z

Young Writers Society



An Immobile Relationship

by DrFeelGood


"Wake up," I yelled.

"Shut up! Don't disturb me," he retorted and punched me aside. I remained silent for some time. 

Few hours later, he yelled again, "What the hell, it's 9 A.M, why didn't you wake me up?" I kept quiet. This was the first time I had witnessed domestic violence. I had no idea how to defend myself.

From that day onwards, he uses me as his venting machine. Blames me for everything, shouts at me, treats me like a use and throw accessory. I feel lifeless! What happened with me? What went wrong in our relationship?

Exactly a year ago, he was standing in a shop, when he first looked at me. ‘Beautiful,’ he had remarked. Since then, I have been by his side, just like a toy in his pocket. I ditched all my friends just to be with him. I was committed to this relationship, but he never really loved me. To be honest, it was more physical than emotional.

Times have changed and so has he. He has found someone better. Better than me. Why am I even talking about him? I want to stay charged and active everyday. I want to live a life without following any order, any command. When will that day arrive?

These days, even his friends ridicule me. They all indulge in collective bashing and he looks at me shamefully. Why can’t he accept me with all my flaws? I try my best to satiate him, to keep myself up-to-date. I think my time is up.

Within a few days, he shall dispose me off. Like every other hapless mobile, I'll have to wait for a rebirth. I can't understand this human race. Cell phones like me desperately try to grab the attention of our owners but they fail to notice our existence. Was it my fault that I was born as a mobile? You bother about cars, T.V., laptop but not mobiles? Why?

Anyways I’m sure, we have better humility than you guys. At least we don’t dump our owner, nor do we woo other humans. You guys have no regards for trust. A new model releases in the market and you forget us. Next time if I get a bad owner, I swear I will drain myself ten times faster! Good Bye for now. I think he is coming....


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 3874
Reviews: 158

Donate
Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:31 am
View Likes
Corncob says...



Haha, this is great, especially the title! Very funny and creative!
My only suggestion is to end the piece here:

Next time if I get a bad owner, I swear I will drain myself ten times faster!


I don't really think the next two lines have any point/effect.

Otherwise, smashing job and I loved it!
Overall rating: 9/10
Keep writing!
+1




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 267
Reviews: 20

Donate
Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:03 pm
View Likes
Spaulds wrote a review...



It took me so long to figure out your talking about a cell phone! Your very good at confusing the reader. Though it is a very well written story, I am still a little confused, I guess It's only because I don't use my cell phone as an alarm clock. Even so, why would you slap your phone? While all this may be true, It is still a great story. I really like the part where you talk about how the phone won't dump its owner. It's really amazing how well you are able to give the cell phone a personality. Really nice writing.
~Spaulds :)




User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:25 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy heeeere, as requested.

So this story was actually easy to understand once I read it through, taking note of everything. In the beginning, I thought the MC was an alarm clock, but when I got to the end, I realized it was a cell-phone. This was an interesting and lively short to tell the story of a cellphone and its journey through their, um, lives. An interesting character to choose, too, but I think it's a unique viewpoint to go from. And so that would make the story unique in itself - one about a cellphone's relationship with a person? o.o Maybe I should take better care of mine, and tuck it into bed....

Slap! A tight slap was what I got for waking him up.


As far as making the beginning of the work confuse the reader into thinking it's a person - you're good. But I thought about this for a moment (I use my cellphone as an alarm), and whyyy would anyone ever slap an cell phone? o.o To be honest, this sounded more like an alarm clock being silenced than a phone (which takes just a click of a button, and then it goes off again in ten minutes). Perhaps you're speaking off your experience with phones, but I've never heard of one that you slap like an alarm clock. ^.^ Psst! Also, you have some redundancy with "slap" being mentioned twice in such a short space.

he frowned looking at me.


You need a comma after frowned, but that isn't my main nitpick here. So, you go through this part and his yelling session beforehand, and then you mention something about domestic violence. I had no idea what you were talking about when I read that, because I didn't see any violence to speak of. Just you telling us that was your first time. So perhaps you could show the "domestic violence" and tell us that bit, as well? Show us the action and description of the violence and what the owner did to the phone, and then do the "it was the first time..." part. Otherwise, your readers will become confused. c:

he shall dispose me off.


dispose of me

Cell phones like me desperately try to grab the attention of our owners but they fail to notice our existence.


So this part was a bit confusing, because it basically said the opposite of what the rest of the piece had said earlier. Throughout the entire beginning and nearing the end, the MC is ranting about how the owner wouldn't leave them alone, wouldn't stop yelling and throwing and abusing them. And now it seems as though you've said the complete opposite of what you'd been saying through the first parts. I think this sentence could be revised to better fit the rest. :3

You bother about cars, T.V., laptop but not mobiles?


This was another confusing line, because I don't understand its purpose. It seems as though its planted there, and wants to have a reason, but isn't quite fitting. Especially the first bits with "you bother about" - which made the entire sentence confusing, because I didn't know what was to bother. >.< So, not a big deal at all. Nothing a bit of tweaking can't whip into shape. c: Oh, and a comma after laptop. heehee

Good Bye


one word. :-]

So this was a good short story with a unique plot to it. Really, the only thing I see wrong with it that I would consider fixing are the sentences that confused me as I read through. Perhaps not even confusing, but more like barbed wire to stick out of the piece and poke the readers as they read along. I mentioned a few of them earlier on in the review, but I think it would be a good idea to read through (preferably out-loud), and find more places where the writing doesn't quite fit. And you may find more grammar and punctuation errors as you read, too. c: This piece was pretty close to error-free, but there are a few little buggers to trip a reader up. Not a big deal, by any stretch. But worth editing for.

Besides those things I mentioned, this was a fabulous short. And I loved how you tried to make it seem as though it was a person at first, and then how the descriptions and everything evolved into a cellphone. A second read showed me how obvious the entire cellphone deal was even in the beginning, but it's only apparent in a second read. So that was yet another thing you did wonderfully - keeping the hints small and tucked into corners of the writing so only bare hints would be given to the reader, building up as they went along. I liked that. The best element of the story, I think - one you executed very well.

You did really good on this piece, and even though it was short, it felt complete. c:
~Darth Timmyjake




User avatar
476 Reviews


Points: 561
Reviews: 476

Donate
Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:26 am
View Likes
Apricity wrote a review...



Hello Dr, Flite here as requested. This is going to be sweet and brief, let's get down to it.


First thing off, I'm not that impressed with this piece in contrast to the likes you've received and the reviews you've received. In fact, it can hardly be categorized as a satirical or funny piece, yes, the ending was unexpected and amusing to a certain level but that was only the ending. And along with that the ending didn't connect with the rest of the narrative. There wasn't much foreshadowing going on and out of nowhere, it just came 'wham'. I would actually start dropping hints earlier in the story, making tiny bits connect to each other and then reveal it at the end.

Let's examine the writing.

"Wake up," I yelled. Slap! A tight slap was what I got for waking him up. Devastated and shocked, I remained muted for some hours.


This is a mobile phone, I didn't know you could slap a mobile phone into silence. That's more like an alarm clock. It'd make sense if it he turned it off, if it was a touch screen I suppose you can scrap that off as well. But you need to make it clear that it's a touch screen.

"What the hell, it's 9 A.M, why didn't you wake me up?" he frowned looking at me. I kept quiet. This was the first time I had witnessed domestic violence. I had no idea how to defend myself.


Comma between 'frowned' and 'looking'. Capital h for he. This is the first time? Doesn't seem very plausible if you ask me, this is his first time using his phone as an alarm clock? I highly doubt that. You've given us no context or background to work with, it won't hurt to provide some background information on the character. I've also noticed you have a problem with punctuating dialogue, there is a link here that shows you how to do it. I sincerely suggest you take a look.

Was it my fault that I was born as a mobile? You bother about cars, T.V., laptop but not mobiles? Why?


So, I have a problem with this entire article as whole and the point it makes. Who says people don't care about mobiles? And what happens with mobiles also happens to laptops, cars and TV. A new model comes out, and people discard the old ones and buy the new ones. The idea of this article is interesting but the way that it has been written doesn't quite explore the potential it packs. A lot of the content here is disjointed and lacks depth, this resembles the ranting of an unwanted mobile who can't accept the fact it got discarded.

Let's take a look at your second last paragraph, a lot of the ideas presented in there either doesn't correlate with each other and needs developing.

Like every other hapless mobile, I'll have to wait for a rebirth. I can't understand this human race. Cell phones like me desperately try to grab the attention of our owners but they fail to notice our existence. Was it my fault that I was born as a mobile? You bother about cars, T.V., laptop but not mobiles? Why?


Cell phones grab the attention of their owners, how do they go about doing it? This is terribly vague, as far as I'm concerned it's the phone makers who are trying to grab our attention. Speaking of grabbing, your tone is pretty flat in this piece as well. There is close to no description but just plain narrating the emotions out. The first question strikes me as cliche, and we all know the answer to that question. Instead of asking that question, how about going into more depth in regards to the previous sentence?

Ok, overall summary, interesting idea you have there but you seriously need to work on how you go about conveying it and work some depth into it. Hope I wasn't too harsh.

-Flite




DrFeelGood says...


Thanks a lot for your honest review. This was not actually trying to make any point, it was just a random mobile phone ranting about her owner. But when I feel the need to explain this to a reader, it is evident that my piece is not up to the mark.

I couldn't actually sense it's disjoint structure till you pointed it out. Now it looks so disjoint! xD Will work more hard next time. To be honest, Flite is a much better reviewer than Subtle Sanity :D :D



Apricity says...


Thanks for the compliment, I would certainly hope so, I've been trying to up my reviews for a while now.



User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 246
Reviews: 160

Donate
Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:29 am
View Likes
Rurouni says...



I like this, but at the same time, I feel like it's mocking domestic violence victims. I'm sure it wasn't your intent, but that's how I felt :/




Rurouni says...


And I did read the entire thing.



DrFeelGood says...


My bad. I think I went a bit too far with that joke. Sorry for that. No offense



Rurouni says...


It's fine, I just wanted you to know. I'm not a domestic violence victim, but... It felt mocking and I thought I'd just bring it to your attention <3



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 65
Reviews: 15

Donate
Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:01 am
View Likes
QuentintheSad says...



This story made me chuckle. Pretty hilarious.




DrFeelGood says...


I am glad you read the entire story. The reviewers below you commented without even reading it. Their reviews are damn funny. More funny than my story :D





Hence my comment. I had hoped to provoke a reaction from those who either didn't read it, or somehow, didn't understand it.



DrFeelGood says...


Really grateful to you for doing that. I had posted this story about 8 months back and again many people did the same thing. They called it "emotional, heart-breaking bla bla bla" I thought the twist didnt work out. So I unpublished it.

Yesterday, I was going through my unpublished stories and I found this one. I worked again and thought at least this time people will catch the twist. And again I received same response!



DrFeelGood says...


Really grateful to you for doing that. I had posted this story about 8 months back and again many people did the same thing. They called it "emotional, heart-breaking bla bla bla" I thought the twist didnt work out. So I unpublished it.

Yesterday, I was going through my unpublished stories and I found this one. I worked again and thought at least this time people will catch the twist. And again I received same response!





What's really funny is how overt the twist is. It literally tells you that it's a phone, although I saw the rhetorical clues earlier in the passage.



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 259
Reviews: 43

Donate
Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:04 pm
EmeraldLinks wrote a review...



Man I've seen stuff like this at my old school.

HI EMERALD HERE FOR SA REVIEWS!!!
First off I want to say like I said above that I've seen stuff like this happen at my school, not necessarily with relationships, but more of just friends, so I know exactly what this story is talking about.

From one of the first stories that I've read that you've made I'm really looking forward to more stuff you make.

Also, im not sure if this is a nitpick or not, but when I just look over the story, it just feels like there's something missing... I have no clue though, but yeah, just wanted to point that out.

Ok, well that's all for my review, hope to see more from you! :D

P.S: You've earned a follower IGN 90/10




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 284
Reviews: 12

Donate
Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:01 pm
Whosabell wrote a review...



it's amazing. but I have a few questions..." I remained muted for some hours."

when you say that, do you mean it literally or just figuratively? and when you said, " What went wrong in our relationship?" in whose relationship? Your dads?
I love the story, it's raw, riveting, and tells about being used, being mistreated...I can relate.
But ,I love it that's my point, Thank You for writing, reading, and loving.




DrFeelGood says...


I know you haven't read the story. You just gave a fake review. There was a twist in the end which justified "muted for some hours" You could have figured it out only if you had read the story!



Whosabell says...


Well that was rude. I did read the story sorry I didn't get yournsucky ending.



DrFeelGood says...


So my amazing work suddenly became sucky? You're changing your views faster than I change my mosquito repellent coil. lol.



Whosabell says...


No, I'm not changing my veiws , I'm jut saying I didn't get it, it sucked. Sorry, its my opinion.



DrFeelGood says...


It sucked because you didn't get it. lol




A true poet does not bother to be poetical. Nor does a nursery gardener scent his roses.
— Jean Cocteau