Peaceful Imaginings

by CaptainFinick

Dedicated to John and to Yoko

Imagine a world of peace.

Where the waves gently lap against the shores.

Where the sun shines on happier pastures of lush green grass.

And where a constant placidity gently caresses the blue, blue skies.

Imagine a world of peace.

Where the moonlight glistens the gentle lake.

Where the people live in calm like mindedness

And where our words are true.

Imagine a world for John.

Imagine a world for Yoko.

Imagine a world for yourself.

And a world for those that you love too.

yubbies21 wrote a review...

The opening line to this poem is probably the most profound thing in this work.

Imagine a world of peace.

It draws the reader in, having them starting their brains, challenging them, asking them what they think a world of peace is like. I sat here for a few minutes before continuing reading, pondering the meaning of life on this broken planet.

I love how you have periods at the ends of the lines but seem to continue the sentence.

I didn't quite understand this line until I read it over and over!

The final lines really wrap up this poem nicely, and give it a touch of wistful longings.

Imagine a world for yourself.

I really do want a place for myself and my loved ones too!

Thank-you for this above average poem that melts the heart. Dedicating it to John and Yoko really is so sweet. I'm sure they'd love it!

Happy review Day!

yubbies21

AmethystNight wrote a review...

This is a good, simplistic poem. It's to the point and doesn't hide behind anything fancy just says what it wants to say.

Imagine a world of peace.

If I were you I would swap the full stops at the end of the first three lines for commas. I just think that this would create a nice flow to piece. It's just an idea. Feel free to ignore it if you disagree.
Apart from that it was good.
Happy writing.

Blackwood wrote a review...

I have no idea who John and Yoko are. Maybe some explanation at the beginning or end would help.

The imagery you used is very good. I feel you portrayed this as too sweet and maybe something contradictory would help add a little highlight. For example, using something uncommonly used to describe good and happiness or something contrary to that in a way to really capture the essence. I do agree that in general some phrases are a bit cliche such as "lush green grass" but you also have your own unique touches such as

constant placidity gently caresses the blue, blue skies.

I really like that line.

waves gently lap against the shores.

You could find another way of saying this. It is very blunt and direct telling here. You could show us instead.

Anyway, good job and keep it up buddy.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:06 pm
arianaSarroyo wrote a review...

Hi there! I have to say, I really liked this! I liked how you dedicated it to John and Yoko. (At first I had to think of who Yoko was) But anyway, this is a sweet tribute. It is modeled after a song we see, but it has a bit of a personal touch. It is also full of imagery and descriptive language, more than I believe Lennon's song had. You can imagine that you're walking through a serene pasture where the skies are a bit bljer than normal and the waves gently touch the shore.
My favorite line was the ending-I thought it was a neat way to end the poem. Well done. I'm sure Lennon would have been proud! :)

ChasingLaci wrote a review...

I like this poem. Its simple and sweet, short and to the point. I will say that it is a bit too cliche for my taste but like I said i still like it. Thanks for the tip that you were listening to lennon before you wrote this, I can see that here clearly. I would suggest somehow making it a bit more meaningful, maybe throw in a line about people ilk show you were saying like mindedness. Or don't add anything and I still think you get the point across obviously...just saying maybe try it out if you want. I really like the ending here:

"And where our words are true.

Imagine a world for John.

Imagine a world for Yoko.

Imagine a world for yourself.

And a world for those that you love too."

At first i read "imagine a world for john" and I was like oh god, really? But then I kept reading and I think it was sweet and came together well at the end. I really like the line "for those that you love too" It left me feeling like "thats so sweet awww" after reading it. Thanks for sharing! :D

-Laci <3

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana