A Story Without Any E's

by DrFeelGood

“This will only push my limits! I must do it.” Joshi thinks.

Joshi's writing a story. A Story without any A's!

Usually, Joshi avoids such daunting tasks, sticking to his familiar sarcastic and caustic wisdom for inspiration. Most of his ‘writings’, which folks would call, ‘opinions of a scathing absurdist’, usually wind up as formulaic rants on unimportant topics.

But today, Joshi has sworn to push his limits. Why? All thanks to that B Joshi got in his Linguistics class. Missing out on an ‘A’ hurt him so much, Joshi took up ‘A Story Without A’s’ prompt trying to justify how insignificant ‘A’ was to him.

Pity him though, that motivation is taking an instant hit as words and thoughts both drift away from him.

“What a fiasco! I am lost for words. I got nothing to talk about. A is practically ubiquitous. A book, a boy, a thought, an appalling situation! Ironic how my ‘appalling’ situation can’t avoid two A’s.”

“It’s hard! It’s so hard!!” Joshi sobs. “Without ‘A’, my writing looks hollow. My focus is shifting on my words than my thoughts!” his whining motor murmurs.

With his story drowning into oblivion, his dictionary-gazing and backspacing skills might just attain a pro-status. In fact, his laptop is visibly shouting, “Stop hitting my body, you stupid schmuck!”

“How about jotting down my thoughts first, without holding back for grammar? But plot is my priority. I can always go back and hunt down that bloody ‘A’ ! But that would look trivial. Writing trivial as ‘trivil’ or random as ‘rndom’ might look frivolous! Substituting it by its synonym won’t always work. How do I approach this?"

Is Joshi about to quit? No wait! A thought has him akin to a bolt of lightning.

“How about writing a story about a fictitious ‘Joshi’ writing a story with no U’s? Joshi’s hardships, his pain and suffocation could mirror my own conundrum.”

In a flash, it all fits in. His task is now his plot. Joshi is finally writing his story:

Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:48 am
lunacat wrote a review...

This was amazing!!
Definitely made me smile. I'm inspired to try and make a story without a specific letter, it seems like such a fun, but challenging idea!
I agree with @eilisBK the word choice was very out there, but I love that about it.
It makes the reading experience even more fun in my opinion
Overall, it was such a funny, unique, read and i really enjoyed it <3

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:08 pm
HikariHateke wrote a review...

This was a really nice read!

Usually I only read poems on here but I was not disappointed. and you didn't have any E's in this story! Like what? How amazing! I wouldn't have been able to write something like this let alone Evan thought about writing this kind of story.

It's very unique and refreshing so thank you for that!

Oh I can't wait for anything else you might have in store

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:06 pm
eilisBK wrote a review...

Wow, I definitely really loved this piece. I was absolutely so surprised and pleased that you actually didn't include any e's whatsoever. That's really impressive! I loved how there was a lyrical feel to this writing, almost like a poem and the dry humour definitely got a chuckle out of me here and there.

It's difficult to offer suggestions to this piece as, 1) your grammar was pretty much spot on and 2) while sometimes the word choice did seem a little... jarring? out there? I can't fault you for that as you're searching for words that don't include E's.

I think that this was a super creative idea and I'm excited to see what else you have to offer! Really nice work!

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:44 am

Hi DrfeelGood,

Sulamit here with a short review !

This type of writing is new to me.I usually read something familiar within my reach but today I though I would venture out ......I was not disappointed !

Thank you for writing this peace of wonder-fully written !

Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:28 pm

Hi DrFeelGood,

I like your approach here of writing a story that can probably encourage other readers to write a story without a specific letter. I think it gives you a whole new insight into the language and which letters appear how often.

I like how the idea came about in the first place; which shows that in some ways Joshi is still a petulant teenager who has yet to find his way, in the world. However, I really like this idea he has to give his frustration legs.

I love that you've made Joshi's language a bit "elevated", which underlines well what you wrote about him in the introduction, and what stories he's actually writing. It makes me like him a lot.

You've put in some very great ideas and metaphors that make it a great pleasure to read. You really put a lot of effort into it.

I like how the whole story revolves around him trying to solve one problem but only coming up with the "solution" to another problem that he doesn't even realise he has. I think it's really great how you managed to make the story so there's no "E" to be found. Kudos for that.

Stylistically, you've done a good job of making this story a good length, too. You created an interesting and likeable character where I would love to read other stories he has written.

Other points that stood out to me:

A book, a boy, a thought, an appalling situation!

I like that expression! :D I really like it because it seems like a quote and I immediately thought of some Latin sayings. :D I can just imagine Joshi sitting in his room, raising both hands in the air in amazement as he realises his dilemma.

With his story drowning into oblivion.

A very beautiful description. You've managed some great descriptions in the whole text which I really like.

It was a very entertaining story with an extraordinary plot twist. I would be very happy to see if Joshi manages to write a story without a U and then finds out that he didn't use a letter again.

DrFeelGood says...

I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for reading and giving me your feedback!

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:39 pm
TheWordsOfWolf wrote a review...

hi, hello, greetings, salutations, good morning, good evening, good afternoon, and good night as well as many other pleasent things that I do not have time for. Anyway, Wolf here.
This was such an adorable little story. I enjoyed reading it and it was very entertaining.
And an interesting challenge it is as well to write a story without one of the most common vowels! And you did pretty well on it if it was your actual intention not to use any e's although you did use it a few times. Which given the title does take a way from the story a bit

Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:34 pm
eleboy says...

good job on the story and not using e

had fun reading

wish I was better at giving reviews

good luck with any other stories you might work on

Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:35 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

hey there! here for a review!
Honestly, I can't stop laughing. I laughed a lot while reading this and still now, I am laughing. U really did an amazing job writing such an amazing, humorous story. I searched for 'E's throughout the story but no, I didn't find a single one. It's really praiseworthy how you have managed to do this. I think that you have portrayed what you have faced while writing this story or maybe a similar one through Joshi. Really, a lot of thanks to that 'b'. If Joshi hadn't got that, I would not have the opportunity to read such an awesome story. This is actually a very hard task to write something without vowels but you did it and Joshi? I don't really know if Joshi did it but I hope that Joshi did it. My review has many vowels tho. My review doesn't have any q and x.

Whatever, it was a nice read and I guess I will read your other stories too.
keep writing.
-Forever

DrFeelGood says...

Well my last name in real life is Joshi. So surely Joshi had something to do with it.

Oh I see. Great

Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:24 am

First Impression: Well, this was a really fun read here...surprisingly entertaining...I didn't really know what to expect coming into this considering the title...but surprisingly not only did it live up to the title, it also was a genuinely good story to read. :D

Okayy...pretty intriguing start there...especially the idea of someone trying to story without a's which sounds like a pretty difficult task, and the fact that someone is attempting that in a story where from what I can see you've managed to avoid using e...gives a whole new level of meaning here. And then there's also a hint of humor rightaway, which makes this even more effective is a start.

Well, that's certainly a funny motive there...not to mention that's surprisingly logical sounding as well...definitely manages to make an idea as random as that sound like it actually comes from a logical reason...and then there's the instant loss of motivation there...which I feel will read to a pretty nice rant here.

Hmm, well that rant was exactly what I was hoping to run into and ahh...I'm loving this so far...its really does come off as quite funny while also still projecting an air of disappointment and sadness somehow...which makes for quite a combination as a reader cause you don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for the protagonist here.

Well, writing a story without "a" would definitely entail a few things like what's going on here...and the fact that this probably parallels how difficult it was to come up with this story without the letter 'e' just makes this whole thing ten times better in my opinion.

It definitely seems like there's going to have to be a few sacrifices done plot wise to pull of a story like this, or at the very least, a lot of sentences are going to need to be restructured to make things sound just a tiny bit weirder than you'd like them to be.

Oh wow...I did not see that coming but this is almost like some sort of infinite cycle being created here which is not only really funny, but its also a pretty cool concept here...to try and wrap your head around. At any rate...this was a really fun read here.

Overall: Overall, this was a surprisingly fun little story here..not too much for me to say besides that...so uhh...yeah, that's about all I've gotta say for now. :D

DrFeelGood says...

I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for writing this!

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!!

Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:22 pm
FireEyes wrote a review...

Hello DrFeelGood! Incoming review!

This is a funny story and I enjoyed reading it. If you meant for the title to be take literally, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but you used 2 "e"s in your story one right here,

Plot should be my priority.
and here
After a bit of toiling

But not to fret! I think i can help with this. you can change the first one to
But plot is my biggest priority
I think this also gives Joshi some inner turmoil on how the gimmick isn't the real meat of the story, the plot is. And the other line can be re-worded like this
A bit of toiling and a lot of whining past Joshi...

But that aside, I commend you at being able to write something with no "e". "E" is the most commonly used letter in the English language. And to be able to write something without it is pretty cool man.

When it comes to the actual plot, I like it too! I admire how it is subtly breaking the fourth wall in ways like this
And when Joshi speaks it's like he's speaking in poetry. I'm sure it comes from the lack of use of words with "e" in it but I don't think it hinders the work at all.

But that's all I have for today! I hope you found some of this useful! Keep on writing, I'd love to see more from you! Anyway byeeeeeeeeeee!!

DrFeelGood says...

Oh hey fireeyes! Thanks for the review. I have no idea how I missed those two e%u2019s. Thanks for catching them. I have fixed them, first one using your suggestion!

The poetic rant and whining are actually based off how I tend to whine when things go south. The protagonist%u2019s name is my real life last name lol. So that adds additional layer of humor to this.

I am glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for catching those e%u2019s. They can be very sneaky.

FireEyes says...

Of course. If you ever think of doing something like this again, put it into a google doc and ctrl f and a box will come up where you can type in it and instances of the thing you types in are highlighted.

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind