Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » General

Imperfections within Snow

by AndyS6

Look out the window and see the backyard. A backyard covered in a layer of untouched snow. It covers everything: the ground, the trees, the deck, the fence, and the roof. It makes everything look perfect and different. A good kind of different. People like the different. Looking back at the snow, it looks as if it is at peace. One can observe the like small soft bumps in the snow causing it to not be a completely perfectly flat surface. It gives it definition. It changes it. Even though the top layer is not touched or broken, there are still imperfections--imperfections deep down. The snow is not flat, it is not a perfect layer underneath. From observing it on the outside we can see perfection, but even within what we deem as ‘perfection” still has imperfections. One could say the bumps are the struggles of the person and it still shows that even in the idols we have and the people we deem as “perfect” still are human with: imperfections, struggles and problems. Even the snow is not truly perfect, so do not expect yourself to be perfect. You are you; with all your imperfections and flaws. Do not hate or dislike yourself for that. Everyone has them. Everyone has different struggles and pains. Do not be ashamed of yourself. Be yourself. Love yourself.

Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:44 pm
anne27 wrote a review...

Wow! This shook me more than icy winds do!!
Wonderful message.
Hey there! Anne here for a review.

I loved your choice of words to write this. I feel the similar when I look at the moon, you know its the topic of poems so often treated as the perfect beautiful object sometimes. But if your vision is clear you can't miss the imperfections, the craters even with unaided eyes. And that thought had made me love my scars. So this was too relatable for me. In short, I loved it.

Even though the top layer is not touched or broken, there are still imperfections--imperfections deep down.

I love the metaphor here. More than often, people that appear perfect are the ones who have most negative e emotions. Or inner faults. Like voids in the snow. That seems to appear perfect.

One could say the bumps are the struggles of the person and it still shows that even in the idols we have and the people we deem as “perfect” still are human with: imperfections, struggles and problems

This was fabulous too. Yups, so true. However, we can't see that so we think it doesn't exist. Only yesterday, I was watching a video which was a call-out to people who are too obsessed with looks. They find themselves ugly and think that a handsome person will always be more successful due to his/her good looks. It said, and I totally agree, that you can't oversimplify the idea of success. It doesn't come just by a single trait. Fame as mentioned here. What we actually do by judging people that way is undermine their success and make an excuse for our negligible progress.

I like the message. Imperfection is the true perfection

Kudos to you to write so beautifully. :D
Keep writing because you're good at it.

AndyS6 says...

Thank you so much. I am so glad you like my message and what I was trying to get across. It was just a spur of the moment thought when looking out my window at the snow.

I couldn't agree more. We so often judge people by judging what we see and forget there is so much more to a person that what is visible to the eye--in a physical and metaphorical sense.

anne27 says...

Your welcome... Hmm so true!

Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:35 am

Hi! I'm here with a review!

First Impression: Well this seems like a really interesting piece. I'm not quite sure what category it even belongs to but I don't know if its an article or essay. But that's not really a big deal so there's no need to worry about that. The message here seems like a really good one on first glance and I do like the comparison that you made.

Alright, so I think this is a fantastic example here that you have used. The way that you relate the snow looking perfect and having imperfections really comes through here and I think it ties in really well to the point that you're trying to make. The advice at the end is also pretty nice, I think that's a wonderful message to be putting out there and it would do people a lot of good to think like that.

Overall: Overall this was a really fun read and I like the idea that you tried to present. I think you did a pretty good job presenting it as well and it was something that was pretty nice to hear. Anyways I believe that's all I've got to say for this pretty short piece.

AndyS6 says...

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it. I don't know what category it is either lol. But I am glad the message was able to get across well. :)

"In my contact with people I find that, as a rule, it is only the little, narrow people who live for themselves, who never read good books, who do not travel, who never open up their souls in a way to permit them to come into contact with other souls -- with the great outside world."
— Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery