z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Sky Sailor

by AlyTheBookworm


Hi. Here's the first chapter (unfinished?) of a short story I've recently started writing. Not too sure about the title yet and I haven't edited this nearly as much as I usually do, but feel free to tear it apart. :)

Btw: I don't know anything about ships or sailing, so please correct me if something doesn't make sense.

Chapter 1 - Sky Sailor

  A red airship drifted in the night- a drop of blood in an ocean of ink.

I lay curled on the floorboards of the tiny ship, which was a fragile shell of wood and fabric compared to the endlessness of the sky. Mountains of cloud loomed above me, the lights of distant stars so faint I could barely make them out.

I liked to pretend that the stars were the souls of other sky-sailors. I imagined that they hung the lights on the sides of their ships as a signal. A message.

You are not alone.

Lies. Much of my life was lies. I had created them for myself.

Because those beautiful illusions were all that kept me whole when I sailed alone in dark skies.

-

I woke to light and chilly air.

Kyo and Kya. I’ll see them today. I cheered up at that thought, stifling a yawn as I hauled myself up from the pile of ragged blankets. After pulling on a faded dress and twisting my hair into a braid, I eyed my reflection in a shard of mirror I had found at Whiterock.

Such solemn eyes this girl has. She should smile.

The sky was clear, the sun was bright, and I would be reunited with Kyo and Kya, my canid puppies, soon.

A hesitant smile stole its way onto mirror girl’s face.

Isn’t that better? Don’t be so grim that your own reflection scares you, Reysa.

I put away the piece of mirror and glanced at my little airship.

Covered in peeling red paint, it was made of old wood and frayed rope. The four sails- the mainsail, wings, and tail- were all the same faded red color, interspersed with squares of gray cloth from all the times they had needed to be repaired. Only twelve feet long at most, Drifter was patched and worn like most of my possessions.

Ma and Pa had never taught me how to sail.

Years ago, when supplies were running low, I had dug the airship out of the shed and taught myself.

I now knew how to steer using the tiller, how to adjust the sail and the wings on the outside of the ship, how to turn the valve on the metal box to descend and ascend. I refilled the container of red powder in the box every week- but I didn’t know much else.

The box, the powder, all of the questions that would never be answered..

No. Someday, I will learn. They will teach me. After they return, I’ll never let them fly again without me. I’ll become a sky-sailor like them, and we’ll leave Santhil. Explore the world.

Glancing at the compass built into the side, I shifted the tail- a huge fin-shaped sail that extended well below Drifter- using the tiller. Then I sat back and watched as the world passed by, blanketed in blue and spread out like a map beneath me.

Spotted with bits of rock and barren islands, the Eredian sea was a dark blue- reflected sunlight dancing on its waves. It stretched on into the distance, calm and quiet.

After a while of thoughtfully watching sky and sea, I pulled my sketchbook out and skimmed through the weathered pages to pass time.

There were pages upon pages of Kyo and Kya, running, playing, fighting, hunting. There were sketches of Cloudfins, graceful in their layers of flapping wings as they glided from tree to tree. A drawing of Drifter, carrying me, my canids, and two indistinct figures across the sea. To the places I’d only read about. To cities full of people and life.

Something twisted in my heart, and I stuffed the sketchbook away.

I looked out to the horizon, the sun, the sea below. So very beautiful. So silent and still. Uncaring, unmoving, eternal. The joy from moments before now seemed tainted.

When had I last been called by name?

Reysa. Daughter. Friend.

When had I last spoken to a person other than myself?

I don’t remember.

A strong gust of wind crashed into my ship.

I was thrown to the side, but managed to grab the mast. The airship spun through open air like a leaf in a storm- a speck against an endless sky. The sail caught the wind, ropes stretched tight as Drifter was battered back and forth. For what felt like an eternity, I was frozen at the sight of dark water waiting miles below.

I shook myself, forgetting fear for the moment. Gritting my teeth, I grasped for the sail, hurriedly pulling it down and binding it to the sides of the ship with the rest of my supplies. Then I reached over Drifter’s side to pull in the wings. The airship settled, righting itself as the unnatural gale died away- just as quickly as it had come.

I let myself breathe again, numb with shock. What was that?

Dark clouds were gathering in the distance where the sky had been clear moments before. The breeze whispered- steadily gaining strength, a harbinger of the tempest to come.

I need to get home.

Santhil wasn’t far. I unwrapped the sail and set up the wings once again. Then I sat down at the back of the ship and turned the tiller, which was connected to both wings and tail. Drifter began to head east.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:27 pm
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi AlyTheBookworm,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

Don't ask me how I always manage to find anything to read. So let's get started. :D

That was a very active first chapter you presented here. The storytelling you present here is in many ways developed and connected to the plot itself, without any kind of pause to bring the pace to a halt, to introduce more about the character.

Reysa comes across to me as a very sensible girl, (young woman?) and yet somewhat divided in the things she does. She seems strong willed and shows great charisma. I think it's good that you get to know all this in her thoughts alone.

This alternating attempt between her inner world and the outer world makes for a very dynamic first chapter. As this serves as an introduction to draw the reader in for future chapters, I think you have already done well here to include a lot of information in an interesting and well-developed way to maintain this reading flow. While reading, I also had a strange idea in my head about how the story could develop, but I think I'll keep it to myself.

I would think that you just need to work a bit on making the descriptions a bit more vivid and deeper in detail so as not to bring a constant repetition.

Other points I noticed while reading:

A red airship drifted in the night- a drop of blood in an ocean of ink.

You start off with a very great introduction! :D

Covered in peeling red paint, it was made of old wood and frayed rope. The four sails- the mainsail, wings, and tail- were all the same faded red color, interspersed with squares of gray cloth from all the times they had needed to be repaired.

One thing that struck me is the descriptions you include. Firstly, it's good that you do that because it gives you an overview of where the story is going, but I think you could try to expand that a bit in places or try to use a richer selection of adjectives to present something. Because you start the story with "red", here you also write "red" and later you talk about "red powder". To avoid unnecessary repetition, I would advise you to go deeper into one colour. Here, for example, "cherry red" or "vermilion" or something like that. There are no limits to your imagination.

I had dug the airship out of the shed and taught myself.
I now knew how to steer using the tiller, how to adjust the sail and the wings on the outside of the ship, how to turn the valve on the metal box to descend and ascend.

You mention at the beginning that you don't know much expertise when it comes to sailing, and here you mention that Reysa taught herself. This is the perfect opportunity to share this expertise with Reysa and to use this "knowledge" more and more in the course of the story.

the Eredian sea

As this is a proper name, the "Sea" must also be capitalised.

Have fun writing!

Mailice






Thanks for the review :)



User avatar


Points: 200
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:19 pm



You're writing is so nice! Keep up the good work!






Thanks so much! :D



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 222
Reviews: 25

Donate
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:47 pm
vetas wrote a review...



Hi AlyTheBookworm!

First of all, Good job! I will try to review a bit and I will try not to repeat a lot of the things Zoom mentioned. (Isn't Zoom so good!? If only I could be at that level)

Ok here we go.

There are a few things I look for in a story, especially the very beginning. I believe that is one of the most important parts. If you don't catch the reader, they wont read on.

1) The first sentence. I love how you described the ship in the night sky! But I wouldn't use it as a first sentence. I would add that somewhere in the first paragraph. I love how the first paragraph starts though. In my opinion, that should be the very first thing people should read.

2) For me personally, it's hard to stay interested when not much is going on. (I'm saying there are different styles and interests people have) Maybe she could move to other parts of the ship. I like the description of the scenery, but I want something more. It's hard for me to explain, but like I said, this is a personal preference.

3) I don't like how the wind crashed into the boat. Just the use of the word crashed pops out at me. I don't usually visualize wind crashing into something. My opinion is you could describe that better.

Overall I think it was very good. makes me wonder about the whole thing. Flying ships? What else do they have? I want to know more! So good job! Keep writing!

Have a great day!






Thanks for the feedback! :)



User avatar
154 Reviews


Points: 10017
Reviews: 154

Donate
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:26 am
View Likes
Zoom wrote a review...



Hey, Zoom here for a review.

I just want to say before you read my review, I am going to point out a few problems but I see a lot of potential with this story and would like to be tagged in future chapters, please.

Here we go.

My airship drifted in ink-black night


This is quite clunky. "ink-black night" is a mouthful.

My airship drifted in ink-black night, surrounded by mountains of cloud and the lights of distant stars.


Actually, this entire first sentence isn’t working for me. I cannot visualise what this airship might look like. Also, it is said that opening with descriptions of the sky is cliché. It’s been a go-to for me in the past but hey ho.

And the adjective choice “distant” is pretty useless. Adjectives & adverbs have to earn their right to be in your story. “Distant” doesn’t add much to the reader’s imagination here.

Also you may want to check out the actual structure of your prose. You have introduced a lot of nouns in your opening hook, and with a very similar adjective + noun repetition. It makes the sentence very busy.

Finally, I’m a very strong believer in the opening hook introducing a pivotal element to the story, such as setting, conflict or tone etc, or you can raise a question that the reader will want to know the answer to. Airships sound pretty interesting but I still feel you could do more to grab people’s attention.

I liked to think of the stars as the souls of other sky-sailors. I imagined that they hung the lights on the sides of their ships as a signal. A message. You are not alone.

Lies. Much of my life was lies. But that was necessary.


This unintentionally reminded me a lot of the Lion King. Not an issue, just an FYI.

The contradiction of both of these sentences is quite jarring. If she liked to think of the stars as sky-sailor souls reminding her she is not alone, then it doesn’t make sense for her to believe that it is also a lie. It would make more sense if the star/soul thing was a common belief wherever this protag is from. That would then add folklore to your story, and strengthen your characterisation of the protag when you show us she doesn’t buy it.

Those beautiful illusions were all that kept me whole when I sailed alone in dark skies.


See now we’re back to putting a positive spin on the stars. Very confusing.

I think it’s risky business opening a story with a sort-of-but-not-really prologue – the danger is that you are putting your readers into a very short scene only to yank them back out almost immediately. It has to be worth it, you have to really nail one of the elements I mentioned before. I feel like I got a hint of everything but was left with not a whole lot more than what I had at the start of the story.

I woke to a clear, cool atmosphere and sunlight on the horizon.


Next scene opens with sky too. Also waking up is a cliché opening. Again, the sky has been a go-to for me in the past, and even my current story opens with three scenes in a row of waking up . . . just letting you know that people think it’s cliché.

Kyo and Kya


I already dislike how similar their names are and hope they are not pivotal characters . . .

After pulling on a faded dress and twisting my hair into a braid, I eyed my reflection in a shard of mirror.


Introducing character descriptions with your protag looking in a mirror is seen as one of the most cliché setups you can include in your writing. Also "shard of mirror" is confusing, where is this shard? Is it hung on a wall where the entire mirror used to be?

The sky was clear, the sun was bright, and I would be reunited with Kyo and Kya, my canid puppies, soon.


This was unnecessary – no need to summarise the last three sentences.

I knew how to steer using the tiller, how to adjust the sail and the wings on the outside of the ship, how to turn the valve on the metal box to descend and ascend. I refilled the container of red powder in the box every week- but I didn’t know much else.

Ma and Pa had never taught me how to sail.

Years ago, when supplies were running low, I had dug the airship out of the shed and taught myself. Now I could fly, though I still didn’t know much. The box, the powder, all of the questions that would never be answered


This would flow better if you started with the line about “Ma and Pa,” then followed with the paragraph “Years ago,” and add snippets of the first paragraph somewhere after “I taught myself”.

After a while of thoughtfully watching sky and sea, I pulled my sketchbook out and skimmed through the weathered pages to pass time.


Rule of thumb, if your protag is bored then your readers probably are too. At this point I am wondering where the story is!

There were pages upon pages of Kyo and Kya, running, playing, fighting, hunting. There were sketches of Cloudfins, graceful in their layers of flapping wings as they glided from tree to tree. A drawing of Drifter, carrying me, my canids, and two indistinct figures across the sea. To the places I’d only read about. To cities full of people and life.
Something twisted in my heart, and I stuffed the sketchbook away.


Okay this was pretty good – I get the set up with the sketchbook now. I just feel this could come later in the story once the actual story has kicked off. But yeah good job here! I love “something twisted in my heart” – as a reader you just immediately get the sense that this protag has very big dreams and they are not being fulfilled.

A gust of wind crashed into my ship.

I was thrown to the side, but managed to grab the mast. The airship spun through open air like a leaf in a storm- a speck against an endless sky. The sail caught the wind, ropes stretched tight as Drifter was battered back and forth. For what felt like an eternity, I was frozen at the sight of dark water waiting miles below.


It’s an airship. How is a gust of wind having this much impact? One of three things is wrong with this. 1) the gust of wind is more powerful than you have described and you need to elaborate on just how strong it is. 2) airships are not very good inventions in this world, which wouldn’t make sense. 3) Reysa isn’t a very skilled sailor so did something wrong to make the wind have this kind of effect.

I’d go with option 3 as it makes the most sense. Make it more obvious that this close-call was caused by her ineptitude.

###

Oh no. I’ve done it again. I’ve written a review that’s longer than the story.

Overall, these are my main comments:

1) You describe the sky way too much. But Zoom, it’s a story about airships and sky-sailors--how does one not describe the sky? That’s actually a good point. I guess it’s more about when in the story to describe the sky rather than how often. At the moment these descriptions are feeling a bit thrown in and are serving as a hurdle for readers to get around rather than helping to set the mood. The sky can do a lot to set tone because the sky has sooo many different ranges of colour, weather, texture etc, just like your story will have a variety of emotions and moods. Work on letting the two work together in a more cohesive way.

2) Nothing is happening. Well, okay, not nothing. But for the people like me who have a short attention span, we need the action, we need the conflict. Don’t get me wrong, stories can have a slow start, but only as long as they compensate in another area. This leads on to point 3:

3) Think about what you are promising your readers. The first few pages should be dropping down something major like setting, conflict, premise, storyline etc. You are making a promise of “this is what my story will be about”. The only implication to storyline/premise so far is that Reysa wants her parents to return so she can become a sky-sailor and leave Santhil to explore the world. That’s the promise you are making, and so far, it isn’t very compelling because we don’t know things like, why is it going to be exciting to be a sky-sailor? Why is the world beyond Santhil going to captivate us? What I am saying is, make sure your “promise” is accurate and consistent, and that it is something the readers will want to know more about.

4) You’ve done a good job with characterisation, you were mostly consistent and I loved the hints at how lonely and desperate for adventure Reysa is. I think characterisation is very difficult to pull off but whatever you are doing, it’s working, so keep that up.

5) I’m still not really clear on the whole airship concept, how they work, what they look like, why people are sky-sailors at all. Are airships only used for travel or do they tie in with actual professions? I’m not suggesting you include all of that in this opening but maybe just give us something more to go on. It’s actually good that you have raised all of these questions in my head.

So yeah, I'm very intrigued and would like to be tagged going forward!

-Zoom






Thanks for the review! If I post the next chapter, I'll tag you. This was a lot of help and really eye-opening.. I'm glad I posted my story, because I probably would've ended up ignoring these problems otherwise.



Zoom says...


I know what you mean! I'd hate to get far into a story to then learn which areas I could improve on. By the way I thought about this story a lot today so something about it certainly stuck in my head!





Haha, at least it's memorable. :)
By the way, I edited it a bit. I haven't dealt with all of the problems you pointed out, but I tried to clear up some confusion.




All we can do is our best, and hope that it was enough.
— CandyWizard