z

Young Writers Society



The Joker: An inner monologue.

by Ashkitten83


Its 3:00 am, curious thoughts running through my mind.

Answers to Paradoxical riddles impossible to find.

Push pause, then stop, then play, and then rewind.

Every game has a royal flush, a full-house and a two of a kind.

So many things to contemplate, is it by choice or is it fate?

Doubt leads to undoubtedly new terrain, where it crosses the black and white borders of remarkably insane.

Will I live? or will I die? Will I fall or will I fly?

A grim smile marks the memories of my bitter past.

Will this day be better than the last?

Eyes trained to only see in the dark abyss.

A maniacal laughter escapes my lips.

Hahahahaha Why so serioussssss?

A tick , a tock

a small cell block.

A ding, a dong

A slow fuse bomb.

A smile, a frown a princely clown.

Is chaos so chaotic if it gets people to move?

Is it really a crime if there's nothing to prove?

An anarchy circus with nothing to lose.

A poker face, when you're not able to choose?

A face behind a clown mask, a mask behind that face,

Lets just pour some gasoline and set fire to this whole place.

A memory so dark that it could never see the light.

Would you believe as a child i was afraid of the night?

Now I rule it with a sharp wit and an even sharper knife!

A soul taken, in exchange for a tortured life.

Laughter is what keeps me alive!!!

You have to depart before you can arrive.

My mind lost in a mix between shadows and lunacy enveloping my brain.

No one gets the joke? Hahahaha Its so funny Seriously? Now that's what I call insane.

How can no one get it? Am I charged with getting them to see?

That is why I (Yes I) created Batman, The Batman wouldn't exist without me!!!

Isn't everyone only one or two traumatic life-changing events or one bad day away from madness?

To keep from being touched by the sadness?

Paint on a face that's always smiling, and then my friend your mind has won, because when you look at the clock now you can laugh because ...its only 3:01


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 404
Reviews: 8

Donate
Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:00 am
RainbowOfGayness wrote a review...



Hello Ashkitten83. RainbowOfGayness here.
As a huge fan of Batman and The Joker, this is absolutely fantastic! I love this so much. The rhymes, the use of the "Why so seriousssss" and the "The Batman wouldn't exist without me!!!" It gives us a very detailed look into the mind of Joker. I love it all. The entire poem is amazing. I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. You keep writing, my friend.




Ashkitten83 says...


Omg! Thanks so much! That's very sweet if you to say! It's funny, I haven't written in months and I was starting to feel like I wasn't worth a crap at writing and then I logged in and saw it comment and it literally made me well up with tears. Thank you for making my day. I was so close to giving it up...<3



Ashkitten83 says...


My auto correct is going to be the death of me I swear... I meant that's very sweet of you to say* and I saw your comment and it literally made me well up with tears.*



User avatar


Points: 278
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sun May 24, 2015 9:07 pm
Marissa says...



This is fricken awesome! I have to admit I was slightly skeptical when I saw it was about one of my favourite villains but I thought 'well I ought to give it a shot' and I'm sooo glad I did! I love this so much. I could see this as his inner musings without question.




Ashkitten83 says...


Wow! Thank you so much, that really made my day :)



User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 374
Reviews: 32

Donate
Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:22 pm
haven235 wrote a review...



Heya!

Saw this and I was like "Hm. A poem about the Joker, the Clown Prince of Crime, one of my favorite villains of all time (rhyme not intended)," so I checked it out, obviously, and here are some things that you might want to take a second look at:

Firstly, you should fix the formatting. I know it's tedious, but it helps reviewers like me know where each stanza starts and ends. And in this case, this is a problem since your rhyming scheme is not that consistent - at least it doesn't seem consistent. To me the rhyme scheme looks it's an AABBC, but again I'm not that sure.

Also your rhythm is a bit off at some points, specifically at the really long lines e.g.

Doubt leads to undoubtedly new terrain, where it crosses the black and white borders of remarkably insane.


To be honest with you, I'm not an experienced poet. I've only started fiddling around with the genre and I myself am still discovering new things. But from what I've learned, rhythm must be there if you already tried to have one. Trailing off will hurt the read, which hurts your poem. Not sure if this analogy works but, think of it as an accompanied music solo: you can do your own thing, but you still have to follow the background, or else it'll be a mess.

And now for the poem itself:

At first I didn't know what the Joker was talking about. In the beginning two lines I thought that it was Batman talking, going through surveillance footage trying to solve another one of Nigma's riddles, or something like that. I know this is an inner monologue, but it didn't sound like it was the Joker talking. He wouldn't review things. He does things spontaneously, or so we think.

If I'm confusing you I'm sorry. This is a compliment. Your poem shows Joker's thinking process in a new light. Yes, he's random, but he also has some sort of general goal. For every other detail he just goes with the flow.

But why is he questioning himself? Why is he insecure about what he does? Joker is supposed to be crazy, oblivious to all consequences. Unless you wanted to give him a human side, which I personally don't like. I imagined him to be completely detached.

Eyes trained to only see in the dark abyss.


This I don't completely understand. Is this that Joker always views things in the negative aspect, or that he was born to do evil things?

Hahahahaha Why so serioussssss?


And this seems out of place, unless you're trying to say that even though Joker is a pessimist, he disregards that and laughs instead, which contradicts your previous stanza.

Or, you're doing this to show that Joker's mind is all over the place, and he's just spouting nonsense, because of your next stanza:

A smile, a frown a princely clown.


The last item in the list does not fit with the others, and you suddenly transition to another idea.

Is chaos so chaotic if it gets people to move?


But this line really didn't make any sense. In fact that section (from that line to "able to choose") didn't make sense. The crime part made me think that Joker hides all evidence. Ok. And then the anarchy circus with nothing to lose, you're being redundant because you've already said so many times that Joker doesn't care what happens. And then you say that it's not Joker's choice to be so oblivious...

So what is it? Did Joker decide to become a villain, or was it pre-decided? Are we to know, or like him, to be questioning too?

And then towards the end, even though there's chaos going through the Joker's mind, only a minute has passed.

I'll bet that what's funny to him is that people are so overanalyzing. If so, I guess I'm to be laughed at as well.

Besides that analysis, I hope that this review was helpful.

Keep writing,

-Haven




Ashkitten83 says...


I do appreciate you taking the time to review my work. I lazily did not separate the stanzas and for that I apologize. In poetry the rhyme scheme can change as long as it's consistent within the stanza but I didn't specify stanzas so how would you have known that's what I was doing? Doubt leads to undoubtedly new terrain, where it crosses the black and white borders of remarkably insane" should've been separated into 2 lines, again I apologize. As for his human side, yes I do believe that even a sociopath can contemplate his life. I know that he isn't capable as emotions such as love or compassion, but a sociopath still has feelings, just not empathetic ones.He is still a person, not a machine, or a robot. He isnt just crazy, he has a purpose into everything he does. He was manipulative enough to convince Harley Quinn to fall in love with him and break him out of Arkham asylum, so I'd say that he definitely is able to think things through. I believe his character is terrrribly misunderstood by most people. He does block his emotions from other people, so much so that he won't even tell the truth about himself ever. He has once said everyone has a past, he just prefers his to be multiple choice. The making of a sociopath? Trauma so intense and so profound, they don't want to remember the truth. He detached himself from that aspect of his life but it still lives on in his hatred of good, his distrust for others, and the fact that the only person he will ever be close enough to, to really know him is himself and ironically enough, batman. Because batman is the same soul on the other side of the spectrum. He had a life changing traumatic event change his life, and the joker even irritatingly brings it up hoping it will infuriate batman, but a long time ago both of them made a choice. Eyes trained to only see in the dark abyss means, that he is enveloped in darkness and he has been there so long he can never go back to the light. Kinda like when your eyes are in the dark then when you go into the light it kinda hurts...like that. The line hahahahaha why so serious, is line that verbally comes out of his mouth even though the rest is in his head, it's a trademark signature of the joker. It's a look at what comes out and what stays inside his head. The prt where it says a smile, a frown, a princely clown. It just gives you an idea of how his thoughts are all over the place but they mostly center around himself, because he is by nature, selfish. Is chaos so chaotic if it gets people to move? Means he is questioning why is causing chaos bad if it wakes people up out of their him drum lives and gets their blood pumping.
In the next line is it really crime if there's nothing to prove? Means that he is justifying crime vs the law keepers. If there were no cops to prove that anyone did anything it would be total anarchy, which is the next line an anarchy circus with nothing to lose. He is saying if everything went to total anarchy, he would have nothing to lose because he doesn't have anyone he loves in his life, if someone killed Harley he would probably feel more inconvenienced than any feeling of true loss. A poker face when you're not able to choose. Is saying that he isnt going to show emotion at all ( poker face) and not able to choose refers to the cards he was dealt in life. Hope that cleared it all up for you. Thank you again for taking the time to critique my work. Have an awesome day!!!



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:48 pm
View Likes
erilea says...



This deserves so many likes the Joker can't even laugh.

:D




Ashkitten83 says...


Thank you!



User avatar
257 Reviews


Points: 6130
Reviews: 257

Donate
Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:44 pm
Tuesday wrote a review...



Hello Tuesday here for a review. I like to begin that I don't really do reviews on dark poems like this one YET this one seemed to catch my eye in the poems since I love the Joker or anything Batman related. Anyway, i like the idea of going into the mind of him and within that minute of his mind, there are many things that one person can think of (many poems try to do this and sometimes, they don't use it nicely). Also the some imagery within this poem too (very little) but that little can make a different.

Nitpick(s):

a full, house and a two of a kind.
I don't think you need the comma there since it would sound the same without it (maybe you are trying to make a breathe mark there or something.)

That is why I (Yes I) created Batman, The Batman wouldn't exist without me!!!
maybe changing this to That is why I, yes myself, created Batman who wouldn't exist without me! or something.

Also throughout the poem, there are many misuses of punctuation and that could be a little chucking in a sense also some of the stanza seem to be more like story lines instead of poem lines (that is just me since I don't enjoy poems like that-- but this one really excited me)

Overall, I enjoyed this since we can go into the mind of the Joker and realize that he (maybe) did create the Batman since without him, how would he be the Joker? Also, like i said before, all of this goes into 1 minute which is quite amazing as i had said.

Welcome to YWS and I hope you enjoy the stay here with us since we are all crazy here (more than others but still).

Farewell,
Tuesday




Ashkitten83 says...


Thank you for being brutally honest, there are a few things I need to fix, thank u for pointing it out to me <3



Random avatar

Points: 4091
Reviews: 118

Donate
Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:41 pm
View Likes
Reet3103 wrote a review...



WOAH, let me tell you this. This was something :D

Okay I loved this realllyyyy. It had a mixture of terror and charm at the same time. The flow of words and the way you've rhymed it is brilliant.

"A tick , a tock

a small cell block.

A ding, a dong

A slow fuse bomb.

A smile, a frown a princely clown."

THIS PART. If you say it out loud in different tones, it still seems terrific and that's just amazing. And that's how you determine if this is true horror or not.

"Paint on a face that's always smiling, and then my friend your mind has won, because when you look at the clock now you can laugh because ...its only 3:01"

The ending, the way you've put it is awesome. It brings out the real state of mind of the joker. The way in a minute all the thoughts have just rushed through his mind. The way you wrote the whole thing, it didn't seem for a minute that it was rushed. That's good. And it was a pleasant surprise. It makes the joker look terrifyingly smart and weird at the same time.

Bless me with your rhyming skills please? I bless you with smiles :)




Ashkitten83 says...


Thank you for being my first review!! I wish blessings of rhyming brilliance onto you. This review really made my day. Thank you!!!




cron
*CLUCKING INTENSIFIES*
— Snoink