z

Young Writers Society



Cute and Cuddly Teddy Bears

by Elizabeth


I had to do this for English... a lot of what I write has to do with English (-_0)

Don’t you just love teddy bears? They are the absolutely most adorable stuffed animals that the world has come to face with! They have a rich history and there was more than one person who was inspired to make the teddy bear. The impacts teddy bears have today are very great and they have advanced so much throughout the years, and still have managed to be a mania.

This obsession began when Theodore Roosevelt was having a hard time hunting bears in Mississippi. Somebody found a black motherless cub, tied it to a tree and told the president he could shoot it. Theodore refused, claiming it was not sportsman like. The news got around and Clifford K. Berryman drew a cartoon about it. It got immediate attention and in Brooklyn, New York, a shopkeeper named Morris Michtom placed two stuffed bears in his window. They were made by his wife from black fabric and were finished with black button eyes. When he noticed how popular the bears got and requested permission from Theodore Roosevelt to call them “Teddy’s Bears”. Demands increased and Morris Michtom moved his business to a bigger area and with the aid of the Butler Brothers, he opened the Ideal Novelty and Toy Company, which is one of the largest toy companies today.

At about the same time as it was born in the United States, the Teddy Bear was also born in Giengen, Germany. The Steiff Company of Giengen first introduced the stuffed jointed bear BAR 55PB, christened “Friend Petz”. A New York Toy Importer, Hermann Borgford of George Borgford & Co. ordered several thousand of the Steiff bears for shipping to the USA because of the popularity of the “teddy’s bear” toy there.

Today there are still many stories of how the ”Teddy’s bear” came to be.

Teddy bears have held a significant place in the hearts and homes all over the world. Long ago they were used as child play things, something that everybody wanted: a perennial fad. Today, they are still used as child playthings but they are also highly overdressed Valentines, Easter, Christmas, and Halloween gifts, decoration, mentors (like Smokey the Fire Bear) and collectables. There have been television shows based upon bears, such as Winnie the Pooh, which Disney claimed the rights to in 1959 and released their first Winnie the Pooh movie in 1975. Care Bear Bears have made it with their plush selves and some movies. All of these possessions make people smile and laugh throughout the many years it has been around.

Teddy bears have advanced throughout the time they first began. There have been machine washable teddy bears such as the Doodle Bear. (You could write on it with a marker then wash it off.) There have been singing bears for Valentines Day, which subliminally promote a certain love song with the squeeze of a hand. They shake, they sing, they talk, they can probably walk if we put our minds to it!

The hundredth anniversary of the Teddy bear was in 2002. Imagine a world without them, all of their handmade fabric gone unknown, it just wouldn’t be the same and millions of people wouldn’t be able to tell somebody that they loved somebody without the magic of the technological singing bear.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 1160

Donate
Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:28 pm
Elizabeth says...



It was oour expository essay which I think I did totally wrong... but.... then he replacedit with th poetry book remember?




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 109

Donate
Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:44 am
Teeeeo. wrote a review...



Poof.
What assignment was this for? (I don't remember the assignments that I don't do... Meaning all of them... :P)
Meh. Evil person wanting to shoot an innocent cub... :sobs:
OK! Over it! A really good subject to press on about, the prestigous, pretty, cute, fluffy, button-eyes,... :babbles:
I give it... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: 5 thumbs up!!!




User avatar
915 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 915

Donate
Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:36 pm
Incandescence says...



I think this is "Non-Fiction," and while it is, in fact, good for an English essay, I think you could have extrapolated a few ideas and made it a really beautiful, almost touching, piece.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 1160

Donate
Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:32 pm
Elizabeth says...



If I don't know how to classify things (and I'm not really good at that) then I just put it in other. I believe it will belong in nonfiction but do opinions chnge the direction of where it should be?




User avatar
685 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 685

Donate
Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:08 pm
Rei says...



Not bad. But shouldn't this be in the nonfiction section?




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 1160

Donate
Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:28 pm
Elizabeth says...



FEARBY!!!
(FERBY)
Oh wow... my mom has a dog that repeats itself. I named my teddy bear Pookey, then Ryan Jr... then Ryan Jr. Pookey Romalle-Mathers. That is it..... It is all patchy, I'll post a pic of it soon I guess.




User avatar
683 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 683

Donate
Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:03 am
Emma says...



Awwwww poor old natey. Hey, did the teddy repeat anything?!

*is now sad because it wants that teddy* *also wants a fearby*




User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 11417
Reviews: 425

Donate
Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:46 am
Nate wrote a review...



My favorite teddy bear that I ever had was this bear that I called "Talking Bear" because he could repeat everything that I said. It broke some time ago and, for some reason, my mom threw it away. Needless to say, I miss him :(




User avatar
683 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 683

Donate
Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:52 pm
Emma says...



hee,

how I adore teddy bears. :D





“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables