Selkie

by CuriosityCat

The ocean dances behind my eyes,

the billowing waves waltzing and weaving, 

back and forth to their own rhythmic song.

I hear the sea all the time, whispering in my ears.

It tells me stories of mermaids and Atlantis,

of magical reefs and hidden treasures.

I am, in a word,

Marine.

I see the majestic kelp forest in every tree,

the delicately waving anemone in every blossom.

Every bird is an angelfish,

flitting through the reefs and treetops.

Every star is a jellyfish, 

floating gracefully through the black night sky.

The ocean stretches out to greet me, 

running a cool breeze through my hair like comforting fingers.

A strand tickles my face, and I smile warmly. 

The skin of my bare arms stretches and purrs like a comfortable cat.

I tilt my face to the sky and spread my arms wide in joy, 

running to meet the aquamarine expanse ahead.

As I plunge into the ocean's warm embrace, 

I whisper to myself,

Welcome home.

I love this poem. Just a few comments.

1. Why's it named "Selkie"?

2. Love your avvie <3

3. Keep Writing!

CuriosityCat says...

1. A selkie is a mythical beast which looks like an exceptionally attractive human, but when they put on the skin of a seal, they transform into one. They are instinctively creatures o the sea, and rarely emerge. They can come out of the sea and onto land in human form, but if someone steals their sealskin, they are trapped and bound to marry that person. This often ends badly, though, as the selkie never loses their love of the sea, even after they settle down and have children and such. If they find the skin, they run to the sea, put it on, and leave forever. They usually take their children with them. The quote on the description is about a selkie. "Once a Selkie finds its skin again, neither chains of steel nor chains of love can keep her from the sea." It's from the Irish movie The Secret Of Roan Inish, which is a story about... Well, it's complicated. But mostly it's about selkies. You should definitely watch it. It's amazing.
2. Thank you! I think your username and avvie are beautimous! :3
3. I will! :)

Gladergrande wrote a review...

Hi there, @CuriosityCat (let me just say that I like your username teehee).

Honestly, I loved the poem so much! You write it like a pro. It's that kind of poem that has simple statements in it but if you observe thoroughly, there's so much in each line. Like there's so much emotions and feelings that you can only get if you've got a great imagination. And my imagination was brought up by this poem. It made me feel like I was watching the sunset on a cold, windy day.

But what I loved the most was the last part.

"I tilt my face to the sky and spread my arms wide in joy,
I whisper to myself,
Welcome home."

Those lines made me think of paradise and like everything's blue and everything's fresh and all! Two thumbs up for Selkie! :)

CuriosityCat says...

:3 Thank you! I'm glad you liked it so much.

Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:03 am
leelee8 wrote a review...

Hi, I'm LeeLee, and I originally was just going to comment, but it started sounding like a review, so I went with it. This was just wonderful! I personally love the beach and the ocean, and your descriptions were simply beautiful.

The only things that I think could be improved upon is a few words throughout your poem that would make it sound better, and one grammatical error.

"I hear the sea all the time, whispering in my ears."

Instead of "I hear the sea all the time," I would put something like "I always hear the sea." I don't have an exact reason for changing the wording on that part; it just sounds odd.

"The ocean stretches out to greet me,"

Instead of "stretches" I would use "reaches" because to me, visualizing the ocean reaching as compared to stretching matches the visual image that I think would be more easily associated with the ocean.

"The skin of my bare arms stretches and purrs like a comfortable cat."

The only bit on this is that "stretch" and "purr" would be the proper tense of the words.

"I tilt my face to the sky and spread my arms wide in joy,"

Instead of "in joy" I'd use "with joy" only because it has better sound to it.

Other than that, I LOVED it!!!!! Please, please, keep on writing!

-LeeLee

Holysocks says...

The ending made my head go all tingly. I loved this, and I'm not always that found of poetry, so yeah. XD Keep poeting, my friend!

CuriosityCat says...

(: Thanks! I love your avatar, by the way. "Lemme 'splain. No. It's too long. Let me sum up..." XD

Holysocks says...

XD Thanks!

Holysocks says...

Fond* sorry! XD

Iggy says...

Can't stop reading the title as "Selfie". .______.

CuriosityCat says...

XD Yeah, the title does look like that, doesn't it?

It's been quite a while since I reviewed poetry, and I don't have much to offer in terms of a review. But I do have something to say, so here I go.

I don't know if you saw, but Tenyo said this poem makes them feel hopelessly nostalgic for something they have never had. Which I think is accurate. This is an incredibly nostalgic poem with imagery that adds to that feeling.

That being said, as I read through it, there are just a few changes I think could be made to a) tighten it up and b) strengthen it. All are small changes that involve pruning a few words here and there. Now, this could be a stylistic preference thing, and I would definitely get a second opinion before making any changes (particularly if you disagree with them). However, I'll try my best to explain my choices.

The first thing is actually not a deletion but simply a suggestion for reconfiguration. The first line, "the ocean dances behind my eyes" is so extremely powerful that I feel it needs to stand alone. I'm not suggesting you get rid of the next two lines; I'm just suggestion separating them with an extra line space, like so:

The ocean dances behind my eyes:

the billowing waves waltzing and weaving

I have also made punctuation changes to better fit this format--in my opinion. I feel like a stronger mark than a comma is called for if you set the first line alone. The comma in the second line is actually unnecessary, so I have deleted it. This is completely a stylistic choice, and I know that, but I'm suggesting it anyway. That first line is just so haunting and beautiful, I think it deserves to stand alone.

In the fourth stanza, I would delete "majestic" in the first line and "gracefully" in the last line. For one thing, both of these are abstract descriptors that do little to add to what are already concrete images (the metaphor of the tree and the flower). Further, "majestic" is implied by comparing the kelp forest to a tree; I feel that "gracefully" is implied by the mere fact of jellyfish, as well. (I mean, we don't think of jellies as awkward or clumsy, right?) You did such a great job choosing terrestrial comparisons for your aquatic objects that such bland descriptors detract from them rather than adding anything. The reason I do not suggest cutting "delicately waving" is that this is not associated so much with flower blossoms unless there's a breeze.

(Plus, reading the anemone line without "delicately waving" feels too short.)

Similarly, I'm not a fan of "comforting" in the fifth stanza. Someone running fingers through your hair seems inherently comforting unless it's specifically placed in a creepy context (which, in this case, it is not). I actually suggest refiguring the ocean breeze-as-fingers line like so:

running a breeze like fingers through my hair.

The next line I would suggest cutting completely. It's the weakest line in an otherwise strong poem. It has the least specific imagery, and the bit about a strand of the breeze tickling the narrator's face is somewhat redundant after we've had the much better line about the breeze running its fingers through her hair. I tried reading through the poem without this line, and I did not feel like anything was lacking or lost without it.

In the last stanza, you can cut "in joy" from the first line--after the whole poem, we can infer that the narrator is joyful to see the ocean again, especially as she "runs to meet the aquamarine expanse ahead." (On that note, I feel like "aquamarine" stands out unpleasantly, but I'm not sure how to replace it. Watery?) Otherwise, the last stanza is a nice finish to an otherwise almost melancholy poem, with a narrator who has spent the poem nostalgic for the ocean getting to plunge into its "warm embrace."

I know I offered several suggestions, but overall I think this is a beautiful poem. It's just that I also think it could become even stronger through a few simple changes.

~BlueAfrica

CuriosityCat says...

Thanks for the review, Blue! (I love your avatar, by the way. :D The Little Prince rocks!) I appreciate the help. I'll definitely revise this poem. :3
~Cat

ooh4764 wrote a review...

Might I first say that I enjoy this piece quite a bit. It's beautifully versed and the rhythm fits perfectly. The imagery you used is striking and detailed, creating vivid images.

A personal favorite was "every star is a jellyfish." It gave the striking notion of the bark ocean and the graceful floating of a jellyfish stuck in it.

All in all I love this poem and have no qualms with it. Great job, keep writing.

CuriosityCat says...

Thank you! :3 I'm glad you liked it.

I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good... then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor - such is my idea of happiness.
— Leo Tolstoy