z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Dark & Light

by EverLight


''Why are you loved light?'' Darkness wondered.

Light considered, pondered, and answered,

''Because I am the easy way and you are the hard way, why is it that you are hated?''

Darkness pondered for a moment, and responded,

''Because I am the dark reality, and you are the bright truth.''

Light wondered, and thought and finally asked,

''Does that mean we are one in the same?''

''No, I am hard, cold, the greatest teacher and, you Light, are the hope of dreams, the fire inside, the healer of the wounds. What does that tell you?''

''That you cannot have light without dark,'' Light realized.

''Oh?'' Darkness commented curiously.

''And that is the truth of the world. Where I leave happiness joy and ignorance, you leave sadness pain trauma and knowledge, of ages.'' Light answered thoughtfully. ''It's you who bring true rejoicing by giving reason for it.''

''Indeed it is so.'' Darkness concluded. '' I will end someday, until then God has made me as your helper-leading people to your truth which is this-God loves us all.'' 

''And so it is'' Light thought in wonder, in awe of the way God makes things work, even in broken times . . .even in the midst of darkness. In awe of how even darkness leads to light in the end.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
108 Reviews


Points: 13147
Reviews: 108

Donate
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:13 am
Asith wrote a review...



I really like this! A very fun piece of flash-fiction, perhaps even speculative, which is my personal favourite :P
Your premise is already golden, so here's some nitpicks about the way you've actually written it:


*It's especially the case for stories as short as this, but should apply almost everywhere: use vocabulary well! Look at these two sentences:

Light considered, pondered, and answered,

Darkness pondered for a moment, and responded,


They both appear only a line apart from each other, yet are extremely similar, especially with the word "pondered". It struck me on my first read-through and distracted me from the story, which isn't something you want to happen! Repetition of words like "pondered" feel extremely clunky to the reader. Try to find fresh ways of saying the same things!

*That being said, it's also sometimes better to not use excess vocabulary unnecessarily. I'd strongly suggest re-reading your work, putting yourself in the place of a first-time reader, and strongly considering which sentences you enjoy reading, and which feel clunky or unnecessarily flowery. You'll get the hang of it, I'm sure :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The story itself is once again intriguing, so I have no qualms there :)
Keep using your ideas, you have good ones!




User avatar
121 Reviews


Points: 110
Reviews: 121

Donate
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:00 pm
View Likes
manilla wrote a review...



Like what GrayButterfly said, you do explore an interesting concept here, personifying Dark and Light, polar opposites at first. Let's get into the review, shall we? :D

''Why are you loved[,] light?'' Darkness wondered.


You forgot a little comma there!

Light considered, pondered, and answered,


Since you start what Light says at the next line, a period would be more suitable after 'answered'.

''No,[;] I am hard, cold, [and] the greatest teacher[.] a[A]nd, you Light, are the hope of dreams, the fire inside, the healer of the wounds. What does that tell you?''


Once again - Minor punctuation errors. But they don't get in the way of your story's meaning!

''And that is the truth of the world. Where I leave happiness joy and ignorance, you leave sadness pain trauma and knowledge, of ages.'' Light answered thoughtfully. ''It's you who bring true rejoicing by giving reason for it.''


Wow. That was deep. (But don't forget your commas)...I feel like you have lots of idea and meaning bursting from your stories, which is more than a good thing! You also have lots of creativity as a writer. Keep going! We'll be there!

-Manilla out
(Feel free to disregard any comment you deem unhelpful or rude. That was not my intention.)




User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 248
Reviews: 11

Donate
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:20 pm
View Likes
GrayButterfly wrote a review...



Hello! I love how thought provoking this is. It's almost other worldly because it's not something the average person thinks about. This is a cool concept, and I like how you did not make darkness complete evil. The reason I say this is because you mention God when darkness first talks about Him. That because God created everything, he also made darkness as a place of sadness but also knowledge. That even in darkness, God is there. On a spiritual level, I find that very interesting. In terms of believers, or even people who don't believe, I think people often forget who they are or why they exist. Ahh, see how this creates discussion?

I realize that this is a conversation between light and darkness, but it doesn't seem like it has a common theme. What are you trying to say through this? What is your goal? What do you want your readers to take from this? You start by the darkness asking the light "Why are you loved?" and by the end you begin to talk about God. If God is mentioned, shouldn't He be put at the beginning? If you choose to revise this, I would recommend writing your discussion out before you type it. I mean this on a very basic level. You don't have to write out specific quotes, just general points.

I hope this helps! Keep writing!




EverLight says...


Thank you!





No problem :)




“All stories are true," Skarpi said. "But this one really happened, if that's what you mean.”
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind