Home » Literary works » Other » Technology

My Phone Died.

by Aleta

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

"If I stop responding that means my phone died."

I am sure you have heard these words before from a friend or a family member, or even you have said it yourself. I have as well. Now, a phone is a technological object that essentially serves us and is owned by us. It has no actual brain of its own, or a pumping heart, just a multitude of cogworks that fufill our wishes. Die means to "(of a person, animal, or plant) stop living". Now, we can see that technology is not on this list. Why is it, then, we say a mindless object is about to stop physically living when it did not even live in the first place? A viable reason would be that we live in the 21st century and that technology has become the main focal point in most people's lives so subconsciously we've adapted words to such things to humanify them.

That in itself is unnerving nonetheless.This leaves my mind to wander about other things we may start to give living qualities to and will eventually evolve to being somewhat living. I am speaking of androids or robots. There can be a future in a thousand years or so where there are sex robots(as it has been commonly theorized). Yeah, the androids are still serving us, but we still think they are alive and we give them human-like qualities or adapt them to be like humans. Is it not then that the technology we've created with our own hands will be fully human and superior to us? We must distinguish what is human and what is not before they are human. 

Now, there are some teenagers in today's society who can have actual panic attacks for not having their phone on them, or if they lose their phone they freak out. This is also an odd behavior. It's like we are mourning the actual death of the phone or the resemblance of panic when we can't find a family member. The phone is the gateway to social media, music, apps etc. but some people act like its such a big deal if its not with them. Technology is becoming frighteningly promiment in our lives, although it not being a bad thing, leads to more reliance on it in the future. This can be for bad or for good depending on what the government decides doing.

Life is a precious thing, so why are we incorporating it into inventions to mimic human nature? We should not rely on technology to make our actions flawless, but instead by re-constructing society. My proposition I have just offered, however, is only something that will exsist in an utopia; unless society is re-constructed in a more devastating fashion into a dystopia. My point is, we should objectify technology more because if we humanify it more,--and of course androids being more intelligent as its basically a computer--, androids could at some point could become or be known as relatively human.

Elijah says...

Unknown why but the review got sent twice

Elijah wrote a review...

Hey there, Eli here from Team Marlins on this review day!

Why I find so many relatable things to read and reviews today, I really do not know, maybe this is my luck hm? Anyways, simple thought is put into this work.

The way you compare the living being with the robot, the machine, something man-made and actually with no heart and organs like ours is amuzing. I have never thought of this aspect of everything. I have heard the phrase about the dead phone so many times. And I have told it many times, my friends had, who more? Everyone, of course!

It is incredible to now notice how you just blindly depend on one box darkness that magically opens up the gates towards a new world. To many different world. It is scary to think of it now, honestly, to depends on something so small, something that we always say we can just drop and break. And it is right, we break phones so easily. What if we end up using these devices for things that we can do on our own already? Wouldn't that be useless? But we still find the technology so useful that we can not let it go anymore.

This work really made me think of how the future on our planet will be like though I have a feeling they might be no future as we are using so much devices it is surely blowing the planet up.

Dracula wrote a review...

Hey there! Here are my random thoughts as I read this which may be of help... :)

It has no actual brain of its own, or a pumping heart, just a multitude of cogworks that fufill our wishes.
I'm not sure that cogworks is the right word. Phones don't use cogs, so to speak. They use wires and circuit boards, right? Just a multitude of electrical bits and bobs? Something like that might sound more accurate.

Why is it, then, we say a mindless object is about to stop physically living when it did not even live in the first place?
I actually love the whole topic of your piece. I find the future of androids and tech very interesting. We've made films like the Terminator which show just how dangerous this stuff can get. Yet we still keep developing them. WHY???

There can be a future in a thousand years or so where there are sex robots(as it has been commonly theorized).
Mature content...

There are already sex robots, unfortunately. I actually read a newspaper article about it this very morning.

Is it not then that the technology we've created with our own hands will be fully human and superior to us?
It's like the problem that you get when the student becomes better than the teacher. There's a Star Wars quote about that which might fit this piece. Darth Vader says: I’ve been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master.

The phone is the gateway to social media, music, apps etc. but some people act like its such a big deal if its not with them
I think there's some sentences when you make claims, but don't give any reasoning to back them up. For example, you could expand on this point by explaining WHY it's such a big deal when it's not with them.

androids could at some point could become or be known as relatively human.
So is your essay supporting robots becomming human? I have to admit from reading the start, I thought you were taking the opposite view point. It sounded to me like it was presented as a problem, not a positive.

Anyway, I found this to be an interesting read. Those were my thoughts. :D

Aleta says...

Nah not supporting that all. Thanks for the enlightening information, crazy we already have those types of robots..

Werthan wrote a review...

...But do they dream of electric sheep?

I'm not sure how you could get through this all without bringing up Philip K. Dick, although this is largely an argument against his conclusions (although from an entirely different perspective). It's kind of ridiculous that this is rated 16+ just for mentioning a phone dying and sex robots. This also reminds me of something I read about AI and fascism that I think is pretty much the clinching argument against AI, transhumanism (at least the Singularity people, not necessarily just people who want to be cyborgs) and the rest. I think reality is what people make it, so I agree people shouldn't subordinate themselves to their own creation. Hello, Frankenstein's Monster. Really this essay just makes me want to dialogue (probably because it's short) so I'd call it a success.

Aleta says...

Ah funny you mention electric sheep. Reminds me of a hilarious film some kid did last year where he put a peaceful film of grazing sheep then changed it into an edited sheep with a robotic face and creepy music and everyone screamed. Fun times. I just rated it 16 since I didn't want anyone getting triggered over the mention of sex robots. I will however check out Philip K.'s works as I haven't read them as of yet. Thanks for the insightful commentary. :)

Everything has a consequence and every consequence leads to death.
— kattee