A Reason

by Forestqueen808

This is something that really happened in my life, today, actually, so I didn't know really where to put it. Thanks for the critiques.

“Hey mom,” I say casually, walking inside. My new lime green converse already have black spots where there was once white, and the wind is beginning to pick up outside. But my mom doesn’t say hi, she just listens to whoever is talking on the other end of the phone.

“Mom?” I ask again, she holds up her finger, signaling me to be quiet. I watch as her eyes fill with tears. She goes into the other room, blocking out whatever she is saying. What was going on? What was happening?

“Emma,” my mom comes out, the phone has been hung up, and she’s looking at me with those green eyes that had always been smiling. She puts her arm around me in that motherly way and leads me to the big, red, leather couch. “Jenny…she well, she was pregnant.”

My eyes must have bulged with surprise, I could sure feel my heart jump. Jenny! Pregnant again! But…why was my mom so sad? It couldn’t be…

But it was. “Emma, Jenny was only three months along, and she…well, she had a miscarriage.”

I could feel pain in my heart. I had only known about her pregnancy for less than a minuet, and now, it was over. Why did things have to break so fast? A memory came into my mind. I had gotten my first REAL balloon on my fourth birthday, then I sat on it, and it popped. This was like that. It lasted only for a moment, when you think its going to last forever.

Tears formed in my eyes, and I couldn’t help but let them fall. Sobs escaped my chest as I thought about my sister and her husband and their other kids. It must hurt, it must hurt incredibly.

* * * *

I walked into my room later that evening, immediately falling onto my knees, my hands clasped together in a prayer.

“My Father, my Father in Heaven, please…comfort my sister and her family, comfort me. Let me know that this happened because of a purpose, please let me know there was a reason for this.” The words tumbled from my lips, along with tears sliding down my face.

A warm glow filled my chest, I knew it would be okay. This happened, and there was always a reason. Tears still fell, but I walked slowly out to the kitchen, and embraced my mom. “Its going to be okay,” I whispered.

She squeezed me against her, and as soon as I let go. I inched to the phone and dialed my sister’s number. “Hello?” her voice was filled with tears.

I gulped. “Jenny, its me, Emma.”

ultraviolet wrote a review...

I loved it but it was so sad! It actually happened in your life? I can't imagine. Is your sister all right? For personal-ness I give this 10 stars out of 5 (if that helps any). For that I won't put a happy elephant in my signature. Or bold letters. Hope you're OK.

love --ultraviolet

Memories, left untranslated, can be disowned; memories untranslatable can become someone else’s story.
— YiYun Li