z

Young Writers Society



18 Stories, Lips do tell

by Ashkitten83


I.

A puff of cold air hovered over his lips, purple, cold and numb. That would be his last and final breath, his body giving in to the soft white frozen ground.

II.

The lovers' lips pressed together passionately, as their hearts danced in a symbiotic union of two adjoining souls.

III.

A peanut butter and jelly sandwich causing sticky lips to smack, while humming the itsy bitsy spider. The purple imprint of those grape jelly lips, left on the carnation pink shirt that the blonde haired toddler used as a napkin.

IV.

Old wrinkled lips making-known stories of the past.

V.

Rose petals protruding out of the snow on top of a gravestone, like ruby red lips saying softly "Rest in peace, my love."

VI.

Falsehoods like poison being expelled from his lips. He believed his own lies, as he spoke so eloquently, convincing me that he could be trusted.

VII.

Lips swollen, bloodied, and throbbing. "Meet me at the play ground after school" were the words that he was not able to avoid.

VIII.

She beckoned him over to her side with her plump lips, pouted and pursed to play on his fantasies of other things those lips were capable of.

IX.

The dew on the grass each dawn, like the imprint of sweet peppermint kisses left by the lips of the morning sky.

X.

She had succumbed to the impossible standard of perfection of the world. "A necessary procedure," the girl told herself looking in the mirror, as she removed the bandages and smiled with her newly inflated, silicone lips.

XI.

The paintbrush shaded the lips of the unknown girl in the painting. Each stroke similar to the wave of a conductors hand, gently guiding an orchestra into a perfect symphony of emotion and musical vibrations.

XII.

I rejected his attempt to kiss me. His lips were unwanted, and uninvited, but found their way sloppily onto my body as I danced. His lips leaving behind a trail of alcohol infused slobber, and a feeling of disgust in the pit of my stomach.

XIII.

The child saw the man dressed in black enter in through his bedroom window. He closed his eyes and pretended he was asleep but in that moment of fear, he could not tame his quivering lips.

XIV.

Lips moistened with salty tears. Kisses on a crying girls cheek. A comfort from a friend.

XV.

Quibbling lips that snap at a child's objections like a lizard catching flies.

XVI.

A joke, or funny moment in life upturning once frowning lips, widespread in laughter. A smile now at-the-ready.

XVII.

Princess lips changing the fate of a frog for  a fairy tale happily-ever-after.

XVIII.

Seashells strewn across the shore like a necklace made of tiny, wild pink lips, being kissed each time the ocean waves gently crash onto the sand.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
257 Reviews


Points: 6130
Reviews: 257

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:11 am
Tuesday wrote a review...



Hello Tuesday here for a review. i like to begin that this poem is descriptive since i can imagine most of the uses for a lip in this poem since the reader could imagine (imagery if you want to see here) also how you used some uses of the lip as a metaphorical term for something else which is spot on for anyone who chooses to write like that. Also i enjoyed that there are snippets of poetry and some could be the beginning of a short story or could theme for something. Plus I enjoyed the ways you describe what one lip can go through, without even moving (besides talking).

Most poems that i read, there are nitpicks or mistakes that would need to be fixed (or mostly due to the fact, that they take in the reviewers thought on how to change whatever they must change within their poem) however, this poem and the reviews i have seen, i would say that you have fixed anything that would need to be fixed. there are many ways of using a lip or a mouth, and they go through so much without anyone to realize it and i find it awesome that you wrote these ways in a poem like form.

Overall, from what i have said, i would say that this is a well-written poem and the imagery within this poem is breathtaking since someone could imagine what you have wrote or could use these ideas your wrote and put them into a story that someone could read.

Farewell,
Tuesday




Ashkitten83 says...


Thank you Tuesday! You totally made my day. I happen to be struggling with some things right now so I havent been on here at all but it was such a good feeling to read such a positive review and it really uplifted me during this rough time Im having. Thank you again <3 i miss the group



User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 32
Reviews: 47

Donate
Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:05 am
View Likes
RebelWriter wrote a review...



First hands and now lips...perhaps next noses? I liked it.
A peanut butter and jelly sandwich causing sticky lips to smack, while humming the itsy bitsy spider. The purple imprint of those grape jelly lips, left on the carnation pink shirt that the blonde haired toddler used as a napkin.
I liked this line the most, probably because I have younger siblings with which this can relate. That's the joy of writing though. When people can relate to your words, it's a beautiful thing. A complement to our skills as authors and writers.
Lips swollen, bloodied, and throbbing. "Meet me at the play ground after school" were the words that I was not able to avoid.
Indeed many kids today experience this feeling if dread. It's really too bad it happens at all. I didn't see any grammar errors,others might but I didn't. I thought this was good. Very good. Looking forward to reading more of your works, feel free to read/review mine ;) :)




Ashkitten83 says...


Thank you so much. I really appreciate this amazing review. I am very happy you enjoyed it.



User avatar
863 Reviews


Points: 29221
Reviews: 863

Donate
Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:54 am
View Likes
Morrigan wrote a review...



Hello!

Having just reviewed Widdershins' hand poem, I decided to check out your viewings of lips.

I really liked some of your descriptions that you use, especially when they're not actually about lips.

That being said, there are a few things that could be changed for the better.

A lot of the snippets didn't really feel like poetry. They felt more like microfictions. Like the drunk one, and the plastic surgery. Oh, and they use botox for that, not silicone.

What's brilliant about these kinds of poems is the pure observational nature of them. I didn't get that from this one. I felt biases here, and it made it less enjoyable. I would go back, maybe after you've let it sit for a while, as it's difficult to pick up on our own biases, and try to make this purely observational. Enjoy the moment, even if you might think it disgusting. Everything can be fascinating, even beautiful, if you look close enough.

I hope that this review proves useful to you! Happy YWSing!




Ashkitten83 says...


I was,
Indeed inspired by Widdershins poem, but I turned mine into,a little something different. Stories can be poetry, and these 18 different moments are pieces of stories, but because they are only pieces, by themselves can not be a story but instead 18 stories, lips do tell. hence the name of the poem. Thats why i decided not to call it 18 ways to look at lips, because it wasnt exactly the sane kind of poem.



Ashkitten83 says...


And lip implants can be silicone. Its a more permanent fix than botox injections.



Ashkitten83 says...


And lip implants can be silicone. Its a more permanent fix than botox injections.



Morrigan says...


Sorry I offended you. I just gave you my opinion, and that's the best I can do.



Ashkitten83 says...


Oh no, i wasnt offended my dear. I was just explaining that my poem isnt exactly like the observation poems that inspired it. Thats why i changed the name...18 ways to look at lips wouldnt have fit because look at means to observe unbias as you said, but stories are a bit bias because they tell a story from the perspective of the storyteller, not an observer.




I didn't know beards could do that ;)
— ShadowVyper