z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

How the Marigold Lost its Sun

by Desdemona


I don’t know how long I’ve been sitting here for. It could be an hour, it could be ten. All I know is that the sun has set.

I twirl the single marigold in my hand, idly observing its small, delicate petals, closing now that the sun is making its way down the horizon rapidly. I stare at it until my eyes blur and tears start forming in my eyes, trying to soothe the pain they feel.

No amount of tears, however, can soothe the pain in my heart.

This single sun yellow flower, probably picked from its bush just this morning, brings back an enormous flood of memories. Of him, of me and of us. An entire lifetime packed into every single petal.

And it hurts.

I don’t know why he chose to stay with me, nor do I know why he left like he did, but he did both, and he did much, so much more than that.

Maybe I’m supposed to hate him for it, for deserting me like that, but all I’m capable of feeling right now is loss. All I see is the great, big gaping hole in my heart where his presence used to be. The truth washes over me in cold, black waves, echoing in the hollow abyss of my brain.

He’s gone

Gone

Gone…

I get up, trembling, clutching onto my lifeline, the single marigold, and make my way out of the church. It’s dark and it’s cold out here, the icy wind cuts harshly across my face as it howls to echo my misery as I sink once more onto my knees in front of the doors. The marigold falls out of my grasp, I watch as the last of its petals close down, and slowly feel myself slipping away from consciousness, my own petals closing in the absence of my sun, most likely never to open properly again.

My name is Marigold Roisin Kavanagh, and this is the story of how the marigold lost her sun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marigold. You can probably guess. I’m spectacularly ginger. My parents are this improbable mix of Scottish and Irish, so naturally I have extremely pale skin which burns in the sunlight, and red, almost orange hair. Folks called me Bloody Mary at school. Really funny.

It was even funnier when you had to spend the entire summer in remedial math class, with the worst of the crowd. I’d flunked the subject this year. It wasn’t even my fault; my teacher was a creep who spent most of his time discoursing on American politics and giving relationship advice to a gaggle of girls in the front seat. Not that he gave good advice; all he did was to suggest girls to be docile and servile, like they were worshipping their boyfriends. Yuck. This was why I hated the idea of having a boyfriend. Sure, I’m into men and things, but most of them are just… Pigs. They’re sloppy; they can’t do anything on their own, and expect US to do everything while they just sit there and watch! And to top it off, they want us to act like they’re the best thing that happened to us.

Honestly, I think the best thing that happened to women were automatic washing machines.

Anyways, I digress. I was talking about remedial math class.

Our teacher was a Mrs. Stevenson, a tall, stately lady of about 45. I liked her. I could understand everything she told me, and she didn’t try to give me, or anyone, relationship advice. That’s a good enough teacher anywhere. The class however, wasn’t intent on paying attention to the rules of differentiation. Instead, they contented themselves by looking at their phones, or in one case, a netbook hidden under the table. Some just muted the teacher and chatted to each other. That was one thing about Mrs. Stevenson. She didn’t care if you listened or not, she just explained. Of course, she’d explain whatever question you asked her, but she wouldn’t beg you to listen.

In any case, I was jotting down steps to differentiating an equation when something hit me on the back. A tampon. This was the 5th time this week that someone had thrown a tampon at me. God, they never, ever grew tired of that one. I looked back, with the most exasperated expression I could muster. This time it was the boys in the back. They were holding up a paper saying “thought you were covered in blood, sorry.” It was written in red ink. Typical. I don’t even know how they thought that was funny.

Some people should just be in a remedial life class.

Anyways, it seemed that they had a new one among their ranks. Awesome. More fun for everybody! He looked just like them, god. Chubby and tall, clad in a t-shirt that proclaimed the cake was a lie and black studded shorts. A snapback and Jordans completed the douchebag look. All the boys wore different colors of the same outfit. It was like a preset in a game.

I shrugged at them and went back to working on my problems. I had too many retarded douchebags in my life to care.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 7
Reviews: 48

Donate
Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:58 am
Jyva wrote a review...



>I twirl the single marigold in my hand,

"single" is superfluous there.


>now that the sun is making its way down the horizon rapidly.

"rapidly" on its own there sounds weak. i... can't explain it, it just is.
i'd just remove it entirely, or... write "down the horizon so rapidly" to make it fit more into the way a person would naturally think.


>No amount of tears, however, can soothe the pain in my heart.

aaaand we've descended into edgeland. the technical aspect of the writing here is fine, it's just... uuuuugh. too cliche.


>This single sun yellow flower, probably picked from its bush just this morning, brings back an enormous flood of memories. Of him, of me and of us. An entire lifetime packed into every single petal.

nice analogy


>and he did much, so much more than that.

think it should be "so, so much". or just "much, much". much is a weird word. it looks like it should be German. alright ramble over


>I get up, trembling, clutching onto my lifeline, the single marigold, and make my way out of the church. It’s dark and it’s cold out here, the icy wind cuts harshly across my face as it howls to echo my misery as I sink once more onto my knees in front of the doors. The marigold falls out of my grasp, I watch as the last of its petals close down, and slowly feel myself slipping away from consciousness, my own petals closing in the absence of my sun, most likely never to open properly again.

paragraph is fine as it is, but it could use some short sentences to add variation. too many commas, and connectives. see what i did there lmao
"single" can be replaced with a stronger word here, to emphasise the emotion of the scene you're writing. liiike... "little".


>My name is Marigold
alright
>Roisin
sure...?
>Kavanagh
what kind of fuckin' name is that?! sounds like it belongs to an orc from lord of the rings. i just searched it up and apparently it's a real Irish name, but geeeeez - replace it with one that fits a romantic story more, i beg of you.
unless it's your real name. then... um... ignore the advice.


>Marigold. You can probably guess. I’m spectacularly ginger.

nice
the second and third sentence can be fused into one, if you want that.

>I’d flunked the subject this year. It wasn’t even my fault; my teacher was a creep who spent most of his time discoursing on American politics

given the tone you've set for the character so far, i don't think she'd use "discoursing on". i'd bet not many people have even used "discoursing" in any sentence, verbal or written down. it's just a clunky word that has ready alternatives.
i suggest "talking about" or something similar.


>Sure, I’m into men and things, but most of them are just… Pigs. They’re sloppy; they can’t do anything on their own, and expect US to do everything while they just sit there and watch! And to top it off, they want us to act like they’re the best thing that happened to us.

she thinks boys suck and then mr. Perfect Boyfriend comes and she completely changes her mind, right? that's how every other novel like this goes.


>Our teacher was a Mrs. Stevenson, a tall, stately lady of about 45. I liked her. I could understand everything she told me, and she didn’t try to give me, or anyone, relationship advice. That’s a good enough teacher anywhere. The class however, wasn’t intent on paying attention to the rules of differentiation. Instead, they contented themselves by looking at their phones, or in one case, a netbook hidden under the table. Some just muted the teacher and chatted to each other. That was one thing about Mrs. Stevenson. She didn’t care if you listened or not, she just explained. Of course, she’d explain whatever question you asked her, but she wouldn’t beg you to listen.

you're not using "I" every other sentence in a first-person story. congrats, you're better than 95% of the people on this website. i proud in u, friendo.
establishing the character's attitude nicely here too, even if it's a little cliche. "look at me im better than everyone else cause i pay attention and i don't use my phone in class." you're a freakin' nerd, marigold. i mean, i am too, but you're still a nerd.


>Anyways, it seemed that they had a new one among their ranks. Awesome. More fun for everybody! He looked just like them, god. Chubby and tall, clad in a t-shirt that proclaimed the cake was a lie and black studded shorts. A snapback and Jordans completed the douchebag look. All the boys wore different colors of the same outfit. It was like a preset in a game.

IIIIT'S THE BOOOYFRIIIEND! probably.


didn't really take this review seriously because, well, there wasn't that much to fix.
well done m8 i r8 8/8




User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 2162
Reviews: 75

Donate
Wed May 25, 2016 10:03 pm
SilverBerry wrote a review...



Hello! Silverberry here for a review! I'm writing this as I read it so I haven't gotten to read the entire thing yet so my thoughts will be at the end. So far I'm at the prologue, and I really like how it starts in such a somber mood and as the prologue ends one can feel it lifting and becoming more casual and chipper. Also, I must confess that I normally hate first person present-tense (for some reason it sounds really primitive to me) but I actually really liked how you wrote it and it still had a professional tone, if that makes sense. Very nice!

Okay, so far I'm noticing that you are adding a lot of long sentences that are full of commas, which is obviously fine (there are a lot of commas in this sentence too) but in some parts it sounds a bit awkward.

"I don’t know why he chose to stay with me, nor do I know why he left like he did, but he did both, and he did much, so much more than that." -Emotional sentence, I like it! But since this sentence is all by itself and is rather long I think you can make it into two smaller sentences to make it sound better and flow better, but that's completely up to you. Also, "...he did much, so much more..." when people speak they usually say "much, much more" rather than "much, so much more." At least that's what I've noticed.

Marigold Roisin Kavanagh - I like the name and the connection it makes with her lifeline and her emotions and I think it's very cool how you did that. Though I admit that I read this as Marigold Raisin and I cannot change that. XD Not to be offensive of course.

I'm enjoying reading the prologue and the foreshadowing you add in when Marigold is talking about dating and love "Yuck!" It's really cute, and (as I said before) the mood change isn't exactly the most subtle thing in the world but it's a very nice uplift.

"Some people should just be in a remedial life class." - This line is really funny to me and I like the humor added into the story! But since I'm here to review and not just compliment I like how you are adding in some things about her character in the way her peers act around her and she admires different teachers, though I don't think that adding so many details about each teacher was very necessary (unless they are later on part of the story then I'm sorry). It seemed a bit like filler to me.

"Instead, they contented themselves..." This is the proper use of contented and everything but it sounds awkward in this scenario and when talking about kids. Perhaps try satisfied or amused?

Okay now I am done reading and I enjoyed the story! I like Marigold, I think she's a very relatable character and I liked reading all her insights! I think the only problem I had with this story was the structure of it. Some of your sentences (as I said before) were very long and were being split up by commas and I've noticed that some of your sentences are rather short and lonely all by themselves. "I liked her," for example. There isn't anything horribly wrong with this but just for your information. I'm actually excited to read more of your story and find out what the heck happened to Marigold that made her so depressed in the prologue! So keep writing! Sorry if my review wasn't helpful enough but I hope that you can use some of my advice!




User avatar
45 Reviews


Points: 24
Reviews: 45

Donate
Wed May 25, 2016 5:50 pm
Costa wrote a review...



That's quite the contrast between the first and second half of this chapter. It certainly makes me curious as to what happened up until that point, and the way you write is heart-rending.
That being said, the shift in halves extends beyond the tone and passes onto the narration itself; in the church scene, the first person narration feels like it isn't coming froma teenage girl but with a much older woman.

Surely, teenagers can be very dramatic but this feels too verbose for one. Of course, if there's a long passage of time (years) between the de facto start of the story and the church scene, then ignore this.

With all that in mind, I kind of preferred the second half as it felt more grounded-ish. The narration is still excellent, the descriptions are on-point and Marigold has such a sassy, sardonic personality. I suppose the "relationships" tangent is good to showcase her headstrong and independent side but the hook you used struck me as very odd. I really don't see a teacher nowadays touching that can of worms, much less try to suggest that women be submissive and whatnot. He wouldn't last a day on the job.

Isn't there a better way to showcase this? For instance, why can't Marigold just go on that inner rant after the tampon scene? It'd flow nicely, I think, giving an example of what feeds her annoyance and, then, expanding upon it to showcase how it affects her view of relationships.

Regardless, I think this is a very promising start and I really like Marigold.

Keep at it!




User avatar
69 Reviews


Points: 606
Reviews: 69

Donate
Wed May 25, 2016 3:05 pm
NympheaLily wrote a review...



Top of the morning, NympheaLily here for review!

I really loved the small prologue you gave us in the beginning of the chapter. It explained the dire attitude and how this adventure all began. I loved the sadness starting a the beginning, so now you know that this story doesn't necessarily have a happy ending. I don't think I have any problems with this, but here are a few of my favorite parts:

1) "It’s dark and it’s cold out here, the icy wind cuts harshly across my face as it howls to echo my misery as I sink once more onto my knees in front of the doors." Very descriptive. Love the personification.

2) "In any case, I was jotting down steps to differentiating an equation when something hit me on the back. A tampon. This was the 5th time this week that someone had thrown a tampon at me. God, they never, ever grew tired of that one. I looked back, with the most exasperated expression I could muster. This time it was the boys in the back. They were holding up a paper saying “thought you were covered in blood, sorry.” It was written in red ink. Typical. I don’t even know how they thought that was funny." This one made me laugh. Especially the 'covered in blood' thing. I can see how much difficulty she had in school and how she dealt with it. Very well done.

3) "I shrugged at them and went back to working on my problems. I had too many retarded douchebags in my life to care." This kind of gives her a sassy demeanor and also it makes her appear stronger. Other girls would probably take those to heart, but not this character.

This story is very good and I can't wait to read more! And as always, KEEP THOSE FINGERS TYPING!
Ciao!
~NympheaLily





If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson