12+

I'm not ready

by Bol

I opened my eyes, shooting up in my bed. My skin was cold and slick with sweat. My heart still raced in my chest, the blood pumping in my ears. I looked around fearfully for a few moments, before accepting that what had I had seen was nothing but a nightmare.

Moving to pull off the covers, I realised that I was already sleeping on top of them. I shrugged, must have crawled out of it during the night. I glanced once at the toilet nearby, rubbing my eyes blearily. Scratching my chin, I turned away from there. I didn’t need to brush my teeth anyway.

I pushed my room door open and cried out, recoiling and covering my burnt eyes. I rubbed them but the pain grew stronger. The light of the corridor seemed so bright, too bright. I held one arm against my forehead to shade my eyes and went out the corridor. Leaning over the railing, I shouted, “Hey Dad! What’s up with the lights?”

No response. Strange. He shouldn’t have left yet, it was still early. Frowning, I called for my father again but he didn’t answer. Must still be in bed, or in the toilet. I probably should wake him up if he was still asleep, but I was so hungry.

Following my daily routine, I sat on the smooth wood rails and let myself slide all the way down the flight of stairs, cringing slightly at the intensity of the lights above. Looking around, I saw a figure seated at the kitchen table. Her brown tresses, streaked with too much grey and silver for a woman her age, fell back across her back. I knew her, obviously. Slipping into one of the seats, I asked cheerily, “Morning, Mum. What’s for breakfast?”

She didn’t answer. Her head lay in her arms, her hair splayed out in a wild halo. I cocked my head. Was she asleep? How could anyone find rest in this searing light? Then I noticed something under one of her arms, a large glass bottle with some strange liquid still sloshing around inside. I sniffed once and recoiled. She smelled of something acrid and bitter to me, alcohol. My mother wasn’t one to drink, and at most just a sip or two of wine. But by her state it seemed she’d drunk half the huge bottle and spilled the rest on the table.

“Mom?”

I reached forward with one hand to shake her awake, letting my palm rest against her shoulder. Yelping, I fell forward suddenly, my weight pitching forth as I teetered on my seat. I managed to regain my balance, glad I didn’t hurt myself, then a more pressing question reached me. Why didn’t I feel my mother’s skin? I reached forward again, prepared this time, and let my fingers fall upon her. All five digits seemed to fall through her skin.

I screamed, loudly. Falling back off my chair, I pointed at my mother fearfully, “What the hell!”

She didn’t hear me, for she bore no reaction in her sleep of inebriation. I backed up till I could go no further, the stove at my back. I reached over to grab something for self-defence from whatever sat in that chair, grasping for a knife, but my fingers seemed to grasp air, passing through the rubbed handle of my weapon.

My skin paled and the pallor left it as I looked at the knife that had passed through my hand. I grasped again but my fingers yet again passed through the handle. No. The nightmare couldn’t be true.

I reached for another knife, a huge silver cleaver, but my digits phased through that as well. Then I realised something else. I couldn’t see my reflection in the cleaver’s mirror-like blade. I reached for another item, a bread knife, a butter knife, a steak knife, even a fork, my hand just passed through all of them like they were air. I swore and cussed like a sailor. This couldn’t be happening. I felt like crying as I saw myself unable to touch any item before me. My nightmare couldn’t have been real. It couldn’t have been.

“It’ll be alright, dear.”

I spun around and saw a man sitting with my mother, my father. His once strong features, so calm and regal and stern, were now shattered. His eyes seemed red and bloodshot. He wrapped one comforting arm around my mother and cooed, “It’ll be alright.”

She woke but barely moved. “How? How will it be alright? My baby, my sweet Baby…”

‘Baby’. That was her name for me. My heart raced even faster. I asked frantically, “Please. Tell me I’m here. Tell me you can see me. Tell me you can hear me.”

“Baby, my sweet little Baby, he didn’t deserve it…”

I slammed my fist on the table and yelled, “Hear me!”

They didn’t flinch. My father said, “The police are making an investigation now. They’ll catch the killer and he’ll be brought to justice.”

“But how about us! How about our Baby! We’ll never get him back. Never.”

I paced around, trying not to believe the truth. I put my head next to my father’s, yelling, “HEAR ME!”

He didn’t blink.

I slammed my fist into him, but it just passed straight through. I kicked at my mother but my foot just flew into empty air. I slammed my head into the table as hard I could but didn’t feel any pain. “This cannot be happening.”

My father didn’t answer my mother after that, both of them falling into a chilling silence. I paced around for a while, before falling into one of the chairs, letting my face and my tears fall into my hands. Before long a cold voice whispered, “It’s time.”

I looked up and saw a figure framed in the doorway. He was old, very very old. His face was a valley of wrinkles and his skin mottled with age. His eyes were sunken in but still had a sort of youthful air to them. He wore a sharp black suit that would have looked more at home on a 60s Chicago mobster and leaned heavily on a glossy cane, black as night. “I’ve come to collect you.”

I knew he was talking to me. I knew my parents couldn’t hear him. I knew what was coming. Stuttering, I protested, “I-I can’t go yet, my parents, they-”

“Are strong,” he finished, “Exceptionally so for humans their age. They will move on, in time. As you must as well.”

I shook my head frantically, getting up. I gestured at them, “I need more time! Just a few hours, please! To make my peace!”

“I’m truly sorry, child. It troubles me to take away one so young, but life is life, and death is death.”

No. No. No. I looked at my parents, wrapped in each other’s arms, mourning a son that didn’t breathe anymore. A son who saw them but they couldn’t see. “I didn’t even get to say goodbye.”

The Old Man didn’t say anything, he just stood there with a doleful expression on his face. I advanced to him, against my will, as if he were a giant magnet and I the metal.

I paled in anticipation for what lay beyond. “I’m not ready.”

He smiled grimly and his image seemed to flicker, for a moment he changed, growing taller and looming over me, his suit turning to a torn cloak and hood, his skin turning to shadows and his cane into a seven foot pole with a wicked scythe at its head. His tattered robe billowed and snapped in a wind I couldn’t feel, and the darkness within his cowl seemed to beckon and call to me, before he turned back into a harmless old man. “People are rarely ready. But when we cannot change things, we must learn to accept them and move on.”

I wrung my hands and looked one last time at my parents, before sliding my hand of smooth skin into the Old Man’s wrinkled palm.

Dreamy wrote a review...

Hey there Bol,

Dreamy here to review. You are good, ya know? And you are a good narrator. And this piece didn't fail to surprise me though it was cliched at the end. You had me surprised as in, I actually thought that your MC's mom was dead. And in the scene where his father comes around also made me believe that both of his parents were dead for some reason. And,

I reached for another item, a bread knife, a butter knife, a steak knife, even a fork, my hand just passed through all of them like they were air.

this is where I actually understood, who was dead and alive. :P So, I'd say that, it was a very good confusion you provided in the first paragraph were your MC wakes up but does not goes to brush his teeth. And I'd suggest you to elaborate the reason so as to why he found that he doesn't want to.

accepting that what had I had seen was nothing but a nightmare.

And this was the only nitpick I found.

Overall this was a very good story, what stood out the best was your narration. So keep up your good work!

Cheers!!! :D

Sureal wrote a review...

Just throwing a few opinions your way:

-> This reads like something I would have written. In fact, the first half is almost moment-for-moment identical to a story I wrote as a teenager. So that’s cool — great minds think alike, clearly.

-> On the flipside, I think the biggest weakness of the story is also one of the things I used to have real trouble with. Namely, it’s the way the narrator acts; your narrator is following a script, behaving in a manner that lets you progress the story the way you want it to progress, rather than behaving in a realistic manner.

This is quite a difficult point to understand, I know. My advice is, step-by-step, consider if your protagonist is behaving in a realistic way. In particular, things that stood out to me were:

- The protagonist shouting for his father first thing in the morning. People usually don’t shout that early in the morning, right after waking up. The morning is generally a quiet, sombre time. From a story point of view, I know why you had your character shout for his father — to build up a mystery about why your protagonist didn’t get a reply — but I’m not sure it’s realistic behaviour.

- The protagonist’s mother is pretty much catatonic in her chair, head on table, and the protagonist doesn’t realise until he’s sat down and asked her a question. I think this would be more noticeable, and the protagonist would see something is wrong almost as soon as she saw his mother. Again, I can see why you did this — you wanted to carry on building that mystery, and have a slow burn up to the reveal.

- The protagonist attempts to grasp knife after knife after knife. Whilst a dramatic image, again, it doesn’t make sense. He wasn’t under attack from anyone, so I was confused as to why he went for a knife — that wouldn’t exactly protect him from being immaterial, after all — and was also confused by why he tried over and over with the exact same result. Even though it’s dramatic, I don’t think anyone would behave this way.

-> So now we’ve established that point, what can be done to rectify it? Thankfully, this is the sort of thing that is quite easily mended with a little bit of thought. Constantly ask yourself why your character is doing a particular thing. To give a few quick examples of how I think these scenes could be made more believable:

- Rather than having the protagonist shout to his father about the lights, have him wonder internally about it (this still builds up mystery as it is establishing it’s unusual), and then perhaps have him begin to ask his mother about it when he’s downstairs, when he realises something is horribly wrong with her, so he stops mid-sentence to ask her if she’s okay. A lack of response from her could result in him putting his hand on her shoulder, and then freaking out when it goes through her.

- Rather than grasping for weapon after weapon after weapon, perhaps have the protagonist freak out, try to grab his mother again, fail again, back away and accidentally go through something (such as a table, or perhaps a wall).

These are just suggestions, of course; I would suggest musing on the matter, and seeing what you come up with yourself. It’s generally quite a tricky thing to get right — it’s something most amateur, and even some professional, writers struggle with — and will require practice and thought on your part, but once you’ve got it down it will strengthen your stories considerably.

-> By and large, though, I did enjoy the story. But then, I’m a sucker for dark, macabre mysteries like that. ;)

AEChronicle wrote a review...

This story was quite interesting and fun to read.

I like that you framed up Death to be an old man, as this is much more realistic and intriguing than the Grim Reaper. I would have liked you to have put more actual sorrow in him, though, as,

“I’m truly sorry, child. It pains me to take away one so young, but life is life, and death is death.”

Isn't very descriptive. Death says, "It pains me..." but that's not what comes through the writing. It just seems like he's treating it like an office job at his desk. It's not that fun, but what the heck, they pay him for it. He should me much more sorrowful and depressed because of the task he has been given.

I like that you stayed true to the old "ghost" theme, that is, someone dying and still being "there" but not physically present. But,

"I reached for another item, a bread knife, a butter knife, a steak knife, even a fork, my hand just passed through all of them like they were air."

Here, things don't make sense. If his hands are passing through all of the objects he tries to pick up, then how come he isn't passing through the walls, or the furniture, or the floor? Just something to think about when writing like this.

Plus, you don't "pass through air." You only displace it, as there is a lot of matter floating around. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the story.

Overall, I've heard this same story retold a thousand times, unfortunately, so I wasn't all to excited about reading through it all. It's not your fault or your story's fault, you just have to pay attention to this sort of thing when you sit down and decide to write something. You could remedy this problem, though, by explaining a little more about his arrival at death, rather than just the circumstances that follow.

Hoped this helped, and good job writing!

Thank you Bol!

Bol says...

Thanks for the review AEChronicle, really thankful.
On the subject of how he couldn't grip any of the items before him but didn't pass through everything else was that from the moment he woke up till the moment where he saw his mother he was completely convinced he was still a living breathing thing so his body continued going through the motions of regular life, the idea was that he was forcing himself to do what he'd done every other day. But when he actually tried to manipulate something outside his body he failed.

AEChronicle says...

Sounds like you've put some thought into this. Since it's a short story, and you don't have more chapters to explain this to your reader, it might be a good idea to add some sort of Q and A between the main character and himself, of maybe even Death, just so they understand better. In any case, it makes sense now, and I'm glad to see that you've actually thought about it yourself. Good job.

That awkward moment when you jump out a window because your friend jumped out a window, then you remember that your other friend can fly.
— Rick Riordan, The Ship of the Dead