Language Violence Mature Content

Afterlife Chapter 3

by Col3

I watched as his body slid to the ground. His blood was all over my hands and clothes. It made me glad that I brought an extra pair. I looked down at my brother's knife, which was now stained with blood. 

"Ugh," I bent over, trying not to lose my lunch, but I ended up getting rid of it anyways. 

I look back at the lifeless man, just moments before he had pointed a gun at me, daring me to stab him, and I did. I stabbed him. Not just that, I killed him. I felt sick to my stomach, because now, I have to cut off his head. Mine as well get this over with I thought, as I bent over him and dug my knife into his throat. More blood poured around my hands, giving off that foul scent. I scrunched up my nose as I began cutting his neck.  

"This is disgusting," I mumbled, trying not to gag. 

In about twenty minutes, I had his head cut as much as I could. I couldn't get through the bone, but there's so much a 16 year old boy with a pocket knife can do. reaching on the side of my book bag, I grabbed the water bottle that I had packed. Pouring it on me and any part of showing skin that I could. I grabbed another bottled water and began cleaning the head. I don't even know why. . . why did this feel so natural? Like I've done it thousands of times before? I shake off my feeling of unease. For now, let's get out of here. I quickly wrap the head and place it in the box that I had prepared beforehand. Quickly taping it, I ran out of the alley. I was a mile from the mail post, I would be able to get home by dark. 

"Oof!" I slammed into someone, rubbing my head, I looked up to see who it was.

"Hey kiddo, what are you up to?" Luke said, smiling at me

I look up at him " Listen, Luke, there's something you need to know about Liu."

"What's that?" He looks me up and down

"Liu didn't commit suicide, he was murdered." 

Luke stiffens "what?"

"I know, but don't worry, I'm so close to finding out who did it. Then I'll go to the police." I said

"I see." He stammers as he says this, I believe from shock that Liu was actually murdered.

"I'll see you later Luke." I ran off, waving behind me.

I pushed my box through the mail post and headed back home. Runing into my room, I logged into my computer.

RH24: I sent the package, dunno when it'll get to you

Mr. Know-It-All: I'll have your information in two days time

RH24: Kay 

I smiled as I pushed back my chair. 

"Cody! Ms. Anabel is here!" My mom shouts 

"Kay!" I bounce up and head towards the kitchen

"Hey, darling, sorry I haven't been around." She pulls me into a tight hug

"That's fine." I hugged her back.

"Lets have dinner. shall we?" My mother leads us into the kitchen.

I looked at Ms. Anabel, remembering the promise I broke in the first week. I hope she can forgive me. If she even gets the chance.

LittleLee wrote a review...

Hi Col3, I'm here again for a review!

Wow, okay, this chapter is... graphic. I was expecting that, but it might need a content warning xD

Anyway, you did a good job of handling Cody's reaction to killing someone for the first time. But there are two main issues I want to bring up that I feel are holding you down a little.

First is the timeskip. Mailicede made some good points on this, so allow me to add to them.
You set up the death of this man previously. You made it clear that Cody's mind was made up. You made the readers anticipate it. But then it happened off screen, so to speak. And this isn't just some regular timeskip; something major has happened since we last saw Cody. The way I'm reading this, it's actually fine, since I only read one chapter a day; but this can't apply to a proper novel, or to readers who read a lot every day. This is simply too jarring. You need to actually write what happens, not the aftermath.

Second is Cody's conversation with Luke. It felt very random; Luke just suddenly showed up and Cody just impulsively decided to tell him that Liu was murdered? Why? How? That's stretching things a little too far. I definitely think you need to look over that part, and at the very least have Cody properly consider what he's going to say before saying it. You can't excuse him by saying he's emotionally derailed by committing murder either, because after his conversation with Luke he seems perfectly fine. Maybe a little anxious, but not like a kid who just killed someone.

Anyway, that's all for today! This chapter has some interesting developments, but it isn't the strongest that I've read so far. There's some space for improvement. :)

I hope my review was helpful!

~Lee

Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:12 pm

Hi Col3,

Mailice back with another review! :D

What I notice very much in your chapters is not only that they are quite short and a lot happens in these short parts, but that there can be gaps in places that the reader then tries to answer.

I think if you sit down again and start reading through everything from the beginning, you'll realise what I mean. When you're writing, you're usually slower than when you're reading, so it can seem like you've done a lot more. Here you can see it in the best example because we have three scenes. The first is the moment after the murder of the man, the second is the dialogue between the protagonist and Liu and the last is the end. I think you have to try to create better transitions and give a bit more information to the reader so that he can get a more accurate picture of the situation, so that it also helps to keep the tension vibrating.

You've only shown the action here without going into all the details around it. It seems very solid at the beginning and could be seen as a script in places, but otherwise you can see the thread and thus the storyline fairly well.

I looked down at my brother's knife, which was now stained with blood. 

Sometimes it helps to disguise something to make it sound better. Instead of using "blood", you could have used "red liquid" or "lifeblood" here. Imagination is your best friend.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:27 am

First Impression: OKayy...this story is really taking off here, there's no holding back or hesitation whatsoever and we already have a death on our hands here. This is definitely building up very powerfully here and I wonder where this plot might be headed.

I'm just gonna take a step back now. Phew...I was not expecting it to go from that wholesome pair of interactions in the school to straight up murder, but oh wow, this is just escalating so quickly now and I'm worried about what might happen to our protagonist here cause they've just done something pretty horrible here just for information.

Well, you can't blame him at all for the gagging, that certainly isn't a very pleasant experience, and cutting the head off is one of the messiest things you can possibly, cause the arteries there just....it becomes a literal fountain sometimes...and its almost impressive that this person has the desire to find his brother's killer to such an extent that they can do this.

Okayy...well that is in fact about the best you can do with a pocket knife. That's the literal spinal cord running through there and getting through that is tougher than you think sometimes, especially with something like a pocket knife, although at the risk of being too nitpicky once again, how di this person separate the head and put it into a box anyway? That seems unlikely. Also...well....that's feeling this person gets is certainly a very interesting one cause considering the title here I have to wonder if that's some sort of foreshadowing.

"What's that?" He looks me up and down

Luke stiffens "what?"

Okayy...well that's an expected reaction there from Luke with that bombshell. It looks like besides our protagonist here and Mrs. Anabel everyone else has completely believed the lie about the suicide scenario although I do see how quickly Luke accepts it which means he must also have known how happy of a person Liu was.

RH24: Kay

I smiled as I pushed back my chair.

Okayy...well that transaction appears to be almost normal there, I mean, it doesn't seem any different from any other online transaction except for the whole I just murdered someone and sent you a head thing..but uhhh well...I can't help but feel that there could be a catch there.

"That's fine." I hugged her back.

Well....that's an interesting little thing to end on here. Not the scariest of cliffhangers but a cliffhanger all the same because it will be very interesting to see how Mrs. Anabel reacts to this whole thing if this one even tells her or if this eventually ends up being found out, cause this is a pretty serious situation by this point.

Overall: Overall, I think this is moving along rather quickly and things are definitely getting more and more exciting with every step here. I'm very excited to see where this one might be headed at this rate. :D

Col3 says...

Thanks for the review, and if you like it so far, then your going to like just what I have in store!

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!! :D

See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask for no guarantees, ask for no security.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451