how this would wrap up especially with the tension you had built since the beginning of the chapter. I really liked the way you portrayed Harry's emotions. He had been waiting to hear his own name since the start of the meeting and somehow I knew that his would be the last name. Still, I think you showed his happiness and excitement really well. This is typical Harry reaction. While others were nervous and scared and silent, he was euphoric, jumping onto the stage and bowing to the audience - almost like a showman.

I understand his happiness though. Its really brilliant that the three of them have not been separated. They are a good team and together they can accomplish many things. I am sure the other two people were chosen with the same idea in mind, still it was a little strange that their entire team was selected. Moving on, I think that both Daisy and Aria have gone over the initial shock of hearing their names. They seem back to normal and more accepting of their roles in this.

Now, I am quite excited to see what the 'plan' is. I have a feeling that the space ship is involved somehow. Given how prepared they were for the meeting, I am sure that this plan of theirs is quite elaborate and full proof as well. Right now, I feel a little bad for Mrs. Kane. We have not met her husband yet, but now both of her children are going off on a dangerous rescue mission that is going to determine their freedom.

That's all!

Keep writing and have a great day!

Until next time!

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!!

Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:44 pm
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

At last we got our final person and it was very much predictable. A bit flat too, actually. It would have been quite interesting to see a plot twist but hm... It would be difficult to make a plot twist here.

Okay so their team has to be awarded the prize of the best team because theirs is the only team of which all the members are there in these 5 people. At the beginning, Harry was again back to his humorous mood. I don't know why he is really from the general category because wow, he is pretty much an expert in all the fields. Something I wouls like to know is the fact that if all knew him. I mean if all knew that he was the brother of Aria. I wonder if people can actually judge only by the surname that they are siblings. Perhaps they can. I like how he jumped to and from the stage. I don't know if it's any foreboding but it seems like this jumping and other physical skills he has can be of use later in the journey.

Now, I must say that Mrs. Kane is a very strong woman. Like she approved their names being put in whatever it was and when they were chosen, she didn't speak a single word. She knows very well that she will not be able to see them, maybe for an eternity but still she had the courage to make them take the risk and most importantly, she herself took the risk of losing her children. I wonder if Mrs. Kane's reaction was this very similar when Aria got selected. As Harry was overwhelmed thinking about his own selection, we might have missed the minute details.

Now about Kathryn and Ryan. Okay, Kathryn doesn't seem to he like Mr. Summers though she is the niece of Mr. Summers. On the other hand, Ryan seems to be like him, at least to some extent. He is a bit serious about the mission, I guess. If I am not wrong, he might be a very funny character. The reactions of both Daisy and Aria were quite aligned to their own characters.

We have another cliffhanger now. Let's see what the plan is going to be.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!!

Oooh the journey is going to be a fun one...I won't spoil anything...but...well ;)

Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:55 pm

Hi Harry,

Mailice back with another short review! :D

"Harris Kane"

It's a load off my mind to read that. I'm so happy that you're starting this part with the name and not using this part to do some kind of "drum roll please, we're now announcing the last person". Also very happy that you are publishing this part now that I have read the first two.

That was a very emotional part and I like the way you designed it. So the coincidences of the plot have meant that we get to keep our beloved trio here, along with two new characters. I'm still curious to see what we'll see. I think that's a good point in the story, to see this as something "whole" and am happy to recognise that we get to see that here. You've managed to take a significant step forward and still keep the pace and the story in that constant dynamic.

You've managed to create a good transition between Harry's many thoughts in Parts 1 and 2 and now putting them into practice here, so that the thoughts are gone because he has something "real" and doesn't just remain a pipe dream. I think it's a good change to show that less here.

In terms of structure, you've definitely dropped one bomb after another in this chapter so far and I'm still curious to see what happens next. In general, it is much more structured and developed than in the last chapter and the thoughts that perhaps should have been a little more present in the last one, you have integrated well here.

Other points I noticed while reading:

Harry was feeling happiness like he'd never felt before.

Wouldn't it sound better as "a sort of happiness"?

Mrs. Kane looked close to tears as she pulled Harry into a hug and clutched him tightly.

That´s really sweet of her.

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!!

Ohh bombs are gonna keep dropping till there's a break in maybe 14 ish to 15...:D

No one is perfect; not even your reflection.
— Chalkboard Words