12+

Flower Boy [Part 3]

by Evander

Author's note: Really, I'll take any and all criticism, however I am specifically looking for notes on character consistency and flow. Also predictions. I'd love to see where readers think the story is going. Also! I'm looking for suggestions for a new title.

Word count: 1,705

-

Luca stared down at his wrists, watching as dandelions struggled to burst through his skin. Of course, the flowers always came back with a vengeance after Maddock cut them. He felt bloodroot prickle at the back of his neck, threatening to ruin the middle of his counseling session.

He slid off of the plush chair, keeping his gaze directed downward. “So, yah, that’s my thiiing with Derrick and the other boys. My bed is trashed, but liiike, it’s fineish. I’ll be fine. So, uh, we done here? I gotta go help Mels with gardening; she said her leg was actin’ funny again and—“

“Hold it right there, young man.” Mr. Günther’s voice rang out loud like the church bell. “I’m glad that you trusted me enough to tell me about your roommates, but there’s still topics that need discussed.”

Luca hopped back onto the plush chair, still avoiding Mr. Günther’s face and instead looking to the moonfaced clock which was placed directly behind the man. The second hand clicked ever so slowly as Luca read the time. 10:45.

“So, Luca, I’m hearing from Maddock that you’re letting him trim your flowers again, yet they’re growing out of control right in front of me.”

With that comment, the bloodroot bloomed forth. This time, Luca stared at Günther directly. The silver glare of Günther’s glasses pierced into Luca’s conscience, as if it was sifting through his motive and overturning his real emotions.

“Do you know what flower those are, Luca?”

“Bloodroot, sir.”

The cubist cat paintings stared down at him, pressing in on him with their bright colors. On Günther’s desk stood a dunking bird, ducking its head down to avoid judgement and scorn.

“When do they normally sprout?”

Luca shrugged, fiddling with the dandelion leaves growing at his wrist. He suppressed a wince at the pain, instead sitting as still and poised as possible. “They sprout when they sprout.”

“You know that they’re dangerous, right?”

He pinched the base of the dandelion stem. “Yes, sir. Applying bloodroot to skin is dangerous, so is inside-body use. But, uhhh, they grow in my skin, sir. I can’t control them. And I’m fine.”

Günther peered down at Luca, lowering his rectangular framed glasses and letting his blue eyes do the piercing. “You can control them, Luca. You choose not to.”

“Oh, bug off, old man.” Luca tore the stem off and dashed it to the floor, ignoring the shooting pain crawling up his roots and veins.

Mr. Günther’s German tone softened. “We’ll drop this subject, all right?”

Luca could only harden his jaw, staring down at his knees. He begged for thistle to grow, but he was only met by his scabbed and dirt-covered skin. “Iii would like to go now, aktchually”

Günther seemed to not have noticed Luca’s request, flipping his clipboard up and adjusting the papers. “Now, I’ve also been told that you’re passing on an amazing opportunity. Haven’s Academy is offering to take you in with scholarship and you’re just turning them down? My boy, I don’t entirely understand your decision.”

“I’m not ‘your boy’.”

Luca continued to stare down at his knees, ignoring the red and yellow polyanthus flowers creeping up his back and budding through at his shoulder blades. The pain was contained, yet it still felt like he was being stabbed.

“Luca, why did you pass up on Haven’s Academy? You’re a gifted child— you could be Willow’s Sanctuary’s best success story yet. Bright young gifted child with a flowery disposition regularly has lunch with the governor. Gets picked up by an academy, goes on to become one of the best scientists—“

“Don’t call me gifted. Don’t call me a success story. I’m none of that. I-I-I want to stay with Melody.”

“You would pass all of this up for Melody?”

Once again, Luca slid off his chair. He crushed the dying dandelion under his feet moving to the back of the room to the door. “She’s myyy friend, so why not?”

Mr. Günther called out, but then the sound died out, instead replaced with a farewell. “See you in two weeks, Luca.”

“See you never.”

Luca stormed down the hall, his emotions reverberating in his chest with a foreign intensity. Asters and lobelias sprouted from the back of his knee, hindering his angry walk down the rickety hall of the sanctuary. He passed by the lopsided artwork, ignored the playroom, and made a beeline for the girls’ side of the sanctuary.

That’s when he heard that voice.

Max.

“Ms. Romilda tells me that you’re an incredibly bright young child, Bethany. I understand that you don’t feel entirely challenged by this sanctuary’s curriculum, so I was hoping to offer you a spot in my school.You’re actually one of the five children here who I was hoping to take on.”

All at once, bloodroot and violets overtook his face, hot pain overtaking everything that he could see. Bile jumped up his throat, residing in his mouth with a putrid aftertaste. Luca swallowed it down, balling up his fists and stalking forward.

Not going to leave, not gonna go, not going to leave, not gonna go. I don’t care, I don’t care, I don’t care.

-

“I’ll punch him.”

“You won’t.”

“I’ll kick his teeth in.”

“Luca, stop.”

He paced around the room, ripping violets off of his face and dashing them to the floor. Blood trickled down his chin. The pain was nearly unbearable, but he persisted in removing the bloodroot too. Have to see, have to see, gotta see. In his rage, he bumped into Caroline Black’s wire-frame bed.

“You’re making a mess, Luca— you’re bleeding. Stop. Stop. Stop.”

Luca stopped.

“You don’t. Need. To. Hurt. Derrick.”

Luca removed his hands from his face, staring down at the red liquid that coated his fingers. He couldn’t tell if it was his own blood or if it was his own poison or both. “He stole your crutches, Mels. He’s got whatever is comin’ to him. It’ll be my fists, though.”

Melody leaned back onto her bed with a flop. “I’d be more offended if he stole my beanie, Luca. I can get new crutches or a wheelchair if I need it.”

“He stole from you.”

“Let’s change the subject before you go murdering someone, kid.”

“Dooon’t call me ‘kid’. You’re only four years older.” He shot back.

She let out a breathy laugh. “Even with you turning nine soon, that’s still about half of your life.”

Luca smiled, in spite of his face hurting like a swarm of bees had all targeted him. He sat down on Caroline’s bed, careful to not ruffle or alter her sheets too much.

“I don’t understand how you dislike this place so much, kid. It’s… not where I want to be forever, but it ain’t half-bad. I mean, we’re lucky.” Melody’s snakes hissed happily with her, rising above her head and peering around the room with their curious black eyes. “We could live somewhere worse.”

Luca’s thoughts turned to Max, his dreadlocks, and the booklet for the academy that he had tossed aside. “What if we could liiive somewhere better? This isn’t… it. This won’t be your final place to be.”

Melody laughed again, her snakes squirming and hissing. “Who wants to take a snake girl with a legs that don’t work?”

He leaned back onto the bed, staring at the ceiling and trying to ignore the pockets of mold that lurked along the edges. “Loads of people. If someone wants me, Mels, then someone would want you.”

Luca thought back to hearing Max talk about Bethany being one of five. If I’m one, and Bethany is two, then could Melody be three or maybe four or five?

He closed his eyes, allowing the dull ache of his body to take over his senses. If Melody can go, then I’ll go.

-

Luca wasn’t typically a child to wander the halls late at night. Breaking curfew wasn’t really his style, given the fact that he often needed extra rest in order to keep up with his growth spurts. Yet still, he found himself out of bed at 9pm, tiptoeing along the creeping floorboards.

Derrick thinks he’s so smart — hiding her crutches under his bed? Oh-hoh-hoh, that’s so toootally hidden, Derrick. No, no, no. Shove off with that sort of crap. Don’t mess with my friend.

The moonlight shone through the windows, illuminating his path to Maddock’s office. He kept his eye out for flashlights, though, not wanting to run into any of the caretakers tasked with patrol. It’s a Tuesday night, so Maddock will definitely be in his office.

After five minutes of ducking and dodging and tip-toeing and holding his still body up against a wall as a caretaker went by, he finally reached Maddock’s office.

He was about to just open the door and walk in, until he caught Max’s voice.

“If Luca doesn’t want to go, then I won’t make him… It’d be a shame, but I’m not in the business of taking unwilling children from their homes.”

Maddock laughed. “Relax. He’ll be fine. He’s a bright kid and he’ll learn how to adjust.”

Max paused.

Luca pressed his ear up against the door, ignoring the crocus returning to sprout on his face.

“You say that… I’ve selected no one from his friend group? Bethany has Lily, Michael has Idris. Luca is the youngest of the bunch. Seems a bit unfair, to be perfectly honest.”

Some papers shuffled. “Really, Luca is only friends with Melody, and their relationship is tremulous at best. I’ve had to scold him many times for insulting her. Still, she is the person he cares for most. Or, at all, really.”

Luca’s heart broke.

Maddock continued, unaware of the chemicals being poured over Luca’s roots. “He’s an excellent student, if a bit stubborn at times. He’s also eight, so he obviously lacks some perspective. Max, I’m his primary caretaker and I won’t let him pass over this opportunity.”

Luca was getting ready to turn back to his room, his heart in his throat and his flowers wilting.

“He’ll learn to live with it.”

And with that, Luca broke out into a run.

OMG BRB GOTTA GO READ THE REST OF THIS

Luca smiled, in spite of his face hurting like a swarm of bees had all targeted him.

Which they probably do, because flowers.

he often needed extra rest in order to keep up with his growth spurts

"growth spurts" heh heh heh. I see what you did there.

Omg I'm 100% in love with this so far and I've only read this chapter but I'm obviously going to go back and read the other chapters Wow, what a creative idea to have a kid who has flowers growing from his every limb. And sort of awful and unexpected that it's so painful - but then again, it absolutely would be, right?

A+ description right there omg

I'm resisting the urge to tell you that Luca sounds too old for an eight, almost-nine-year-old boy. Like, that's my first reaction when I got to the bit where it turned out he was almost nine? But also I teach and I had a bunch of third-graders this year, who all fell right into that age group, and some of them said such funny, old-man things. I had a fourth-grader interested in a bag of potato chips who thought to ask if they were expired, which I'm still laughing about months later.

So he feels too old to me in this chapter for a nine-year-old, but at the same time he's got a lot going on and I do know my third-graders sometimes said things you'd expect of much older people, so I'll read the earlier chapters and keep up on the newer chapters if you tag me and decide how I really feel about that later.

re: the title, I like it. Short, simple, to the point which is funny bc that's exactly why I don't like my own title plus it catches my attention (mostly because flowers are typically thought of as feminine but you've linked them with a boy here).

Hattable wrote a review...

Heya, Adri!

I stumbled through this review, deleted chunks, rewrote them, did that all again. I hope it came out alright! If you have any questions by the end, feel free to ping me on Discord.

Without further ado--

“So, yah, that’s my thiiing with Derrick and the other boys.

I've previously stated that I was a fan of the way you write Luca's voice, and I am, but this particular vowel-stretching right here bothers me. It feels less natural and more gratuitous(?), for lack of a better word. Like it's heaped on to play off the previous instances of good vowel-stretching. It also reads rather longly for the start of this new portion, at least to me. His voice feels awkward and lenghty here, and he still has a lot to say beyond this. It immediately feels meandering and slow?

I'm trying to be concise but it's difficult! Hopefully this makes sense, but if it doesn't you can text me for clarification!

Mr. Günther’s voice rang out loud like the church bell.

I'm not aware of a church bell on the premises of the sanctuary, though this might just be my own faulty memory. But, even if there is one, I feel that it's not been mentioned enough to go “the church bell”. “A church bell” sounds better? It's less specific, but then again there hasn't been much specificity on them being in or near a church in this scene? So “the” feels awkward but “a” reads more smoothly, in my opinion at least.

If this is your way of implying that they're in a church, which I'm not thinking is likely but could be the case, it's kind of awkward and stunts the flow and might verge on telling?

“I’m glad that you trusted me enough to tell me about your roommates, but there’s still topics that need discussed.”

Need be discussed? Need to be discussed? You seem to be missing a word or two here.

This is a nicely written glimpse into Günther's office. It gives a good feel of the place, and of Günther himself, without overdoing it or pulling us from the interaction. Nice work! And nice design tastes, Günther.

Does Günther know enough about plant-life to know that these are dangerous, or is he just going off of “Whoa, people don't normally grow flowers through their skin”? I like to think I have a decent grasp on general/common knowledge, and unless Günther's got a secret PhD in Plantology (totally words), I don't know if he'd be in on that sort of knowledge any more than I am?

Günther peered down at Luca, lowering his rectangular framed glasses and letting his blue eyes do the piercing.

This is a good sentence. A+

This feels really out of character for Luca. He's also eight? I don't think eight-year-olds typically say “bug off” (though, to be fair, eight-year-olds don't typically grow flowers out of their skin either), but even if it were a usual eight-year-old thing to say, Luca's a sweet boy. Yes, he seems scared of the flowers, even if he doesn't show it, and yeah he's concerned about his friend(s) not getting adopted, and he has some differences with Maddock that he isn't afraid of showing, but-- Straight up rudeness like this isn't the same Luca that I've been reading about?

I just now realized that you've been switching between “Mr. Günther” and just “Günther”, and it felt a little odd here? It's like you can't make up your mind on which to go with. The first instance of “Mr.” was alright, and then I got used to just his name on its own (honestly didn't notice the transition which is probably good), but then you bring “Mr.” back and I had to pause to check if that had been there all along or not.

“Iii would like to go now, aktchually”

Gesundheit! This is actually alright, though. I like the misspelling of “actually” to mirror the way Luca says it, and the stretched “i” is pretty good as well. Only actual note is that you're missing punctuation at the end of this dialogue!

My boy, I don’t entirely understand your decision.”
“I’m not ‘your boy’.”

This is more characteristic! This isn't as cold and disrespectful as “bug off”. “Bug off” also sounded a lot older, but this line works for Luca's personality and age, so it's pretty good? I feel like it could also play into possible anger at his birth mother for abandoning him? Or his feelings about adoption? But that's also probably looking into it way further than necessary-- Luca just doesn't like Günther and doesn't like the “affection” of the phrase “my boy”. That's reason enough.

But yes! Character consistency is here!

He's grown somewhat used to the pain from the flowers, probably, but I bet anyone would still react a bit more to the feeling of being stabbed? An eight-year-old boy, especially. I don't think you can even contain that sort of pain? (I'm guessing your “The pain was contained” means it was in a single location? But I'm just also saying that I find it hard to believe that Luca is just sitting here calmly while his back feeling like it just got stabbed)

“Luca, why did you pass up on Haven’s Academy? You’re a gifted child— you could be Willow’s Sanctuary’s best success story yet. Bright young gifted child with a flowery disposition regularly has lunch with the governor.

I think “biggest” would be a stronger word to use here than “best”? You also say “best” later in the same dialogue, so this could help avoid a repetitive feel. As for “bright young gifted child”, I think this could use a few commas sprinkled through? (“Bright, young, gifted child”) So that it doesn't read as though Günther is spittin' fire at him, y'know?

He crushed the dying dandelion under his feet moving to the back of the room to the door.

I think a comma after “room” could help the flow here? Maybe not, but “to the back of the room to the door” feels winding and... like a fast-paced presentation of ideas, even though it's only a couple things at most. The way it's presented feels very fast and without focus, if that makes sense. I don't know how much the comma would help, but it's a suggestion--

“She’s myyy friend, so why not?”

Stretching out “she's” would read a little more naturally, I think, but this is only a minor suggestion. The current way is alright, too.

Called out and died out are too similar-sounding and too close together here. Maybe you could swap one of them for an alternate phrasing to avoid the repetition of “out”?

“See you in two weeks, Luca.”
“See you never.”

This also feels on the verge of breaking character consistency. It's cold, and Luca has reason to be cold, I guess? But it just doesn't feel like Luca. Maybe I'm not picking up on his disdain as much as I'm meant to be, but he feels ruder than he needs to be?

Luca stormed down the hall, his emotions reverberating in his chest with a foreign intensity. Asters and lobelias sprouted from the back of his knee, hindering his angry walk down the rickety hall of the sanctuary.

Good sentences! I particularly like “reverberating in his chest with a foreign intensity”.

so I was hoping to offer you a spot in my school.You’re actually one of the five children here who I was hoping to take on.”

Missing a space between these sentences. Also, telling her that she's “actually one of the five” he was hoping to recruit feels weird? It sounds like the kind of thing you'd say to someone who wasn't in the initial pick, or who needs incredible reassurance that they were? And rewording it any other way just sounds tell-y, getting across to the reader like “HEY LOOK HE NEEDS FIVE”.

All at once, bloodroot and violets overtook his face, hot pain overtaking everything that he could see.

Overtook, overtaking. Repetitive, oh no.

Also, since the previous paragraph was about Max talking, I think it would be proper to replace the “his” here with “Luca's”? Even though we know who it is that's being referenced here, it would serve the flow and general grammar well.

Bile jumped up his throat, residing in his mouth with a putrid aftertaste. Luca swallowed it down, balling up his fists and stalking forward.

If you change the first “his” to “Luca's”, then you'd obviously change “Luca” here to “he”. Uhh, but yeah leaving the first “his” makes it almost sound like Max's face erupted in flowers and then Luca... swallowed his bile? If you were to read it like a ROBOT, but yEAH. For grammar's sake(?) I recommend switching these instances of pronoun vs name around.

Blood trickled down his chin. The pain was nearly unbearable, but he persisted in removing the bloodroot too.

I think the “too” at the end here could be omitted. It reads just fine without it. The “too” feels unnecessary.

There's the Luca I know and love!

This sentence could do without the comma, I think.

“Who wants to take a snake girl with a legs that don’t work?”

“With a legs”? Boom boom.

Luca thought back to hearing Max talk about Bethany being one of five. If I’m one, and Bethany is two, then could Melody be three or maybe four or five?

Okay, so Max's comment makes more sense now, but it was still worded awkwardly and, like, it was still weird for his interaction with Bethany?

Yet still, he found himself out of bed at 9pm, tiptoeing along the creeping floorboards.

The first comma here sounds wrong? But so, too, does “yet still”, even though it's probably fine? Pointing this out in case you looking it over again reveals any weirdness about it.

Hahah, I love the wording of this, and Luca's such a good friend, taking care of his pal. He's a good little boy, if angry at times. I hope his story turns out alright.

The moonlight shone through the windows, illuminating his path to Maddock’s office. He kept his eye out for flashlights, though, not wanting to run into any of the caretakers tasked with patrol. It’s a Tuesday night, so Maddock will definitely be in his office.

This paragraph, as well as overhearing Max talking to Bethany, gives me sort of Hogwarts vibes? It's cool, and it conjures the feeling I get when reading Harry Potter without coming off as a rip-off, which is great. I don't know whether you took any inspiration from Harry Potter for this story, but oop--

“Until” should be “when”, here. He was about to do this when makes more sense than until.

Dang, I like the touch of the flowers wilting when he experiences such despair? It's a good detail.

Also, SAD ENDING.

This was a great part of the story, and I can't wait to read the next one! I'm not entirely sure where the story will go from here. It's obvious that Maddock (I thought you were a good guy, Maddock >:[ ) will try to get Luca to go to Haven's, but I'm thinking Luca might try to run away with Melody? Or Max would find a way to take them both, but knowing you and how your stories end, that doesn't seem likely.

Pacing and flow were both good in this! The pacing was actually excellent. You're really good at pacing? There's rarely a change in scene that's found jarring in your writing, and this story has been no exception to that. Your imagery and scene-building are also really nice.

And characters! I love your characters. Luca was pretty consistent throughout this, his coldness and rudeness at the beginning aside. Melody has also remained true to her character as of part 2, and she's still trying to keep Luca's head level, so that's good. My perspective of Maddock has slowly changed from the first part, shifting from this great caretaker on Luca's side to... possible antagonist? But not evil. He cares for Luca, I'm sure, but Luca's probably not seeing it that way.

I've said this before, but you're a fantastic writer and your writing is on-par with some published works? Like, it's comfortable to read, never tries too hard to be fancy or show off your skills. They're clearly displayed without unnecessary “flair”. Your vocabulary is also really good. Unlike mine, as you can see! haha

But yeah, this was a great addition to the story and I look forward to more!

I hope this review was helpful!

- Hatt

Evander says...

I could honestly read your reviews for days and days, Hatt. They always bring a smile to my face despite the fact they reveal that my PROOFREADING SKILLS ARE PISS POOR. Like, these reviews are A .

I already responded to some bits on Discord, but here's some stuff here:

You pretty much nailed down how Maddock was always supposed to come across! He wants what's best, but what he thinks is best isn't entirely the actual best. He does very much care for Luca and doesn't want harm to befall him. So, in some way, he functions as an antagonist? But he's not a villain.

I'll definitely go through and edit this within the next 24 hours. I really do appreciate all of your help and input. Seriously, m'dude, you could definitely become a successful editor.

Once again, thank you so much for the review!!!

I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
— Romans 9:25