New Liz+Zac 1.1

by Carlito

Old & deleted <3

Honora wrote a review...

Hello Carlito! I'm here to help get this out of the Green Room as is the January goal! I don't think I've ever reviewed any of your work so even though I'm sure you know, I'm not here to discourage you. I'm here with good intentions and can hopefully help you out with the limited knowledge I have ;)

In some weird twist of reality, the last week of March had me driving an hour to an ice rink I’d never been to so my little brother could participate in an eight week Special Olympics class with his physical therapy group.
A good first sentence as it gives us a clear idea of what's ahead. The only thing I want to say is that it is very long.

Jack’s limited verbal ability intimidated some, but I always understood him just fine.
Awww! You made my heart melt. I have a nephew with these types of disabilities!

Jack still practically skipping along beside me.
This would be okay but it was used just a few sentences before which makes it sound a bit repetitive.

When we got up to the table, a woman with a name tag with the ice rink logo that read “Barbara” gave us a big smile.
This read funny as I was going through it. I don't know if it was the wording or what but it felt really wordy compared to most of your sentences. :)

“Awesome, thank you.” I guided Jack away from the table and towards the area where Jack’s classmates were getting set up.
Here, the second Jack is unnecessary. I find his name is repeated a lot throughout this work and most of them are needed but where they aren't, maybe take them out. It, again, can be a little repetitive. ;)

She’d worked with Jack a few times before. Jack immediately gave her a hug.
Same thing here ;)

Other then that though, I really enjoyed it! I confess I saw it earlier in the Greenroom but haven't really had an interest in figure skating so didn't look into it. I can also say that I am pleasantly surprised! I love how you have Jack. He's so sweet and every time you described his way of communicating, it made me think of my nephew! You're right, their joy is the sweetest thing there is to see. It's so pure :D

I'm getting really good vibes off of this first chapter so I'll definitely be giving the second and future chapters a visit. If you could tag me in them, that'd be awesome! :D :D

Keep on the good work! :D :D :D
Honora

Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:04 am
AlyTheBookworm says...

Hey Carlito!

I loved the original Liz+Zac so I'm super excited to read this! :D

However, this is all I can see when I try to open up and read chapter 1.1. Was it accidentally deleted, maybe?

Carlito says...

Thanks for pointing that out! Icy bumped up the rating for me and that must of messed something up, but it's fixed now :)

I'm so glad you loved the original L Z. This version is super, super different but the characters are the same! <3

IcyFlame says...

How bizarre! Sorry team!

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:56 pm

Ok I am so ready to get back into this! (So much so that I'm using it to procrastinate from writing my own novel... oops).
To be honest, I have very vague memories of this book from the last time. I'm not 100% I read the whole thing but I definitely dipped in and out of it. Basically, I'm not sure I'm going to be great at comparing drafts so lemme know if that's something that would be useful to you because I'm happy to go flick through the previous version if it helps you at all! For now though, I'm going to start afresh and jump into the world of those crazy kids <3

In some weird twist of reality, the last week of March had me driving an hour to an ice rink I’d never been to so my little brother could participate in an eight-week Special Olympics class with his physical therapy group.

Now, you and I both know who's PoV this is but if memory serves don't you write as both Liz & Zac in the book? If you are, it might be good to just title your chapter with her name so we can keep track of the storylines. If not please ignore me as I'm possibly getting confused with Dark Corners xD

As far as opening sentences go, this one has potential but I think it could be a bit stronger. The weird twist of reality is a nice touch but I personally think it falls a bit flat as we have no idea who Liz is at this point, so we miss how this is a twist.

It was also a weird twist of fate that I was even privileged enough to accompany my brother for such a thing. Usually, our helicopter mom was the one scheduling and facilitating all of the therapy appointments and special things Jack did each week. But after she hurt her back moving boxes around, the responsibility fell to me.

See this one makes sense! You immediately explain why it's a twist of fate and, as such, the reader can buy into it :) Also, really good introduction to the relationship she has with her mum and brother here, all in a few little sentences - love it!

“You ready buddy?” I looked in my rearview mirror at his eager face as I pulled into the surprisingly full parking lot of the [Name] Ice Arena.

Gonna presume this is intentional because you haven't decided on a name for the rink yet?
Allow me to present you with some ideas (yes they're all puns because I can't help myself).
Have an Ice Day
Once bitten, ice shy
The frozen one
The Blizzard of Oz
Ok, I'll stop now xD

Again, I love how you're establishing her relationship with him here. It also gives us a lot of insight into Liz's character already - caring and patient.

Zac, I thought his name was?

Ah Liz, you're not going to forget that name in a hurry.

“I’m probably a nine. I think he’s a youth five?”

Man, American shoe sizes are weird.

While Malina led Jack through some basic warm-up stretches, my eye naturally travelled back to Zac across the room talking to the student and parent that arrived to work with him. What was Mr. Junior World Medalist doing here? Didn’t he have the Olympics or something to prepare for?

I find the way she refers to him here (as Zac) a little too familiar, even if it's in her head. The Mr. Junior World Medallist (which is missing an l by the way) seems about right, but if you saw Ryan Gosling (lol, only example I can think of) you would think of him as 'Ryan Gosling' rather than 'Ryan' right? I just think maybe he should have a last name here, or she could just think of him as the famous skater.

There wasn’t much for me to do other than sit back and watch. Zac was tying the skates of the kid he was helping with a warm smile.

Same comment. It's cute that she notices him but still feels more like he's her friend at this point rather than a somewhat famous stranger.

“Alright Jack, we’re going to learn how to fall and get back up,” Malina led. “I want you to bend your knees and we’ll slowly lower down to the ground and then practice getting back up again.”

I'm having trouble picturing where she is in relation to them that they can take ten steps and she can still hear them. Is she moving around the rink with them?

I tried not to think about how much more complicated this would be once he was on the slippery ice, but that was what Malina and Roland were for.

Oh wait ok I get it! Silly me, assumed they were on the ice already!

It was no matter though. I put in the headphones I brought and cued up Scheherazade, one of my favorite symphonic suites, on my phone.

Considering how concerned she just was for Jack, would she not wait five minutes to see him move a bit before relaxing and listening to her music?

Once the moms starting to put on their skates, with about five minutes to go in the lesson portion, I figured I should do the same. Here goes nothing.

Woohoo! Here we gooo!

Ok so her interaction with Jack was easily my favourite thing about this section. It's so wholesome and pure and I think it's setting us up really nicely for when you delve into the relationship she has with her mum because we already have this foundation of knowing how much she loves her brother.

Overall I think the section might have been a little slow? But that sometimes happens when you break chapters up for YWS so I'm gonna reserve judgement on that for now because I think if enough happens in the second part then there should be a pretty good balance.

I also didn't realise you hadn't given Liz and Jack a surname yet! I'm also happy to spout random ones of those at you too ;)

I'm really glad you've posted this story already and I can't wait to read the rest of it!!

Hope this review helps a little :) <3

Icy

Carlito says...

Thank you so much <3 <3
Honestly not remembering the first version of this story is probably for the best because it's 100% unrecognizable other than Liz, Zac, Cherry, and Jack all still exist and have relatively the same personalities and backstories.

The whole thing will be in Liz's POV (but easy to mix up with Dark Corners!!)

Have an Ice Day
Once bitten, ice shy
The frozen one
The Blizzard of Oz
Ok, I'll stop now xD

LOL I based the rink he trains at off of a real ice rink in Colorado (where many top athletes train) but I don't want to call it the real name - The World Ice Arena at the Broadmoor Skating Club, but I haven't taken the time to think of a real name yet :p

;) ;)

I think my beginnings are often slow as I get back into the voice and get myself going again. I honestly haven't even broken this story into real chapters yet, it's just collections of scenes in Scrivener that sort of make sense in order :p This whole opening scene is almost 5000 words total... so that might end up being one chapter or two or condensed or who knows!!

<3 <3

She conquered her demons and wore her scars like wings.
— Atticus