Home » Literary works » Poetry » Mystery / Suspense

Actions

by Buranko

I am frying my bubble gum
in the blood juice of
sugar and plum fairies.

I am boiling my hairy fruits
in the bitter tears of
bitter liquors

I am roasting my water
over the sins of 
people that committed them 

tweezers wrote a review...

Hi Buranko! Figured I'd throw a review here to get you out of the Green Room~

So usually I'm not the biggest fan of imagery that is sort of hard to follow along with? It can be difficult to understand whether it's being literal or more metaphorically, and blah blah all of that stuff. This is actually really neat though, and all of the imagery sort of loops back into making sense with each other despite being, well, very random.

I am frying my bubble gum
in the blood juice of
sugar and plum fairies.

What I can take from this is that maybe whoever is narrating is a child figure, or at least, retains some of that innocence. The mention of sugar plum fairies invokes a holiday cheer kind of feeling, and bubble gum is just bubble gum. I also think that goes along really well with the darker nature of the poem and how every stanza happens to progress in tune of what is happing - first the gum, ending on literal people.

I am boiling my hairy fruits
in the bitter tears of
bitter liquors

Like I said, a slow progression into something that gets more and more extreme. No one will look at someone boiling a fruit as something to worry about, so it's not the worst thing ever. Maybe someone would look at it as better, as it loses all of the childhood innocence I mentioned about the previous stanza - bitter tears and bitter liquors all point towards a spiraling addiction, which is unfortunate yet makes sense.

I am roasting my water
over the sins of
people that committed them

I love that you twisted this into being roasting the WATER instead of the people because it's really interesting and I actually don't really know what it means. The first thing I thought of was that maybe this is a nod at religious imagery and that the water symbolizes holy water, which pairs nicely with the sins referenced. It would also maybe point towards that the narrator might be trying to redeem their past actions of drinking and becoming addicted without actually getting the right help needed for the issue.

I'm not great at interpreting poetry, but that's all. Happy RevMo!
-- chi

Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:09 am
AilahEvelynMae wrote a review...

This was a super duper interesting read! Thanks for sharing. It’s quite unique and I really like it.

I enjoy how each section begins with the word I. This gives it a smooth feeling as I read. The first two also have the consistency of the word In as well.

It’s just so magically strange… like every sentence makes me really try and think. It makes me really try to picture what’s going on and honestly you’ve done an awesome job at that!

I applaud you for your great work :)

Ellie

Buranko says...

I am glad people actually enjoy my random imagery in poems. Ty for reading and leaving ur feedback <3

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
— Woodrow Wilson