12+

The Alchemist's Bookshop [Part 1]

by Evander

Author's note: Heyo! Feel free to rip this apart! I'm specifically looking for help with character voice, tone, and description, but any and all help is welcome. Thank you so much!

The familiar bell chimed softly from the door. Emelia gazed up from her thick tome with heavy eyelids, adjusting her glasses in order to see the new customer who had walked in. She had initially suspected one of her regulars — perhaps one of the trench-coated mages or even the young sorcerers she had taken under her wing — but instead she was greeted with a new, bright young woman.

The light green jacket did compliment her dark skin.

Curiosity and excitement tickled at Emelia’s brain as she turned the top paper for the gold-to-dollar pamphlet upside down, promoting reading instead of proper exchange rates. At the same time, she pulled her wand out of her sleeve and quickly cast a few charms to stop the shadows on the wall from dancing. She was uncertain of this new woman being a magic user, but it was better safe than sorry.

“Welcome to The Alchemist’s Bookshop, miss!” Emelia tipped her droopy wizard’s hat in the new customer’s direction, then waved. “If you need anything, then I’ll be happy to assist.” She recalled the years of studying under Klaxius, watching as he would always greet new folks (non-magical folks) with a smile. She wondered if she could echo his grace onto her expression.

Probably not.

“Oh, hello!” The woman ran her hand through her hair and gave a strained smile. “I was just wondering if you had any books on gardening? I was going to check Barnes and Noble, but I saw this new indie bookstore and figured y’all could use some support. One of my friends recommended this place…”

“Of course, miss. We here at The Alchemist’s Bookshop carry every single book that you may need! I’ve read them all, so I’m happy to assist.” Emelia quickly managed to recall that she probably wouldn’t end up seeing the sorcerer children again, given that the shop had managed to transport itself to Elmset, Ohio instead of staying back in New York City where the magical community was thriving. Regret weighed down on her conscious like a sack of bricks, yet she whispered a quick spell under her breath and managed to attain a reprieve from her emotional state.

Klaxius’s warnings of using magic to cover up her true feelings bounced around in her head for a little bit, but then she quickly dismissed his drivel with another mumbled spell

Closing the cover to the tome — Curses and You! — she set it under her desk and then pulled out the enchanted tablet. “What specific plant care do you need? General books on gardening? Or do you need books on particular kinds of plants?”

Emelia looked toward the small aloe vera plant that danced on her desk, patted to quiet it, and then returned her attention to the customer at hand.

The woman stopped meandering by the door, walking towards the front desk with a rushed sort of purpose. That didn’t stop Emelia from noticing the gold sheen of makeup dusting her face and how perfectly her bun had been pulled up.

Emelia’s heart quickened.

This time, she tried for channeled magic. Pressing her wand to the inside of her wrist, she focused on a strong spell to repress any sort of wry emotional reactions and felt the cool relief ease into her general aura and rhythm.

“I’m mostly looking for perhaps some obscure books about gardening? I’m living in my great grandmama’s house on the outskirts of town and things are pretty… weird there. If you get what I’m saying.” The woman leaned onto the desk and smiled down at Emelia with a gap in between her teeth. “I’m Sarah, by the way. Sarah Anderson.”

Not an especially magical name, but that doesn’t necessarily rule her out. “I’m Emelia Oliva. Nice to meet you.”

-

“This is Ms. Oliva from The Alchemist’s Bookshop speaking. How can I help you?”

“Oh! Hi! Were you the clerk that I spoke to about two weeks ago? I was wondering about the book you gave me. Gardens, Wildlife, and Other Oddities? You see, some of the passages are really, well, downright strange. I know y’all are themed after the magical sort of stuff, but I didn’t think that any sort of non-fiction book would talk about, y’know…”

A broom and dustpan clanged happily along the floor, sweeping up dust particles. Emelia covered the receiver of the rotary phone, shot a quick spell, and the animated objects lost all sense of life.

The one good thing about it being Wednesday evening (and living in a new city with a lacking magical community) was all of the cleaning and reorganizing she could get done within the shop. There were no worries about her magical energies mucking up the day of some wizened wizard or scaring to death any regular people.

Sometimes, she wondered why Klaxius wanted the shop to be open to magical and non-magical people alike. Everything would be so much easier if it had been one or the other.

“Ma’am, I’m so, so sorry about that. If you return the book to the store, then I'd be happy to give you a full refund. Perhaps some of our promotional books got mixed in with gardening stock.”

Sarah’s laugh was unlike any Emelia had ever heard before. Soft and light, compare to the maniacal and harsh laugh of Klaxius. “Pardon me for not believin’ you, but this book was written a tad too seriously for me to believe that it was just promotional materials.”

Emelia shifted in her worn leather seat a little bit, cast a quick spell to calm her emotions, then put on the best voice she had. “What can I say? I’m dedicated.” Lilac magic tickled through her veins.

Was Sarah a witch? Was Sarah a sorceress? Did Sarah have magical friends? A few more questions tried to edge around the filing cabinets inside of her brain, but they were held back by the spell.

The other end of the line was silent for a few moments. Emelia briefly, lazily, wondered if she had misfired the spell and calmed the electrical connection, but then Sarah’s voice reappeared in all of her southern charm. “You wrote this book?” The bemused undertones didn’t hide the threatening disbelief ready to burst through.

Emelia tried to quickly recount the last time she had read the book — oh blessed heavens, it had been well over two decades — cursing herself for forgetting the section on magical oddities in addition to general gardening mishaps, but the tired magic lulled her thoughts to dullness. “Yes, miss! I write all of the promotional material! It’s a fun hobby of mine.”

“You must love gardenin’! The book was really helpful until it got to the parton unicorn blood. It’s really so funny to put real information in with the fake. I say! How about you come over to my house this weekend and help save my dying plants?”

“Of course, miss.”

“Call me Sarah. Now here, I’ll give you my address and you can stop on over around 4pm on Saturday? Will you be off work then?”

“Yes, Sarah. Of course. I’ll always make time to help a customer.” Emelia watched as the enchanted pen dragged itself over an open notepad, ready and waiting for the address to be stated. “I’ll close up the shop and—“

“Perfect!” Sarah started to rattle off her address and all Emelia could do was just sit and listen to the lovely southern drawl.

When the phone call finally ended with a click, Emelia clapped twice for the lights to switch off, and then she rest her head down against the cool desk. Klaxius, what is even happening in my life?

-

Sat May 12, 2018 1:22 am
Nobunaga wrote a review...

Evan!! This was so beautiful oh my gosh!

First of all, I fell in love with your characters so easily. Your voice sets up such a fairytale atmosphere. I felt so charmed while reading this. It honestly was amazing. I already can't wait to read more.

Okay, I have very few critiques. I get a little picky because I really enjoyed it!

Emelia tipped her droopy wizard’s hat in the new customer’s direction, then waved.

I find it a bit odd that Emelia would do both of these greetings. Usually, a tip of the hat stands alone and trying to picture her doing both is weird.

Emelia quickly managed to recall that she probably wouldn’t end up seeing the sorcerer children again

The mention of "sorcerer children" here really caught me off guard. Especially since no follow up information was offered on them or what they did or anything. I love the worldbuilding, but I would have liked to have a little follow up on them.

Lilac magic tickled through her veins.

I just really love this line.

Lastly, I'm just personally dying to know more about how magic interacts with other magic. You had a line about Emelia not having to worry about her magical energy messing up soeone's day, and that really just opens up a whole other discussion about the effects of magic in the real world.

Mainly, what I'm trying to say, is that this is amazing. I wish it wasn't just a short story!! Well hopefully there is at least a part two? /puppy eyes/ Your worldbuilding here is so rich and I immediately got lost in your style and descriptions. The characters are precious freaking babies and I love them.

Please let me know whenever you post more!

Evander says...

There will definitely be a part two by the end of this week!

Wed May 09, 2018 7:55 am
fukase wrote a review...

Hi,
This is a really worthwhile read like seriously it is a good. I am just going to leave you some quick comments about the some part you specifically mentioned.

I think there are some parts that somehow went off.

When you put "Oh, hello!" it was quite odd as a greeting in a shop especially in a reply of a greeting that Emelia didn't ever "Hello!"ed her. It might be just some random greeting if someone has already used to it, but I think this is worth mentioning. And the last sentence of the quoted above ended in an eclipse which it symbolized some shady meaning that it has more meaning in it. And you wrote it as "saw this new indie bookstore", how could it be a novel for her if her friend had recommended this place? It might be because it was new in the place but something is definitely off because if this bookshop a new one then why it has regulars? And if this Sarah is a new to the place, then she can't really say that the bookshop is new. I think you understand what I mean.

I noticed you had put many parts about "Klaxius" which is might be a character that is so vital in Emilia's story, but to repetitively repeat and repeat the name made this story confusing. For me, it is indeed hard to write thoughts or elaboration about the main character's thoughts in story like this and you had put a lot of them which some of them might be not necessary or you can just merge some of them in a paragraph to make it clearer because it made some choppy paragraphs.

To blurt out "What can I say?" here felt a little tad wrong because she is talking to her customer and not her standard friend because earlier in the story, you are able to make a "customer and a seller" situation and to cancel it off after a few weeks made it blunt. If this was personal, it might be okay, but Emelia is speaking using the business phone, and it should be more formal in Emelia's side.
“Ma’am, I’m so, so sorry about that.
“Of course, miss.”

To freely switch between Ma'am and Miss were unacceptable. Decide what you want to call your customer, preferable one of it was enough.

Some nitpick from me is, I think it better to remove "Ms." there. Just some personal thought though.

The story is nice and quite fresh.To bring up a topic of gardening in a short story is a great idea once a while. And is Emelia having some mental disorder because it made me question about her unnatural behavior. All in all, keep writing this story. Would love to read the next part. Hope this review helped a little.

~Memo

Evander says...

Thank you for the review!

I might have poorly explained it within the story itself, but the bookshop can actually magically transport itself from city to city. (Why? Well, hopefully I'll explain that in part 2, haha.) So Emelia is able to have regulars (who are now gone) in addition to being a new bookshop on the block. In my personal timeline, the bookshop had probably been in Elmset, Ohio for about two weeks. Long enough for other people to check it out, but short enough for Emelia to lapse back into the mindset that she's still in New York.

In my head, Emelia is struggling between maintaining a customer/seller relationship with Sarah while also subconsciously wanting something more, given her switch between personal friend/seller attitude. But I'll definitely reconsider the "what can I say?" line during the rewrite.

Once again, thank you so much for the review!

fukase says...

You are welcomed. :D

Haha, I was just curious in a way and I think I understand what you trying to do about the shop; well, anything can happen as it is a fantasy genre. Do your best to write about the characters building as it is a very important aspect.

Ventomology wrote a review...

Hello! I see we've got some modern-fantasy here, which is honestly one of the most enjoyable subgenres of fantasy out there. It's just not taken advantage of enough!

Anyways, diving right in:

Technical Comments:

It looks like Hatt caught you on little things, but you were asking specifically about character voice, and I could probably help a little with that?

You have a strong start: using interjections and other out-of-the-ordinary syntactical instances in the prose is a good way to imply that you're trying to be conversational and write in vernacular speech patterns.

However, I will say right out that I don't think you've quite caught the kind of all-encompassing, tinges-all-aspects kind of character voice that maybe you were going for? My reference for doing that tends to be Rick Riordan (Magnus Chase and the Apollo series are very strong in this aspect). And what he does is throw in opinions like they're just facts. And by opinions I mean like, every instance you could reasonably judge something or someone, go ahead and try it. See if the opinion fits in with the flow of writing, and if it does, keep that around.

Additionally, it helps to sort of pick out moments where you've written a phrase like: "she felt," or "she thought" or things along that vein, and then try to work that out of the text by inserting a statement that could come straight from the character. The process of getting into a strong character voice can take a fair bit of time and editing, but once you figure out what you want and how to get there, it comes a little more naturally!

Plot, Characterization, and Misc. Items:

1. Omg this seems like a really cute story, and I am a total sucker for those. And like, something about the way you've tied together the world and story (stealing Hatt's words) really does have that feel-good Ghibli vibe. It's sweet and enticing, and even though I'm not sure what direction exactly you'll take with the relationship, I feel like it'll be fun and fluffy on the whole.

2. On the other hand, I'm not sure how I feel about this attraction-at-first-meeting business. It certainly matches with the Romance tag, but it feels a little too fast.

3. Like Hatt said, your worldbuilding is excellent. Usually, it's just casual enough that it feels fully ingrained, like the magic is in the periphery as well as in the plot, and that's super awesome!

Anyways, I'd appreciate if you tagged me when you put up chapter 2? This seems like a fun read, and I'm excited to see what you do with this!

Awesome job!
-Vento

Evander says...

Oh! It might feel a bit fast because this is actually intended to be a short story. There will be a part 2 (and then maybe a part 3 if I'm unable to wrap it up), but this story is intended to be told in less than 4000 words. I'll definitely reconsider the attraction-at-first-meeting aspect, though, since I do want this to flow well.

Thank you so much for the review! I'll definitely tag you when I next update (which will hopefully be within the week)!

Mon May 07, 2018 5:17 am
Hattable wrote a review...

Heya, Adri!

I've been looking forward to this story, so I'm just gonna dive in and get to the content-type stuff at the end. You ready?

Emelia gazed up from her heavy tome with heavy eyes, adjusting her glasses in order to see the new customer who had walked in.

Repetition of “heavy” is repetitive. You could replace the first “heavy” with “hefty” or “weighty” or something of that sort, though I don't think those sound quite right. I take “heavy eyes” to mean she's tired, but part of me feels that it could also be interpreted as her being sad? (Barely, but it's a feeling) So maybe that one should be swapped out.

I am trying to come up with an appropriate synonym, and I'm searching through the thesaurus as well, but I can't come up with any!! Hopefully you can, though. You're pretty good with synonyms.

She had initially suspected one of her regulars — perhaps one of the trench coat mages or even the young sorcerers who she had taken under her wing

So this is kind of nit-picky, and doesn't make a ton of sense, but “trench coat mages” conjures images of mages in trench coats, as I presume you intended, but it also has me thinking that their magic is mainly related to trench coats? It gives me Studio Ghibli vibes, and it could be an interesting idea, somewhat? Also reminds me of Taako's umbrella. But I'm sure this isn't what you meant.
To fix this, I'd suggest saying “trench-coated” (I checked and the hyphen is acceptable there, too, so ha--) But yeah, that might help with clarity.

Also, “young sorcerers who she had taken under her wing” is grammatically correct, but it feels a bit longer than necessary? You may be able to omit the “who” without losing any grammar quality or the meaning you intend, but I'll leave this to your discretion!

but instead she was greeted with a new, bright young woman.

And, same sentence, “bright” kind of makes me think it's in reference to her intelligence, as that's usually what I find the word referencing when describing a person. This may be nit-picky as well. If you read it over again and think it feels out of place, “glowing” may be a good substitute. But this is really minor and, again, nit-picky. It's perfectly fine as it is!

Curiosity and excitement tickled at Emelia’s brain as turned the top paper for the gold-to-dollar pamphlet upside down, promoting reading instead of proper exchange rates.

You're missing a “she” before “turned”.

I'm not sure what you're going for with the final bit of this sentence. I figure something like she turned the pamphlet over so the customer would see reading material rather than exchange ads? I'm not entirely sure if this is correct, and the wording is a bit awkward, so you may want to revisit this portion.

At the same time, she pulled her wand out of her sleeve and quickly cast a few charms to stop the shadows on the wall from dancing.

This is one of the sneak peeks I got while you were writing this, and I love this part. It's a neat little addition to the overall scene and setting, and it gives a taste of the magic in this world you've made. Really like it.

watching as he would always greet new folks (non magical folks) with a smile.

“Non magical” should be hyphenated, I believe. Also, nice use of parentheses. They can be used so wrongly in stories and just rip the user out of the tale, and although this is really just a tiny thing, it had the potential to do that just from being parentheses. But it didn't, it feels natural, so props!

I was going to check Barnes and Noble, but I saw this new indie bookstore and figured y’all could use some support. One of my friends recommended this place…”

Hahah, new indie bookstore. Good bit there. I will say that the ellipses at the end feel like her word tapering off, which you probably intended, but it also doesn't feel quite right for some reason? Maybe you could add a part right after about her glancing around, whether warily or curiously or whatnot. Just the tapering off and then Emelia's sudden leap to speech was funky.

Emelia quickly managed to recall that she probably wouldn’t end up seeing the sorcerer children again, given that the shop had managed to transport itself to Elmset, Ohio instead of staying back in New York City where the magical community was thriving.

This is some good worldbuilding, and I'm definitely intrigued by the shop's apparent spontaneous (or maybe not so spontaneous) transportation from one place to another. Definitely reminds me of Howl's Moving Castle (not a jab or accusation of copying, it's a good thing to be reminded of) with how his castle door could be set to open up to several different locations.
But, all that said, it's rather abrupt and unprovoked, for lack of a better word in my head right now. Nothing explicitly happens to call these thoughts to Emelia's mind, as far as we're shown, aside from the new customer, but that doesn't feel like a strong enough point to stir the notion? Or, if it had been, perhaps this should have been described earlier. It being crammed in now doesn't feel natural and pulls me from the story because one moment Emelia is talking to the customer and then thinking about a thing that was mentioned in passing a couple short paragraphs before.

Hopefully this doesn't come across too harshly. It could be squeezed in elsewhere, and I'm sure you could manage a more natural segue into it at a more appropriate time. It just doesn't quite work here.

General books on gardening or do you need books on particular kinds of plants?”

This doesn't seem like it's punctuated correctly. Maybe you could go “General books on gardening? Or do you need [...]” – Make it two questions, because its current state is a pair of related ideas that are expressed slightly differently. You could keep it as one flowing sentence if you worded it like “General books on gardening, or books on particular kinds of plants?” or a variation of that. Helps the flow and reads more naturally.

Emelia looked toward the small aloe vera plant that rested on her desk, patted it, and then returned her attention to the customer at hand.

This feels random amongst the conversation she's trying to hold. Maybe you could mix things up and have it be a magical/sentient aloe vera plant? And make it wriggle around or something, showing signs of its sentience before Emelia pats it to get it to hold still? That could be fun, and would help build the magical sense of the shop up some more.

Just an idea! The current patting of a regular old aloe vera plant is random, though, unless it has some purpose that I'll find upon reading further--

Using both “meandering” and “walking” sounds as though there's a third part to this sentence that's missing. I'd suggest making it “walked” so that you let us know she's meandering, but then walks. Otherwise it gives that missing-part vibe, or it just sounds like she's doing an uncomfortable hobble that's both walking and meandering.

I also don't see how her sense of purpose would keep Emelia from noticing the makeup and hair? I realize, though, that you're trying to describe this character more and build up to the thing I know about from your comments on the plot. It's just an odd thing to say that the sense of purpose doesn't stop Emelia from noticing these things. Unless I'm missing something...?

“I’m mostly looking for perhaps some obscure books about gardening? I’m living in my great grandmama’s house on the outskirts of town

Commas around “perhaps” could help the flow, although since it's dialogue I won't press that too much. I also think “great grandmama” should be hyphenated, but I'm not 100% on that. I do like the usage of “great grandmama” over “great grandmother”, though. It makes this character sound more realistic. More like a normal person. Good dialogue here.

The broom and dustpan clanged happily along the floor, sweeping up dust particles. Emelia covered the receiver of the rotary phone, shot a quick spell, and the animated objects lost all sense of life.

The broom and dustpan are mentioned quite spontaneously. Maybe you could say “the broom and dustpan in the background” or something similar, to at least soften the suddenness of their appearance? Or “a” broom and dustpan might work, but I'm not sure--

If you return the book to the store, then I am happy to give you a full refund.

I think this should be “I would/I'd be happy to” or something of the sort. It sounds more realistic and consistent with the rest of the sentence.

Emelia clapped twice for the lights to switch off, and then she rest her head down against the cool desk.

This should be “rested”, shouldn't it?

And that's grammar done!

I really enjoyed this. It was a fun, quick opening (I hope) to your overall short story, but it set a good scene and introduces the characters well. In terms of dialogue, Sarah sounds more realistic and natural, whereas Emelia was good in the first half, acting all clerk-like, but then sort of stumbled into a robotic tone in the second half.

The little insights into the magical world that you sprinkled throughout were fun and I'd love to read more about your ideas for that. I'm also interested to see if Sarah has any knowledge or inkling of suspicion that there may be something magical going on, as well as Emelia perhaps trying to keep magic hidden from her (is she really going to garden for real? I doubt it.)

But yeah! Overall the flow was decent, pacing was good and relatively consistent, and you've got some good characters. The world is intriguing and I'd love to learn more about how the shop moves from place to place (if it's by magic, like I'm interpreting it to be?). I also want to know more about this Klaxius guy. When you were talking about him in Discord I thought he may have been an antagonist, mostly based on the name sounding sort of villainous, but he seems to just be a mentor of Emelia's, sort of.

Great job with this, though! I hope this review was helpful! Keep up the good work--

- Hatt

Evander says...

Thank you so much for this review, dude! I'm already sending you my thoughts via Discord, buuut I just wanted to let you know here that this review was appreciated.

Hattable says...

!! Thankss-- will respond on Discord as well *finger guns*

To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.
— Allen Ginsberg