Dementis: Chapter 1

by Carina

PROLOGUE

I didn’t know what I was expecting upon my arrival here.

Well, alright, maybe I kind of did. When people think of a madhouse, they think of crazy people running around with knives to stab their friends because they were bored. Or maybe that was just me. I honestly didn’t really know.

“Kaya Dewinter?” the plump lady with the deep red lipstick called in a voice that was way too cheerful than what she was paid for.

I looked at the lady and realized I was biting my nails, a bad habit I’ve been developing whenever I got bored.

She mistook my boredom as nervousness, chuckling mildly to herself. “Oh, sweetie, it’s perfectly okay to be nervous,” she said.

Even though I wasn’t really nervous, I didn’t say anything to her.

“Follow me, sweetie pie. I’ll show you where to go.” She headed out to the heavily secured metal door after door until, finally, we were walking down long, white corridors that contrasted greatly from the colorful waiting longue I was previously in.

The lights were blinking. The walls were a pale shade of ghostly white. Our footsteps echoed down the hallway: thump, thump, thump.

I squinted to see that there were three other people waiting for me at the end of the dim, worn-out hallway that connected the colorful lounge to this papery, fading place. When we walked close enough to see them, I saw that one was a slightly older, taller, bulkier guy, and the other two were a boy and girl that looked around my age.

The three of them wore plain white gowns, and standing next to the red-lipsticked lady who wore a bright red parka and mismatching blue bottoms, I already felt out of place here.

The lady whirled towards me and offered a crinkly, worn-out smile. “Deary, Andre here is the oldest one in the kids’ ward and volunteered to help all new people like you, so he will guide you from here on out, mm’kay?”

She didn’t even wait for my answer as she trotted back down the hallway. I could almost hear her hurried footsteps’ secret message: “Get me out of here; this place is crazy!”

Andre, the taller and bulkier one of the three people in front of me, looked at me intently. I stared at him back, almost challenging him to challenge me.

“Hey, new kid,” he finally said, breaking off the silence. As he said this, I tried to look deep into his gray eyes but failed as I realized that they were as hard and blocking as cement, a skill he must have developed after many years of being in this place. “I don’t know what you did—killed someone or beat the living daylights out of ‘em—but it’s all the same in this madhouse. We all did that and that’s why we’re here, so you don't want to make one of us pissed unless you wanna die.” He frowned as the word die hung sourly in the air, creating a blanket of tension around the room. “But hey," he said slowly, nudging my arm with his elbow. "Welcome to Dementis Asylum."

- END OF PROLOGUE -

----------------------------------------------

My name is Kaya Dewinter, but people used to frequently call me Kay. I’m fifteen years old, and I now officially reside in Dementis Asylum. Every day, breakfast is served between 7:00-9:00am, lunch at 11:00-1:00pm, and dinner at 5:30-7:30pm. I take my medication everyday at precisely 10:30 in the morning by a burly doctor whose name tag says FRANCO ALFREDI. I wear the same white gown every patient is wearing, sleep in a white room exactly like every patient sleeps in, and am considered insane just like every patient residing in this building. The officials along with my parents signed the lease form to send me here just like everyone else in the kids’ ward. I have no friends here, no familiar territory.

But boy, do I get a lot of space.

Dementis is huge. Although the long corridors were bland and boring and white and smelled like sterile things and doctor offices, I would do cartwheel after cartwheel down the hallway nonstop until my hands started to show signs of blisters. I would sprint down the hall, jog back to starting position, and then sprint again.

Then, when I got bored of doing that, I would explore the building and scour around looking for unique marks of territory. I usually find little things like secret notes between the kids’ and adult ward in the trash can, or sometimes hidden messages saying “this place stinks” or “I hate this place” written or engraved on the bathroom walls.

I’ve only seen a few rarities such as an abandoned closet at the end of the girls’ hall that used to be a room. It was the only room in the wall that didn’t have bright, shiny white walls. Maybe it did once upon a time, but after years of neglect, it became yellow, papery, and had angry inscribed words all around. I didn’t bother reading it all since it only had five repeating words: “LEAVE ME ALONE AND DIE. LEAVE ME ALONE AND DIE.” There was also another interesting artifact on the staircase leading between the kids’ and adult ward. Someone engraved many cross hatches on the wall, and after there were too many to count, it read, “WHEN AM I NEXT?” in grainy, rushed marks.

This was my schedule for the last two days: sprinting, jogging, doing cartwheels, and exploring—and I liked it that way. I sit far away from everyone else when eating, and I try my best not to be seen. I was never much of a social person to begin with, and now that I’m stuck with a bunch of people who are considered crazy in the head, I would very much rather be alone.

So as I fumbled my way to breakfast one lazy morning, I was caught off guard when the girl who was with Andre when he welcomed me sat down on the chair next to me. “Hi, Kaya!” she said way too cheerfully. “How’s it going? You’re not going to run away like last time, right?”

I played with the mush that they considered food on my plate. “Splendid,” I said in the blandest and blankest tone I could muster, ignoring her last statement.

“That’s good to hear.” She pushed back her fluffy platinum blonde hair back and showed off her biggest and fakest pearly smile then, and I couldn’t tell whether she understood my sarcastic statement or not. “My name is Claire, in case you don’t remember.”

Which I didn’t.

“Kaya,” I said back after a long pause. “But you already know that.”

I did not look at her when I said that, but instead stared down into my grubby food while speaking in the most monotone voice I could assemble. Claire forced another smile on her face, but when she realized that I didn’t want to talk, she stopped attempting to play nice and silently ate herself.

I was fine with that; I didn’t want to talk to her or anybody else in this building. This was, after all, a madhouse, and even if I am considered mad in society, I did not want to associate with crazy people.

For a few minutes, there was silence between the two of us. Around the room were light chattering, the sound of forks scraping the plate, the smell of overcooked potatoes and raw carrots, the occasional howl of a laughter after someone told a disturbing joke. Claire and I sat at the end of a long table by ourselves, and she kept on looking back at what must be a group of friends a couple tables back.

I waited for her to get up and move. She didn’t.

“Hi,” a boy said while sitting next to Claire and me as if we were already the best of friends. “Did I miss anything?” He offered a light and nervous smile that I wanted to smugly wipe out of his face.

“Hey, Marcel,” Claire replied back with obvious relief that he came and saved her from any more boredom and awkwardness. “I was just talking to Kaya.”

I looked up at the two of them when they were waiting for me to say something, but I only crinkled my lips as a greeting, not giving them anything more.

“Well…,” the boy, Marcel, said, “she looks happy to see me again.”

I wanted to throw my food at him.

Claire lightly smiled and finally spilled the bottled up conversation that she concealed inside of her. “So, Marcel, what’s new with you? Dmitri woke me up today, and I’m just feeling really icky…”

I tuned her out, trying to think instead. This girl and boy, they were with Andre when I first came in here two days ago. Yes. Yes, I remember now. “Claire and Marcel will help you get settled,” Andre said to me before he left. “If you have any questions, ask them. They’ll tell you everything.” And so they showed me to my room, but after that, I broke away from them. I remember Claire being awfully clingy, and I didn’t like that, so I just fled to explore the place.

I’m sure they saw me at previous breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, but they haven’t made any moves until recently. A little weird, especially for a way too bubbly person like Claire, but I shouldn’t ever be surprised in a place made for the insane.

“I’m sure Dmitri would like Kaya,” Claire suddenly said, bringing me back to reality. “Everyone likes him.”

“Not everyone…,” Marcel murmured, but Claire gave him a daggering glare. “I mean,” he started to correct himself, “he’s just popular here, that’s all.”

“Look, here he comes right now.”

I looked down at my almost empty plate again, waiting for the person to sit down nearby.

“Dmitri, you look lovely today!” Claire piped up. “Did you eat? Oh, no, don’t say that. I know the food isn’t terribly good, but you need energy.”

What?

“Yes, I agree that their breakfast food is better than the dinner food, but what can we do about it?”

But…no one sat next to her.

“Sneak food? Oh, no, you know how that went before.”

There was nothing there. Who was she talking to?

“I don’t know, Dmitri. It’s not a wise idea.”

Was she that mad?

“I know, I know, we talk about it a lot.”

There was nothing there!

“Yes, I remember when Andre said—“

“Claire,” I finally sputtered out in disbelief. “Who are you talking to?”

She looked at me in wide eyes full of warning. “I’m…I’m talking to Dmitri, of course!” She motioned to her side. “He’s right there, don’t you see?”

But all that was next to her was air. A blank space. A nonexistent thing. Nothingness.

Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:44 pm
fantasies says...

this is actually quite intriguing. i like it!

Carina says...

hahah oh man this old plotline still takes up room in my head but ill have to find the motivation to pry it out..... someday
glad u enjoyed this relic

Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:58 pm

Hmm..I could be wrong, but I have a feeling Kaya isn’t crazy. Maybe she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and that’s how she ended up in the asylum. If she is crazy, she’s the least craziest. Claire is definitely insane, for sure. Dmitri is probably a demon who made her kill her parents. Or an imaginary friend. I’m curious to know what everyone did to be sent into the asylum. I hope they aren’t heartless murderers…but you never know. Great and exciting story so far! I hope that you will have a nice day/night!

Carina says...

oh boy... am glad you like it so far but at the same time I hope it wasn't too cringe since I wrote this nine years ago lol

I don%u2019t think it was cringe.

I may have some older works that are cringe, but I own it because I wrote it and had fun with it.

And if you want to improve it, then do so.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:59 am
Basil wrote a review...

Oh wow!! I haven't read any novels/stories based in an asylum ... seen a couple of horror movies though ;) *cough cough* Grave Encounters.
Anyway, I love it! I want to read more, so I hope you'll write more.
I love how you've portrayed the character, though personally, I'd have loved a crazier protagonist. but that's just me. I still love it.
Keep up the amazing work!!

Sage

Blackwood wrote a review...

You really set yourself up for something in thedescription. Even decorating your story in an idolistoc mannaer. I must admit I have big expectation for this after what you have described to me but I am a bit worried you might sacrifice some good potential to bend to popular ideas. This whole thing could be a dark story with lots of underlying relationships that I feel you will need to do alot to develop. This ain't a proper review yet but rather an overview of what is head of you since I am in class and I'm not supposed to be writing reviews and I'm being sneaky just pretend this was the most amazing review you ever read ok.
I mean it is will a review and I have lots of suggestions for you. I want to do some nitpicking too too but it's really inappropriate so maybe later I can clean this up and add some specifities. Overall I love you so soon.
Soon.
I will giw you more feeback.
Soon.

Carina says...

what a fantabulous review

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:20 pm
crossroads wrote a review...

Hai, Cary!

It's me again - by the time I post this, probably too late to fulfill my Santa duties the right way, I know (offline life decided to show up at a bad moment), sorry about that <.<

Alrighty. Now, as I said once before, I really enjoyed reading all the works you've posted, and this one is not an exception. Apart from a few grammatical errors, I can't really see much to criticize - she was well presented as a character, I haven't spotted any infodumps, the atmosphere of the place was described rather great. I wonder, have you done research of some kind on it, or went with how you imagined it to look like?

What I would pick as something I'd change, however, is the tense of the thoughts. It's great how her thoughts mix with what's happening, around the end of the chapter (that would probably be my favourite part), yet I would switch the tense of the thoughts to present. The reason to it is really simple; when we think, we think now, and even if the rest of the story is in past tense, thoughts in present make it seem more realistic. At least to me, it makes it easier to get into the character's head c:

Oh, another thing, there is really no need to emphasize "end of the prologue". I think the line separating it from the beginning of the chapter is enough - or try emphasizing the start of the chapter which comes after the prologue instead :3

All in all, another interesting piece from you. I'd be glad to hear that you've continued (finished ^-^ ) this novel, or that you'll eventually post some more of it - I am rather curious as to what will happen next and how the story and the characters will develop!

I believe that is all I can say..I hope I helped, and I'll keep stalking your Portfolio ;)

Yours,
A~

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:09 am
gauravkundu32 wrote a review...

Hello there, A Boy From The Future is here to review your precious work...
At first I'd like to say that I didn't notice any grammatical mistake while reading this story. This story is really very intriguing. As a beginner own self I can't comment more on grammar or punctuation so I'd move directly to the plot, characterization and setting. So, let's begin...

1.) Plot :- Honestly speaking I like the plot and it is very interesting as well. The words are flowing along with the story, which is very good.

2.) Characterization : - You've provided enough details about the characters to the readers. Though I think more details about the Parents of the protagonist would help readers get to know more about the story, but don't worry It's my personal opinion only.
Setting:- Asylum is a great place ( I also chose same settings for my Novel: FEAR ). I think you've portrayed the scenery very nicely so no complaints here.

Overall, I like this story and you've a lot of potential. I'm curious to know more of the story so keep writing and please let me know when you post the next chapter.

With Best Wishes
Keep up The Good Work
-gauravkundu32-

Shindig wrote a review...

You didn't have many noticeable grammatical errors, so I can see that you've done some proofreading, and the story flowed well. The whole asylum idea was an interesting spin on the typical angsty-teens-in-school story, nice one.

I'll review by just letting you know what I thought as I read:

- The first couple of paragraphs worked well as an eerie hook. We immediately get an idea of the setting and what's going on with a vagueness that keeps us reading.

- Nitpick #1 : You wrote "the colorful waiting longue". I'm sure you meant to write "lounge".

- There were some great descriptions in this, really gave a feel for what the place was like. "I squinted to see that there were three other people waiting for me at the end of the dim, worn-out hallway that connected the colorful lounge to this papery, fading place." <-- Nice!

- You changed from past to present tense when you said, "Dementis is huge", and later when you wrote "I usually find little things like secret notes between the kids’ and adult ward in the trash can". Double check for these, easy fix.

- I don't think using "blocking" here as an adjective works: "I tried to look deep into his gray eyes but failed as I realized that they were as hard and blocking as cement." Impenetrable, impermeable, dense? And is the grayness and hardness really a 'skill' he developed, or just a quality of his eyes?

- Nitpick #2 : I think the parents should have signed a 'contract', and not a lease? :p

- I found Kay to be a believable character, and well suited for the MC role with her uncaring and annoyed attitude. I loved how she says that she is "considered insane", as if she doesn't really believe that she is. And then she tells us that she passes her time by cartwheeling and running around the halls nonstop for most of her day. There's a hint of crazy in that, and she doesn't seem to realize it. I think this can be a set-up for some interesting character development - namely, her deteriorating mental state and gradual acceptance that she is, in fact, insane.

- Nitpick #3 : There's some syntactical ambiguity in this: "she stopped attempting to play nice and silently ate herself". It was kind of funny to imagine her literally eating herself. Try "and ate her food in silence" or something to get rid of the ambiguity.

- Nice little twist at the end when we 'met' Claire's imaginary friend. But I feel like you drove the point in too hard. Especially with "A blank space. A nonexistent thing. Nothingness." Just a thought.

Conclusion: great set-up, and expressed well. Not telling us the reason why Kay has been sent to the asylum was a good idea to keep readers interested. Good luck with this!

~a2sd

Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:37 am
TrinaleeHatch says...

that was great, i was just glued to my seat waiting for more. don't give up.
Jane

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:41 am
Andrea2676Marie wrote a review...

An excellent start to a story. I like the idea behind it all, I think it's really original. Good job. You should re-read and check a few minor grammatical errors, and I would also suggest fixing some of the quotations. Those darn quotations can be frustrating, I know. Overall though, I really enjoyed the read. Looking forward to reading more work from you. As always, good luck to you and your writing.

tacoguy1988 wrote a review...

I really want to know if Claire really saw Dmitri or if there is really nothing there. I am also wondering about why Kaya was sent there. Releasing only one chapter of a suspense story is such a tease. I really like it so far. Suspense novels take a lot of time to built up tension and questions, so far you are doing great and are right on track. Make sure you make the Dementis Asylum just as mysterious and the people before you reveal the secrets. You labeled this as horror but so far no horror. But its only the first chapter so can't knock you for that.

I should infinitely prefer a book.
— Mary Bennet, Pride and Prejudice