Wind-Traveler

by Crunch

How I long to live in a land

of hand-drawn clouds

floating on painted skies

Rolling hills brushed with green dye

Gray ink mountains, blue-stroked seas

Small villages

with white smudges of smoke rising from their chimneys

A land where everyone is

content.

I long to have

storybook friendships

and happy endings

I long to be in a place

where justice is a matter of course

where every conflict is solved

and the world is good

uncomplicated

and peaceful.

That world only lives

in minds

on pages

and in brief moments

little epochs of happiness

flitting in through the window and then out the door

carried by the breeze.

Maybe happiness is catching these wind-travelers

keeping them in jars like fireflies

Maybe happiness is drawing them

as butterflies on painted skies.

Or maybe it's just

watching them

carving their shape in memory as they drift on by

and thinking about them

every once in a while.

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:49 am
TheClosetWriter wrote a review...

Since the beginning of time, human beings have always been obsessed with the idea of searching for heaven and finding idealistic places to live. Wind-Traveler encapsulates this idea perfectly. It is so clever how the author begins by describing a land of perfection before illustrating how we fantasize about "wind-travelers" and the comforts that come with them. In addition, beautiful imagery is fabricated with word choice and captivating description. My only suggestion is to create a stronger divide between the first 2 stanzas and the second 2 stanzas. This way the contrast between a faultless world and reality is more apparent. Work like this is the reason I love poetry.

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:48 am
TheClosetWriter says...

I also want to add that the foundation of this poem is perfect for a short story. It is such a beautiful concept. 😃

mordax wrote a review...

Hello, mordax here! First off, I loved this poem. I love how you paint such a vivid picture with such beautiful words. Right off the bat, this poem took me into this peaceful, beautiful landscape where I could feel the breezes, smell the air, and see the colors. I love how you transition from describing this view in feelings of longing to the brief moments we crave. I always love work that is centralized on the concept of fleeting happiness in a positive connotation, so I love this poem.

My sole critique (which is extremely minor) is I felt the last line was a bit weaker than the rest of the poem. It felt off with the flow and broke the lyrical sway you had going. Of course, this is a minor critique as the poem is still beautiful, I just think it could have ended off in a more impactful way.

But then again, even as I type that, I realize the beauty of your sudden, "weak" ending, for it is hardly weak at all, merely conveying the way these small moments are so simple yet mean so much. So, if this was your purpose with this ending, then ignore me.

All in all, wonderful job! You have a lot of talent.

mordax

JamesPeterson wrote a review...

Salutations, my good fellow. I am here for a little review.

First of all, wow. Just wow. I would just like to say that I loved this poem. Your use of colorful feelings and visuals are incredible.
I don't think I have anything bad to say.
I liked your phrase: "little epochs of happiness"
I liked all your phrases, in fact.
The way you convey the feelings of wanting all this is tangible. The images are physical.
:D
Awesome work,
~Zacharias Drake

“It doesn’t matter what you are, it only matters what you do. It’s your choice.”
— Sam Winchester