The Assassin

by Alfredo

The moon stared at him as it glared the raven sky. It was just past midnight and the city was silent. With the exception of the night club, you could hear, in the distance, the booming noise of the speakers that scattered fortissimo notes. He stood at the back of the club patiently, as if he was expecting someone. Motionless, almost invisible, camouflaged perfectly into the ebony wall. His right hand was the only visible part of his body, his palm was sizeable, the fingers were lengthy but bony, for it looked like he has holding the exterior of his dextral pocket, as if verifying its content. Finally, he pierced through his pocket, seeking deep for an object, when he pulled his hand out, he had a ring around his index finger. He was immobile for a second, he glanced at his watch, then reacted as if waking from a deep sleep. Heading for the back door, followed only by his shadow, he entered.

The niterie was overflowing with people, who were all facing the opposite direction. At the anterior of the discotheque there was a stage that resembled an altar, however, it didn’t have thrones and knights, even so, it had speakers, monitors, turntables, and a king with a headset around his neck ruling on his kingdom, making everyone dance like soldiers obeying their sovereign. Along the left wall of the spacious room, there was a bar, stacked with bottles of many types of alcohol luminated by fluorescent, flaring, fulgurate lights. Adjacent to the protracted counter, numerous stools were occupied by a variety of people. The club was so crowded, there was barley space to move, in addition people seemed unaware of each other, drunk, high, bouncing in unison.

At the café, there was a young lady sitting, drinking, and laughing with a friend. The bar was supporting their drinks and often preventing them from falling off. They were enjoying themselves stupendously, oblivious to the sickening occurrence on the verge of developing.

As he identified the juvenile woman, he advanced budging through the mass. He progressed behind the lady and ordered a shot. His next movement was agonizing but brilliant. Discreetly, he unbalanced the chair of the lady who fell subsequently. As the friend reached down to aid the youthful girl, he did the same, simultaneously apologizing for his actions.

“Can I offer you a drink?”

He demanded, while helping her get up.

“No don’t bothe...”

“Please, that’s the least I can do.”

“Um, okay, if you insist.”

She responded, blushing and giggling.

The beverage was served, he approached it to her, lifting it with his right hand by the top of the glass. “Thank you!” She exclaimed.

“My pleasure.”

He replied as he downed his shot, the girl went back to her conversation and he proceeded to leave.

As he vanished through the army of people there was a thud, followed by a strident, sonorous, scream. As he was coursing down the parking the music ceased, the noisy silence was interrupted by the collision of the ring on the drenched asphalt. The minuscule excess of venom mixed flawlessly with the wetness of the pavement

5/11/2021

First Impression: This was a pretty lovely scene I think. You captured the idea of this assassin really well and the flow was just about as smooth as this assassin managed to be. I think it really highlighted things in just about the right place here.

Oooh this is a lovely start right here. Its a bit on the longer side there with the paragraph which is a teeny bit of an issue because it does make it a little tougher to read that way but besides that there's a lovely bit of tension created here and I think it does a wonderful job of really creating the image of this secret assassin hidden in the shadows waiting for the moment to strike.

This is quite a nice bit of detail. It always fun to have a solid view of the surroundings especially for a scene quite as tense as this one, although I have to say once again we run into the paragraph length issue because this one really is quite the wall of text here.

Well this is a very smooth motion here. I love the flow of these two pieces. The paragraphs for these are far more reasonably sized and the way you zoom on in this one woman that's clearly meant to be some sort of target and then have our mysterious assassin swoop in so smoothly there is very nicely done.

She responded, blushing and giggling.

“My pleasure.”

As he vanished through the army of people there was a thud, followed by a strident, sonorous, scream. As he was coursing down the parking the music ceased, the noisy silence was interrupted by the collision of the ring on the drenched asphalt. The minuscule excess of venom mixed flawlessly with the wetness of the pavement

This is a lovely place to end here. I think it brings the whole thing to a wonderful conclusion here with the way you have this person very easily convince the obviously off balance woman and then just hand off the poison and run off. Its a little bit careless I feel for this person to just leave immediately, because as smart as it is to run off so quickly, not confirming if the target did drink the poison seems like a rookie mistake as is dropping the ring so close to the crime scene. I think perhaps having this person wait for the drink to be finished and then leave with the ring being disposed of a bit more securely would compliment that smoothed and very practiced feel a bit better.

Overall: Overall I think this is a really strong piece here. It has a few minor issues and a couple of nitpicks to it but its a pretty strong scene and I think you manage to capture the vibe that you were going for pretty well here.

Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:41 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

This was quite intriguing. Let's get into it.
Characters:The main character is obviously the assassin. Now, I wonder if he is a positive character or negative character. An assassin need not always be a negative character. His intentions should be taken into account. Did he have any sort of enmity with her? That can be a probable cause or maybe he was hired by someone to do it and he did it only for money.Or maybe he has some sort of political grudge towards the person? Or maybe the person is just an important person and not a political figure. Who knows. I think you should clarify a bit on this aspect, the intention, I mean. You don't have to tell directly. Some indirect methods will do like her some political things fell down from her bag(If it is concerned with politics).

Plot:Wow.I quite liked it. It's quite a very normal idea to kill someone by poisoning but the way you represented it was quite unique, I think. You could always mention that the woman was in the V.I.P area. That would make much more sense. Also, I don't think alll people facing the opposite direction without no reason is a very practical thing. You should either add a reason or remove that line. Also, I was amazed when literally no one reacted when the lady fell down. Well, a night club is a place which is considered for people of higher class and the people in there are generally a bit too caring about the society. Now, his descriptions are of not very high class. So, I would expect people to be a bit arrogant towards him... Anyway, the rest of the plot was great.

Setting:Wow. This was the best in my opinion. I could see the whole thing happening in front of my eyes. You could provide some descriptions of the woman tho. That is the only place where I felt that the descriptions are missing. Other than that, they were fantastic. The little details here and there helped a lot to understand the scene and the tune in which you wrote too contributed to it.

All in all, it was a pretty good story.

Keep Writing!

~Forever

RandomTalks wrote a review...

RandomTalks here with a short review!

Wow...this story was short, simple and yet so very...intimidating in it's tone and setting. The title itself gave me some idea about the story, but the voice of narration itself has this foreboding energy to it and you just know that something very bad is going to happen. Your descriptions are very vivid and they helped set the scene and the mood for the story. The imageries you used and the subtle comparisons have this somber quality to them. We don't know much, or rather anything about the narrator or why he is an assassin and why he killed the young man, but I think the purpose of the story was rather the descriptions than the answers behind those whys.

His right hand was the only visible part of his body, his palm was sizeable, the fingers were lengthy but bony, for it looked like he has holding the exterior of his dextral pocket, as if verifying its content.

At the anterior of the discotheque there was a stage that resembled an altar, however, it didn’t have thrones and knights, even so, it had speakers, monitors, turntables, and a king with a headset around his neck ruling on his kingdom, making everyone dance like soldiers obeying their sovereign.

These two are single sentences and as you can probably see, they are too long and the second one can probably constitute as a small paragraph. Long sentences without a break disrupt the flow of the story and make it difficult for the reader to follow. Maybe you could simplify it down into shorter sentences so that it is easier for the reader.

As he identified the juvenile woman, he advanced budging through the mass.

Since we know nothing about the characters in the story, the term 'juvenile' seems a little too strong here. It can be an independent opinion of course, but still.

“Can I offer you a drink?”

He demanded, while helping her get up.

Similarly, the word 'demanded' comes off as a little too strong here. I think 'requested' would fit better.

I think there can be some improvement with the punctuation and the sentence construction, but over all this was a really great story.

Keep writing and have a great day!

LittleLee wrote a review...

Greetings, Alfredo!

Wow, this story is quite something, huh? Short and simple with no lengthy backstories. I like it. The diction was pretty good and created some fetching visuals, and the ending was great!

I do have a few pointers you could look at, though.

One thing that glares out is that you've used commas excessively. One example is right here: "With the exception of the night club, you could hear, in the distance, the booming noise of the speakers that scattered fortissimo notes" where punctuation has gone to be a little extreme. IcyFlame already pointed out how you could correct it, so I suggest you go through her review again.
This extends throughout the piece. A lot of sentences really drag on and it couldn't hurt to replace a few commas with fullstops.

making everyone dance like soldiers obeying their sovereign.

This simile is a little strange... could you perhaps change it to read, "like puppets dancing on their master's strings?"

The club was so crowded, there was barley space to move,

I think you mean barely?

As he identified the juvenile woman,

If you mean to say young woman, say so. Juvenile indicates that she's underage, in which case calling her a woman is... odd.

he approached it to her,

It's just approached her. There is no need for the "it to."

The minuscule excess of venom mixed flawlessly with the wetness of the pavement

Nice bit of description here that wrapped up your story pretty well.

My overall impression is that you've clearly put in effort and time into writing this, and it's certainly commendable. It isn't as enthralling as the description promises - no offence - but it makes for an enjoyable read nonetheless. It just needs a little work. :)

Have a god day, and keep writing!

~ Lee

Hey Alfredo, welcome to YWS!

I'm Icy, and I'm going to leave you a quick review on this piece of work :) If you have any questions about any of the comments I make - or about the site in general then feel free to reply to this review or shoot me a message separately!

Anyway, onto the actual review...

The moon stared at him as it glared the raven sky.

This is a lovely opening sentence, it sets the dark tone for the beginning of the piece really well and it's a good hook for your reader!

. It was just past midnight and the city was silent. With the exception of the night club, you could hear, in the distance, the booming noise of the speakers that scattered fortissimo notes.
.
I would restructure this part a little, combine the first two sections as otherwise one sentence directly contradicts the previous one:
It was just past midnight, and with the exception of the nightclub in the distance, the city was silent

He stood at the back of the club patiently, as if he was expecting someone.

I think this could be the start of a new paragraph.

Along the left wall of the spacious room, there was a bar, stacked with bottles of many types of alcohol luminated by fluorescent, flaring, fulgurate lights. Adjacent to the protracted counter, numerous stools were occupied by a variety of people. The club was so crowded, there was barley space to move, in addition people seemed unaware of each other, drunk, high, bouncing in unison.

Again, some really nice description in here, it's very enjoyable to read!

“Can I offer you a drink?”

He demanded, while helping her get up.

This can all be on one line. Also, demanded seems like a strange choice of words here given he seems to be being pretty polite?

This is a little rushed in comparison to the rest of the piece and I think you could expand on it, slow it down to really increase the tension. Is he worried he'll get caught? Does he feel remorse?

This was a great first piece overall though, I really enjoyed reading it!

~Icy

Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:32 am

Hey! FlamingPhoenix here to review your short story! Hahah I was a little confused when I saw there were three stories in a row with the same now. I wonder if it's just happened to be posted that way. Oh well lets get down to the review!

Oh my gosh this is a really wonderful description! This man is so mysterious and I wonder that the deal with the ring is? Is it connected to something or someone? I know this is a short story but I love how you open it with us being pulled into the scene you have created so wonderfully! I really like this description.

And you follow the first description with another one, just wonderful! I really do love your choice of words, it just brings so much life to the setting! Great job!

I wonder why his watching this lady? Is she his wife that why he has a ring? She's very drunk too. Lol

I wonder what she's up too. Did the lady do something bad to him, or is her being paid to do this? So many questions.

“Can I offer you a drink?”

He demanded, while helping her get up.

“No don’t bothe...”

“Please, that’s the least I can do.”

“Um, okay, if you insist.”

She responded, blushing and giggling.

“My pleasure.”

Very smooth! it didn't take very long for her to cave in, I mean I know she's a little drunk but I thought she would have refused a little more than she did.

As he vanished through the army of people there was a thud, followed by a strident, sonorous, scream. As he was coursing down the parking the music ceased, the noisy silence was interrupted by the collision of the ring on the drenched asphalt. The minuscule excess of venom mixed flawlessly with the wetness of the pavement.

Oh my gosh I didn't even think of that! He slipped poison into her drink. That was a very unexpected assassination, but very well played. I'm still wondering what the lady did though. That's something I think could be addressed in the story to make it less confusing.

This was a very nice story! The description was amazing and the plot was very well done! The story was short but I did enjoy it a lot!

I really enjoyed this and I hope you will continue writing and post on YWS again soon! I hope you have a great day or night!

FlamingPhoenix
Reviewing with a fiery passion.

i love me some swole chickens
— yosh