z

Young Writers Society



A New Fanfiction: Final Fantasy 8 (Chapter 10)

by Dynamo


(Sorry for the wait again. Production has been kinda slow these days.)

Once the man was gone the spell was broken, and they could all stand and talk again. Tylor leaned against a nearby camera. Everything he thought knew seemed to be falling apart before his very eyes. Something was happening to the story, something that should not happen. Tylor felt helpless.

Rinoa ran into the room. “Hey guys!” She looks around as if searching for something. “Where’s Seifer?”

“We don’t know.” Squall replied.

Rinoa sighed and shook her head. “…He’ll be OK, right?”

“I don’t know. We shouldn’t stay here any longer.” Everyone agreed and left the room to find the exit. Squall noticed Tylor leaning against the camera. “Tylor, what’s wrong?”

Tylor pushed away from the camera. “…Nothing. I’ll be fine.” Together they left the TV Station and followed the others.

They all stopped at the giant outdoor TV. Rinoa told them, “They found our base. It’s completely destroyed.”

“And everyone else?” Selphie asked.

Rinoa chuckled. “They’re fine. They’re good at escaping.” They continued down the stairs until they arrived behind the bar. “We have to stay away from Timber for a while.” Rinoa told them. “Is there a safe place you can take me?” Squall sighs and places his hand on his forehead. “This is an order, an order from your silent, remember?”

“…Alright.” Together they went into the bar.

A woman called out to Rinoa once they entered the bar. “Rinoa! I heard your base is in serious trouble. Come over to my place until things settle down.”

“I appreciate it. Thank you…” Rinoa and the woman left the bar.

Quistis turned to the others and said, “What are you waiting for? Come on!”

They all followed Rinoa and the woman to a small house beside the magazine publishing building known as Timber Manics. The inside of the house was clean. The family who lived here must be middle class citizens.

The woman told them, “I’ll let you know if anything changes. ‘Til then, make yourselves at home.”

“Thanks, chief.” Rinoa said before she left.

Squall looked at her and asked, “Chief?”

“She’s the leader of the ‘Forest Fox’.” Rinoa told him. “Almost everyone’s a resistance member in this town. But right now, we’re the only ones that are really active.” She laughed a little at what she said and Squall shook his head.

They waited for half an hour. Squall was leaning against the wall, Quistis was leaning against the kitchen counter, Rinoa was sitting at the table, Zell was kneeling in a corner, Selphie was looking out a window and Tylor was sitting across the table from Rinoa. He had his feet resting on the table. Zell had been awful quiet since they left the TV Station. Tylor knew he felt like crap for revealing Garden to the Galbadian army.

“I still don’t get it.” Selphie said. “What did Seifer come here for?”

Rinoa looked at her lap. “I think… he came to help us, the Forest Owls. I talked about it a lot with him. So please… don’t think too badly of him.” She looked across the table at Tylor. “Especially you, Tylor.”

“Why me?”

“Seifer told me about the SeeD exam. He isn’t a coward, he’s just…” She paused trying to think of the right word. “Confused.”

Tylor sighed. “Whatever.”

“Gee Tylor, you’re starting to sound like Squall.” Quistis pointed out.

There was a knock on the door. “Anybody in here!?” The knock turned into a loud pound.

The voice of the woman from before was heard. “What is this!? I have two small children in here. Don’t do anything to frighten them!”

A woman in a light brown coat came downstairs. “Upstairs, hurry!”

Everyone ran upstairs, except for Tylor who just walked. Rinoa stopped at the steps and asked, “Will she be OK?”

“She’ll be fine.” The woman told her. “The legend goes… that my mother took down many soldiers with her strength, cooking, and beauty.”

Selphie had stopped when Rinoa did. “That ‘beauty’ part sure makes it sound like a legend.”

Once upstairs everyone got comfortable. Selphie flopped out on the bed and Zell kneeled in the corner with his head against a pipe. Rinoa sat on the floor beside the bed. Quistis stood off to the side and Squall leaned against the wall. Tylor sat on the open window with his foot propped up on the sill and stared at the TV Station just a few blocks away. His mind was going one hundred miles an hour with thoughts about what had just transpired. That man in black, who was he?

Quistis sighed and approached Rinoa. “He was so angry when he found out it was only the four of you dispatched to Timber.” She mimicked Seifer’s voice. “’What!? They might end up fightin’ the whole Galbadian force! And all they dispatch are three rookie Seed members and guy who just got here yesterday!? Dammit! I’m going to Timber!’ I never would have guessed he was serious about it.”

“That guy is always serious.” Tylor told them, keeping his eyes looking forward. “His rash impulses are going to get him killed one day. Maybe even sooner than he knows.”

Everyone stayed silent for a moment. Quistis broke the silence and asked, “What’s going to happen to Seifer?”

“He may already be dead.” Squall told them, quite abruptly.

“How can you be so casual?” Rinoa asked. “I fell… sorry for him.”

Squall turned around and started laughing silently to himself. Tylor did the same, he knew what Squall was thinking. …Feel sorry? Seifer would hate to hear that.

Rinoa looks from Tylor to Squall. “What’s so funny!? You two are terrible!”

Selphie sat up on the bed. “So… why do you think Seifer may already be dead?” Squall stayed silent.

“The president of Galbadia and the sorceress joined forces.” Tylor told them. “Seifer attacked the president. It’s no surprise that Seifer may have been killed because of it.”

“Even so!” Rinoa said to Tylor, “I still hope he’s alive.”

Tylor reassured her, “Even though the facts may point to his death, he’s still alive. That I can assure you.”

Squall looked at Tylor. “You shouldn’t lie to make others feel better.”

Tylor looked over his shoulder. “It’s the truth.”

Squall sighed and looked away. “As long as you don’t get your hopes up, you can take anything… You feel less pain.”

“One could argue that that’s a valid philosophy to live by, but in doing so you give up most of the good things in life.”

Rinoa looks at Squall. “I think Tylor is right. There’s no way Seifer would die.”

“Whatever wish you have is none of my business.”

“…You’re mean.” Rinoa turned her back to him. “MEANY!!!”

“Don’t take it personally, Rinoa.” Tylor told her. “Squall is always like that.” Tylor looks over at Squall. “But I do think that was a little uncalled for.”

Squall sighed and said to Rinoa, “…Sorry.”

The leader of the Forest Fox came up the stairs. “The Galbadian forces are withdrawing. Only the soldiers normally stationed here with stick around. If you’re gonna leave town, now’s your chance! You know how presisten those soldiers can be!”

Everyone went downstairs, Tylor and Zell were the last ones down. Before going to the first floor Tylor said, “You’ve been awfully quiet, Zell.”

Zell shrugged. “I don’t wanna talk about it.”

Tylor put his hand on Zell’s shoulder. “I know what’s getting you down. Don’t worry about what happened at the TV Station. What’s past is past, there’s no point in worrying about it.”

“If something happens to Garden it’ll be all my fault.”

“Everyone will be fine, don’t worry. Now come on, everyone’s waiting for us.” Together they went downstairs.

When everyone was together Quistis asked, “Squall, any thoughts on where to go? Getting out of here is only the first step.”

Squall crossed his arms and began to think. “What do you mean?”

“Garden Code. Article 8, line 7.”

Tylor spoke before Squall. “In the event that returning to the assigned Garden is not possible, report to the nearest Garden.”

“That would be Galbadia Garden, right?” Selphie asked.

“That’s right.” Quistis said.

Tylor told them, “The city’s security guards won’t let us through the city’s gates.”

“We can take the train from here and get off at a station called East Academy.” Rinoa told them.

Quistis continued. “From there, we have to go through the forest west of the station to get to Galbadia Garden. I’ve been there several times. We should be OK.” Quistis looked at Tylor and said, “And maybe while we’re there we can find out about Tylor’s history in Galbadia Garden.”

Tylor winced at the thought. He had gotten this far out of sheer luck. If they found out the truth now it’d be all over. “You wouldn’t be interested in that stuff.”

“Actually, I have to look into it anyway. Balamb Garden’s archives didn’t say anything about you so I need to check with Galbadia Garden.”

“Hey! I wanna know about Tylor’s history, too!” Selphie exclaimed.

Tylor sighed. All he could do now was hope for the best.

“…OK then…” Squall announced. “We’ll escape from Timber and head to Galbadia Garden. Let’s go!”

As they left the leader of the Forest Fox called out to them. “You be careful, now!”

As they left the house a Galbadian soldier approached them. “Not good!” Zell said as he brought up his fists for a fight.

The Galbadian soldier panicked. “It’s me, sir! It’s me!” Everyone eased down when they recognized Watts’ voice. “Got some info, sir. Timber station will be shut down temporarily.”

“Mega-bummer!” Selphie said.

“Not necessarily.” Watts continued. “It’s not completely shutdown yet. The last train out of here is bound for East Academy.”

“We’re getting on that train.” Squall said.

“You’re going, too, right Rinoa?”

“Yeah. What about you, Watts?”

“No need to worry ‘bout me, I’ll go gather more info!”

Rinoa went up to him. “I promise I’ll be back. You take care, OK?”

Watts looked at Squall and said, “Squall, please take care of Rinoa.”

“Yeah, don’t worry. Client’s orders. What about you? Will you be safe here?”

Watts gave him a salute. “I’ll be fine, sir! I’ll put up the fight of my life!” Everyone else saluted him back. “I’m happy, sir!” Without another word he ran off.

Before they got to the train station an old looking man called out to them. “Rinoa, Squall! It’s me!”

“Zone!” Rinoa shouted with relief.

“You need to go to East Academy, right? There’s no more tickets left.”

“Super-Duper-Mega-Bummer!” Selphie exclaimed.

“We’ll do whatever it takes to get on that train.” Squall said.

“You won’t have to do that.” Zone took some train tickets out of his pocket. “Looky here! I have everyone’s ticket right here!” He went over to Rinoa and handed her one. “One for you.” He went over to Squall and handed him four. “Four for you SeeD people. Here, I’ll give them to the leader. And the last one is for me…” He noticed Quistis and began to contemplate. He looked at Quistis, then the path leading to the train platform, and then back to Quistis. He handed her the last ticket. “Go on. Take it.”

“I can’t take that. It’s yours!”

Zone’s stomach made a painful growl. “Ouch!” He gave the ticket to Quistis and began to walk away. He kneeled on the ground and grabbed his stomach. “OuuuuuuucH! My stomach hurts! Ouch! Just get going! The train’s leaving.”

“Thank you.” Quistis said.

Rinoa ran up to him and kneeled beside Zone. “Zone… We’re gonna see each other again, OK? No matter what, you have to survive. We have to liberate Timber together, remember?”

“I know, I know. I’ll go hide in a washroom or something. Now get going.”

As they began toward the train platform Zone said to Squall, “Ouch… Take care of Rinoa, will you? I’ll kill you if you let anything happen to her!” Squall nodded.

Before they left Tylor said to him, “You be careful, alright?”

“Yeah, you too.”

Tylor saw that the others were out of earshot. He remembered that later in the story they’d meet Zone and Watts on a boat in the southern part of the world. He whispered to Zone, “If things get out of hand take Watts and head to the coast. A boat will be waiting for you there.”

Squall called out to Tylor. “Tylor, hurry up!”

Tylor pat Zone on the shoulder and caught up with the others. A train was waiting at the platform when they arrived. The PA system turn on and a voice said, “This train is bound for Dollet, stopping at East Academy. This is the last train for today. Please hurry on board.”

Before they got on Squall said, “Let me double check... Get off at East Academy and go through the forest, west of the station. Galbadia Garden is located up ahead… Is that correct?”

“Indeed.” Quistis told him. “Glad we have a leader with a good memory.” The train whistled and closed its doors when they were inside.

The PA system turned on and told them, “This train, bound for East Academy, will depart shortly.” The train lurched forward as it began its journey to East Academy.

Selphie started jumping around at the door to the next cabin. “Open! Open! Please…” She turned to Tylor and said, “Open up!”

“Yeah, yeah, don’t get your panties in a twist.” Tylor went over to the door panel and slipped his ticket through. The panel made a successful beep and the door slid open.

“Tee-hee, thanks!” Selphie went into the next cabin and looked out the window.

“We should get there shortly, so we’ll be all right out here.” Quistis told them.

Zell slumped over and said, “…Oh man…”

Rinoa caught Squall looking at here and asked, “Is there something you want to say, Squall?”

“Well… We made it.”

“I have to thank Zone for that.” Quistis said.

Rinoa told her, “He’s into naughty magazines.”

“I’ll keep that in mind…”

Tylor saw Zell’s depressed state. “Cheer up, Zell.”

“I don’t fell like it…”

The train arrived at East Academy fifteen minutes later. The station was just a platform situated next to a paved road. They went across a bridge and followed the road until they found a forest standing between two cliff sides.

As they walked through the forest’s path Rinoa said, “We’re not too far from Galbadia Garden now!”

“Heeey, I was just thinking…” Selphie went up to Squall. “There might be some bad news from the Galbadian government. What if we get caught and then get broadcast to the whole world…!?”

Zell steps forward and shouts, “Whatever happens, happens! Now come on! Let’s just keep going!” His temper slowly dropped. “I, I’ll worried about Balamb Garden. If anything happens to Garden, it’s all my fault. I’m the one who said we were all from Garden…” He walked up to Squall and asked, “You think the president will retaliate on Garden?”

Squall looked away and said, “Maybe.”

Zell sighed and said, “…Figures…” He grabbed Squall by the arms and started shaking him. “B-B-But, we have a whole bunch of SeeDs at Balamb Garden! They wouldn’t lose to the Galbadian army, would they?”

“Depends how strong the army is.”

“I know, but…”

“Relax, Zell.” Tylor said. “Everything will work out just fine, you’ll see.”

Rinoa turned around and glared at Squall. “Oh, you’re just a great leader, aren’t you…” She walked up to Squall. As she approached Zell went to sit on a nearby log. “Do you actually have fun acting so callous towards your comrades? Zell wants your support.” Rinoa put her hands on her hips and sighed. “Any kind of encouragement will make… Don’t you ever worry about or even think about the well-being of your comrades!? Don’t you understand!?” Squall stayed silent. “Are you even listening, Squall?”

Squall grunted in pain as he grabbed his ears. He fell to the ground, unconscious. Quistis soon did the same, followed by Selphie. Tylor started to hear the loud ringing noise and fell asleep on the dirt road.

Rinoa kneeled beside Squall. “What’s going on!?” Zell and Rinoa were the only two still awake.

Zell told her, “I think… they went to the ‘dream world’.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
73 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 73

Donate
Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:41 pm
deleted1 wrote a review...



If Ninja-z cannot follow the story then that is saying something. You really need more details, this moved way too fast and I hate to admit it, but the characters are not being like they should be. Selphie is the whiner and the ditzy one, but Rinoa is not and I doubt she'd say Zone likes naughty magazines. I cannot imagine Rinoa of all people saying that to a stuck up instructor like Quistis at ALL.

Furthermore, the Seifer talk, not so good. Perhaps you could explain more then just lamenting over him. Finding of the base was too quick and the plan to move was just so rushed that it didn't seem to set a good pace. So if you could in fixing it, make that a first priority.

Good chapter, but aside from grammar, tense and spelling errors, details it is fine.




User avatar
79 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 79

Donate
Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:15 pm
ninja-Z wrote a review...



well, you had many spellling mistakes, among wich you spelled 'feel' 'fell' twice, and in your sig you spelled vampire vimpire. well, this was kinda a boring chapter, and im a bit confused. the plot is develping well, though :)
sorry, i havent been on in a while, and since im busy with school, i probably will be on less often. yeah :( ciao!





It's easier to come up with new stories than it is to finish the ones you already have. I think every author would feel that way.
— Stephanie Meyer