12+

Butterfly Wings - Prologue - Spores

by BlackThorne

The deer looked silver in the moonlight. Silver, as they nibbled on grass in the clearing, ringed by thick pine trees that swallowed up sound.Their cloven hooves made no noise as they picked their way delicately over the carpet of needles. Wind whistled, over the stars muted by clouds blue in the darkening twilight. But deer don’t care for the stars.

Maybe they should have. Maybe they’d have been able to run.

When one of them fell.

A pinprick of light blinked in the smooth black bowl of night, flashing through the atmosphere and trailing a glowing tail of gases and stardust. There was a sizzling sound. The ozone peeled away layers of ice and rock as fire swam over the surface, sending a spray of sparks and burning pieces of meteorite into the sky.

BOOM

The dirt exploded out from under it and the rock underneath split. It shook apart the trees and stripped branches of their needles and made the carpet of needles bubble up in clouds of ash. Trees were ripped from their roots like weeds and torn from limb to limb, as flakes of bark and cellulose rippled in gusts of sawdust. Every organic fragment of the humus was shot through with burns and the burrowing worms curled like withered leaves.

The Meteorite.

It lay, cradled by the crater of hardened earth it had carved out for itself. Swaths of dirt chunks fanned from its burrow, as it smoldered like a hot coal, seething in blazing fever and rippling heat over the skeletal remains of its landing sight. A steaming path was cut through pines of mile off, telling the tale of its fall as the honey-dipped needles crackled and shot tongues of flame from between scaly embers. The hot pores on the pockmarked surface were rimmed with a gilding of white-hot gold, the cool flats with a dull red glow.

So. The Meteorite had landed.

It would have been fine. The affected deer population would be stunned for a while, and the pebbles and debris burned into their skins would bleed. They would lay, muscles taut in aftershock, ropes that tangled them in frozen stillness, for a few minutes, maybe longer. Their eyes would be glazed and they would probably wander in a daze for a day or two. They wouldn’t get to finish nibbling on the grass. It would be a while before it would grow back. It would be a while before anything would grow back, but not too long. They’d live.

It would have been fine.

The Meteorite Landing. It would have been fine.

If the Fates hadn’t conspired. Conspired the gross unluck of the frozen permafrost beneath the pine needles.

One that held a deadly plague.

As the meteorite drove into the earth, frost crystals frozen for millenia turned to steam, bubbles of steam that burst and made the soil fizz like a freshly opened soda. Clods of old dirt mixed with new, free from the cage of time, free of the ice and cold that had trapped it there for centuries.

Mingling with spores.

Spores. Spores of a deadly fungus. Spores that flew like seagulls through the air in a flurry of ashes and cosmic dust. Dusts forged in the heart of young stars, particles of nebulae, pieces of planets, shards of asteroid and comet. Young space dust and broken pieces of ancient meteorite, mixing with fresh pine needles and dirt long stale, with the spores. The spores that outlived them all.

It was a powerful and searing fusion, a marriage of young stardust and timeworn mycology, atoms forming links and bonds and particles snapping together in chains and rings.

To form something more powerful.

Ah yes. The spores.

Those are exactly why…

it wasn’t fine.

It was more than space dust. It was more than dirt. It was in the air. The spores. As their wet deer lungs pumped, absorbing air, taking in oxygen through branching networks of sacs, they breathed in more than dust.

They breathed in death.

It didn’t take long for the spores to take root. The fleshy deer insides were warm and moist, with plenty of nutrients for them to feed on. As the weeks slipped by, they started to grow, on the rubbery walls, in the thick, suffocating moisture of the cavernous empty spaces within, a fine layer of mildew, a few moldering flakes here and there, in the creases and folds. They grew just fine, on that pulsating, wet surface. Flat, thin growths sprouted through. They grew thin and webbed, stretched with a net of veins, squeezing between organs and crawling across messes of nerves and stringy, throbbing veins, skimming off nutrients, molecular packets of energy, life force, leeching off their vitality like parasites. Their muscles weakened, their eyes becoming glazed, and their hoofsteps languid and listless.

The fungus grew. It looked a lot like butterfly wings.

After they’d filled the cracks between the innards, they wormed their way out through their skin, sprouting between deer fur, growing up their sinuous necks like a frost of mussels coating the timbers of sunken wreck. They bloomed from their eyes and rooted in their brain, sapping them of their strength and robbing them of their grace.

The disease was beautiful. It was like butterfly wings.

Their skin pinched around their hollow bodies. They had been emptied like tea mugs, left to rot on the countertop with the wings blossoming from them like mold. Their organs had withered, their hearts were sluggish, their breaths were few, they couldn’t think, they couldn’t see. Nothing inside but a few bites of leaf torn feverishly from nettles and thorns, with their serrated-leaf stings helpless on the deadened nerves. Nothing inside but the butterfly wings.

They soon died. It was barely a death, for the thing that now wandered mindlessly on crooked legs could hardly be called living. After a while, they simply sunk to their knees and sat on the pine needles for days, often weeks, staring at nothing, and then got up to stumble around again. You only could tell if they were dead when the flies started to land on them, or when they met the grisly fate of being torn limb to limb by hungry wolves with lean sinews rippling under their fur, smearing translucent blood over the earth. But there were hardly any good parts left, or any at all. Even the ravens pulled only a few lobes and left the rest to rot.

It would’ve been fine. Only the flies cared for those deer.

It would have.

Nearby was a town. It didn’t really matter what it was like. One of the deer had wandered into a yard there, and died without a breath in the soft grass. The rolled-back eyeballs leaked lifelessly like pickled eggs and the stringy, torn fur coated it like a tangle of stubby weeds. One of its legs had a bullet lodged, matted with dried blood and leaking pus. Its death was long overdue.

It was fine. No one really lived there.

There it lay, splayed, eaten from the inside to the out.

Nothing happened to it, really, it just died and rotted. Flies laid their eggs in the skin and maggots ate at the flesh, crawling out of the eyes like wriggling grains of rice. Crows plucked a few sinews from the flanks. Beetles ate the flesh off the bones. The waters of time rolled over it, as rotting flower petals and leaves covered it. Layer upon layer, rotting beneath the snow, going down deep as earthworms ate away at the leaves and churned it into soil, giving it a slow, gradual burial as the months and years patted a thin layer of ground over it.

It was only a thin one. But it would’ve been fine. The spores had nothing left to feed on.

The town seemed to rot along with the deer, getting rougher and rougher, emptier and emptier, more riddled with tears and blood as melodramas wormed their way between the floorboards.

A baby fell out the window of the house, where the deer had died. No one even knew it’d been born, and no one knew it’d died. It was a perfect little tragedy. It was never even moved from where it fell. It was never buried. Never named.

But it’d fallen and died on that thin layer of earth, where underneath, lay the deer.

It’d been particularly humid that year.

RadDog13579 wrote a review...

Hi, @BlackThorne, RadDog here! I know I'm incredibly late to this but I saw chapter 15 in the green room and I thought for RevMo I would review this. Anyways, this is an amazing start. You're very descriptive in your language and it felt like I was there. The prologue almost reminds me of a book called Fuzzy Mud. The one thing I would change is try to give more hints about the theme. At first I thought it was scifi with the meteorite but then I thought it would be maybe apocalypse with the deadly mushroom but then the dead baby made me think of crime. I would like a more definitive answer as to what the genre is, especially in the prologue when things really kick off. Anyways, this was an amazing prolouge and I can't wait to read the next chapter. (I'll be reviewing all the way to chapter 7 today to reach the deadline in time) Thats all from me. Until we meet again, happy writing!

-RadDog

BlackThorne says...

Thanks for the review! :D The genre should technically be scifi, I suppose, but I think it also has some strong supernatural/horror vibes.

Miraculor77 wrote a review...

Hey! I saw the latest chapter of this in the Green Room and thought I'd start from the beginning. I'll give comments/critiques as I read.

Maybe they should have. Maybe they’d’ve been able to run.

When one of them fell.

"They'd've" is a very interesting word to use, because it's so uncommon. Most people would have used "they would've," and I would have written it as "Maybe then they would've been able to run."

But the way you write it sounds different and slightly unconventional. It's a nice change.

BOOM

The dirt exploded out from under it and the rock underneath split.

The imagery here is intense. I really like how you use a separate line to drop this... bombshell, for lack of a better word. :)

Trees were ripped from their roots like weeds and torn from limb to limb, as flakes of bark and cellulose rippled in gusts of sawdust. Every organic fragment of the humus was shot through with burns and the burrowing worms curled like withered leaves.

The words cellulose and humus add an almost scientific touch to the description. If that's the direction you want to go, then you did a great job. However, I did not know what "humus" meant and had to look up the definition. It is a lesser known word so I suggest replacing it or clarifying it. This is completely a personal style thing, so it might just be me.

The Meteorite.

So is that the meteorite's name? I'm assuming that you capitalized it because it plays a really specific role in the story and as such, needs a name.

They would lay, muscles taut in aftershock, ropes that tangled them in frozen stillness, for a few minutes, maybe longer. Their eyes would be glazed and they would probably wander in a daze for a day or two.

I just love your description. So beautiful, so nice to read.

Young space dust and broken pieces of ancient meteorite, mixing with fresh pine needles and dirt long stale, with the spores. The spores that outlived them all.

Wait. Can that actually happen? Can there be a frozen fungus underground that can come alive?
Scary.....
*shudder*

What does mycology mean?

As their[/] wet lungs pumped, absorbing air, taking in oxygen through branching networks of sacs, they breathed in more than dust.

Who's "their" referring to? You might want to be a bit more specific, like so:
"As the deer's wet lungs pumped, absorbing air, taking in...."
I only mention this because for a moment, I thought that the spores had lungs.
The fleshy insides were warm and moist, with plenty of nutrients for them to feed on.

Fleshy insides of what? I'd write the sentence like this:
"The fleshy insides of the deer were warm and moist, with plenty of nutrients for the spores to feed on."
But that's just me. Do what you think sounds better. :)

As the weeks slipped by, they started to grow, on the rubbery walls, in the thick, suffocating moisture of the cavernous empty spaces within, [b]A fine layer of mildew, a few moldering flakes here and there, in the creases and folds.

Is "A" supposed to be capitalized?

Oh. Ohhhh.
That's why it's called Butterfly Wings.

After a while, hey simply sunk to their knees and sat on the pine needles for days, often weeks, staring at nothing, and then got up to stumble around again.

I'm pretty sure that's a type. "They," not "hey."

One of its legs had a bullet lodged, matted with dried blood and leaking pus. Its death was long overdue.

It was fine. No one really lived there.

Bullet. Humans do live there. Not many, perhaps, but they definitely exist. This just got so much more interesting.

Nothing happened to it, really, [b]It[b/] just died and rotted.

I don't think that was supposed to be capitalized.

A baby fell out the window of the house, where the deer had died.

Oh no. No. no. no no no nonononono.....

It’d been particularly humid that year.

Ohmgod no.
It's alive again.....

Final thoughts:

consider
Something you might want to consider is your word choice. Some of the words you use sound almost scientific and aren't very emotional, giving the reader a different perspective on things. But a lot of the words you use aren't known widely, which could be confusing to younger readers. I know that this work is meant for 12 years and older people, but I'm 14 and I didn't understand some of the words you used.

Also, typos. You had a few typos, nothing much to worry about, but you should try to comb through your writing and fix them. I pointed out what I could, if that helps.

what I liked
I thought that this was an amazingly vivid prologue, something I'm not used to reading. The paragraph breaks really affect the pacing, drawing out all the right moments. The way you use commas is also interesting; you use them to affect the way the writing reads and make it all sound more... rhythmic. Not a conventional approach, but it makes your writing sound almost poetic.

That's all I have for now. If you could tag me for future updates, I would really appreciate it, but it'll take me a while to catch up on everything.

Keep writing,
Mira

P.S.: That last sentence was horrifying, but subtle. It leaves a good end note.

BlackThorne says...

thanks for the review :) I appreciate you reading it so carefully!
as to your question about the possibility of an underground frozen fungus, the idea was based on a very-fun-fact I learned some time ago about diseases frozen in permafrost, which you could probably find out more about with a quick google search. so yeah, unfortunately, it's possible.

Gnomish wrote a review...

Hey there! A couple things to mention.

"Wind whistled, over the stars muted by clouds blue in the darkening twilight" Just a grammar note, but I don't think there should be a comma after whistled. Another grammar thing, I'm thinking "they'd've," might sound a little nicer if you wrote "they would have" or "they'd have" or "they would've" instead of grouping them all together.

You're really good at writing visually, and while a lot of it is beautiful and vivid, I feel like you could have left without all the descriptions at the end. Maybe that's just me being squeamish, though it definitely portrayed a certain mood.

I like the last sentence, but it implies almost an indifference to everything that had happened. I'm not sure whether you meant it to be like that or not, but either way I think it's a nice finishing detail.

This is an incredibly vivid prologue, great job!
-Gnomish

Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:46 am
jster02 wrote a review...

I never thought butterfly wings could be so scary. You've done a good job with this so far, I'm genuinely curious about what's going to happen next in the story. You also employed a very interesting style of writing, with lovely description which I really enjoyed. There was good usage of paragraph breaks throughout, which, for the most part, added to the rhythm and flow of the story. I especially liked the lines:

they breathed in more than dust.
They breathed in death.

The paragraph break created a longer pause than a simple period would have, making for a much nicer sounding bit of prose in my opinion.

That said, there were a few areas where these line breaks seemed to do a little more harm than good. For example,

So.
The Meteorite.
The Meteorite had landed.

The first two lines felt kind of unnecessary. I think simply saying "The Meteorite had landed" would've had a similar effect without taking up too much space. That's not to say every string of one-sentence paragraphs needs to go, of course. Many of them were quite poetic and fun to read, like the one right after the changes to the molecular structure are described. It probably just needs another quick read through to figure out which ones need to change.

Anyways, the slow demise of the deer manages to stay interesting, despite being a fairly straightforward chain of events. It's little details like the fact that the fungus looks like butterfly wings that really helped keep me engaged throughout. I especially liked how you used the motif, "It would've been fine," throughout the piece. It made it feel that much more poetic, and also helped drive home the point that the whole problem could've been so easily avoided.

That said, there were a couple parts that had me confused. For example when you transitioned from describing the spores themselves to telling us how the deer breathed them in, you said,

As their wet lungs pumped, absorbing air, taking in oxygen through branching networks of sacs, they breathed in more than dust.

There's nothing particularly wrong with this sentence, but it took me a moment to realize that you were talking about the deer from earlier. You'd gone so long without mentioning them, I didn't realize "they" was referring to them. This could be fixed simply by replacing the first "their" with "the deer's."

The only other nitpicky thing I noticed about this chapter was this sentence:

They often simply sunk to their knees and sat on the pine needles for days, often weeks, staring at nothing, and then got up to stumble around again.

You used the word "often" twice, which feels a little repetitive. Maybe just change the second "often" to "sometimes," or something?

All that aside though, I enjoyed this first part, and will probably read the next few chapters sometime soon. (That last line seems like a really cool way to lead into the first chapter, by the way). Anyways, have a nice day!

-Jster

BlackThorne says...

thank you! i appreciate the review very much, thanks for the feedback! :D

jster02 says...

You're welcome!

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:54 am
TurtleslikeTea wrote a review...

This is a VERY visual introduction. It's almost too visual for some people, but I don't mind it. You can definitely easily picture everything, especially the rotting deer. I don't particularly care for the last sentence, but then again I haven't read the next part. Overall, I think that this is very interesting and definitely a book I would at least pick up at a bookstore if not purchase it. I love how you almost can picture what the writer/you is/are thinking while writing this. The only thing I'm not sure about is the narrator. Will they be a character that is just giving us background information or will it be 3rd person? I feel like I'll figure it out once I read the next part. All of this could (if not should) remain the same, I just wanted to say what ONE reader was thinking while reading this :) Great job!

BlackThorne says...

thanks, that's very kind! as to your questions, the last sentence is an expansion to the last part of how the plague was reawakened. I planned for the reader to infer that was a factor that allowed the plague to spread, though tentatively-some might make the connection, some might not. as to the other thing, the narrator is a generic third-person omniscient perspective expressly for the prologue. the first three chapters after the prologue are available, (as this story was written for nanowrimo in november, making it only a matter of acquiring points to publish them) and you can read that the perspective for the rest of the book is switching viewpoints between third person limited.

RanaNoodles wrote a review...

This was a really great prologue. The description was beautifully written, even though it’s a little gross at parts (especially the rotting deer). You go into whole paragraphs just of describing things, and it actually worked with the tone of the story.
I also like how you start with a single moment, and then the rest of the prologue goes through like twenty years. You connected it with ‘it would’ve been fine, but—‘ and then whatever made it not fine. That was really cool.
I actually wouldn’t change anything, this prologue was great.
Keep doing what you’re doing!
-Rana Noodles

BlackThorne says...

thank you, that's very kind of you!

I can factcheck ur flashback outfits
— SirenCymbaline